• Published 15th Oct 2014
  • 1,450 Views, 54 Comments

Flash's Demon - Nicktendonick



When rookie royal guard Flash Senty becomes the night guard to the prison of a fearsome demon he soon finds his life turned upside down. Can Flash find the keys to his own salvation, or will this demon be his undoing, as it has for so many others?

  • ...
11
 54
 1,450

Chapter 3 - Under her horn

Chapter 3 – Under her horn

The doors shut.

The demon spoke.

And the two were now alone.

The two eyed the wall, keeping their gazes on it waiting for something to happen. Waiting for something that never came.

“I...think she’s gone…” the red mare spoke. “I actually think she’s gone.”

Flash agreed.“Well...that’s just then…then...”Flash Sentry’s eyes closed on him. With the danger passed his adrenaline began to drain out of him. Soon, without Dr. Adrenaline keeping him going his body recalled the mess of physical pain and mental exhaustion that he was in. It was a fight lost before it ever started.

His hooves shook and his body give way. Exhaustion, hunger, blood loss and injury had finally taken its toll. His body succumbed. Flash fell to the ground, unconscious.

His he faded, all he could hear was the red mare’s shout.

“Flash? FLASH!”


He saw a familiar red telekinetic aura around his own body. His eyes shot open. He tried to shoot himself up to all fours and spread both his-

Snap

“AHHHHHHHH!” Flash screamed in pain as the bone in his right wing snapped in half.

“AHH!! AHHHHHH!!!” Flash Sentry screamed as he fell on his belly and reeled in pain.

“Oh no-no-no!” a voice said. “What do we do!?”

Flash screamed again in pain.

“Uhhh... uhh... go back to sleep!”

Flash felt something strike him. Unknown magic he was too far gone to recognize. His eyes widened before growing heavy. Confusion filled Flash’s face as the pain in his body subsided and his awareness left him drifting into unconscious.


“Ok...let’s try this again. Come on Laplace, you can do this...we can do this girl...just gotta do it right... yeah...”

Flash’s eyes blinked open, his mind slowly coming to. A familiar red telekinetic glow was covering his body. Fearing the worst his eyes opened in shock and tried to get to his hooves, but his limbs didn’t budge. Flash couldn’t move an inch. He was helpless.

A shout caught him as he struggled. “Wait! Flash! Don’t move! You’re gonna break the cast again!”

His head turned. Flash looked up and noticed the purple eyed red mare in front of him.

“Stay still ok?” She said to him. “I’ll let you go as soon as I know it's safe to.”

“W-what?” Flash was reasonably confused. “Wh... what’s going on?!”

“I’m healing you. That’s what,” the red mare said back. “You passed out from your injuries earlier. So I’ve kinda been spending time healing your wounds.”

Flash looked up to her. “I see…” He said, looking to his broken wing and seeing it plastered. “You...did this?”

The red mare wore a great smile as she nodded in glee.

“...thank you…” He said.

The red mare smiled even more. If flash didn’t know any better, she also had a slight blush.

“Oh um… d-don’t mention it,” Said the cute red mare, her purple eyes dodging contact with Flash’s. “We’re royal guards, we gotta stick together after all. Service to the crown and all that jazz. Anyway, you woke up a little bit ago, freaked and re-broke your wing so I kinda cast a sleep spell on you until I well... kinda bound you with my magic.”

“Huh?” Flash said back.

“You don’t remember? Maybe you weren’t all awake, or may-oh nevermind. That’s what happened.” The red mare said. “I made a cast for your wing before I started healing it again. I’ve managed to mend the bones but if you try to use it it’s gonna snap again. Pegasus wings can be fragile you know. After that I kinda focused on the rest of your injuries, they’re mostly gone by now.”

Flash just took the information in. With enough, he asked his first real question. “How long was I out?” Flash asked her.

“You’ve been out for most of the day. Four and a half hours, ” She answered. “Thank the sun and stars there’s a clock in here.”

Flash nodded to what she said.

“So… no one came for us…” He said.

The red mare shook her head. “Nopony. They kinda abandoned us in here, at least for now. I think we’re gonna be stuck here for a while.” The red mare trotted around Flash and out of his vision.

“I tried to find some way to get out of here,” She began while out of his vision.“But I couldn’t find anything. Heck, there’s not even flowing air or power in here. It’s all done via magic, which I assume is powered by this demon. This place is completely closed off from the rest of the castle.”

“I see,” Flash replied. “So how are we gonna get out?”

Flash heard the red mare stopped trotting. “We’re not.”

“What?” Flash said back. “You can’t be serious.”

“I am. I can’t find any way to get out of this bloody room anymore. Everything is sealed up. Those double doors are the only way in or out. We’re stuck in a dank room filled with old equestrian tax laws inside a secret library in canterlot castle that nopony told us about! And even if we could get out of this room and into the library area, it only means we’d have to deal with that demon that trapped us in here.”

“She can’t be guarding the doors forever. While she’s distracted or sleeping, maybe we could-”

“I already tried that. I cast a bunch of illusion spells and even a spell to make people not to want or need anything from me and ignore my presence, and she saw right through it. It was like I wasn’t even trying and she... look I don’t want to talk about it ok? We’re not getting out of here. We just need to sit and wait for rescue. We're under her horn until then. There’s nothing more we can do.”

Flash disagreed. “There's got to be something.”

Her voice became defensive. “No, there isn't something at all.”

Flash could tell the red mare did not like the turn in the conversation, but he pressed non-the-less. “How can you give up like that?”

“W-when I tried,” she said “she threatened to kill me. I can’t fight that... that monster. We don’t stand a chance.”

It sounded like her composure was fading fast, Flash noted. Though the mare did have a point, their options were very limited. “Well, maybe you have a-” Flash began to say before the shout of the red mare cut him off.

“Fine! I cut a deal with her ok?!” Flash heard her shout, her voice breaking the further she spoke.

“I begged her not to kill us! I got on my knees like a damn little filly and begged her to spare us! Told her that we’d be worth more alive than dead okay? I promised I wouldn't try anything and if I'd keep you in line that she'd take good care of us and not harm us. What choice did I have?!” It sounded like she was about to cry.

“If I tried anything or if I had said no... if I did anything she didn't want me to do she would have killed us both on the spot! I did what I have to do to survive! I’m not going to die in here, Flash! Whatever it takes I'm getting out of this hell-hole one way or another!”

She sniffled, he wished he could see her, but she was behind her and he couldn’t. His mentally felt his own gut punching himself for pushing the girl the way he did. He could feel her telekentic aura around him tighten with her magic and emotions flowing out of her like a torrent. Flash played what she had said it through his mind.

The red mare, on her knees, as a shadowy demon stood in front of her, begging for life to a monster that had just beat the life out of her earlier. After doing Celestia-knows-what to her, forcing her to surrender and... then him calling her out for making the decision that didn't result in death. Guilt overtook him, and he spoke before his thought.

“I’m sorry.”

Laplace was standing still behind him as he tried to look at her again with no avail. He felt his gut squeeze as her magic intensified once more, her spell flowing into him. “Look, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have said that. I… I understand.”

“Huh?” She muttered.

“You're right. You made a good choice.” He said. “I'm sorry.”

Flash wasn't a hundred percent certain about those words, but he knew whose side he should be on. Deep down, he felt he wanted to help her, he needed to make sure she was ok. He wasn't sure why he had those subtle feelings, but he knew he did. Flash lamented he couldn't see her facial reaction to, all he could only see the double doors in front of him.

“Would you have done the same?” She asked him, abit randomly. Her voice no longer broken up.

Flash looked down. “N-” Flash silenced himself.

No was the pre-programmed answer. A royal guard does not submit. He does not surrender, even when outnumbered. He retains his honor and never sheds it. To protect Equestria no matter the cost, to defend the crown to the bitter end.

But Flash knew that was a total pile of manure. There was no crown here, no country. This did not endanger kingdom, and nobody but them was in danger. Just a mere pony against an unstoppable force and nothing more. Would he dive into death and abandon his little brother, abandon his mother just like that for no reason but honor? Would he toss away any dignity he had managed to scratch together, toss away any chance at having a respected life, just to get out of one situation?

Flash lowered his head. “I… I don’t know…”

The mare saw his confusion, and got her answer.

“Look, If I can heal your wings, maybe we can do something to get us out of here if the opportunity presents itself. She wasn’t smart enough to suppress my magic or disable your wings. We just have to heal up, recover our strength and tough it out for a while. And maybe if we're lucky, tomorrow she'll let us go if Shining Armor does what she wants.”

“Huh?” Flash responded.

“Oh, umm... well,” she began. “She muttered it when she was bringing me back here after I tried to get out. We’re apparently her… bargaining chips for Captain Armor. She was thinking out loud what she was going to get for trading us. Since we're in ‘good condition’ she thinks she'll get something nice for us. It seems like she's made these trades before with Captain Armor.”

What?! Flash's mind went.

Equestria does not negotiate with demons. Give an inch, and a demon will steal ten miles. Flash did not know the holy captain of Equestria's paladins well. But Flash knew that out of all people, Shining Armor, for all the heroics, the speeches, and public appearances, would not be cutting any deals with demons. But then again, there shouldn’t be a demon in Canterlot Castle in the first place.

She trotted around Flash's body, coming back into view to face him.

“So...Flash. If I let you out, you promise you won’t go getting us killed or break your wing on me?” She asked him.

Like there was much choice. Flash knew they were prisoners, and like it or not under the horn of this demon. “Yeah, I promise,” Flash said nodding.

The red mare smiled. “Alright! A promise is a promise!”

Flash felt a telekinetic aura surrounding him vanish. His body’s movement returned to him. Flash unlike before, decided not to to move his right wing. Looking, he saw the red mare’s hoof extended to help him up. She had a nice, shiny red coat. Flash would guess she just prettied herself up just to meet him, but he knew that couldn't be the case. She must have before going on her guard shift to look nice.

“My name’s Laplace,” she said.

“Flash Sentry,” he said back. With a smile, he took her hoof and helped Flash back up on his hooves.

“Nice to meet you,” Laplace said to him with a genuine smile, before the red mare ran a hoof through her slightly darker red mane. Flash noticed there were little accents of white and purple in the middle of her mane. Flash liked the look.

“I’d say the same if it wasn’t for our situation,” Flash told Laplace.

She frowned. “Right...”

Flash took in his surroundings. What Laplace said rung true. The room seemed to be nothing but a collection of bookshelves. Upon inspecting them, once again she was right.

“Equestria tax code of... wow that book's older than me,” Flash said to himself.

“Yeah, me too,” Laplace chuckled.

Flash continued to inspect the room. Nothing but a bunch of boring books. Flash then looked deeper. The ceiling had climate charms planted all over it, meant to keep the books in good condition. Magical light bulbs were strewn across the ceiling. He recognized this as the handiwork of a librarian. Most of the royal library had very similar setups. Instead of relying on other methods magic was used to keep the books safe, and provide light when they desire.

All in all, librarians were weird. Some were really really cute, but still weird.

If what Laplace said earlier was true Flash pondered, It would explain why the lights were so dim back in the main library area. The demon wasn't lighting them because she didn't need them. Flash looked and noticed the guitar again.


This is bad-oh hey a guitar."
Hmm, I guess somepony was learning how to play the guitar.”


Flash's continued this train of thought. The demon must have been trying to play the guitar before we arrived, that's why where I initially landed was lit up more than the rest of the place. If that's where she was... then... that means....

“She knew we were here from the start... she was toying with us the entire time,” Flash said out loud.

This got Laplace's attention “Huh? She only noticed us when we got to the exit.”

“No. She was where I landed after the botched teleport. She was watching us the entire time,” Flash told her.

There was a moment of silence between the two. “So we never stood a chance of getting out of here,” She said.

“For now. We just need to be patient,” Flash replied. There wasn't much else to say before a yawn broke their silence.

“Come on Flash, let's get some rest. I'm exhausted, and I know you're tired too. We're both hurt, and I need to recover my strength if I want to heal us.”

Flash closed his eyes and lazily agreed. “Okay.”

“I can continue healing your wing in the morning. And if we're lucky, tomorrow this nightmare will be all over.”

“Yeah... let's hope.”

After all, when under the horn of evil, hope is all one has left.
.

Chapter 3 – Under her horn – end