• Published 15th Oct 2014
  • 1,447 Views, 54 Comments

Flash's Demon - Nicktendonick



When rookie royal guard Flash Senty becomes the night guard to the prison of a fearsome demon he soon finds his life turned upside down. Can Flash find the keys to his own salvation, or will this demon be his undoing, as it has for so many others?

  • ...
11
 54
 1,447

Chapter 5 - Laplace, part 1

Chapter 5 – Laplace, part 1

Laplace watched as the double doors opened back up and Flash Sentry sulked through.

“Flash! You're back!” she exclaimed before her joy turned to worry as she noticed his empty expression.

“In you go,” said the white demon, trotting alongside Flash and leading him back into his “cage” of a room. Flash paid no attention to Laplace, the demon, or anything else.

The demon turned to take her leave. “Stupid Shiny pissed us off acting that way. We're gonna go blow some steam in the lab. You two have fun,” the demon said, telekinetically snatching another sandwich from the tray of food they had for herself. She turned around and proceeded to exit the old tax room, the double doors slamming behind her and locking.

Laplace looked at Flash as he walked towards the red mare.

“Hey, Flash, what happened out there? How'd it go? What's going on?” Laplace asked. “Are we getting out... of... here?”

Flash just walked right by her.

“Flash?” Laplace said.

He said nothing. When she looked at him, the life and energy in his eyes were gone. He had a blank stare as he continued to walk aimlessly.

“Flash... what happened? What's wrong?”

He continued ignore the world and walked right into wall, pushing his head up against it.

Laplace winced at the sight. How silly, she first thought, before her thoughts returned to that of her companion's mental state. The more she looked, the more worried she became. She wondered just what had happened to him, and what was going on inside the head of Flash Sentry Junior.

Flash felt like he wanted to explode. His brain kept pressing against him, too many thoughts colliding with each other, so much so he couldn't think. This, that, it, how and why all criss crossed each other at lightspeed over and over, suffocating his already stressed brain.

Am I going to get out of here?
How could she do that to them?
He's not going to give her want she wants.
What's going to happen to my family?
She really is a monster.
I'm going to flunk out because of this.
She's going to kill them.
She's never going to let me leave.

I remember her.

“FLASH!”

The combination of Laplace shouting his name and the hard strum of a guitar snapped Flash out of his own mental chaos.

“Flash! Equestria to Flash Sentry Junior,” said a frustrated Laplace before she noticed that he was now looking at her. The faraway look in his eyes had vanished, and she mentally congratulated herself. “Listen, calm down ok? You're kinda freaking me out...”

Laplace was right, he needed to clear his head. He needed some air. Instinctively looking up to the ceiling he had an internal laugh seeing no sky to soar in. He then looked at Laplace again, and saw the guitar held in her telekinesis. He knew the demon had used it just prior to Laplace snatching it by chance. And by chance, it was here for him. Flash thanked Celestia for her blessing and walked to the guitar and its holder.

“Uh, Flash?” she said, still confused.

“Do you mind?” Flash asked. She didn't resist, and Flash got the guitar in his hooves.

Just holding a guitar felt good. The acoustic guitar was in good shape. Flash plucked a string, hearing it perfectly in tune, maybe even more so than his own. He tested each string to check their condition and fell in love with the instrument as he did, each strum tearing another layer of the world’s worry off him, soon leaving just him and his instrument.

Flash began to play .


Flash began playing a simple melody of a few notes and a few simple chords, playing for nearly a minute and gaining the feel of the instrument. When reaching what seemed to be the end of the melody he started over and played the melody all over again, this time adding new notes to the tune. Each time he completed a loop, he added another layer of complexity. It wasn't long before Flash had broken out into a full fledged song on the wooden guitar.

At first, Laplace had no idea what Flash was doing. In fact, she had assumed it to be a musical spell of some sort and lit up her horn, trying to sense any magic being cast. It had taken her a minute to realize that he was not casting a spell at all, but had began to just play a song. The moment she actually began to listen instead of hearing, the melody felt relieving. The only magic Flash was playing, was the magic of song.

Deciding not to interrupt the first free music she’d heard in years, Laplace smiled and laid down on the carpet floor, her ears finally open to his music.

Every note felt right coming from Flash’s hooves, every chord played with precision and perfection. Flash tuned the whole world out as he continued to play, a smile growing on his face as well as in his heart. All felt right in Flash's world. Despite it looking like he had just started playing a song for the sake of randomness, Flash knew exactly what he was doing: Burying his head in something that made him feel better, diving into the endless refuge that was song. A habit begun in his youth and one he never let go of, the habit that earned him his cutie mark.

Flash Sentry Junior finished the melody one final time, and ended his song. His eyes opened, bright and lively.

“That... was beautiful,” Laplace said.

“Thanks,” Flash replied softly.

Flash’s eyes found Laplace, laying on the ground in front of him. Flash blushed. Laplace rested her head on her front left hoof. “Didn't know you were so good,” Laplace was filled with awe “That's the best I've ever heard. It was really really amazing.”

“Well, it is a part of my cutie mark after all,” Flash Sentry Junior modestly replied. He motioned his hoof to his flank, to show Laplace the magnificent blue shield with a pair of musical notes on it.

There was a moment of silence between them.

Flash began to explain himself. “I'm... I'm sorry. After dealing with what I saw, I... I just... felt like I was gonna blow. I just needed-”

“Some way to vent?” interrupted Laplace.

Flash nodded. “Something like that. I think I know how you felt yesterday when you tried to escape. That... her, just does something to you. I know you didn't bring it intentionally, but thanks for bringing this guitar in with you. I really needed it. Music helps me relax, it clears my head and just makes me feel better. It's been a habit of mine since I was young. It's... gotten me through a lot of tough times.”

“I wish I could play. Always wanted to, but just never did. I need to find someone to teach me one of these days.”

Flash pondered the thought for a while, and then smiled. “Well, you got me.”

Laplace did a double take, before breaking into a smile. “Wh-what? Really? Like seriously you'll show me how to play?”

“Yeah. We're gonna be here awhile. It sounds like a better way to spend the time than anything I can come up with. Honestly, it'd be quite nice,” he said.

Both he and Laplace shared a genuine smile.


Hours had passed, and Flash didn't care. He had been busy with the joy of music and passing it down to Laplace. He was quite impressed at how well she was picking up on the basics of playing. She did say she had practiced a tiny bit a long time ago, but never did anything serious. With how well she was picking everything up, he wasn’t too sure about it, but tossed it aside. He was having a wonderful time.

“Oh wow,” Laplace muttered, her head away from the instrument.

Eventually, the inevitable had happened. One of them looked at the clock and saw the time. It was long past midnight and long after the time for them both to be asleep.

“Um... maybe we should stop for the night?” spoke Laplace.

Flash agreed. “Alright. Tomorrow I'll show you some more chords and another song, okay?”

Laplace lit up with a smile. “Thanks!”

The two stopped, grabbed the blankets and the pillows so graciously provided by their captor, and got ready for sleep.

Well, at least I can sleep in, poked Flash's brain. No college classes around sunrise this time…

Flash might have wondered if being a prisoner meant you didn't have anyone to bother you with going to sleep for classes at sunrise, but he didn't really care. It was something he'd have to deal with the moment he was free, and not now.

The weight of the day was starting to weigh down on Flash, he rested his head against the pillow, and found a comfy position to sleep in.

Just before he closed his eyes, he heard Laplace's voice. “Hey, Flash... could you tell me what happened when she took you to see Shining?”

When did she know about Captain Armor? The demon must have told her. I doubt that demon would pass up a chance to gloat. That thing's got serious control issues.

Flash saw no reason not to answer. “Well, he tried to negotiate our release and it didn't really work. She was asking for a whole lot of things, and Captain Armor wasn't going to roll over and give into her demands. It really pissed her off that she didn't get what she wanted. This demon’s like a spoiled filly.”

Laplace had a little laugh. “Like a filly huh? She throw a little tantrum too?”

Flash knew she was joking, but he couldn't shake it. A lavender filly invaded his thoughts.

“Yeah. She turned into Princess Cadance, Captain Armor's fiance and mocked him. And then... and then...”

Into her.

Her.

---------------=

...that is the weirdest doll I've ever seen. The buttons are all weird.”

Hey! Don't you say that about Ms. Smartypants! Apologize!”

I never said weird was bad. I think weird is cool. But honestly, why in the world did you bring it to a dinner party?”

...”

Ok ok, I'm sorry, stop pouting like that. I'm sorry.”

Ms. Smartypants forgives you. I do too.”

--------------=

“Um, uh, sorry. A filly. A young unicorn filly,” Flash shook his head a little, trying to physically shake off the memory. The naivete of childhood mixed with cold awareness of adulthood came together. Flash knew who she was.

“Is that so?” replied Laplace.

“I remember her. T-that filly. I remember her.”

Of all the possible responses, that response was the one she was not expecting him to pick and say. She leaned in. “Huh?”

“That little filly was Captain Armor's little sister. Twilight was her name.”

This, surprised Laplace. “R-really? I didn't even know he had a sister! He doesn't even tell people he has one. When did he magically get a sibling out of nowhere?” Laplace had a little chuckle at her own humor...

It’s not funny, Laplace. This isn’t a joke.

“Did you know her?” Laplace asked.

Flash didn’t hesitate and answered her promptly. “Not really,” he said. “I met her once at a dinner party when I was a kid. It was a party of some sort and all the paladins and royal guards brought their families. Never really thought about it until now. Never really put it together that she was Captain Armor's sister. Oh Celestia, it’s no wonder why he...”

Laplace interrupted him “I'm sure she remembers you too.”

“Use to.” Flash corrected “She's... um... Laplace... is it ok if we don't talk about it? I really don’t want to.”

You don't huh? Why can't you spill the beans? We both know the story. Laplace sighed as her thoughts continued. Oh well, to another day then she lamented to herself.

“If you say so Flash,” Laplace replied. “Maybe another day I suppose. Let's get some rest.”

“Have a good night Flash.”

“You too Laplace.”

Laplace used her horn one last time, and dimming the lights and snuggled herself in for sleep.

...goodnight handsome...

----------------=

“Stupid music...” Flash muttered as he used his fork and continued his dinner.

“Stupid kids table,” Flash muttered to himself while chewing his food. The suit he wore felt stupid. He should be going out, Flash thought, having some fun, flying, or trying to find his cutie mark. Not a stupid dinner party with a bunch of adults.

But if he wanted to grow up like his father, Flash knew what he had to do. Endure it. Endure the dumb music, ignore the itchy clothes, and the weird kids at the table. Including a purple filly, dressed in her Sunday finest with a silly looking doll by her side.

“And I don't wanna sit next to the filly with the weird doll,” he muttered to himself.

“Hey!” exclaimed the pony in question. Flash turned, and saw the little filly staring right at him. Oh heck, Flash thought to himself, She heard me.

“Don't you call Ms. Smartypants weird!” She exclaimed with indignation.

Flash took offense at that. “I'm not gonna lie, that is the weirdest doll I've ever seen. The buttons are all weird.”

She grimaced, and glared at him. “Hey! Don't you say that about Ms. Smartypants! Apologize.”

The filly unicorn pouted and bore her eyes into Flash.

“I never said weird was bad. I think weird is cool. ” Flash said back, omitting that he thought the doll weird but not cool. “But honestly, why in the world did you bring it to a dinner party?”

Flash frowned. That didn’t stop her glare. The little unicorn filly continued to glare at him for an apology. There wasn't much of a battle “Ok ok, I'm sorry, stop pouting like that. I'm sorry,” Flash said, folding.

The purple child smiled a wide smile. “Ms. Smartypants forgives you. I do too.”

Flash smiled back. The two kids ignored their tasteless food and continued to talk.

“What's your name?” Flash asked.

“I'm Twilight Sparkle!” Spoke Twilight.

“I'm Flash Sentry Junior!” Flash said back.“My dad's a Paladin! How'd your family get in this thing?”

“Oh, my dad's a paladin too! He's the greatest paladin in the whole wide world!”

“No way, that goes to my dad! My dad's the greatest and coolest and most awesome paladin in the whole wide world! I'm going to be just like him one day! Father and son, fighting for Equestria together!”

The little filly filled up with steam. They were going to have a debate. Her brain began to pile up all the proof she needed. It was her-

“Wow, this is a fun conversation. Having a great time?”

Flash heard a new voice interrupt his conversation. But it didn’t stop Twilight. She began talking, and Flash even knew exactly what she was saying. She was trying to explain scientifically how her father was really the best paladin daddy in the world, but her voice slowly faded into nothing as her mouth kept moving.

“I hope you don’t mind me butting in like this. But I did want to get a good look.”

The other voice grew stronger and overpowered Flash’s mind. He heard the mare’s voice echo inside his head, and looked for the source. He soon found in the mare who was walking to them, completely ignored by the rest of the ponies in the room. Her coat was pure white.

“Oh, you're having so much fun in here Flashy. This sure is an interesting dream,” The pure white mare walked up to the two foals in their chairs.

Little Flash was confused. “Huh?” the colt asked.

“No, really,” She said with a smile on her face. She stole Twilight’s chair and sat in it herself. Twilight seemed not to mind, as she sat on air and continued to speak words Flash knew, but did not hear. “This is an really amusing dream, recalling memories of the past.”

“I’m in a dream? Isn’t this a dinner?” That didn’t make much sense. He was at a boring dinner party, not talking to a beautiful older mare.

The pure white mare tossed her silver mane to the side and grinned. “Of course! How else am I supposed to talk to the real you without you knowing?”

The words, and their meaning went over the child’s head. “Um, ok then?” Flash shrugged. “I’m not sure what’s going on, but if you want to ask me something I’ll be happy to answer. Mommy and Daddy always told me to be polite.”

The pure white mare’s grin became wider. “That’s wonderful Flash. Tell me, is this a good dream?”

“Of course it's a good dream,” Flash said? Why did he say that? He wasn't sure at all. He was talking to Twilight, who was now telling her about her big brother best friend forever, Shining Armor.

The white mare relaxed in chair, cocking her head to the side in curiosity when she noticed she did not have his full attention. She studied the young colt as he studied Twilight. The white mare looked at Twilight, smiled a wide grin, and turned back to the boy. “You're sad about what happened to her, aren't you?”

“Of course,” Flash once again said, and had no idea why. Twilight was sitting right next to him alive and well, not whatever he and the pretty white mare were implying. “She didn't deserve it. I can't believe I forgot.”

“It's ok, age does that to us all. I think it's for the best that we forget our history. We shed what we no longer wish to remember so we can continue our lives the way we see fit. I've been around a long time, and I've forgotten a whole lot. You'll learn to love forgetting with age one day. But anyway Flashy, why did you even remember her? You never saw her again after this.”

Flash fidgeted.

The white mare gave a smile that was a mile wide. “Flashy, you can trust me. I wouldn’t tell a soul.”

The boy hesitated at first, but eventually relented the truth. “Um... it's really silly, but back then I thought she was really cute. She um, was um, the first girl who I ever thought was cute.”

The white mare smiled, “Really?” she said leaning in as if to hear a secret.

“Yeah. She's really pretty. I think you're a pretty mare too.”

The white mare reeled back as her cheeks turned a slight red. Being complimented was the last thing she expected. “I-I'm pretty? I don't think anypony's called me a pretty mare before.”

Young Flash’s answer was swift and true “Well it's true. You're the most beautiful mare I've ever seen.”

The white mare brought a hoof to her mouth to cover her smile, yet it could not hide her flushed cheeks. “T-thank you Flashy, I knew we made a good choice picking you.”

“Pick me for what?”

“Oh, something fantastic. You'll know when it happens, heh-heh. You see Flash, I...we, have the power to make ponies strong. And we want to make you strong, Flash.”

“Really!? Just like that you can?”

“Yes, just like that. You'd like that, wouldn't you? Do you want power Flash?”

The colt nodded. “Yes, I would!”

The white mare cocked her head to the side. “May I ask why?”

Flash began to think, upon remembering why his joyful expression died, and he broke eye contact with the white mare.

“Come-on Flash, we’re friends. You can tell me.“

“I...I don’t want to say…”

Flash stopped as he suddenly felt her hoof against his face. It was ice cold. Colder than anything he had felt before. But the coldness didn’t stop the blood from rushing to his face, and his wings from spreading out. The prettiest mare he had ever seen was touching him.

“Come-on Flashy, A cute colt like you shouldn’t be sad. Tell me your problems. I want to help you with them.” Her hoof nudged the side of his cheek, something Flash did not reject. His eyes rolled to meet the white mare’s soft face. They stayed there for over a minute, as the white mare’s smile won Flash over, and he smiled back for her.

“Do it for me?” She sweetly said to the orange colt.

“Ok…”

She smiled.

“Well…it’s that, um... I'm just not sure if I can make it. There's so many things everyone wants me to do and wants me to be, but I don't think I can. I need to be stronger, smarter, and better. What everyone’s telling me to do is really smart, and I need to do that, but…”

She slowly leaned in a bit closer to the orange colt. “But what Flash?”

“I’m not really sure it’s what I should be doing. But I don’t make good choices, so I usually ignore those and listen to what they usually say. But it’s really good stuff what I’m being told to do, and like, I should do it, but…I’m not doing it well. I’m not doing any of it well. I have to be better or else I’m gonna fail at everything and let everyone down. I need to become stronger, smarter, and just better. I need to save my family’s honor and do great in the royal guard, I need to be able to pass my classes so I can put my life on a good road, and I need to be just better to win June back and keep her. I want power… no, I need it.”

“And I can give you that power, Flash. You have problems, and I think… I can help you with them.”

“You can?!”

“Yep! By just the stomp of my hooves I can. But you see, I too have a problem of my own I need help with.”

“Leave it to me! If you’re going to help me it’s only fair I should help you back.”

She grinned, if only for a moment.

“You will Flash?” She said feining surprise. “You really are so kind.” The white mare reached out and hugged the young stallion. His cheeks flushed red in shock, then sunk into the embrace.

“So,” she softly spoke into his ear “If I help you, you will have to do something for me in return, but it’s just a really small favor, just a simple little thing. If you do it, I can make those dreams of yours come true. So, do we have a deal Flash?”

“Of course!”

The white mare broke the hug and was almost face to face with him. “That's wonderful, Flash! I'm glad you're honest with yourself here, and so honest with me. Ponies can be so deceiving and tricky sometimes, and I’m so glad you’re not that type of pony. Thank you for being honest with me, Flash. It's going to make what happens next very easy.”

Flash noticed he was no longer wearing his clothes, and the whole world around him cracked like a broken mirror.

“Oh! It seems like you're waking up. Well, this was fun. I can't wait to have even more fun with you tomorrow!”

The white mare vanished as the cracked world shattered, and Flash felt into the light surrounding him.

“Wakey wakey Junior, the day calls.”

--------------=

The first thing Flash felt was the hooves as he awoke. Then her horn against his head. Flash groaned awake. The soft fur of a coat against his backside, four hooves wrapped around his body as if he was a body pillow. Flash knew exactly what it was.

“Laplace... ”

Laplace was snuggling with him. Wide awake, and snuggling.

“Why are you hugging me?”

There was a long “Uhhhhh...” following that question. It was immediately followed by a fake yawn.

“I know you're awake...” Flash was still feeling groggy from waking up, but he wouldn’t let it slow him down.

Once again there was another long “Uhhhhh...”

Eventually, Laplace spoke. “I uhh, had trouble sleeping, and um, uhhh... you looked um, so comfy.”

Even though Laplace couldn't see him, she knew he was frowning.

With a few seconds to think, her lie improved. “That and being close let me heal your wing in your sleep. I was using my magic on you all night long. Sleep well?”

You still didn't explain yourself. I'm not a pony body pillow, Flash wanted to say to her.

“Until I woke up,” Flash said instead. “I think I had a dream, but honestly, I don't remember anything about it. Still, again, why are you snuggling with me in my sleep?”

“Ummm... uuhhh....”

Cause you're hot and the chance to snuggle with a hot stallion does not happen everyday?

Laplace almost said that. Almost.

So strike the iron while it's hot they say! But there's no way I could ever tell you that. No way, no way.
Yep yep, no way at all.
And so, lie away!

“I uh I was healing you in my sleep. Yes yes, needed to get a little closer, so I ...um ... I was having trouble sleeping and I decided to spend some time working my magic on you. I spent half the night healing you, and then was… um I was just too tired, made the spell automatic and touched you with my horn to keep it running while I slept.”

Half truth, Half Lie, should work, Laplace thought.

It didn't.

“Rrriiigghhhtttt.” Flash said, clearly believing her. “So then... why are you still snuggling with me right now?”

“Because I can-Eep!” Laplace shut her mouth mid-sentence.

And there's the truth... Flash thought, sighing.

Instead of backing off, she pushed into Flash and hugged him from behind.

“T-Thanks for being here,” Laplace said. “I... well, live alone back in Canterlot. It's... nice to have somepony you can lean on... it's been a long time since I've slept with somepony.”

“But we didn't-” Flash began to say, before Laplace suddenly backed off, her face blushing red as the red mare flailed at the tiniest bit of unintentional innuendos.

“Na-na-not like that!” She said in a panic. “I mean, I'm a virgin. I've never gone all the way with a stallion before! Or a mare! Or a-y-you know what mean!”

Flash almost enjoyed hearing her cute panic. He did always love those sorts of love interests in his mother's romance novels. Not that he ever read them though. Nor did he buy the sequels of those certain books as gifts for any other reason than for his mother. Nope, nope, nope.

There was an uncomfortable silence between them.

“Full disclosure, I'm not a virgin...” Flash replied back. You can thank June for that...

Laplace cracked a mischievous smile. “Oh? So you know how to treat a mare then,” she whispered in his ear in a soft, feminine, and sensual tone. If it wasn't obvious to him then, it was now. Which really wasn't true at all, he could tell from the start that Laplace had been getting the hots for him. Flash easily saw it, a young, beautiful, really attractive rookie guard trapped in a situation like this, it's how one of those romance novels his mother always reads began. Ultimately, Flash enjoyed it, and took it in stride.

Laplace is a nice girl. Mom would probably like her too. Well, aside from the panicky-ness and the yellow belly, she is a pretty, pretty nice girl. And unlike June, she probably wouldn't go out and buck a stallion that wasn't her coltfriend. Probably. She also has a control issue. Unintentionally flirt with me she gets all timid, but flirt purposely with me, and damn it turns me-can’t keep it in don't let her see that.

Flash grabbed the blanket and scooched away from Laplace, keeping his lower half concealed within the blanket.

“Heh-heh...”

---------=

The Demon of Canterlot paced back and forth behind the bars of her cage. Her silver tail flapped left and right as she impatiently awaited for her knight in shining armor, Shining Armor, to return.

“Come-on come-on come-on,” she muttered to herself. The demon shook her head in frustration, messing up her already messy hair. She stopped and turned to the guard outside of her cell. Coming to the conclusion that looking good would help her chances, she decided to clean herself up. With a fluff of magic, the demon unicorn undid that damage and prettied her mane, using her own homemade magic spells to straighten it, bring it down on her left and cover up her left red eye. Confident in her look and appeal, she trotted up to the cell bars, giving the behind of the guard her most alluring smile of the day.

“Hi there Mr Daywatch?” she sweetly said. “When's Shining Armor coming back?”

No response. She pouted.

“Mr. Daywatch, could you please answer my question?”

The demon frowned.

“Mr. Daywatch?”

The demon groaned in annoyance. Seems like playing nice wasn't going to work.

“Didn't you hear us? Did you?”

Clearly not answering was an answer here.

“Come-on, you never freaking talk to us. We don't even know your name. Would it kill you to be talkative?” She glared at him “Heck, it'd probably get you killed if you didn't. You've been here three years, and we don't even know what you look like or sound like.”

Still nothing.

She placed her hooves against the cell bars, and as she came close her hooves stopped against the barrier keeping her in. The hexagonal-weave barrier of Shining Armor, keeping her trapped inside. She could feel a second barrier beyond it, silencing her sound. She remembered the last time she had seen it it looked like a smooth green bubble. At least, she assumed it was green through the lens of pink behind it. Canterlot’s finest refused to clear up those details she asked.

“So, we'll just be talking to ourselves again? Huh? Well, that's fucking great. We get to spend more fucking time with me, myself and guess what! More me! Again! Fucking fuck fuck shit!” She pounded her hooves against the wall at the end of her rant. The anger gone and vented, her hooves slid off the wall and bore her eyes at the backside of the day guard.

It was useless. There'd be no getting in touch with him, no contacting him, no nothing. Just his backside, just his tail, and nothing more.

“All these years, and we still don't know your name…”

As the demon lamented, she immediately stopped when she saw him move.

“Huh?!” The demon gasped in excitement. Did he hear her this time? Ruby eyes lit up as she watched him. First was him simply reacting to what seemed to be a sound, and then watched him saluted someone. The demon knew exactly what that meant.

“Shiny! You're back!” She exclaimed as a smile retook her. "Oh Shiny, I knew you'd be... back"

She quickly lost her smile. It was not him.

Instead of the stallion of her dreams, she instead got the boring solar paladin. The dayguard just stood motionless as a cream colored mare passed by him and trotted to the cell bars. She wore her distinctive solar paladin armor and her oversized warhammer, but now with the addition of having amulet with her. One Laplace recognized.

“Oh horseapples,” the demon said to herself. “Her.”

The paladin took out a green amulet and placed it on the Plinth next to her cell doors. The amulet slid into into the relief carving matching its shape. The demon saw a flash of a green hue appear over the cell doors before vanishing.

Green barrier's down, now we can talk! The demon told herself. The demon grinned as wide as she could as she approached her cell doors. Put on your game face girl! Put on your best show!

“Hello you! We didn't think we'd see you around again.” The demon said with glee.

“Likewise,” replied the stoic paladin. “I'm here for your second list.”

“We must have made a fine impression on you.” The demon said instead. “Especially since you so wanted to see us again.”

“I'm doing business,” she sternly replied. “So please give me your list.”

The demon pouted. “You just want to get these ponies out of here huh?”

The paladin refused to budge, and keep her gaze on the demonic equine. “Something tells me they feel the same way. Now please, may I have your-"

“Must be so nice, having someone like that. Really it's a shame no one wants to stay with us. We'd love to have some company, We would treat our guests very well, ” interrupted the demon.

“Say that to Conduct. Now please give-"

“Condi doesn't count. He hurt us when we did nothing to him and when we tried to show that mud-born fool some mercy he attacked us, and we punished him accordingly,” the demon said like a little filly, rolling her eyes in annoyance. “He deserved to have his hot bod broken and his limbs torn off. But we were being generous when we didn't after he tried to decapitate us two days ago - as a matter of fact he owes us an apology for ruining our carpet. But, as kind as we are, we’ll let his attempt at murder slide. All we want is an apology for ruining that carpet. That stain really isn’t coming out.”

The paladin sent the demon a death glare. “I'll let him known when he wakes up from the coma you put him in.”

“Okay!” the demon said softly with a fake smile. “Thanks! We’re having fun here, aren’t w-?”

The demon stopped when she realized the paladin was still glaring at her with fierce eyes.

“Why so solemn?” The demon said. “We're having fun here, you and I.”

The paladin held her glare, not a word coming from her.

“Uhhh…” The demon took a step back. This Paladin refused to play her game.

“We should be having fun here, why should we be serious? There’s no need to-”

“...we are not having fun. You are holding our soldiers hostage, and put one of my fellow paladins in a coma. I assure you, we are not having fun. Now give me me your list so we can be done with this stupid game.”

“Oh come on, we can do this nice, or we can do this mean, and honestly we got nothing against you, so why can't we just-....”

“I am not playing your game. I've heard a lot about the games you play with ponies, and I saw it for myself last night. I don't do horseshit. So give me your-”

“-Oh come on, we're just trying to be friends with you, Bonbon.”

Bonbon stepped back. H-how'd she know my name?

Perfect execution. The demon had a child's smile seeing Bonbon's reaction.
I'm sure that'll get her talking to me.
Agreed me.
thank you me.
Now time to follow it up!

“Look Bonny, we have nothing against you. Honestly, we kinda like you. We’re sure if you be nice, and we be nice, we surely can be friends Bon-”

“You do not have the right to use my name. My friends call me Bonbon. You do not.”

A half true, half fake gasp came from the demon.

“We can't believe this!” the demon exclaimed in faux-outrage “We're trying to be nice and friendly to you, and you're being a jerk to us at every corner! Really, the way you all treat us is horrible! Maybe if you all were nice to us maybe we wouldn't be so mean back to you all!”

“Maybe if you didn't put one of my friends in a coma and torment another friend I might have seen things differently. And that’s before Shining told me about everything else you’ve done.”

“Huh?”

“He told me. Shining told me everything. I know the truth."

“Really?” The demon questioned, a smile on her face. “If you're saying that, then clearly, he hasn't told you everything... well, told you any bit of the real truth. If you knew the truth, you wouldn't be standing here running his little errands, you'd be letting us out. We are nothing more than a victim of his deluded whore maref-”

“If you wanted to play and trick me with the pity card, you passed that chance up a long time ago when you set Canterlot on fire, hurt our soldiers, and tried to murder our Princess Cadance.”

Cadance....

Cadance....

Cadance!

She gritted her teeth at the sound of the name echoing inside her, her muscles tensed up, and her eyes changed from sweet and red to dragon-like and yellow. “You had to bring her into it...” The pretense of friendliness had now vanished from the demon's voice. “Ok, now you're starting to piss us off Bonny.”

“The feeling's mutual. Give me that list of yours and you won’t have to see me again,” Bonbon’s gaze was unflinching.

The demon thought to herself with a audible “Hmmmmm.....”

She began to think. How to react, how to retort. What jab to poke her with, what would make her stay, but also what would hurt her the most, without being hurt back. Pain gets people to stay, too much pain though and they leave. And Shining did hurt her by not showing. He was such a glutton for her pain, she was beginning to think he enjoyed it.

Maybe I can kill two birds with one stone…
Yes… ooh...I like that. That is a good plan…
Yes...that will work just fine…

With another blink, the demon mare's eyes changed back to red, no sign of the corruption from earlier, and a toothy grin came across the demon’s face. “You know what? No.”

That was not the response Bonbon had intended to get. Bonbon cocked her head to the side. “Huh?”

The demon's voice become childish. “No-no-no. You hurt our feelings, so we're not going to give it to you now,” she said.

With a flash of light, the demon transformed into that of Princess Cadance, dressed in a fine garment. The demon heard a slight growl from Bonbon, one that egged the demon on even further. So, to go further the demon's voice changed to that of Princess Cadance's.

“You were so mean, I'm very offended. How dare a mud-born whore like yourself insult someone of such magnificence? As for your stupidity, I'm only going to give it to Shining Armor because clearly you're not competent enough to accomplish this idiotic task. So now you need to go get him, and then you'll get the list. So as the princess of whores, I command you, you stupid mud-born slut, to go fetch my stupid boy toy.”

Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe out. Do not let her get the best of you. Do not. She's doing all of this to get you to shout and yell and be angry at her. She wants attention, she craves control, and wants me to roar at her. Celestia give me patience.

“Hurry, before I order that hormonal guard of mine to mount me, you know how I am, whores like me can't go too long without something in my plot. We needs our lovin'. But I'm sure your first favorite whore knows that, you know who I'm talking about right?” She said with a malicious smile, leaning into the paladin. “Right?”

Who's the fi-! Her marefriend.

The demon smiled at Bonbon's realization. “Good, you do. Now go do as your second-favorite whore commands!”

Bonbon's muscles tensed, her fangs bared for a second before she retracted them. Deep down, Bonbon wished she could slide open the cell doors and crack the demonic pony's skull open.You do not, call, my marefriend a whore! roared through Bonbon’s being. The rational part of her brain told Bonbon not to give in, but as her anger roared through her, her rationality fell silent. There was only one thing Bonbon’s brain was telling her: it was time to hit back.

“No.” Bonbon defiantly said back, her next move already planned out. It was only the matter of if the demon would take her bait. The demon on the other hand wasn't expecting Bonbon to say that. She had expected anger, or yelling, or an insult. She wondered if she had pissed the paladin off enough to enter and fight her. She really hoped that would happen again. It worked so well on that paladin Leeroy after all...

“You're not going to give me a list then?” was the angered paladin’s response.

The imitation of Cadance smiled. “Yes, I am not going to give you a single thing. I will only-” before she could rattle on Bonbon quickly interrupted her

“Ok then. I'll tell him you didn't want anything else. Goodbye.” The demon saw the wave of the green barrier reinstate itself, the barrier flickering once, then a second time.

“Wait no! Shit!” she quickly said. She soon realized Bonbon didn't hear it.

Alone.

She saw Bonbon's hoof on the device, the amulet in her hoof just hovering above the point to take it out. The demon's disguise instantly dropped, and a desperate white mare rushed the cell bars. The demon knew she was about to leave, and leave her behind.

Alone again.

“Oh crap oh crap Wait! Come-on! Don't leave!” the demon shouted.

She banged her hooves against the bars, them echoing from vibrations as the demon’s desperation grew.

“I-I'll stop being an asshole! I'll give you the list! Don't leave!”

Nothing. Bonbon was staring at her, the guard had turned around, and was looking too. She noted that this was the first time she ever saw his face. It was… wasn’t as cute as she had guessed it be.

“Don’t go, please stay!” The demon tried again to get her attention, pulling out the list with telekinesis and slid it through the bars. “You can have the list. Look, see! You can have i-”

The list floated through the bars.

Wait, the green barrier doesn’t let things go through, or…

She heard a chuckle.

Red eyes filled with horror turned and saw her daywatch chuckle, his hoof covering his smile and laugh.

He had heard her.

Bonbon’s hoof lifted off the amulet switch, and the demon saw it was exactly in the place where she first placed it down.

He had heard her.

“Never took it out. It was out for just a second before I put it back in.”

HE was laughing at HER.

The white demon turned red. She heard him chuckling. The first time she ever heard him make a sound, the first time she ever saw his face... and it was mocking her.

Mocking. HER.

“You BITCH!” The demon roared, her eyes turning yellow and cracking like glass. Yellow lines spread out from her eyes and began to cover her face and quickly flowed down to her coat. The yellow lines illuminated with the demon’s fury. The daywatch stepped back at the sight of the demon’s metamorphosis, and he turned back around and “resumed” his duties to avert his eyes from the sight.

Bonbon wasn’t sure if she succeeded or made things worse at this point. She had managed to piss her off, and embarrass her a little. Definitely, she had shut up. And definitely, if those bars weren’t there the demon would probably have shredded her to pieces. Maybe acting in anger wasn’t the best of choices, but it was a choice she could live with.

“Two can play these games demon. Now you know how it feels when someone plays your type of game against you. It sucks. You're not happy to play them, and I'm in no mood either. Now give me the list, so we can stop dealing with each other.”

For thirty seconds, the demon was silent. She had closed her eyes, Bonbon assumed her mind was once again thinking after rage burnt itself out. Or at least, that’s also what Bonbon had assumed as she saw the glowing yellow lines on her coat vanish.

“Fine,” The demon said. Her horn lit up and a sheet of paper came into view with the demon’s red glow covering it, floating towards Bonbon to grab. “You can have it.”

Oh, thank Celestia, thought Bonbon. She moved closer to retrieve the demon's list as she reached out to grab it. It worked. The sooner I’m done with this, the sooner I go home to Lyra and get as far away as I can from this monst...er?

Or well, would have grabbed it if the paper didn’t fly away from her hoof the moment she reached for it. It floated back into the hooves of the demon, who reached out and grabbed it.

“Here,” said the demon, offering it to the paladin.

“Just float it to me,” Bonbon said to her. The demon just responded by flapping the list, waving it for Bonbon to grab. For Bonbon to get close. Close enough for a trap.

“No. Take it,” the demon suggested, saying no more, no less.

“I’m not playing this game. Just give me the list.”

“I am giving you the li-”

“You know what I mean.”

“Then you’re gonna have to take it, Bonny. Let’s just get this over with...”

Shit. Bonbon knew if she wanted this to end now, she’d have to spring the demon’s trap. On one hand she could wait, but she knew how much worse things would get if she tried. Resigning herself, she sprung the demon’s trap. Just quickly grab it and pull back.

Bonbon reached out with her hoof and tried to grab the list, only for the demon to let go of the list and grab her hoof, yanking the paladin into the bars and trying to pull her into her side of the cell. Bonbon’s head clanged against the enchanted metal as she came almost literally face to face with the demon, Bonbon getting a full view of the demon’s glowing red eyes and snarling snout. They became like a magnet, Bonbon’s instincts told her to pull away, but her body refused to obey. Every fiber of her body told her to look away, but her eyes refused to leave the demon’s. A spike of fear went through Bonbon’s soul, but as quickly as it came her fear left her.

“You do not. Make a mockery. OF ME!” cried the demon, furious red eyes barring into the paladin’s eyes. Bonbon quickly noticed that her hooves were free, and made full use of them to get away from the crazed and glowing demon.

Bonbon broke the demon’s hold on her slapping her hooves off the paladin’s coat before pushing the demon away from her and backing up. There was nothing keeping the two apart, Bonbon knew she had to be ready for a fight, her eyes still uncontrollably locked on the demon’s as she backed up even more, then reached for a warhammer that was suppose to be on her back but was not. “Wait, why are the bars and my hammer gon-SHIT!”

Bonbon knew exactly what the demon had done. She took one more step back and as she began to channel her magic, but it was one step too many. An armorless, weaponless, and naked Bonbon backed off a edge where there should have been a castle behind her. Falling, the paladin’s hooves reached out and clung to the ledge with her earth mare hooves, hanging for dear life.

With her eye contact severed from the demon’s, she realized she could now look around. First looking down, Bonbon saw nothing but darkness where there shouldn’t have been.

I have to get out of this! I have to get out of here!

Thoughts flashed in her head of falling to her doom, and the paladin channeled desperation into power and used all her remaining strength to push her own head over the edge. When she did, she saw the demon standing next to her, her ruby eyes glowing unnaturally.

“Oh, don’t think you’re gonna be running away so soon, Bonny. While we hate to dash your hopes… actually we take that back. We love to dash your hopes. Bonny, we are FAR from done. One does not make a fool of the Demon of Canterlot and just get away with it. Nooo… they pay.” With a malignant grin on her face the demon mare rose up on her hind legs, raising her front hooves.

“...they pay dearly for their sin.”

With her words said, the demon brought down her hooves on Bonbon’s hooves. Yelping in pain, the paladin lost her hold for dear life and fell into a darkness unknown.

“My little pony… we’re just getting started!”

Bonbon’s mind swirled as she tried to figure out what to do as she spun into the darkness, but all was to no avail. She knew. The demon had gotten her, Bonbon knew her fate.

As the demon’s newest victim fell into the darkness, all she could hear was the insane mare’s laugh.

“AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!”

Chapter 5 - Laplace, part 1 - end

Author's Note:

Man that took too long. Lots of things have happened since the previous chapter. Hopefully, the wait was all worth it.

Hope you all enjoyed it. Did you? Say your piece in the comments and let me know what you think of it.

Tune in next time for the stunning conclusion! It's gonna be a doozy.


Overall change notes:, I made some edits with everything that was said in the comments for the past few chapters and added a rating to Flash’s Demon. PG-16. It will get a bit risque at three points in this story, there is some violence, cursing (as you can see, the demon when ticked has a potty mouth) but I think that’s all. I also added Bonbon to the character list. I wasn’t sure to have her or Cadance as the fifth slot, it was a toss up, and the bons won. It might change, who knows.

If you want to see more of Paladin Bonbon, go check out “The necromantic adventures of Lyra Heartstrings”. This story takes place in Saint Absol’s setting, and you get to see a whole lot more of Paladin Bonbon.