• Published 14th Oct 2014
  • 2,683 Views, 120 Comments

Ready Player One - Flutters Is Shy



Wade Watts is now one of the wealthiest people on the planet, having found the Easter Egg in Oasis's greatest game ever. But what...is this new game he found?

  • ...
5
 120
 2,683

4- Cedarwood Road

She wouldn't leave him alone. It was the purple haired pony he had seen before in the library, continuously asking about the greaves. Apparently they were 'exquisitely made' and 'artfully portrayed'. It was rather annoying, but she hadn't been rude as of yet. Parzival had given the standard reply of "I don't know' to the majority of her questions, but she kept on asking.

"But you MUST tell me darling! These engravings, the curve and the line of the writ, it all must have taken a master craftsmaker at their finest!"

"Don't know. Just found them."

"Where did you find them? They are rather reminicent of Zebrican, but they also have a flair of Neighan about them..."

"Don't remember."

"Well you MUST remember something..."

Thankfully she was inturrupted by an unfamiliar pony, a wild and frantic look in her eyes.

"Rarity, have you seen Scootaloo? I just went by the cutie mark crusaders club house, and the place was wrecked to shreds!" Well that was interesting. This pony seemed to be this...'scootaloo's' mother. And where ever this club house was, it seemed like there was a quest to be had.

"What? No, I haven't seen her or my sister since she said she was heading over there for their weekly meeting...You don't think something untoward could have happened, do you?"

"I don't know what to think, the door was torn off the hinges, and I can't find my little Scoots anywhere!" She actually seemed to be on the verge of tears. Parzival decided that it was time to step in.

"Excuse me ma'am. Might I ask where this 'club house' is?" She looked at Parzival with a second of confusion, before getting a glint of hope in her eye.

"Its just off the Sweet Apple Acres farm. Why? Do you know something? Do you know where my Scootaloo is?"

"Usually, if you want to get to the bottom of a crime, you have to inspect the crime scene. So no, I don't currently know anything." Parzival gave her what he hoped was a comforting smile. "I'm hoping to change that."

Rarity looked at him with a calculating glance, then spoke. "Are you some sort of guard pony?"

"Of a sort. I view it as my sworn duty to protect those in need, those that can't protect themselves." That sounded appropriately heroic. It had been a long time since Parzival had played any kind of standard heroic adventure, and even longer since he had role played as one. Still, He thought he had hit the 'rogue-ish adventurer' role on the head.

Rarity actually started to look a bit worried. "Do you think something bad happened? This is the Cutie Mark Crusaders we're talking about here."

"Would you ever believe them to destroy their own hideout?"

"Well...no..."

"Then its a safe idea to check, wouldn't you think?" Parzival turned back to the new pony. "If you would lead the way, ma'am."

~-------------------------------------------------~

It was a mess. The door had been ripped off its hinges, and Parzival could smell the coppery scent of blood wafting in through his specially made Okami Olfactory Tower(specifically designed to negate any horrible smells developed by pranksters.). Upon closer investigation, there was a large amount hidden under the various debris that littered the room. And if that wasn't enough, there wer extremely obvious claw marks gouged into the walls and floor. Obviously, this Scootaloo and Rarity's sister had been attacked by some sort of wolf. If the claw marks were anything to go by.

Following the blood out the door, Parzival found himself traveling deep into the forest, Rarity and the mother following at his heels. They were understandably worried, and had all but freaked out at the mention of blood. Caterwalling and wailing about the safety of thier family members. Before long, they found themselves in an extremely bad situation.

They had been surrounded by a group of wolves made out of wood. Parzival could see dried blood on one of them, so he could tell that this was indeed the mob of enemies that had attacked the club house. But he couldn't see any little ponies, dead or otherwise. What had they done with them? If this were a non macabre game world, they could still be alive. Possibly.

Parzival hooked a leg under the barrel of each mare, and lept up onto a high tree branch, out of the reach of the wooden wolves. They raised a fuss, but he couldn't be responsible for their well being. If they got in his way, they wouldn't only get themselves killed in game, but might drag him along as well.

Landing back on the ground, he readied himself. He didn't have any weapons, but his hooves were tough enough that he figured they would function well as an unarmed attack. Indeed, the first wolf that he reared back and struck burst apart with barely any effort. The other three quickly followed suit, after a short exchange of blows. He found it extremely easy to dodge them, with the added stats of the Hermes Greaves. Something was wrong, though. He hadn't gotten a single XP from the encounter.

Soon enough he could see why. The wood wolves had all reformed. They seemed to have some form of invulnerability. Probably against physical attacks. Which meant his non magical earth pony avatar was going to lose against them, if he didn't bend the encounter towards his favor.

Which he could do with a specific artifact. Brand of Prometheus. An innocuous looking tree branch, longer than his body and the twisted end of snarled limbs on continuous fire. He brought it out of his inventory, and equipped it. It was a two handed weapon, which is why he had never carried it around. His other weapons were simply more weight efficient, considering Brand of Prometheus was simply a fire weapon that scaled with level. Ever since he had gotten Hallidays superuser stats, he'd had an infinite weight carry, so he had taken to simply carrying all his artifacts.

Still, a fire weapon was just what he needed here. Fire for wood. Perfect.

Hooking a leg over the Brand, Parzival swung it in a tight arc, striking two of the wolves. They burst into flames, becoming nothing more than ash in only a few seconds. The other two followed suit in short order.

Still. No XP. Parzival's level counter was still stuck at 'Next Level, 200'. This time he was sure they were down for the count though, the ashes werent even moving like they would be in a traditional mmo. And the little ones weren't anywhere to be seen. Had he made a mistake? Was he NOT supposed to fight the wood wolves?

He didn't have time to muse on this, however. With a rushing sound of breaking branches, a large...mass of a semi liquid creature entered the clearing, attacking before Parzival could gather his wits. It was as black as tar, and attacked by shooting streams of itself at him. He could see the struggling forms of three small ponies poking out of the creature, meaning perhaps THIS was the mob he would have to defeat to gain any XP. Fairly annoying, if only certain mobs gave any XP.

Regardless. He swung the Brand at the mass, eliciting a squealing cry of pain. Burning off slab after slab of the creatures black jelly like mass, he was finally left with four small wriggling creatures. Three little ponies, and a wretched amoeba of writhing flesh, oozing a fluid tar like substance.

With a downward strike, he ended the creature.

~-----------------------~

After having gotten the two mares down from the tree(and getting an earful for that), they lugged the unconcious bodies of the little fillies back to town. They kept on profusely thanking him, but he was busy thinking on another matter.

Even after fighting off 5 enemies, and presumably finishing a level 1 quest...he hadn't recieved even a single XP. How was he supposed to progress in this game if his greatest efforts turned up no results? This game truly was baffling.

They had gained an entourage of townsfolk on their way to the hospital(Parzival had agreed to escort them the rest of the way), including the ribbon wearing fillies sister. They had all thanked him for his efforts, but he was barely paying attention. Finally they reached the hospital, and one of the fillies woke up. She was confused as to what had happened, and upon learning that he had saved her she clammed up.

"...Hey...mister... did you really save me?"

"...No. I didn't."

"What? But they just said-"

"All I did was help a nice, frightened lady find her daughter. If I had done any less, I dont think I could live with myself." Parzival gave her a slight smile.

She gave him a wierd look, before bursting into laughter. "You sure are wierd, mister! I think though..." She paused, squirming in her mothers fretting embrace, "I think I kinda like you though, you're a funny guy! My names Scootaloo, wanna be my friend?" She held out a hoof out, awaiting his response.

Parzival froze for a few seconds, unable to form a response. Finally breaking out to into a wide smile, bumping his hoof against hers.

"It would be my pleasure, Scootaloo."



Level 2!
Pegasus Form Unlocked

Author's Note:

Barely 5k words and I already have over 30 likes and NO DISLIKES? I'd be pissed off, If I didn't like the subject material so much.
Thank you for all of your support!