• Published 14th Oct 2014
  • 2,676 Views, 120 Comments

Ready Player One - Flutters Is Shy



Wade Watts is now one of the wealthiest people on the planet, having found the Easter Egg in Oasis's greatest game ever. But what...is this new game he found?

  • ...
5
 120
 2,676

5- Ludus; To Play

Well then.

Congratulations! You have begun on your journey to find the magic of Friendship, in the land of Equestria. Having made your first friend, you will have noticed that the leveling system is rather...different. Go out, mingle, get to know the populace. Be warned however, that if you go and try to boost your level by just meaninglessly declaring ponies your friend ( or by just asking them to declare themselves yours) you have a chance to be hit with karma backlash, losing XP and even possibly levels. The system analyzes your reactions, heart rate, breathing and more to determine how truthful you are. And Friendship is a system as old as time.

XP- 275, Next Level -1000

Pegasus form unlocked, switch races from the main menu.

Peagasi are winged ponies, capable of flight among the clouds in the sky. While not as hardy as an earth pony, you will be hard pressed to find a faster species. They fly by manipulating the air around with their magic, using their wings as a focus. They also have the capability to alter and manipulate magic currents relating to air and weather, -Example-=A pegasus can change the composition of a cloud to either create a downpour or lightning cloud.-
Recomended Weapon- Spear/Lance.

The description it gave was...lacking. How did it determine how he had befriended an individual? It also felt kinda odd, to try and befriend virtual characters. He had said yes to the orange filly because she had seemed so earnest...but this was so backwards compared to Hallidays final words to him...

"I created the OASIS because I never felt at home in the real world. I didn't know how to connect with the people there. I was afraid, for all of my life. Right up until I knew it was ending. That was when I realized, as terrifying and painful as reality can be, it's also the only place where you can find true happiness. Because reality is real . Do you understand?"

For all of his life, Halliday had been trying to hide from the real world. So why hide something like this? A game focused on making friends...why wouldn't he just release it? He had programmed weirder things over the years... One such thing being a dating sim based around pigeons...

Regardless. If he could just find a maitanance node in game, he could probably craft himself an admin access. He hadn't found anything as of yet to explain its purpose, but Halliday HAD hidden it. So it stood to reason there was a reason for that.

"Are you moping again?"

Wade turned to look at his wife, Samantha. A birthmark covered her eye, but to Wade that just made her all the more beautiful. They had met in the OASIS, fallen in love. Hit a rough patch when Sam was convinced Wade would never be able to love her in real life. They'd worked that out, over time. They had gotten married shortly after the end of the hunt, and Wade could never be as happy as he was that day. Ever since, she was his burning candle, his inspiration, his shoulder to lean on.

"Just thinking."

"Equestria, again?" She asked with a knowing grin, leaning over the back of the couch Wade was draped on, encircling his neck with her arms in a warm hug.

"Yeah. Still haven't managed to sneak a second player slot into it... but I did get my first level."

"Ding?"

"A short trumpet solo, actually. Complete with pop up and bright, vivid green text. Guess how I did it? I guarentee you wont believe it."

"You...killed a monster of some kind?"

"Nope. You apparently dont get ANY experience from killing monsters. And I fought four wood wolves, and some sort of slime. Not a pinnacle of variety, but the results speak for themselves.

"Oh, so it's quest based?"

"Nope, as far as I can figure there isn't a quest system. No Markers, the journal doesn't say anything either."

"Fine, I give up. Did you cut down a magical tree that had skittles in it or something?"

"I made a friend."

"...What?" Samantha had stiffened behind Wade, and when he turned his head to look her in the eyes, he could see a shit eating grin as bright as a neon light. "You have got to be kidding me. Your level is dependant on how many friends you have? That is so...so...well that is kinda you, actually. So, your new fraaaaaand...is she cute?"

"An adorable little pegasus kid. She was part of the group I saved from the wood wolves and the slime thing. She asked if I would be her friend...and... well it was just too precious. I couldn't say no. And then my level went up, and I apparently unlocked the pegasus form."

"...You have got to get me an in to this game, Wade. Its not fair that only you get to play..."

"I'm working on it. I just need to find a way to give myself admin privilges. Then I'll give you an admin account as well."

"You better, if I have to sit on the sidelines any longer I'm liable to pull your plug."

"Aw, I know you better than that. Listen, I'm gonna log back on and hook up with Aech, see if he's dug up anything new on this. Did you know Hasbro actually made a couple episodes for this? They never released, though...none of the characters are the same, either..."

"Dinner's at five. That's two nights in a row you owe me for~" She got up, and slinked away.

Wade chuckled to himself. He'd have to make up for his forgetfulness. Getting up himself, he walked to his immersion room. Samantha didn't really like his lack of hair, so he had stopped using that type of shampoo. In turn, he had stopped using full haptic suits. It was just uncomfortable. Dragging the visor over his eyes, he sat down in his haptic chair.

~--------------------------------------------------------------------------------~

This. Was. Frustrating.

The stallion showed up out of nowhere, commited minor larceny against her, and then just up and dissapeared. She had written a letter to Princess Celestia, and she had replied that she HADN'T sent him to test her. That in itself was a relief, but then where DID he come from? After the way he acted, he then and went out of his way to not only protect two of her friends, but he also saved the CMC from Smooze infected wildlife. It was regrettable that he had ended up killing the animals. If he ever showed his face again, Fluttershy was going to give him an earful. Scootaloo appeared quite taken with the mystery guard pony, but even she hadn't been able to get his name.

It had been a couple days since that incident, and the talk was starting to die down without anything new to report on. It was all rather frustrating. There wasn't hide nor tail to be seen of the fudge colored stallion! Seriously, how did somepony just show up out of the blue, make a gigantic fuss, and then skedaddle without anypony knowing where he went?!!? This was so utterly frustrating.

She had gone by Rarity's and asked if she had seen anything else, ANYTHING out of the ordinary.

It was on the way back that Twilight came across something EXTREMELY out of the ordinary.

"YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" came from a certain fudge colored stallion, zooming across the skies of Ponyville.

"...He's...a pegasus now...No. Just no. I refuse to believe this. That isn't possible."

"...No."

Author's Note:

A thumbs down! I almost thought you jerks didn't have it in you!
*hugs whoever pushed the thumbs down button*