• Published 13th Oct 2014
  • 2,465 Views, 127 Comments

Warriors of Gun and Blade - chaoswisp1000



When three tenno are stranded on a small planet at the outermost regions of the origin system, they put trust in themselves and the inhabitants to the test to keep the Grineer from conquering the land.

  • ...
2
 127
 2,465

Sword at Rest and Guns Holsetered

From near and far, ponies and tenno alike watched as grineer transports left at frenzied and panicked intervals. The battle was won, the grinner were retreating. But, like with most wars, the victory was outweighed by the toll taken on the civillians.

Families wept at the loss of their homes, and in several cases; loved ones. Children looked for their friends and tried to start up little games to break the somber mood, their attempts were appreciated but did not help much.

Some tenno watched as the ponies tried to help each other. These creatures tried to assist friends, family, and neighbors in any way that they could. Some tried through reassurance, some through comforting, and some by simply being there for the ones who needed help. Some tenno, nearly all in fact, wished there had been a way to help the ponies who had lost more than they could regain. A few tried, tried to comfort those who thought the invaders would return, or that the tenno would now turn on them.

Throughout the valley that Canterlot overlooked the tenno spoke. Their message took on many different guises, but was the same at it's core.

"Your planet shall never fall"

***

*Cynder POV*

I meditated inside Ponyville's castle with Huntress, Shift, Avalon, Chaser, and Twilight all standing or sitting nearby. The white equine, whose name we learned, was Princess Celestia, looked out over Ponyville as we told her about ourselves.

"...So not even we know everything about ourselves. Our pasts, before these shells were built around us, its all..." Avalon paused searching for a word, "hazy, no completely dark is more like it"

"I see" Celestia murmured, "But can you answer me this?" She asked turning to look at us.

"What is it, Princess?" I prodded, curious.

The large white alicorn turned to the level-headed frost.

"May I see your sword and shield, Avalon?" She asked.

Avalon hesitated, but then slowly he released the lock on the shield keeping it attached to his arm. He kept the sword sheathed under the shield as he held it out to the princess like a peace offering. The sword and shield were wrapped in a golden blanket of energy as Celestia took them into her grasp.

"Interesting" she mumbled, "A weapon of fire and steel, with no magical or physical barriers to shape it's flames in battle"

She unsheathed the Silva but the sword did not ignite as it usually did, nor did the Aegis expand to its full size.

"What?!" A wide-eyed Twilight gasped, "May I see?"

The energy surrounding the Silva and Aegis quickly changed from a radiant gold to a gentle lavender as Twilight took the sword and shield into her own magic.

"B-b-but how in th--, that isn't possible, flames can't hold a shape like that...it's just not possible!"

She started to shake the weapon, seemingly trying to get them to ignite.

"Come on, work!" she growled.

I chuckled softly at her frustration. Partly because of her confused expression, and partly because of the simple truth.

"You won't get those to work by shaking them," I said, walking over to the lavender unicorn, "The Silva and Aegis are activated by a tenno's energy, making it impossible for other life forms to use effectively".

I took the shield from Twilight and strapped it to my arm. Instantly the individual plates that made up the shield split, and blue flames ignited in the gaps between the plates as the shield expanded to it's combat mode.

Twilight simply stared at the shield, mouth agape. She was so shocked in fact, she lost her concentration on the sword, which would have fallen to the ground if Celestia's magic hadn't intervened.

"Very interesting," the princess said quietly. She used her magic to move the sword towards me. When it was close enough I took it in my hand, and watched as neptune-blue flames engulfed the length of the blade. The Silva and Aegis, the only sword and board style weapon that we knew of so far.

"If you dont mind me changing the subject," Celestia said, breaking the short silence, "I dont believe I got your names". I sheathed the sword once more, deactivating both it and the shield, before handing it back to Avalon.

"My name is Cynder," I said, "The others present are; Avalon, Huntress, Shift, and Chaser" I gestured to each tenno as I recited their names.

"Thank you, all of you, for protecting my subjects during this attack," Celestia turned back to the window. Below, the last of the fires were being extinguished by ponies and a few Hydroids. In other areas, wounded ponies were receiving medical attention from Trinities and a few Oberons.

"I must also thank your kind for their assisting in the recovery of ponyville," she continued, before adding, "your medics are quite skilled at healing magic".

"It isn't magic," Shift corrected, "The tenno who bear the oberon or trinity warframes are able to channel their energy into another organism's body, this speeds up the body's natural repair functions and neutralizes any lingering ailments."

There was a long silence as everyone turned to look at the mag prime.

"You know," Twilight began, "that does sound an awful lot like a healing spell"

"Whatever" Shift growled, leaning against a pillar and crossing her arms.

"Hey, no need to start acting all harsh again Shift," Huntress said quietly, "we've all had a tough day, and by that I mean the ponies as well as us."

Another long silence followed. And was broken by the sound of a door opening.

"Um...are we interrupting something?" A white unicorn, who I recognized as Rarity, asked.

"Not at all" Avalon said.

"Then, if it is okay, we have some questions for you"

'Oh boy' I thought, before saying, "Sure, ask away"

Rarity entered the room, followed by Applejack, then Fluttershy, then Rainbow Dash, and finally Pinkie Pie.

"Firstly," Rarity began, "who designed your suits?!"

'...What...'

"I-I mean," she stuttered, trying to re-compose herself, "some of you look fine, but some of your kind must simply change into something less..." She paused, searching for the word, "vicious looking"

"Well, you see, Rarity, we cant really change much about our looks," I said, "we can alter our warframe's colors to our liking, but, um, in terms of fashion, shape usually stays the same."

"What!?" the white unicorn gasped, "well, we'll see about that, just give me your...warframe and I re-shape it into something much more fashionable."

"I'm sure you could Rarity, except for two problems," I began, "One: our warframes, as elegant as they may appear, are armor and therefore cutting them is going to require more than scissors, and two: we can't actually remove our warframes."

For the third time that day, another awkward silence fell on the room.

"Ah have a question for ya'll" the orange pony, Applejack, said.

"What is it Applejack?" Huntress asked.

"Just how many warframes are there, an' what exactly do they do?" the hat-wearing pony asked.

"Hmmm..." the valkyr said, trying to recall the answer to the first question, "There are thirty-five known warframes to this date, not including prime versions, such as Shift or Avalon."

"So what do they do to ya'll then?" Applejack inquired.

"Well, in general, each warframe allows the tenno inside to focus their energy into the abilities you see us use in and out of battle." Huntress paused before adding, "they also enhance our senses, agility, and speed up our reactions."

To demonstrate Huntress broke into a sprint towards the wall, then leaped and began to dash up towards the ceiling. Gravity quickly slowed her ascent to a stop, which was when she kicked off of the wall into a backflip. She then activated her ripline, throwing the glowing beam at the ceiling. The ripline gripped the surface, and allowed the valkyr to swing down to the floor in a graceful arc.

"Ta-da!" she chuckled as she landed.

Rarity's mouth was agape, Applejack's eyes were the size of glaives, Twilight looked like she was about to explode out of pure confusion, Rainbow Dash was flying all over the place saying the word "awesome" over and over again, and Fluttershy, Celestia, and Pinkie were applauding.

"Showoff" Avalon chuckled.

"You guys have to give me a warframe," Rainbow Dash cried. "I'd be so much more awesome with one!"

It wasn't me who started the giggling, but it quickly spread through the tenno in the room. The giggle evolved into a restrained laugh, then a roar of laughter.

"What?" Rainbow asked, "what's so funny!?"

Chaser, being the first to stop laughing, answered the pegasus's question, "It's just that there has never been a warframe made for a pony," She said, "or for that matter anything other than a tenno"

"So?" The cyan pegasus asked, "cant you just make one that fits a pony?"

"Sorry rainbow," I chuckled, "to be honest we don't know how to create warframes, much less shape them to fit other creatures"

"But is it possible?"

Celestia now spoke with a much more serious tone than before, it was a bit intimidating.

"Well...yes, I mean we would have to gather the resources to form the armor, but if we did have the materials, and the know-how it seems entirely possible."

"And we're missing two of the items you just listed," Shift cut in, "The know-how, and the materials"

There was a familliar chirp as my, now repaired, commlink received a message.

"I believe I can supply both, tenno" the Lotus said.

Author's Note:

And there it is, after several months I finally completed another chapter. And ended on a "cliffhanger" if you can call it that.

Sorry about the lack of anything happening, but between finals, playing warframe, and traveling I haven't been able to do much writing, hoping to at least start the next chapter when I post this chapter.