• Published 13th Oct 2014
  • 2,465 Views, 127 Comments

Warriors of Gun and Blade - chaoswisp1000



When three tenno are stranded on a small planet at the outermost regions of the origin system, they put trust in themselves and the inhabitants to the test to keep the Grineer from conquering the land.

  • ...
2
 127
 2,465

Helping a psychic

*Twilight's POV*

Meeting extraterrestrials, seeing their advanced technology, watching them defy the laws of physics, and bend nature to their will. It wasn't that impressive all on its own, but to do so without magic!?

'How did they do that?' I wondered. 'I mean the ability to jump that high should be impossible for a creature with that body structure, and to be able to land from such a height without any injuries whatsoever?!'

At least they were helping to speed up the reconstruction of ponyville. Everywhere I looked, I could see tenno and ponies working to rebuild and improve what had been a battle ground. I didn't recognize most of the frames I saw, but I did note their form and shape for later.

The thing that surprised me the most though was the diversity, each frame was different in its own way from all the others. I saw one frame fly overhead and then glide down to the ground while carrying various building materials. Another one I saw appeared to be healing a young colt. Green energy flowed in a thin stream from the frame into the young pony, and with each passing second the colt looked like he was getting better.

'There are so many of them,' I marveled, 'and yet Avalon said that new tenno and new warframes are being discovered all the time'

"Well, I wouldn't say all the time"

I yelped and spun around to face the speaker. Not for the first time did my eyes go wide at what I saw.

Before me stood a tall, white warframe with gold trimming, indicating it was a prime. While there was a lot of gold on the frame, I was more impressed by the helmet. A long golden cage extended off of the back of the helmet, and on the front there were four glowing points that resembled eyes. Each 'eye' glowed a bright teal color, and the whole frame itself seemed to radiate a powerful aura.

"Yeah, I am a psychic actually" the tenno said, "sorry, for scaring you"

"Y-you can read my m-mind?" I asked astonished.

"Yep, kinda hard not to", the tenno admitted, "I'm not exactly used to this kind of power"

I just stared, open mouthed. Too shocked to respond. To my knowledge mind reading was an art that took years of training to just comprehend the basics. If the tenno in front of me had been a unicorn her passive ability would have been considered a near-impossible magical feat.

"Uh, helloooooo~" the tenno waved an armored hand in front of my face, "earth to violet pony?"

"Huh?" I asked, still quite shocked "Oh, I'm sorry, its just that mind reading isn't exactly something somepony can do easily. It takes years of practice for even the most powerful unicorns to pull it off"

"Well I'm not a pony, if you haven't noticed," the figure chuckled, "My name is Spirit" She gestured to her body, "and this is the Nyx Prime warframe"

"Wow," I breathed, "so, um, what are you doing here?"

"Stuff," Spirit shrugged, "Just admiring the scenery, trying to help where I can" she directed her gaze at the ground before adding, "though I'm not much help as of now."

"That's a lie if I ever heard one" I placed my hoof on the tenno's leg. "Nopony is useless. I'm sure you can help in some way"

Spirit mumbled something that I couldn't quite understand.

"Why don't you explain your abilities to me?" I gestured for Spirit to follow, "I need to check on how repairs are going, we can talk while we walk."

***

"And when I release the energy" Spirit explained, "'boom'"

"Interesting" I muttered. I had a few ideas for what the psychic tenno could have done to help out, but as she had described her abilities the list had become much shorter. I wracked my brain for more ideas, there had to be something I was leaving out, something I hadn't considered.

But no ideas came.

"Hey, its alright" Spirit looked me in the eye. Or...rather I assumed she did, it was hard to tell if those things on the front of her helmet were actually eyes. "You tried to help me, and I appreciate that".

There was a long, painful, awkward, uncomfortable, sad silence. I wanted to tell Spirit that she had fallen for a trick, and that I actually did know a way she could help. But, again, no ideas worked.

We were on the road to Sweet Apple Acres. On either side of us apple trees of mixed conditions stood. Some patches of trees were charred, others seemed to be in perfect condition, and some were now piles of ash. We continued on until we turned onto the path leading up to the archway.

As we approached Spirit came to a dead stop.

"What's wrong?" I asked, not sure if I should be worried, "Do you have something against farms?"

"Fear" she mumbled, "Someone. Scared. Being chased by---" she took off, running towards the trees on the opposite side of the road.

"Wait what?!" I cried. I opened my wings and launched into the air in hot pursuit. She jumped over the fence along the road, and disappeared into the trees.

Thanks to the powerful aura she emitted, I could follow her quite easily. It also helped that her armor was blazing white against the green and brown earth. I kept up easily, though for running speed she was impressive. I had decided to try and ask her what was going on, when I heard a familiar scream. Then I heard a loud 'crack!' and watched as few trees tree fell as if something had collided with them.

In an dust-covered clearing I could make out the forms of three small ponies emerging from the trees. I swooped down and landed in front of the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

"Twilight!" a terrified looking Sweetie Belle squawked. She stopped so abruptly that her two fellow crusaders ran right into her. "Help!"

There was a large snarl from the treeline and a huge timberwolf burst into the sunlight. Now I have seen timberwolves of varying sizes before, I had heard that some ponies had used to tame the smallest ones and keep them as pets. This timberwolf though was humongous, it was almost as tall as the trees behind it, and its maw was big enough to snap up at least two ponies, or in this case myself and three little fillies, without any trouble. I did remember AJ and Spike mentioning an incident where three timberwolves had fused together to make one bigger timberwolf. 'Didn't think they ment that big!'

The beast snarled and advanced slowly, its eyes glowed a sickly-green. It kept its eyes on us, probably thinking something along the lines of: "Yay, more ponies. Yum!" It let loose a roar that shook the air, and made the ground tremble.

I heard an odd sound from the trees, and the timberwolf toppled over sideways as its left side was bombarded with...'exploding darts?'

"STAY AWAY" Spirit roared, charging out of the trees carrying a huge white battleaxe, the weapon's golden blades flashing in the sunlight.

The wolf roared in outrage and flipped to it's feet. When Spirit got into striking distance the timberwolf lunged to snap her up in its jaws, but Spirit was amazingly agile for someone carrying a huge axe. She rolled to the left and rushed forward, using her momentum to add power to her swing as the axe cleaved right through the wolf's front leg. She used the axe's momentum to launch into a graceful flip and cut into the beast's body, the blade stayed embedded.

The wolf thrashed about, trying to dislodge the annoying golden warrior who dared to attack it. And it partially succeded, the axe remained stuck, but Spirit was thrown off and crashed to the ground in front of us.

"Spirit!" I cried. The timberwolf howled and charged at us. Acting on instinct I used a spell that my big brother had been teaching to me. I wasn't as good as him but I could still pull it off. Instantly Spirit, the cutie mark crusaders, and I were encased inside of a shimmering magenta sphere.

The timberwolf smashed into my shield and I started seeing spots. My brother had warned me that the more stress one put on a shield, the faster it would wear down the caster. The beast stumbled about, apparently the impact had shaken it as much as it had shaken me.

"Spirit, get up!" I begged, "please"

I heard a loud snarl, the timberwolf had collected itself and we preparing to charge once more. I moved to stand by Spirit, the crusaders huddled behind me, whimpering. As the monster of the everfree charged I shut my eyes. I knew there were plenty of spells I could have used to dispatch the wolf, or slow it down, but that would mean dropping my shield. I was also too scared to attempt a different spell, the shield spell wasn't exactly easy, but I had gone over it so many times it was easy to form simply at least

I felt my shield shatter. But not in the fashion I was expecting. My big brother had described what having your magical defenses shattered felt like. He had described it as feeling like you were being crushed under an enormous weight. This did not feel like that at all. Instead it felt like the weight of maintaining the shield had simply vanished.

"Woah" I heard Scootaloo gasp, "Thats...just...wow"

I opened my eyes, and blinked. Surrounding the crusaders, me, and my shield, was a much larger dome of energy. It shimmered brightly, as several bands of energy spun around like hula hoops. And floating in the center, cross-legged was Spirit.

"Not a bad shield," she grunted as the timberwolf struck her shield, "but let me handle this one okay?"

Once again the wolf charged, its maw opening wide as it bit the translucent bubble. Its snout shattered on impact.

"Bad dog!" Spirit chided, "Very bad dog!" The words only seemed to enrage the monster more. It kept up it's assault, clawing and head-butting Spirit's shield. Oddly enough though Spirit seemed fine. She didn't even seem to notice the impacts. Suddenly I realized that she had described this action before, her ability: absorb.

"Now" She said, snarling back at the timberwolf, "Sit!"

The bubble exploded outward, unleashing a huge shockwave of energy which slammed into the timberwolf like tornado. The wave ripped the entire wolf apart, scattering its pieces far and wide, which meant that it would be a long time before it or its smaller parts reformed.

Spirit turned to face me. And I got the sneaking suspicion that behind that helmet she was smiling.

"Guess I found a way to help, huh?"

***

There were many "I'm sorry"'s and "We wont do it again"'s once we got the crusaders back to their sisters. Though I knew that the three fillies would probably end up in trouble again sooner or later.

Spirit had elected to not meet the other tenno, for reasons she didn't reveal. I found her in the park meditating after saying goodbye to my friends.

"That was pretty amazing" I admitted.

She chuckled "It was nothing, just trying to help"

A pause. I studied her armor more carefully, not just on a visual level, but on a magical level as well. I was curious as to what was inside the armor. I used my magic to send out a low level scanning pulse through her armor, with her permission of course.

As soon as I cast the spell Spirit crumpled and fell to the ground. I shrieked and rolled her onto her back. The lights on her helmet were out, and her entire body was limp.

"No." I began to slip into panic mode. Had I just unintentionally murdered my new friend? "No no no no no---"

Spirit sat up so quickly she almost headbutted me.

"Oh thank Celestia!" I breathed. I tackled her into a hug.

"Um, Twilight?" She returned the hug, and I realized I had tears forming. "whats wrong?"

I released her and dried my eyes. "You just..." I didn't want to say the word "I want to say fainted, but it was more like you died"

Spirit studied me, probably checking if this was a trick or a joke. "Huh" was all she said. She got up and brushed dust off of her legs. "Well I'm gonna go for a walk around town," she started off then stopped and turned back to face me, "Could you tell me where I may find you? I feel like having someone to chat with once in a while would be nice."

"The castle," I replied, forcing a smile, "its...well you can't really miss it can you?"

"Its hardly a normal house," she agreed, "thanks see you again sometime!" And with that she strode off into Ponyville.

It certainly had been a weird day. And what had happened just now with spirit...millions of new questions surfaced in my head, each one begging to be answered. And I had a feeling the tenno would have the answers, but I had a guess as to who would.

Author's Note:

Yay, new chapter. Sorry if here are a few "her"'s or " she"'s in there, kinda realized the story was in the first person not the third about halfway through when writing this chapter.

I wonder who could Twi be referring to?