• Published 12th Oct 2014
  • 3,137 Views, 82 Comments

No Tears, Just Dreams - sunnypack



Celestia wakes up from a disrupted sleep. Trying to find sleep again, she comes face to face with a terrifying bipedal creature. It doesn't say much. It places one appendage on her lips. Shh, it says. No tears, just dreams...

  • ...
10
 82
 3,137

6 - If The Heart Tells No Lies, Then It Must Speak The Truth

Chapter 6: The Heart Tells No Lies

They say, the only thing a predator will respect is a bigger, meaner predator. That is true for most part in the wide, wide circle of life. They say that such things are just attributes to the nature of reality, our existence. However it does tend to make things a little too… predictable.

But every now and again there are changes, a mix-up here, a slip up there, and perhaps a shy pegasus born with a death stare.

Of course, if one were to ask the butter-yellow pegasus, Fluttershy would answer in a small squeak, softer than a mouse, but louder than the walk of a weevil, that she would prefer to be a normal pegasus, without such intimidating augmentations.

To say that sounds and creaks during the night scared Fluttershy would be a gross mischaracterisation of Fluttershy’s fortitude. Although many would joke that Fluttershy was scared of her own shadow, and sometimes rightly so, Fluttershy was not afraid of the night. In fact, some of the best creatures were nocturnal ones and Fluttershy would often contemplate sitting in her meadow outside her small cottage. She could pleasantly experience the cool night and converse with the kind creatures of the night.

There was reason to be cautious. There was reason to be careful. But there was no reason to be scared of any animal. One just had to show respect and in turn they would respect you. At least, that’s what she would have told Rainbow Dash if she hadn’t so suddenly burst through her door and shocked the coat right off her back.

“Fluttershy!” Rainbow’s raspy voice yelled out. “Hey, oh there you are.”

Rainbow trotted over to the cowering pegasus, who at the moment was hiding her head in her hooves and shaking in the corner of her lounge room. Angel was kicking his friend in bad temper, frustrated at her utter lack of spine. What if a stranger had walked in and decided to take everything? Where would Angel get his salad then?

Rainbow rolled her eyes and placed her hooves on Fluttershy’s withers.

“Fluttershy,” she drawled impatiently. “Where in Equestria do you think that tactic would work?”

Fluttershy peeked out from beneath her hooves and sighed deeply in relief.

“Oh,” she whispered softly. “Rainbow Dash, it’s only you.”

Rainbow resisted the urge to roll her eyes again. “Who else would you think it was?”

Fluttershy shifted her hooves uneasily. “Oh I don’t know…” She trailed off, but then smiled in relief. “I’m just glad it’s you.”

Rainbow’s ear flicked dismissively as she cocked her head. She was here for something… Her face scrunched up in concentration. “Fluttershy! I came here to…” She wracked her brain. “What was I going to tell you, anyway?” Rainbow paused as she lost her train of thought. She shook her head. “Wait! No, that’s next week. Something about a weird… Twilight! Yes!”

Suddenly she darted forward. “Twilight told me there’s a super scary creature walking around. You should be careful.” She tapped a hoof to her muzzle. “Yep, I think that’s it. See you around, Fluttershy!”

“Wait, Rainbow–” but before Fluttershy could stop the rambunctious mare, she was gone, leaving Fluttershy all alone.

“Super scary creature?!” she squeaked, hooves shaking.

Fluttershy was suddenly very aware that her cottage was isolated from the main town.

––––

Fluttershy was huddled in the corner of her bedroom, shivering from the cold winter draft that blew in. Angel was squashed uncomfortably between her two hooves and clutched against her body. The rabbit had all but given up struggling after the first hour had yielded no significant results. He lay there with his arms crossed over his chest and a pout that told anypony that bothered looking, that he was severely displeased.

Oblivious to his (dis)comfort, Fluttershy thanked Angel for staying with her. Though the rabbit would brutally beat up anypony that suggested he had a kind bone in his tough body, Angel eventually relented and patted Fluttershy on her chest, the only place he could reach.

For Fluttershy, it felt like the night was dragging on longer than usual. It was getting more and more difficult to stay awake. With Angel’s warm furred body lulling her to sleep and her covers exuding a comforting warmth that gave her a sense of security and snuggly cosiness, Fluttershy was fighting a losing battle. Though she resisted mightily, she couldn’t help but drift softly and silently to a well-deserved rest...

––––

A thump startled Fluttershy awake. Eyes wide, she quickly scanned her surroundings intently. Another thump elucidated a squeak from Fluttershy again. Angel, wide awake, dashed to the door in an attempt to confront the intruder, but Fluttershy quickly scooped up the bunny with a small cry and huddled in a nearby closet, staring at the door through a crack in the wardrobe intently.

“No Angel,” she whimpered softly. “It could be dangerous. We should hide and hope that it goes away.” Angel struggled a bit but then gave up when Fluttershy just hugged him tighter.

There was a soft knock on the bedroom door.

“Fluttershy?” A voice called out. Fluttershy sagged in relief. She crept out of the closet and cautiously opened the door.

Rainbow stumbled in.

“Oh my, Rainbow Dash,” Fluttershy gasped. “What’s wrong?”

It took a few moments for Rainbow to collect herself. Fluttershy’s concern turned to worry. Rainbow was usually up and about, recovering with even the slightest of knock backs.

Rainbow peered around, as if searching for something in the room. Fluttershy felt a chill run down her spine.

“Rainbow,” she said. “You’re scaring me.”

Rainbow finally flicked her gaze to Fluttershy, her irises widening slightly then shrinking as she focused on the scared mare.

“Sorry,” she mumbled shakily. “I just had to make sure it wasn’t here.”

Rainbow, darted around, making another circuit and checking the room once more. Fluttershy had a difficult time figuring out if Rainbow was galloping around really fast or if she was using her wings to boost herself around the room. Nervously, she posed the question that was on the tip of her tongue ever since Rainbow stumbled in.

“Rainbow,” she called out timidly. “Why are you so afraid?”

A little colour returned to her cheeks and her eyes flashed in defiance briefly, but swallowed thickly before replying.

“I’m not afraid!” she shot back. “It’s just…” She jumped at a groan that permeated through the dark.

At first, Fluttershy was perturbed but then she recognised the sound. “Oh don’t worry,” she assured. “That’s just the cottage timbers, it sometimes groans like that during the night.”

Rainbow relaxed slightly at that. She drew herself up. “I’m not worried,” she blustered. “It’s just that I’m worried for you! That’s right. I saw the monster that Twilight mentioned–” Fluttershy squeaked “–and it’s real–“ Fluttershy gasped “–so I thought I would come over and see if you needed help.” She cleared her throat and gave her a sidelong look. “With sleeping,” she finished lamely.

Out of the corner of her eye, Rainbow saw Angel shake his head and roll his eyes. He bounded out of the room before Fluttershy could snatch him back up again.

“O-Okay,” Fluttershy answered tentatively. She smiled. “It’ll be nice having a friend sleeping over.”

As the two ponies snuggled up with each other on the bed, the creature outside smiled and retreated into the darkness.

“No tears,” it whispered. “Just dreams…”

Author's Note:

I think I might end it here for a while.

True I haven't updated this in quite a while, but I have to be in a weird mood to write this. Funnily enough I have to be in a happy mood, right now I'm just tired.

Next chapter: What stalks the prey may not necessarily be its predator, and not all predators hunt for food...

As always, my supine readers, thanks for reading!