• Published 12th Oct 2014
  • 3,136 Views, 82 Comments

No Tears, Just Dreams - sunnypack



Celestia wakes up from a disrupted sleep. Trying to find sleep again, she comes face to face with a terrifying bipedal creature. It doesn't say much. It places one appendage on her lips. Shh, it says. No tears, just dreams...

  • ...
10
 82
 3,136

5 - When The Crowd Thins A Bit, You Can Break Through The Mass

Chapter 5: When The Crowd Thins A Bit, You Can Break Through The Mass

In the titillating dark there is a prominent whisper. It is prominent only to those who are tuned to it. For those who are not accustomed to that dissonant wavelength, the tune that plays will forever lie out of reach.

Perhaps that was for the best.

For often those that listened to this tune would do odd things.

Princess Luna was a pony that was not easily afraid. She was a pony that was accustomed to that dissonant wavelength. For all that lay within the dominion of the night were pliant to her commands. The Night would whisper, and Luna would be able to hear.

Luna knew her sister was not a pony who was given to fanciful thoughts. That her sister was not a pony given to the deceptive obfuscation of truth. That her sister, normally so composed and regal, even between the two, would lose that defining composure over the fear of something within the night. It didn’t make sense. Just as Luna was regent of the Night and did not fear the Day, her sister was regent of the Day and feared not the Night.

For did not one define the other?

In the gathering quiet of the cool evening, a breeze whisked through the lovely fields of meadow and grass for which our Princess lay her hooves upon, in anticipation of her favourite part of the day.

Twilight.

When the day turns to night.

As some ponies loved to gaze at the sunrise or sunset, Luna admired not the coming of the sun, but the slow and gentle reveal of the silvery essence that was the moon. Tonight was a crescent moon on the waxing phase and Luna delighted in the positioning of her night sky for all to enjoy. The stars were meticulously crafted into position, the moon exhibited a bright but not overbearing glow and the midnight hues spread from the sinking fiery orb that was the sun, to canvas the sky.

Luna was pleased with her work and so she admired it in a few moments of peace and quiet.

It was times like these that Luna enjoyed the gift of the night. When peace ruled and the noise and cacophony that was the day died down and she could stalk the fields of earth and fantasy at her will. She let her head rest on her hooves as she contemplated deep thoughts.

A gentle sound of grass being trodden underfoot startled her from her brief nap.

“Ah,” she whispered groggily. “You’ve come for me?”

The presence shifted uneasily and cleared its throat.

“Princess, the Night Court will need attending, if you would?”

Luna heaved a lonely sigh.

There were not many who visited the Night Courts. It wasn’t a slight on their parts, she knew. It was simply a matter of practically. The day was so much easier to get things done in and the night was a time for rest. Granted, she knew this and she loved the night for being in its nature, a way for ponies to release their burdens and wake up refreshed, ready, and raring to go.

She just felt lonely sometimes, sitting in the empty throne room, that was silent as the night she was so deeply a part of.

Still, her duties were duties and they none the lesser of importance for their burdensome solitude. Luna climbed stiffly to her hooves and followed the thestral guard to the Night Court. Weaving absentmindedly through the maze of corridors and hallways that made up the castle, Luna pondered if she should do something special to liven up the night. Perhaps she could clear some monster hunting duties so that she could hold a night festival. She smiled slightly as she considered this idea. Her smile widened to a grin as she began to plan her schedule. That could work. Excellent.

They arrived at the waiting room adjunct to the throne room and Luna noted that not a single soul, excepting her guards, was there. She sighed softly, the tone carrying through the empty space and echoing around. The sound seemed to persist longer than usual, making the walk to the double doors of her throne all the longer.

It was never nice being alone…

——

Luna snapped awake, realising she had dozed off due to sheer boredom. Her guard to her left gave her a sympathetic look and Luna quickly straightened her back resuming a strict, regal and rigid posture. At the sharp movement, she heard a flapping noise and the sensation of cloth sliding off her back. She glanced behind in surprise to see a blanket loosely around her.

She glanced at her guards, feeling a strong measure of warmth for them.

“Ah, my faithful guards,” she intoned. Her guards looked at her in askance.

“I’d like to thank thee for the comforts you have brought me. It makes me feel honoured and grateful that I could have such a caring and loyal retinue,”

The guards looked at each other before looking back at the princess.

“Princess,” the one on the left said. “What, if I may ask, are you talking about?”

Luna raised an eyebrow. She pulled up the blanket and shook it.

“This,” she stated, waving the blanket. She telekinetically levitated the blanket in front of the guards. They studied it closely but not a spark of recognition shone in their eyes. In fact, their eyes had gone lifeless. Shortly after, they collapsed to the ground, unmoving.

Disturbed, Luna quickly got up from her throne and quickly checked on her guards. They were merely unconscious, or sleeping. Strange, she didn’t use a sleep spell and she couldn’t see the telltale aura of magic. She sniffed the blanket and reared back. It was a sleeping agent. Ineffective against herself but certainly effective against her guards.

“Assassin,” she hissed, eyes darting around. The assassin had made a terrible mistake. She herself was resistant to variety of toxins.

She felt a presence beside her and she whipped her head around.

Nothing was there.

The sound of skittering echoed through the chamber, as if somepony had thrown a small pebble into the throne room. Luna backed slowly to her throne.

“Show yourself!” she yelled confidently. Her flank touched the warm seating of the throne and she sat down, scanning the room.

Wait.

Warm seating?

Slowly. Carefully. Her head turned to meet the nightmare come to life.

Its appendage darted forward to meet the succulent soft lips of the lunar diarch.

“Shh,” he whispered, his breath hot in her ears. The burning inferno of his eyes had trapped Luna like an insect in molasses. She struggled to say anything, to scream or bolt or collapse. ANYTHING. She was helpless, for some reason frozen and unable to move, or even blink.

The creature took her head with both of its hands and used its thicker, shorter appendages to wipe away fresh tears.

“No tears,” it croaked, sensually moving its hands down her neck. “Just dreams,”

Luna closed her eyes and made a series of low, feeble sounds. The pressure around her neck lifted. Cautiously, her eyes opened.

The creature was gone.

A small note was left in its wake and Luna, with hooves shaking, brought it up to view.

Your tears are salty and bitter,





But your body is warm and comforting.

I like that.

Until next time, Luna.

Author's Note:

What is this creature's agenda?

Perhaps you will find out later.

Next Chapter: Talk to me.

As always, my silky soft readers, thanks for reading!