• Published 28th Apr 2018
  • 10,300 Views, 202 Comments

Pray, Hope and Wander - Flashgen



The investigation into the disappearance of the citizenship of Ponyville nears an end, as those involved desperately look for answers.

  • ...
4
 202
 10,300

Session 06 - Pendant - April 28th

Transcription of Session 06: Pendant, Assistant Investigator
Date: April 28th
Time: 7:00 p.m.
Interviewer: Doctor Blue Sky, PhD

I should note here that Cage did not show up for his scheduled appointment. I will have to bring it up to Miss Vines.

As for Pendant, she arrived on time for her appointment and without any of her work. I was pleasantly surprised.

Blue Sky (BS): Good evening, Pendant. I’m glad to see you were able to leave your work behind.

Pendant (P): Good evening to you as well, Doctor.

I believe she glared at me for a moment, but I was focused on my notes at the time.

BS: So, would you like to start things fresh or pick up where we left off?

P: I don’t have a preference, Doctor.

BS: Well, a fresh start is always nice then. How was your day?

P: Productive. Very much so, in fact.

BS: Is that so? Are you at liberty to discuss how with me?

P: Yes. It was about the cipher, the one that I mentioned yesterday; I had an epiphany after leaving your tent.

BS: You managed to solve it?

P: Yes, it was a Vigeneigh cipher, one that uses a code word. I’d been trying several, but what you said when I left, well, something about it struck a chord with me.

BS: You’ll forgive me for not recalling.

P: “Hope.” You hoped that I would be able to make it before Miss Vines’ curfew. I had deduced that a four-letter word might be the key to deciphering it, but there are many of those.

Something about the way Pendant spoke seemed more straightforward than yesterday. She was direct before, of course, but maybe without her work to distract her, her focus was even tighter.

BS: Yes, I suppose there are. So “hope” was this keyword that you needed? What sort of message did you find?

P: I suppose whoever left it has a flair for the dramatic. If I had to describe it, it is hopeful. Someone that was there survived.

BS: That is rather hopeful. Do you know who it is?

Pendant looked down, hoof resting on her chin, and started muttering to herself.

P: No, but it must mean they have some way to reach us. That’s assuming the contents of all the journals so far are true, and where they are is somewhere we cannot reach on our own. Some barrier we can’t cross on our own, but can be pulled through.

Her muttering grew lower, until she was barely whispering to herself. It all seemed to be conjecture about what had happened.

BS: Pendant, I think this qualifies as “work.”

She stopped, shaking her head and looking back up at me.

P: I apologize, Doctor Do you work much in the theory of your field?

BS: You mean abstract studies? No, I prefer to work with patients.

P: What do you think is the best question you can ask a patient? In general.

BS: I think that’s a question more deep than we have time to discuss.

She glanced to the side, rubbing the side of her neck and stretching slightly.

P: I read a few books on psychology once. I don’t consider myself an expert, but I think there is a “best” question. Not to gauge someone’s mental state or solve their problems. No, just to know them. “How do you see yourself?”

BS: It’s certainly an interesting question. Is there a reason you feel it’s “best?”

P: It’s open-ended. How I respond to the question reveals not only how I see myself, but what I value. If I describe my occupation, I might value it more than if I described my feelings to you. If I mention my looks or my money, I may value how others see me.

She continued to look away from me and her ears flicked in the silence after she stopped talking.

BS: You certainly have some interesting thoughts, Pendant. So, how do you see yourself, then?

She was quiet for a minute and then turned to face me.

P: An investigator. An answerer. Somepony who solves problems.

I prepared to respond, but she cut me off.

P: I know what you might say, Doctor. I didn’t answer what you asked me yesterday for a reason. I don’t think I’m anything but my job.

BS: I think that’s a long jump to make, Pendant.

P: But you were going to make it, even if you didn’t say it. I think I can solve the rest of this case, Doctor. Did you mention anything to Miss Vines yet?

BS: Your obsession. Miss Vines has a different opinion than me.

P: I think you’re both right, for what it’s worth. You’re the professional, however. I can understand if you’ll argue against me.

Before I could say anything more, Pendant left my tent, and I prepared for my report to Miss Vines.