• Published 4th Oct 2014
  • 2,416 Views, 69 Comments

Blur - lunabrony



Rainbow Dash discovers she's not the fastest being in Equestria, and immediately sets out to correct the error... if she can catch it, that is.

  • ...
9
 69
 2,416

Blurred Prerequisites

"You sure this is going to work?" Pinkie asked.

Twilight looked at her as if she'd asked if she was a unicorn. "Of course I'm sure, I did the math, and my math is never wrong. She turned and looked once more at Rainbow Dash, as disapprovingly as ever. "You really want to go through with this? I'm sure there's a million easier ways to-"

"Less talk, more pull!" Rainbow Dash said, sliding her goggles down over her eyes. "There may be better ways, but this is the coolest. And -I- am all about cool."

"Alright," Twilight said. "Pinkie... you know what to do."

Pinkie knew. And she did just that.

---

Across the way, Fluttershy and Discord had been having a rather nice time to themselves, at least ever since Rainbow Dash had left. Fluttershy had been understandably concerned when Dash, well, dashed off so quickly, explaining only that it was an emergency and would make it up to her. Fluttershy had nodded kindly and watched the pegasus leave, knowing that indeed emergencies did happen and they were more important.

"I do hope she's alright," Flutters said quietly, to nopony in particularly.

Discord, who could not care less about what Rainbow Dash was up to, merely shrugged. "I'm sure she is," he said. "Not much that can stop that one." He curled his arm around Fluttershy, who looked up at him meekly. "Come now," he said. "Cease your worrying and let's do something fun instead."

Fluttershy's eyes widened. "Like... what?" She asked whereupon Discord unveiled a small red box and shook it, multiple items rattling inside. He cracked the box open over the table, and several dice rolled out amidst sheets of paper.

"Yahtzee!" Discord announced.

Fluttershy appeared relieved. "Oh, alright!"

It was in the midst of their game, the game, which might be noted, that Fluttershy was losing quite terribly at, that there came a frantic knocking at the door. Multiple, unrelenting knockings that could only have come from more than one individual. Confused yet excited at the prospect of having more company, Fluttershy rose from the table and moved over to the door.

"Don't be too long now, Fluttershy," Discord called, narrowing his eyes slightly. "I don't like sore losers."

Fluttershy nodded again and opened the door, gasping slightly as she suddenly found herself looking down upon the smiling faces of the Crusaders, all three of them, who were bouncing up and down in place in almost perfect synchronization.

"Fluttershy!" Sweetie Belle squealed. "We need your help, its an emergency!" There seemed to be a lot of those going around today.

"Oh, goodness..." the pegasus said, shuffling her front leg. "Come in, I'll help if I can..."

The three did come in, all at once, and briefly got stuck in the doorway before tumbling into the cottage. Scootaloo almost immediately pointed accusingly at Apple Bloom. "We need to borrow your film projector, Apple Bloom broke the one we were using!"

"Ah did not break it!" She insisted. "It just caught fire, that's all!" She was holding an old film reel case under her right leg, and produced it. "We're part of the Gaming Club at school," she explained. "And every month a new episode gets sent out, and we gotta watch it!"

Fluttershy tilted her head. She didn't care much for gaming. "Alright," she said. "Discord," she called. "Could you-"

"Already on it," came the reply, and the Crusaders rushed past to where the draconequus was standing. He had either found or summoned an old film projector, and aimed it at a white sheet hanging on the far wall. Fluttershy knew she did not normally put her sheets on the walls, and presumed that his magic had put it there, especially with such short notice. She watched with interest as the children clumsily ran forward, taking the film out of its case and installing it into the slots for which it was meant.

The girls squealed with joy as the white sheet lit up with a crackling, grainy black and white screen.

"Why is it in black and white?" Fluttershy asked.

"It's supposed to be noir, its an artistic decision," Scootaloo said, her voice high and snobby, mimicking an art critic. "The fad of color films is rapidly diminishing."

Fluttershy stared at her.

"The school's on a budget," Apple Bloom explained, giving Scootaloo a dirty look. "We work with what we can get."

The screen lit up, revealing two ponies standing back to back on their hind legs, each wearing a rounded straw hat, and carrying a curved hook of a cane. Discord and Fluttershy didn't recognize either of them. The pony on the left was small, a child barely more than the age of the Crusaders themselves, while the other appeared nearly if not full grown, and both ponies did a sort of cartwheel in the opposite direction, bending down on their knees as if to propose to a pretty mare, and holding out their canes.

"He's my bro!" The colt announced.

"He's not so bro!" The stallion announced

"And we're the Barn Bros!"

Then the film shifted to an old style arcade booth, the name of it revealed to be Battle Blaster. Sweetie Belle had a dreamy look in her eyes. Fluttershy waved her hoof in front of the filly's face, but got no reaction. "It's no use," Scootaloo said. "She gets like this every time she sees Button Mash. He's the little one."

"And th'other one is JonTrot," Apple Bloom said. "They show off all sorts of tricks for beating the classic games. Last month they did Megazoid Meltdown, which is said to be so hard nopony has EVER see the end of it. Thanks Fluttershy!"

"Shh!" Sweetie Belle hissed, not tearing her eyes of the screen.

Fluttershy didn't understand any of this, and looked at Discord, who shrugged with equal confusion. The Crusaders were spared, thankfully, from questioning further by a tremendous crash from outside the cottage. Fluttershy yelped and nearly instinctively hid inside a flower pot, but she'd been trying very hard to do better with that. She slowly crept to the window, to see Rainbow Dash sticking halfway out of her chicken coop. Twilight and Pinkie Pie were racing towards her, and Dash was pinned in the coop up to her waist. Chickens were dancing on her back, pecking angrily at having been startled and violated.

Fluttershy gaped at the scene, eyes bouncing between Rainbow Dash, and the two who were running towards her. She burst out of the front door of the cottage, vaguely aware of Discord coming up behind her, and her voice was immediately tinged with alarm. "What HAPPENED?" She squeaked.

"I just don't know what went wrong!" Twilight sounded exasperated. "All the measurements were right, all the blueprints were right, I calculated the trajectory and wind speed... our first test run went without a hitch!" Pinkie and Twilight were on either side of Rainbow Dash now, yanking her free of the chicken coop.