• Published 4th Oct 2014
  • 2,417 Views, 69 Comments

Blur - lunabrony



Rainbow Dash discovers she's not the fastest being in Equestria, and immediately sets out to correct the error... if she can catch it, that is.

  • ...
9
 69
 2,417

Blurred Ideas

"You're going to catch it?" Twilight asked, dumbfounded. Rainbow Dash had only just completed her short retelling of the events leading her up to this moment, and Pinkie was merely nodding in appreciative silence. She pulled a pipe out of her mane and dragged on it, allowing several large bubbles to float up towards the sky.

"That's right," Rainbow Dash said. "I'm going to catch it. I'm going to find it, and I'm going to race it."

"So that's what this is about," Twilight sighed. "I should have known. You just can't handle this bird being faster than you, can you? That's just too much for you to accept. Do you even know anything about this bird?" She asked. "Have you studied it at all? Does it eat seed, nuts, meat?" She asked.

Rainbow sputtered with protests. These slowpokes just didn't understand the dangerous situation being inflicted upon her pride at the fact, the very IDEA, that some creature was faster than her. That just wasn't cool! "I know it's from another universe," she said, and quickly changed the subject. "Which is where you come into play, Twilight."

Twilight didn't understand this, but wasn't sure she liked the sound of it. Presumably Rainbow Dash needed both her and Pinkie for a reason, and the pegasus had a habit of acting first and thinking later. "Have you talked to Fluttershy?" Twilight asked. "If you're after a bird, why not talk to somepony who knows about birds?"

"She's busy," Rainbow said. Twilight glared at her accusingly. "Okay, so she's not busy! But I didn't want her for this mission, alright? She'd just slow me down!" I need ponies who can think fast and run faster, and Fluttershy's a great friend, but she's only got 2.5 wing power!"

"Actually she's got 2.3," Spike said from upon Twilight's back, and Twilight hit him on the head with her tail.

"Shush," she said. "Go on, Rainbow Dash. Let's hear it."

"Okay, well, it's just a bird that can run really fast, so I think it would be a harmless venture to bring it here to Equestria."

"You don't know its harmless," Twilight said. "It could have any number of devastating consequences on the local ecosystem, and unleashing it might further damage-"

"Come ON, egghead," Rainbow begged. "Don't you want a chance to be the very first pony to study a brand new species? Think of the scientific possibilities! And Pinkie would have a new friend to throw parties for, I guess?"

"Naaaaaaaaaailed it!" Pinkie shrieked. "I'm in!"

Twilight sighed again, rapidly realizing that she was becoming outnumbered. "Well, I guess it might be alright," she said hesitantly. "It's just a bird, after all... but even if it turned out to be completely safe, we have no way of getting it here!"

:"Sure we do," Rainbow said. "Remember Stitch?"

Pinkie brightened. "You mean that little blue alien that accidentally got sent to Equestria and started destroying everything and then we had to send him back only to need him a second time and then send him back again and then we were forced to bring him to Equestria a THIRD time but nopony ever found out what happened because Lunabrony got bored and copped out of writing the last part of the trilogy like a chicken?" She asked, bouncing.

Rainbow Dash stared at her. ",.."

Twilight stared at her. "..."

Spike stared at her. "..."

Rainbow was the first to speak finally, breaking the awkward silence. "...Yeah, that Stitch," she said. "Anyway, the last time we brought him to Equestria through an interdimensional portal that Princess Celestia set up," she said.

"Yes," Twilight said, not liking this one bit. "But that portal is closed, and good riddance too."

"Not entirely closed," Rainbow said. "Celestia said it was sealed off, but I bet a princess could open it up again," she grinned.

Pinkie let out a long, excited gasp, and started bouncing even faster. "Oh! Oh! Oh! Twilight's a princess!" She exclaimed. "I bet Twilight could open it!"

Rainbow facehoofed. "Thank you for joining us, Pinkie Pie."

"But I was here the whole time, silly!" Came the reply.

"Never mind," Rainbow said. "Are you gonna help me try to open it or not?"

Twilight thought about this for a moment. "It could be an interesting experience," she said quietly. "Alright, I'll help."

"Woohoo!" Pinkie shrieked.

"Great!" Rainbow grinned. "Let's go."

Pinkie Pie, Twilight Sparkle, Spike and Rainbow Dash were huddled around the inactive tear in spacetime deep in the Everfree Forest. It hadn't been used since Stitch's arrival some months previously, and Twilight had secretly hoped that the memory of its existence would fade with time.

"Alright, last time all we had to do was focus on Stitch and say his name, so we'll do that here. Focus on the bird I described, and say its name. That should be enough to summon it here."

"What IS its name?" Twilight asked curiously.

"Uhhhh..." Rainbow faltered.

Twilight stomped her hoof. "This is why you're supposed to study before exams, Rainbow Dash! And its exam time!"

"Don't worry, Twi, I'll get around it," Rainbow said with a cocky edge to her voice. "Just open it. I'll do the rest."

Twilight glared at her. "If this goes wrong, I'm blaming the entire thing on you," she said. "Every instinct in my body is telling me this a bad idea."

"For the record, I think it's a bad idea too," Spike said, twiddling his thumbs.

Twilight turned her attention on the rift, and bright, clear light shot from her horn. The rift shuddered, pulsated, and blazed into activity. Rainbow Dash focused on it, making a mental picture of the giant blue bird in her head.

"I summon you, giant blue bird thing!" She announced. It was Spike's turn to facepalm this time.

Surprising fortune was with them, however, as the rift shuddered and the blue blur raced out of it, propelled by bright orange legs. It stopped a few feet away from them in mid stride, several inches off the ground, completely frozen. A cursive sort of font appeared in the air below its legs, an effect that made Twilight gasp with amazement.

Outrunicus Dashicus

Rainbow looked absolutely infuriated. "What's that supposed to mean?! How's it even DOING that?"

"Like this!" Pinkie exclaimed, and leaped into the air, similarly freezing mid bounce. Words appeared beneath her as well.

Partycus Ponicus

Her frozen effect lasted only a moment, then the words disappeared and Pinkie clopped back to the ground with a bright, innocent smile. The bird looked at the small group, and winked at them. "Meep, meep!" It announced, and zoomed off towards Ponyville. Rainbow Dash took off after it, yelling in frustration. Twilight looked in astonishment at the pink pony.

"How did you... never mind. I'll run tests later." Pinkie found this amusing, and gigglesnorted merrily.

"Come back here!" Rainbow Dash yelled, almost out of sight.

Pinkie and Twilight exchanged a glance, then took after Rainbow Dash. After a moment or two of silence in the dark forest, Twilight returned and skidded to a halt, firing up her horn and sending another bolt through the active rift. The tear in space powered down, quieted, and fell still again. "That was close," Twilight said, and raced back in the direction the others had gone in the first place.

"Wait for me!" She shouted, and teleported forward, disappearing in a flash of purple light.

Author's Note:

God, this was only supposed to be a one shot at first and this story just keeps growing...