• Published 6th Oct 2014
  • 2,049 Views, 79 Comments

The Misadventures of the Renegades - reading is magic



Explore Equestria with Frost Bite the changeling and Sing Song the breezie as they brave out and walk out into the world! Probably causing trouble.

  • ...
5
 79
 2,049

VI: Outta Nowhere!

Frost Bite came to realize that being a fancy student of magic was torture. Of course, it was too late to realize that.

So what does being a student of magic entails? Oh, not much; just lots of reading and magic application. By reading,
it mean volumes upon volumes of magic and related topic.

Three days since Frost Bite saw Princess Luna,he had been under Princess Celestia's guidance. Frost Bite thought that would be a sweet deal, but Princess Celestia was a harsher teacher than Luna. They would repeat a certain spell again and again until he got it right. Barely casting a spell wasn't enough for the princess; it had to be perfect. Each time he made a mistake, he was ordered to do it again.

Because of this, Frost Bite read all night before sleeping. Actually, he read all the time. He became fixated that he should know before even Princess Celestia could teach about it. So in three days, he was like Twilight Sparkle; reading in advance and sometimes way too advanced.

It was a good thing Frost Bite was a fast learner; he could read a spell and execute it quickly, though imperfect. Within three days, he became a true student of magic.

For Frost Bite, it was tiring. It exhausted him as he tried to please the princess's expectations. He loved reading and he still does, but he never thought he would think there is such thing as too much reading. Now he did.

In those three days, Frost Bite embraced every moments of food. He would ask for more sugary treats after meal, which helped him in his studies. Ever since he started doing spells and studying, he craved for more sweets. Magic was draining him, and so sugar was needed to replenish his mind and body.

Sing Song wasn't allowed to accompany him during lessons, so most of the time Frost Bite talked to Ombré who followed him everywhere, and literally everywhere since he was ordered to be Frost Bite's bodyguard. While Frost Bite loved the idea of having a bodyguard, he noticed that Ombré wasn't really an open pony. Ombré would often decline his offer to eat together and would often avoid eye contact and talk as little as possible. Frost Bite missed Sing Song's voice. They do talk at night though, but Frost Bite would have to cut the chatter to minimum to study.

And now, Frost Bite was trying to cast a spell he wasn't sure was for. There was a huge egg on the center of the room and Frost Bite was having a hard time executing the spell.

"Frost Bite, concentrate," Princess Celestia reminded him.

He closed his eyes and focused. He tried to remember what he had read last night. Frost Bite, with all might, charged his horn, then converted all the energy into warmth. With that, he aimed and fired the spell into the egg.

Frost Bite then fell on his haunches, panting.

"Congratulations, Frost Bite."

Frost Bite looked up to see the egg. Nothing happened? What is going—

CRACK! The egg began cracking and soon the whole shell shattered, revealing... nothing?

"Princess Celestia?" Frost Bite called.

"Yes?"

"It’s empty."

"Of course it is."

"Um. Why?"

"Why?” Princess Celestia looked up from her clipboard to Frost Bite. “Well, this test is meant for my school's entrance examination, but seeing that you already are a student, I see no need for a real dragon egg." Princess Celestia magically removed all the egg shells. "Are you interested doing a real egg?"

"Oh, I don't think I want to," Frost Bite replied. It reminded him of Spike back in Ponyville. Twilight probably did the test and got Spike from it. It made him wonder if dragons gave their eggs to ponies or if the ponies stole them, but Frost Bite decided not to think about it; he was already tired and hungry.

"That will be all for this morning, Frost Bite," Princess Celestia said.

"Huh?"

"Did you forget about our plan for today?"

Frost Bite was so busy reading and practicing that he didn't even know what Princess Celestia was talking about.

"In case you have forgotten, we are going to the Crystal Empire to meet the delegates of other countries," Princess Celestia said as she turned her back to Frost Bite to clean up the room. "It is very important that all princesses are present."

"Oh." Frost Bite's ears flattened. He wanted to see Crystal Kingdom, but he knew he can't just ask Princess Celestia if he can come along. "I guess I'll just stay here in the castle."

"Is that so?" Princess Celestia said. "You are more than welcome to come if you want to, Frost—"

She turned around, only to see no pony in the room but her.

"Bite?"


Frost Bite walked the castle halls dejectedly, knowing she was stuck in the castle. Ombré was right behind Frost Bite, but he was too depressed to notice him.

"Something wrong, Frost Bite?" Ombré asked, giving in to his concerns.

"Nothing."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah."

That was too short for their usual conversation. It worried Ombré, and it was clear something was bothering her. He walked faster to walk alongside her, something he never did before.

"So, how was your session?"

"It's fine. I guess it always is. Just fine," Frost Bite replied and smiled weakly. "Look at you, engaging conversation."

"Ahaha, yeah, uh," Ombré stammered. "It is just that you seem down today."

"Oh, sorry for making you worry."

"You don't have to apologize. In fact, perhaps I should be the one to do so."

"And why is that?"

"I reject all your kindness to me! Whenever you ask me to join you, I often refuse."

"I understand. Sing Song told me guards have a strict code of duty, so I guess it's more like I'm bugging you. Hehe, bugging you..."

"That is not true. I actually enjoy my time around you," Ombré said as he looked away.

"Aw, shucks. Aren't you a sweet one? And kinda sappy too."

Before Ombré could even reply, a force knocked Frost Bite off her hooves, making her tumble along with the source of the force. Frost Bite got dizzy and shook her head, only to realize she was on her back and Princess Luna was on top of her.

"Frost Bite!" Princess Luna called excitedly. "Oh, how long it has been! I am finally free. My sister was relentless, I tell you."

"Luna?"

"I can see you have been working hard, judging by your scores. You make me so proud of you."

"Can you please get off first?"

"Hm? Oh yes, I must," Princess Luna said then moved aside, and levitated Frost Bite and placed her standing on her hooves.

"It's nice seeing you, Luna,” Frost Bite said as he dusted himself off.

"Indeed, I have the same sentiments. Anyways, I did come here to see if you have prepared."

"Prepared for what?"

"You weren't informed? How unusual of my sister."

"Informed about what?"

"The business we have in Crystal Empire? Does it not ring any bells?"

Upon hearing Luna's words, Frost Bite slouched and his ears flattened.

"Oh, right. You guys have fun in the Empire with the delegates. I'll just read or something," Frost Bite said and started to walk past Luna.

"Excuse me? I am not going anywhere without my personal student."

Frost Bite's posture straightened and she turned around.

"Really!?"

"Well, of course. I cannot just leave my student unattended here after all."

Frost Bite gave Princess Luna a sudden short hug.

"Oh, this is exciting! I've never been to the Crystal Empire before. Are we going to take the train?"

"While I do like the idea of riding a giant metal cabin run by steam machination, we do have our own mode of transportation."


As you all know, the princesses of Equestria are known to travel by their own personal chariots. Well, at least Princess Celestia and Princess Luna does; Princess Cadence travels by her city's crystal train.

If one would pit the three in a race, it is likely that Luna's chariot would win. Not even the power of technology can beat the strength of two bat pony guards in speed. If you're wondering about rankings, the train would go second and Celestia's chariot last.

It was said that Princess Luna's guard were trained to do their best at everything, and chariot pulling was no exception. Of course, this became a problem since it would appear that some pony was over speeding and is out of control, especially back a thousand years ago when Nightmare Moon was at large. And so today, Princess Luna's chariot was one of the most feared things in Equestria.

Riding that said chariot was Frost Bite, who was screaming in fear.

"I'D RATHER RIDE THE TRAIN!"

"WHAT!? I CANNOT COMPREHEND YOUR WORDS DUE TO THE WINDS!"

Sing Song wasn't screaming though. She was inside Frost Bites saddle bag, nestled inside a big matchbox, sleeping. It was one of the few moments that Frost Bite wished that he could turn in a breezie. Maybe there's a spell for that?

As they sped along the skies, the Crystal Empire greatly shined in the ever closing distance. For a moment, he forgot about their fearsome speed and appreciated the shining city.

Without Frost Bite realizing, the chariot had already landed in front of the Crystal Empire’s castle.

“Thank you, my dashing stallions. Another fantastic ride, job well done,” said Luna to her personal servants, in which they just bowed in response.

Frost Bite wanted Princess Luna’s words to be sarcastic, but it wasn’t. Luna genuinely loved the way they make the chariot speed like a train off tracks.


After settling in their own rooms, Frost Bite asked Princess Luna’s permission to go around the city; Princess Luna happily granted it.

Sing Song woke up in Frost Bite’s mane.

“Where am I?” she asked.

“Oh goody! You woke up! We’re going to look around Crystal Empire.”

“When did I say I’d go? And you didn’t wake me up and just placed me in your mane.”

“Oh, come on! This is Crystal Empire! A new place we haven’t seen before.”

“I guess, but I just woke up, so careful with your walking.”

“Roger that!”

“What’s a Roger?”

“Uh, I never really knew.

The shiny city was… shiny. I am kidding, of course. After all, it’s made of crystals. The city was filled with buildings that seemed to look like ones from Canterlot and Manehatten, except they’re made of crystal. Even the roads were crystal, which really impressed Frost Bite.

On the side of the road, shops of sorts stood, covered by tents. Some sold crystal berries and berry baked good, which smelled mouth-watering, some sold corn on cobs, and one sold crystal flugel horns.

Frost Bite immediately approached the cherry stand. Cupcakes, muffins, and varieties of crystal berry baked goods were on display, all of which made Frost Bite hungry.

“Food again, Frost Bite?” Sing Song poked out of Frost Bite’s mane.

“Hey, I forgot to eat breakfast.”

“Salutations!” said a crystal pony behind the stall. “What can I get you?”

“I’m having those muffins. How about you, Sing Song?”

“Just get me a couple of berries.”

“Easy enough.”

The crystal pony gave their order in a paper bag. Frost Bite noticed the pony was staring at her head.

“Is there something on my head?” Frost Bite asked.

“Me, you dolt!” Sing Song retorted.

“Oh my! How adorable! What is she?” the vendor asked.

“I’m a breezie. Never seen one before?”

“Believe it or not, there’s quite a lot we crystal ponies have yet to see, since we just got freed from the curse two years ago.”

“What curse?” Frost Bite asked.

“Oh, perhaps you should ask some pony else. I’m not really quite knowledgeable on that,” the vendor said with a smile.

“Oh, okay. Thanks!”

Frost Bite walked away from the shop.

“Do you think it would be rude if I ask them to let me touch their crystal mane and coat?” Frost Bite asked as he gave Sing Song a berry.

“That is just being creepy, dude.”

“But aren’t you curious? They look like crystal, but they’re like normal ponies!”

“Remind me to tell you not to touch any pony here.”


The duo spent much of their time walking from shop to shop with Frost Bite buying food from each. It was a good thing Princess Luna gave Frost Bite allowance, something Frost Bite thought was surprising.

So far he bought cherry pie, corn on a cob, muffins, yogurt, and a flugelhorn. Eventually, Sing Song got full eventually and by eventually, I meant after they visited two shops.

“I wonder what else they got around here.”

“Are you always hungry?”

“Hey, if there’s something I haven’t eaten yet, then I have to eat.”

Frost Bite stopped walking suddenly, making Sing Song almost fall out of his mane.

“Hey! What’s the big idea!?”

“Oh nothing, it’s just Mango Jill’s balloon shop thing!”

Sing Song looked ahead and saw the unmistakably yellow transformable stall belonging to the one and only Mango Jill.

“I can’t believe she’s here! Let’s go see her!”

“Okay, but would you just calm do—ah!”

Frost Bite dashed off before Sing Song could even finish. As Frost Bite ran, he began to see Mango Jill and upon closing in, gave her a hug.

“Mango, I missed you! I know we didn’t bond much but-”

Before Frost Bite could even finish, Mango Jill grappled Frost Bite into a position where she held Frost Bite’s stomach from his behind.

“Uh, Mango?”

Mango Jill then lifted Frost Bite as Mango Jill’s back arched. It was at this moment that Frost Bite wondered if this was her way of returning hugs, but as his head slammed into the ground, his mind went blank. Sing Song flew off his head before that.

Then, there was a loud thud.

Mango Jill held the position for a second, then let go of Frost Bite. Mango Jill stood up, while Frost Bite remained on the cracked, shiny ground. The ponies around them just stared at the sudden event, unsure whether it was a street performance or a fight taking place.

Sing Song can only stare too at his fallen friend. Frost Bite shook his head, giving a sign of life which gave ponies around a sigh of relief. They all agreed silently that it was nothing more than a public performance.

“Ouch,” Frost Bite loudly exclaimed.

“Mango, what the hay!” Sing Song howled, fuming about the fact her friend just got a back suplex.

“Sorry, but I don’t do hugs,” Mango Jill said in her usual calm voice.

“Sure, hugs are a no no for you, but do you have to do have to finish Frost Bite with a slam!?”

“Uh huh. Especially strangers.”

“Strangers!?” Sing Song shouted as waved her hooves wildly. “We rode your balloon thing to Ponyville last time! We even sang together! What in Tartarus is wrong with you?”

Mango Jill paused for full five seconds and I mean pause like she didn’t move an inch or even breathe. Then, she moved again, as if someone placed back her batteries.

“Ah, you must have met my sister.”

“What?”

“Didn’t Mango Jill tell you? That she has a sister?”

“What?” Sing Song could only repeat.

“No wonder you guys got confused; we do kinda look alike.”

For a moment, Sing Song could not believe what she was hearing. If what she said was true, then they must be twins.

“Help me,” Frost Bite muttered.

Quickly, the yellow pony helped Frost Bite get up.

“Ow, my head. Was that some sort of family greeting?”

“Nah, I just don’t know you. Stranger danger, you know.”

“Uh, I think it’s best if you just introduce yourself,” Sing Song said.

“What?” Frost Bite said looking at Sing Song and Mango Jill’s sister back and forth.

“I’m Mango Jane, in case you’re wondering.”

“No, you’re Mango Jill,” Frost Bite said as he pointed at her.

“Nope, I’m Mango Jane,” she replied calmly.

“No, you are MANGO JILL,” Frost Bite said, raising his voice slightly.

“Nope, I’m Mango Jane,” she replied, sounding the same as her last answer.

“NO YOU’RE MANGO JILL!”

“Nope, I’m Mango Jane.”

“Are you having an identity crisis?” Frost Bite asked. “I can get you to a doctor, like right away.”

“Frost Bite! This is Mango Jill’s sister!” Sing Song screamed.

This time, it was Frost Bite’s turn to pause, but only for a second.

“I knew all ponies look alike,” Frost Bite muttered.

“In any case, thank you for being friends with my little sis. We don’t get much friends, you know.”

“Yeah, no problem. It was actually Mango Jill who helped us in the first place,” Sing Song said.

“That’s nice of her.”

“FROST BITE!!!” a voice in the distance screamed.

The three looked at the source of the voice, and saw Ombré running through a crowd

“Frost Bite!” Ombré said as he panted. “How could you leave without your guard? You should have told me if you were going out!”

“Ombré?” Frost Bite tilted her head. “Uh, I’m okay. I just got back suplexed by Mango Jane.”

“Mango Jane?” Ombré looked around and saw the said pony. He spread his front hooves and bared his fangs. “How dare you harm Princess Luna’s personal student.”

“Whoa, you look pretty intense,” Mango Jane said.

“Not another fight,” Sing Song said, rubbing her forehead with her hooves.

“Ombré! It’s okay! I’m okay! So just calm down. You look pretty scary.”

Upon hearing Frost Bite’s words, Ombré stopped, and he stood normally again.

“Very well. But I will take this mare in. She had just assaulted you, and I will press charges.”

“Ombré! It was my mistake so she did that! Just let her go, please?”

“No, she will face trial and will be punished accordingly. She-”

When Ombré faced Frost Bite, she was doing a face; a puppy face. You know the one, the one where you look adorable so you can make someone do what you want.

Sing Song, however, didn’t get it.

“What are you doing?” she asked.

“What?” Frost Bite replied, still holding the face.

“What the hay is that face?”

“I don’t follow.”

“Fine. I will let her go this time,” Ombré said, looking stern.

“Thanks Ombré!” Frost Bite said as she (he) hugged Ombré. “Your armor really gets in the way.”

“I- Well- I-” Ombré stammered. Then, he shook his head. “I’m only letting her go because you said she is innocent. I trust your words.”


Frost Bite, Ombré, and Sing Song returned to the castle, while Mango Jane went back to her business.

“So, what’s Luna up to?” Frost asked as they walked through the shimmering halls.

“The meeting just got concluded, so she must be free by now,” Ombré answered. “Would you like to see her?”

“Yeah I guess. I’m done looking around anyway.”

So they walked through the halls and reached the balcony, where all the three princesses were. Frost Bite stopped at the archway.

“What are they doing here?” Frost Bite asked. “Oh, is that Princess Cadence? She does look pretty.”

“Hey, that’s Twilight!” Sing Song pointed out from Frost Bite’s mane.

“Wait, she’s a princess? What kind of a princess that lives on a library?”

“Princess Twilight is here for the delegates’ visit,” Ombré said. “Do you know each other?”

“Uh, you could say that,” Frost Bite answered and immediately hid behind the wall. Of course he knew her; she tried to hunt him down back in Ponyville. The memory sent shivers in his spine. “Can we go now?”

“They are probably having a private conversation, anyways. We must not intrude on such,” Ombré said.

“Yeah, yeah, let’s go.” Frost Bite started pushing Ombré away.

“Well, alright…?”

As they moved away, singing can be heard from the balcony. It sounded wonderful, but not even the singing of the princess can remove the fear Twilight had brought to him.

After a while, they stopped in front of a giant double door.

“Hey, what’s inside this room?” Frost Bite asked.

“This is Starswirl The Bearded’s preservation room. It contains some items from the moving museum, but most of it is kept here,” Ombré said.

“Let me guess; you wanna look inside.” Sing Song floated in front of Frost Bite, examining the door.

“Well, duh.”

“I’m afraid I can’t let you do that, Frost Bite.” Ombré stood before the doors.

“Why not?”

“This is a restricted area for educational reasons. One must always enter with a curator.”

“Oh, please!?” Frost Bite begged.

“Why do you even want to see a bunch of stuff left by a stinky old pony?” Sing Song asked, looking bored.

Frost Bite realized that Sing Song must be playing uninterested.

“Fair point, Sing Song,” Frost Bite said.

“Wait, what!? You’re going to dismiss the greatest unicorn ever lived?” Ombré said with utmost disbelief.

“Well, yeah. It’s just his stuff,” Frost said as she turned around. This is so gonna work!

“But you have to be interested! You are a student of magic! Even Princess Twilight loves this stuff.”

“I guess she’s a big fan?” Frost Bite turned around again.

“Almost all unicorns look up to Starswirl.” Ombré made a serious face.

“Whoa, okay. Maybe I’m a little interested then.” Frost Bite put up his front hooves. “That said, why don’t you show us inside?”

“What?”

“Since you say he’s so amazing, maybe you can tell us a thing or two about him inside.”

“I’m afraid I do not have much knowledge on the topic.”

“Come on! After convincing me like that? We’ll just look around, I promise; no touching.”

Ombré pondered for a while. It would be against policy, but Frost Bite was Princess Luna’s personal student. She would have brought her some other time, so why not let her see it now? Besides, she might learn or get inspired or something.

“Very well.”

Frost Bite squealed in delight as she hopped in place, both of which annoyed Sing Song.

“Great job, Sing Song!” Frost Bite whispered to Sing Song.

“About what?”

“You know, acting uninterested.”

“Well, I am un—”

“Come on!” Frost Bite grabbed Sing Song with his magic and walked right behind Ombré as he entered the room.

Inside the room, personal belongings and tools that were once used by Starswirl The Bearded filled the enormous room in every direction. Glass cabinets and shelves contained arcane things like scrolls and notes, and some contained mundane everyday things like quills and presumably a toothbrush.

“Well, that looks really important,” Sing Song blurted out, looking at the blue toothbrush.

“Just don’t touch anything. I’m not supposed to let you in here.” Ombré followed Frost Bite through the room.

“Oh, what’s this?” Frost Bite pointed at a book inside a glass case.

“That’s Starswirl’s study journal. The book is so sensitive they have to put it there,” Ombré said as he looked around himself.

Frost Bite gazed on the book, tapping her chin as she was deciding whether she should open the case or not. She opened it anyway by lifting the glass case, and lo and behold, the book disintegrated.

“So that’s what they mean by sensitive.” Frost Bite looked around if any pony saw, and then lowered the glass case.

“Hey, what’s this? A candlestick?” Sing Song asked looking at the used candle.

“Maybe it's the candlestick that was used by Star Swirl to light the way when he was exploring the caverns of Maretania!” Frost Bite said as she moved quickly away from the dust that was once a book.

“Wow, you read about that story?” Ombré asked in amazement.

“It says right there on the metal plate,” Frost Bite said as he pointed at the inscription on the pedestal.

“Oh.” Ombré said, sounding disappointed.

“Hey, you can’t expect me to know.”

After a few minutes, they reached the end of the room.

“I can’t believe I’ve seen stuff that are actually pointless,” Sing Song said.

“Hey! These are items left behind by the greatest unicorn that ever lived.”

“Sure, but you don’t see my toothpicks on display.”

“I don’t see you getting a museum anytime soon,” Ombré snapped and glared at the tiny companion floating above Frost Bite.

“Well I don’t see you getting a girlfriend.” Sing Song floated down from Frost Bite’s head, and drifted in front of Ombré’s face.

“I could say the same to you!”

“Sure, if I cared.”

“Why you little—”

“Hey guys! Look at this cool mirror!”

The two stopped glaring daggers at each other and looked at Frost Bite and when they did, they saw him making funny faces in the mirror.

“Frost Bite, don’t tell me; you haven’t seen a mirror before.” Sing Song folded her hooves.

“What? Wait, of course I have! It’s just that this mirror is kinda big.”

And it was. It stood thrice Frost Bite’s height and it seemed to be recent, lacking dust and corrosion.

“This doesn’t look that old.” Frost Bite said as she poses in front of the mirror.

“Princess Twilight has a special interest in that mirror, but I forgot what that was,” Ombré said as he walked and then stood beside Frost Bite.

“It’s a fancy mirror, what else can it be?” Sing Song said.

“Hey, this necklace Luna gave me really looks awesome on me!”

“I agree,” Ombré muttered.

“You know what? Since this is a crescent moon, I turn it into a full circle just doing this!” Frost Bite proceeded to hold her crescent moon pendant and let it touch the mirror, creating a full moon.

“Woohoo, neat trick buddy.” Sing Song said sarcastically.

As Frost Bite was holding the pendant against the mirror, it began to shine and shine brighter.

“Now that’s a neater trick!”

“What?” Frost Bite looked at the mirror and saw the pendant glowing even brighter. “For the record, I’m not sure how this trick works…”

And then, the glowing disappeared, and Frost Bite’s hoof that was leaning on the mirror sank through. Frost Bite screamed in surprise.

“What the hay is this mirror!?”

“Hang on, I’ll get you out of there!” Ombré moved quick and pulled Frost Bite out, making them tumble on the crystal flooring. “Are you alright?”

“Yeah, it’s just that… Hey, where’s Sing Song?”

The two looked around for their tiny companion, but she was nowhere to be seen. And then, Ombré’s face contorted to horror.

“I-I pushed her. Into the mirror. Oh stars, I didn’t mean to!”

Frost Bite looked horrified, but immediately snapped into seriousness, jumped to her hooves and faced the mirror. “Then there’s no time to lose!”

“Wait! We don’t even know what’s in there! Or if there even anything in there!”

“Well, I can’t just leave my best friend there! Get help, I’ll go look for her.”

“Wait, Frost-”

And with that, Frost Bite galloped and thrusted herself into the mirror, passing through its magic.