• Published 28th Sep 2014
  • 2,459 Views, 228 Comments

Stormy and Merlos Adventures - NoisyPegasus



Stormy Weather, a pegasus youth, has been stolen away from her home in Equestria to an even more fantastic place. With only a grumpy new friend she's met for help, can she get home? Or will some nasty monster get the better of her.

  • ...
5
 228
 2,459

CHAPTER 000: The neat trick.

Stormy Weather tilted her wings left, following the strong wind leading east towards a long series of canyons and cliffs she was intent on visiting that afternoon.

Okay, so if I finish off with that loop, then spin as I dive through the storm cloud, it should spray the lightning out away from me and up... and hopefully not hit any of the crowd... She bit her lip in worry over the thought and subsequent catastrophic mental picture. It wasn’t going to stop her from executing the plan either way, but she was heading out somewhere remote to practice the maneuver just to be sure it would go off without a hitch.

To be honest, she was still a bit nervous about the BYF; or in other words, the best young flyers competition.

Stormy let out a plaintive breath over the whole event, which had to be the most stressful thing that any pegasus could do ever. Her special talent wasn’t in tricks or stunt flying, it was in music. And, she was very proud of that fact, even if it set her apart from a lot of her family who were dominated by weather ponies. She was even named after the best weather pony in her whole family.

What all this meant was that she’d have to put in that much more effort to not look stupid in front of a hundred other pegasi.

Gazing at the horizon, she realized she’d only get a few chances to pull off her stunt before it would be time to go. At the same time, she spotted her destination: some remote airspace above a place called ‘Ghastly Gorge’.

Her schedule ran through her head as her wings angled left. Alright, most of an afternoon for practicing. There’s no way I’ll screw up.

“Oh, wait.” Her memory had almost slipped. “Tonight's duet night, duh. I wouldn’t miss that for the world!” Ohh, I hope grandma will pick something a little more complicated for us to play. Hm. While I’m hoping, maybe grandpa will have some cloud fried potatoes ready for me!

Stormy mmm’ed loudly and rubbed her stomach mid-flight at the idea of tasty, tasty fried potatoes.

Over her shoulder swung her violin, sitting quietly in its protective case and hidden in her satchel bag. The bag was made of a faux leather, bulging with its single content and adorned with a quick release belt buckle in case it ever got snagged on something while flying. It wasn’t as spacious as typical saddlebags, but she preferred it.

Snapping out of dreamy food thoughts, Stormy located a good spot in the sky to get started, as well as a key ingredient to her stunt. She began to push some convenient nearby clouds together that looked both ominously large and dark, which meant they were perfect for what she had in mind. Working quick with her hooves, she knitted their cloud-structure together into a big cumulo nimbus.

“This is going to be so incredible!” Stormy put the finishing touches on the cloud, running over her trick again one more time in her head.

She had always seen herself as a true show mare. The potential she had to share with the rest of equestria was seated in her making a name for herself, which wasn’t easy with so much competition out there. She wanted to play music, sing and pull off cool moves in the sky. Singing and moves like her best young flyer routine weren’t her strongest points, but that was why practice was so important.

I’m not going to be stuck working my life as a weather pony. She snorted. My parents would looove that, but no way.

Stormy put the thoughts out of mind and cleared her throat, ready to get started.

She began, “Fillies and gentlecolts! May I have your attention please! Contestant forty-four will be showing us an amazing performance! So keep your eyes peeled.” She then grinned and waved to the non-existent masses around the imaginary cloudeseum.

Clear.

After glancing around, she made a wide sweeping spiral as all fliers did when checking that the area was clear. She then banked into a canopy roll, using her wings to pump herself through the air as fast as she could manage, her maneuvering showing off a hint of grace as she corkscrewed through the air.

Fly.

With a sudden change in direction she snapped into a one-eighty with a wing-over turn, her wings flapping harder and harder as she propelled herself a little faster. Her forehooves moved as if she were popping smoke batons, bringing herself into a tight aileron roll while gaining some altitude at the same time. Then, she clasped her wings to her side, and quickly felt the air slow and the slight feeling of weightlessness was upon her as she stalled out.

Fall.

Stormy snapped her wings out stiffly, rolling belly up and bringing herself into what hopefully looked like a seemingly uncontrollable flatspin. She fell through the air and spun in a helicopter like fashion, throwing her hooves out at the last second as she punched through her cloud, causing it to arc lightning out its sides with a shaking crack of thunder.

And the big finish.

“Whoo!” Stormy let out a whoop, still falling in a controlled way. Her act was short, but she hoped it was impressive enough to get a good score.

While falling, she noticed her limbs glowing a little as scintillating sparkles rolled off of her. “Huh. What’s—” The sparks suddenly doubled, then tripled in number, and a pulling sensation yanked at her wings and back, cutting her off before she could exclaim in surprise.

Stormy began to protest and shout in terror as it felt like something ripped her right out of the air, and then cast her into an unsettling darkness.

Author's Note:

The story begins!