• Published 27th Sep 2014
  • 344 Views, 11 Comments

Quill's Journal (a.k.a. The journey to the center of Equestria) - Waterwitch222



When a threat befalls Equestria, it'll be up to three unlikely heros to save the day.

  • ...
 11
 344

Chapter 17: Darkness

Quill just stared at the window in disbelief, hoping that what she just saw wasn't real. Time Turner struggled to his hooves and stared at Quill with a look of sorrow.

"I should've gotten here sooner."

Quill said without turning around.

"Come on Quill, it wasn't your fault! It was mine for working myself so hard. If I hadn't, I would've been fine and we wouldn't have had to come here at all."

Turner said raggedly, coughing softly under his breath. Quill stared at him. Turner had never blamed himself so openly before. Quill began to wonder what her comrades were talking about while she was away. She brushed the thoughts away and straightened up, handing the vial of medicine to Turner.

"One gulp should be enough. We need to be ready to go in at least an hour if we want to save our friend and your brother."

---------------------------------------------

Firecracker blinked her eyes open and looked around, grimacing at the iron bars trapping her within the cell.

'This is too easy.'

she thought to herself. She squeezed her eyes shut as red magic gathered into her horn, preparing for a teleporting spell. Before she could blink, Firecracker was standing outside of her cell, dusting herself off triumphantly.

"Honestly, were they even trying?"

she thought out loud, as she walked down the row of cells. She was hoping to find Ash, or that amulet, or both. Her search was interrupted when she heard a cough behind her. She turned to find Chrysalis standing 2 feet away, levitating Ash with a green glow.

"Looking for him?"

the queen asked innocently, gesturing to Ash as if he were some toy. Firecracker gasped as Ash got dropped on the ground, his gasp of pain echoing through the cave.

"I'm warnin ya! Don't hurt'im, or i'll..."

she raged.

"Or what?"

Chrysalis interrupted mockingly. Firecracker didn't answer. She didn't say anything at all as all if her anger and rage built up inside of her, like a volcano about to explode.

Firecracker didn't understand what was happening, but whatever it was, it felt right, it felt natural, and it felt powerful. She hardly flinched as magic built up in her horn, because to her, the spell she had in mind was as simple as levitation. To Ash however, something strange was going on. He could sense a change in his friend, as if all of the negative emotions she's held back were resurfacing.

Firecracker hardly noticed what was happening to her. Her red magic was slowly turning purple and green, bubbling around her horn. The white of her eyes became lime green and her red pupils became slits while her irises became a dark red. Purple smoke began to gather up at the corners of her eyes, like smoke in a fireplace.

Ash knew what was happening even if he couldn't see it. He could feel it in the air. Firecracker was using dark magic. She had only used it once before... when the two of them had been jumped by a gang back in Manehattan. The air had become grim and cold, and even through his sightless eyes he knew Chrysalis was going to be in BIG trouble.

Chrysalis began to see what was happening and began to step away. Firecracker was too quick for her though. With a blood curdling scream, she shot a beam of dark magic at the queen, making her fall to the ground. Chrysalis wiped dirt off of her cheek and stared at the tangerine unicorn in horror as she returned to her normal self. Firecracker rubbed her throbbing head and rushed to Ash Brush's side, helping him to his hooves.

"LOCK THEM UP! LOCK THEM UP NOW!"

Chrysalis screamed, causing her two prisoners to be grabbed by two changelings and thrown into the nearest cell. As an extra precaution, Chrysalis put a spell around the cell, so only those of changeling blood could go inside or outside of the cell at will.

"Dang it!"

Firecracker cursed, as the queen walked away.

As soon as Chrysalis had left the cave, Ash hugged Firecracker tightly. Firecracker stiffened, but returned the gesture teary eyed.

"Are ya okay?"

she asked in concern. Ash gave a weak smile.

"Nothing I can't handle."

he replied. Firecracker ran her hoof through his mane in a way only an older sibling would, ruffling his bangs as she did.

"Did you come here alone?"

Ash asked in curiosity. Firecracker stopped and softly nodded to herself.

"Yeah, they took me right out of a window when I was taking care of... a friend."

she said.

"Was your friend my brother?"

Ash asked in hope. Firecracker stared at him in shock.

"How'd ya know I was traveling with ya brother?"

she asked in surprise. Ash grinned.

"Some unicorn visited me in my dreams and said he was alive and traveling with you and a future friend."

he answered.

"Wisteria. She visits ya too. That must mean your connected to this prophesy too."

Firecracker muttered.

"What prophesy?" Ash asked. Firecracker's answer was interrupted by a scream of agony as her horn glowed white. Firecracker could feel herself losing conscious as her eyes became an eery white. The last thing she saw before she passed out was Ash's terrified face and rusty iron bars.

---------------------------------------------