• Published 27th Sep 2014
  • 344 Views, 11 Comments

Quill's Journal (a.k.a. The journey to the center of Equestria) - Waterwitch222



When a threat befalls Equestria, it'll be up to three unlikely heros to save the day.

  • ...
 11
 344

prolouge

9 years ago...

"Oh, Quill! Just look at this veiw won't you? It's absolutly glorious!"

Sugar Sweet said to her daughter as they soared over Equestria on a cloud pulled by Wind Slicer , Sugar's husband. Quill hardly paid attention though. She had more on her mind than the veiw on their way to visit cousin Soda Pop in Trottingham. Quill chewed on a strand of black hair, thinking deeply.

"Quill, what's wrong? Are you still upset about not having a cutie mark? I told you it'll come...."

Sugar started. "No. The creative writing contest for school ends in four days...and I havn't written a word!"

Quill interupted, her eyes wide in disappointment.

"Don't worry Quill, you'll think of something. For now, just enjoy visiting your cousin."

Wind Slicer said as they landed in Soda's yard, Soda's smile wide in excitment as she welcomed her relatives to Trottingham.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quill was having fun with her favorite cousin, but her writing peice still nagged at her mind.

"You're as quiet as the colts that guard Queen Ann Lace's palace. You alright mate?"

Soda asked in concern.

"It's this contest at home. I haven't found any source of an idea."

Quill answered glumly. Soda thought for a moment.

"Sounds to me like a case of writer's block, and I know just the cure for that!"

"What?"

"A trip to the parfait shop in town."

Soda answered with a grin.

As the two ponies sat outside eating ice cream, Quill thought some more. A tale of a sea pony who becomes an earth pony? To predictable. A horror story about an old corpse looking for a shoe? Already done. A short story about a little foal's dream? To kiddish. Quill looked aound the street, hoping to find some inspiration. Her eyes fell on a large clock tower across the street.

"Soda? What's that?"

Quill asked, gesturing her hoof toward the tower.

"Why that little cousin is Big Glen, named after Glen Pasture, a rodeo pony who saved Trottingham from a dragon attack."

Soda explained.

"Really?"

Quill asked.

"Really. It's powered by unicorn magic, everything related to time comes from that clock."

"What if it stopped?"

Quill ventured.

"I don't know. Most likely mess around with the future and past i'd suspect."

Soda replied, taking another bite of her ice cream.

That's all Quill needed to know. An image began to fill her mind of a young unicorn colt named Gear Spark who accidently stopped time. The more time Quill spent with Soda, the more ideas came to her. After saying her goodbyes at the end of the week, she had a whole story in her head. As soon as she came home to Ponyville, she took out a piece of paper and began to write everything from the story her page could hold. She titled it "Clockwork Wonders" and sended it to the contest on the last day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And the winner is..."

Quill bit her lip as she sat on a cushion near the stage outside the schoolhouse.

"Clockwork Wonders by Quill. Come up to the stage and clame your prize young filly. You've earned it."

Ms. Pencil Sketch said with a smile. Quill walked up to the stage and smiled at the beaming and applauding ponies below. As she felt a gold medal be put around her neck, a flash appeared at her flank. She looked over and grinned. Her cutie mark (a pencil on top of a notebook.) had appeared. As she walked down the steps, she was greeted by a tight hug from her dad.

"We're so proud of you Quill! You did an amazing job."

Sugar Sweet gushed.

"Thanks mom."

Quill said happily. The three pegasai then set off toward home. When they reached it, a package was on the step. Quill picked it up and ripped the paper off. Inside was a grey fedora. A note was also inside. It read: "Dear Quill, I found this in my attic. It's not really my style so I thought maybe you might like it. Maybe if you wear it, it'll give you inspiration! Hope you like it and wear it often. Your cousin, Soda Pop."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And wear it often she did. After that day, Quill never took it off. She became a very succesful writer, rewriting Clockwork Wonders at a later age,writing more amazing stories after traveling all over Equestria, and even co-writing "Daring Do and the Griffin's Goblit." Quill was a published author and now lives peacfully in Ponyville...for now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------