• Published 16th May 2012
  • 18,589 Views, 764 Comments

Do you believe in Ghosts? - Material Defender



A Ghost team, stranded in a new world, goes to war alongside the Equestrians.

  • ...
45
 764
 18,589

Stranger in the Court

Author's Note: It occurred to me that my readers might not actually know what EndWar is. This trailer will shed some light on the open-ground warfare as well as a demonstration of the United States' Freedom Star weapons system. For more Future Soldier related goodness, as well as another use of the shoulder-mounted rocket launcher and active camouflage, this trailer is worth watching. The FS trailer also shows exoskeletons (mounted on the sides of the legs), a good look at the MR8 assault rifle, as well as a US Army HAMMER drone, which is unfortunately not present in this story.


"Listen up, you pansies. Today will be a crash course in how to properly fire a ranged bolt weapon. I don't like the fact that you all got the easy way out and got crossbows, but that's out of the question. The proper thing is that you know how to fire, reload, and maintain these things." Raymond had taken up the mantle of instructor for today's course, and was lecturing Anvil Squad on the proper use of their newfound weapons.

"Eh, don't we just aim and shoot?" Mendoza said, looking down the sights of his crossbow and making a few pew-pew noises.

"Can you reload that thing, Fuse? Let's see you try it."

"Yes, sir, instructor Raymond, sir," Mendoza said humorously. He grabbed a bolt from the table in front of him and attempted to pull back the string on the bow. "Uh, heh... this thing's being, uh... a bit... annoying..." he said, straining as he continued attempting to lock the string.

Raymond walked over, snatching the crossbow from Mendoza's fumbling hands, and effortlessly armed the bow, slamming the bolt into the notch, before handing it back to Mendoza without a word.

"Oh... so that's how you load it..." Mendoza muttered. He brought up the iron sights and fired as the bolt found its target in a giant circular target, made of hay, and painted with red circles. "See, near the center. Not bad, right?"

"You going to be using that thing in hallways all the time, Fuse? You expect your enemies to run up to shake your hand while you point that thing in their face?" Raymond said. "Back fifty meters, then let's see how well you do."

Mendoza shrugged as he swiped a bolt off the table before backtracking the ordered distance. "This good enough, chief?" he shouted.

Raymond nodded. "Good enough, you assface." He walked off to the side, rejoining the observing Talbot and Pastor. "Load that thing and fire away!"

"Roger!" They could barely hear Mendoza curse as he fumbled with loading it again, earning a snicker from Pastor. He quickly recovered, though, and managed to fire the shot towards the target. It landed roughly outside the medium-ranged circle.

"Not bad... if you're blind. See, this is why I'm the marksman," Raymond said, walking downrange and inspecting the arrow's landing. "By marksman standards, a shot at long distance with your aptitude would most likely miss. Any more distance, and the shot would deviate so badly, it would fly around the planet and hit you in the ass."

"Well, sorry, Robin Hood, I didn't grow up firing pellet guns at squirrels in my backyard or hunting the local friendly neighborhood Spiderman with a fucking bow." Mendoza waved the crossbow around widely for dramatic effect.

"Then let's just hope you don't want to make some new friends up close," Raymond said, pulling out the training bolts. "At least the crossbows have plenty of punch, at least a good half to three-quarters length of penetration, can induce bleeding or some fatal shots, depending on where it hits."

"Yeah, smartass," Mendoza said, tossing the crossbow to Raymond. "Alright, Mister Sharpshooter, let's see you work your magic."

"Gladly." Raymond walked the fifty meters away from the target, standing next to Mendoza. He armed the crossbow in a flash, and brought it up to shoulder height. His eyes narrowed as he zeroed in on the target, and squeezed the handle, sending the bolt flying. It found a near-perfect shot in the center. "See? Piece of cake."

"Yeah, yeah..." Mendoza rolled his eyes. "Give me that thing," he said, swiping the crossbow away from Raymond. "If this thing fired rockets, I wouldn't have as many problems with it..." he grumbled as he went back to practicing.

Talbot merely smiled and shook his head as Raymond came back to them. "Well, I guess we should all get acquainted with those things. Any chance that you can up the power on them? You said the griffons took at least 12 arrows to take down."

"No, my arrows were just a bit flimsy," Raymond said. "Basic wood arrows with standard tipped arrowhead and fletching. I'm going to have to work on making an improved model, one with more mass and hitting power, maybe a new steel-tipped arrowhead and make it reinforced, too. The bolts already come pre-equipped, and from what I can see, the pony versions are essentially the same."

"On the assumption that we do end up finding gunpowder somehow..." Pastor said. "...do you think you could fashion an explosive ammunition or something for Mendoza to play around with?"

"Not unless it's remotely triggered. Basic gunpowder doesn't work fantastically well for explosive-tipped weaponry since it requires something to ignite it, and a mechanism for that is intricate as fuck, on top of needing to be strapped to every single bit of ammunition, as well. You're better off just trying to give him incendiary weapons, though knowing him, he'd rather it make a big boom than a big fire."

"Fuse can cope," Talbot said, folding his arms. "I sincerely doubt that we'll find any gunpowder soon unless we're all willing to toss away our MR8 bullets just to make a breaching charge."

"Toss away depleted uranium rounds just so Fuse can make a few cherry bombs? No way, boss," Pastor laughed. "Besides, don't we have our grenades?"

"Yeah..." Raymond agreed. "And didn't Fuse say something about sneaking a little extra for this mission?" He looked suspiciously at Talbot. "Did you green light anything?"

"I bent the rules a little bit..." the Ghost captain shrugged. "...he has a remote explosive..." They raised an eyebrow at him. "...okay, a few remote explosives. Hey, you never know when we might need them."

"Agreed, though it seems that it might have been a better decision than previously thought," Pastor said. "Okay, now I seriously regret not bringing along a machinegun for this mission. If griffons are really some tough assholes to deal with, I'd rather spray and pray a wall of lead at their faces than pick 'em off with crossbows."

"Relax, Shell... I have complete faith that the depleted uranium rounds have more than enough power and armor-piercing properties to rip them a new one," Raymond said.

"Yeah, let's just hope we don't end up fighting a war that's just us against them."

"Why not? We can take 'em. We just have to play dirty. Really dirty."

"Yeah, yeah, 'only the dead fight fair' and all that shit."

"Our greatest weapons are our minds, Shell. Never forget that. Now, if we're done here, you guys can continue your little firing rounds here in the courtyard. I have a meeting to attend," Talbot said.

"Will do, sir. Say hello to the good doctor for us," Pastor said, before turning back to watch Mendoza pulling dramatic action poses before firing his gun. Raymond turned around and merely started shouting at Mendoza for the lack of dedication to his training, earning a laugh from Talbot before he walked off back into the castle.


Talbot walked through the ornate halls before entering the lecture assembly room again, seeing Harvey at a lecture with the Princesses as the listeners this time, along with Captain Shining.

"...and this is the nature of the properties of your weapons?" Luna asked. "You use this... gunpowder, you call it... to use force to propel a metal object at high speeds in order to inflict damage on a target?"

"Essentially, yes, that is the gist of it, Your Majesty. Our people have adapted this method of combat to various degrees of scale. The largest of these weapons are artillery cannons which can propel an explosive projectile over the span of several miles."

"How very interesting, if a bit fearsome," she remarked.

"And that concludes my lecture on the nature of human weaponry. Any other questions?" Harvey asked, taking off his glasses. Receiving no response, he merely smiled and stepped off the stage of chalkboards and walked towards Talbot, who waited at the entrance.

"Doctor. Just bringing in the afternoon salutations from the squad," Talbot nodded.

"Well, I assume it must be fearfully bland as of this moment," Harvey said, looking to the unicorn and two alicorns conversing at a distance. "I assume you've begun battle preparations, then?"

"In earnest. Mendoza is having a little bit of trouble getting used to firing the crossbow, but I doubt there'll be much else happening otherwise."

"And your plan of attack? Do you have one? If the griffons really are intent on going to war... well, it's like you said..."

"We excel at surgical strikes, Doctor. My plan of attack would be to assassinate their military leaders and force them to surrender. The threat of constant assassination for anyone who tries to take control should curb their morale and fighting spirit long enough to force a ceasefire for talks."

"A bold move."

"A textbook move," Talbot responded. "Break the war machine by killing those in charge. Simple, clean, stealthy, and we can pull it off without pitting ourselves against an entire army. And unlike many armies, we hold the advantage in technology and training. We can do this, because we're the only ones who can. I don't expect even the Night Guard to be well-versed in black operations, much less experienced in actually doing them."

"Operating as a single team in enemy territory? Wouldn't it be dangerous if you were found out? I hate to think about it, but you can't just rule out the fact that you might just slip up somewhere down the line."

"We're Ghosts, Doctor," Talbot laughed, turning to walk away. "We were never even there. And besides, we have ways of getting out of situations when the odds are against us."

"Excuse me, Captain Talbot?" they heard Celestia say. If you could please come in, we would like to speak with you." Talbot gave a confused look to Harvey, while the uncertain doctor merely shrugged.

"Sure, Your Majesty..." Talbot said, walking up to the chairs where the three ponies sat. "Is there something you need?"

"Ah, perhaps it is best if we retired somewhere more secretive to discuss this matter... perhaps we should visit your quarters, dear sister?" Celestia asked Luna.

"I agree," Luna said. "Please, if you would all follow me. Yes, you, too, Captain Shining."

"Well, what about Doctor Harvey?" Talbot said, as he glanced at the old man walking back up to the stage and grabbing his notes off the podium. "By all rights and means, he's a scientist with high levels of access. If what we're discussing is truly important, then it would be wise for him to be as well-informed as I am."

"Very well," Luna said. "Doctor..." Harvey looked up from his notes. "...if you could also join us, it would be much appreciated. Now then, please come along. We have much to discuss."


The griffon hid in the forest, working his way around the outskirts as he passed a settlement. He lamented to his father's spirit: he was nothing but a scribe! He wasn't made to do all this sneaking about like a griffon tracker. And the trek from griffon borders had tired him out greatly, he didn't know how long he'd been traveling already... but at the very least, his rations hadn't run out.

He took a better gaze at the town from the treeline. Several familiar buildings, yes, like his father had described. He was on the right track. Ponyville, as he recalled his father speaking of this town. And judging by the closing distance towards the Equestrian capital of Canterlot in the distance, he could, perhaps, make good on his journey in a day or two.

His gaze turned from the city in the distance towards the mountain it sat on. If only the guards weren't on edge right now... his father had told him that he had to avoid being caught by the ponies at all costs. Now if only getting into the castle was as easy... He pulled out the small map and plans his father had detailed for him in order to sneak into the Canterlot royal castle, including a flight pattern that avoided the sight of guards and landed directly outside of Princess Celestia's balcony and room.

The trek up the mountain would be the most problematic one. There was barely any cover for him, and he knew there was traffic often enough on the mountain roads that he would most certainly be caught if he traveled them. His father, however, had planned for that, too. There was a small cave network that spanned the entire mountain that traveled up the length of the giant peak. This map also had specific routes, as a number of the caves were used as checkpoints and rest stations by the royal guards.

Perhaps now would be a good time to take a nap... the mountain certainly seemed so intimidating from a distance, and a good griffon should always get his sleep...


"We would like to discuss the next course of action with you, Captain, Doctor," Luna nodded, as she floated a world map towards the conference table. It was a copy of the map that the Ghosts had looked at in their own quarters, but this one had markings for several spots of incursion as well as troop movements from inland Equestria to the griffon borders.

"Well..." Talbot said, looking over the map. "Do you believe you can hold them off well enough?" He looked around at the ponies and Doctor Harvey, all sitting around the table.

"We have two small mountain ranges that span the center of the border," Shining said. "There's only one valley pass in between them. We don't have to place a lot guards in order to hold it, but the north and south passes..." he said, pointing at them with his hoof. "...have too great a gap to defend properly. Those areas actually open plains with roads passing through them. Those two locations are where we expect the griffons to attack in full force."

"Any towns within striking distance?" Talbot asked.

"We have Manehattan in the north, and Trottingham just northeast of there, along with Fillydelphia. And in the south, we have Maremi and Appleloosa. However, Manehattan, as one of the larger population centers, already has a fairly well-trained militia, and from a recent inspection by Captain Steelhoof, they're practically royal guard material. They number around several hundred strong. We can count on their help."

"And the militia numbers from the other towns?" Harvey asked. "Hopefully their numbers can help us."

"Las Pegasus, Trottingham, Fillydelphia, and Maremi also have around several hundred, while Stalliongrad has nearly over a thousand militiaponies, not counting the royal guards. Baltimare has a few dozen trained in forest operations due to their location, while Cloudsdale, in their proud tradition, always has at least half a thousand ready to fight. Appleloosa is still a relatively new town, so I'll be surprised if they even have one already trained up. Canterlot itself also has a standing militia force, but we'll most likely have them stay here and guard the city. There are more elsewhere, so I expect around at least five to seven thousand ponies ready to answer the call to arms. Only Ponyville and Dodge Junction are without militias."

"So with that, the military count is just over ten thousand..." Talbot noted. "Can you hold the lines well enough?"

"With leadership from the royal guards, I'm confident we can hold them back," Shining said proudly.

"Good. Because that's all you'll need to do..."

"What do you have in mind, Captain Talbot?" Luna asked.

Talbot put a hand on his chin in thought, exchanging a look with Harvey. "I have a plan that could potentially nip this conflict in the bud before it gets substantially worse."

"Yes? Please, speak of this plan."

Talbot leaned in, pointing at the center pass. "You send us in."

"Are you sure? Do you intend to take on the armies of the Griffon Empire single-hoofedly?"

"Not like that, Your Majesty. The easiest way to eliminate a superior enemy force is to break the back of their fighting machine by eliminating their leaders. This, in turn, will sow chaos among their ranks as they eventually realize that their chain of command is failing. With that, you can push the griffons back into their territory and force a ceasefire or a truce."

"I understand," Luna said. "It would be far more easier to eliminate their leaders than to take substantial losses in war... though I fear for the fate of our little ponies should the conflict break out."

"I will be in charge of relief efforts, sister," Celestia said. "Do not worry, I will keep them safe."

Luna nodded. "Very well. Then, Captain Talbot, what is the course of action that we should take during this war?"

"Simple. All you need to do is hold them off. Long enough for us to accomplish our task and perhaps return with news of the emperor dead."

"To kill the griffon emperor..." Celestia said, falling to silence.

"You have relations with him?" Harvey asked.

"Yes... we have shared an amiable relationship for most of his rule. He was always so friendly, and so loyal to his subjects. He ruled fairly and evenly, much like my sister and I do here in our nation. To think that he would brazenly approve of a war like this..."

"Then perhaps all we have to do is take him in alive and bring him back for questioning," Talbot said.

Celestia gave a sad smile. "Would it that were possible... he is a very large griffon, Captain, among one of the largest ever seen in the entirety of the world. It is his royal heritage that grants him his size as well as ability to lead. He is also fierce in combat, and I fear that bringing him in may be out of the question."

"I see..." Talbot sighed. "Damn... if only it was easy to get answers on this subject."

"I have sent off a letter to the ambassador of the Griffon Empire," Celestia said. "We shall wait for their response, and secretly prepare in the meantime." She looked to Shining. "Draft up the call to arms letters for the militias, but do not mail them until we give the word."

"Of course, Your Majesty." Shining saluted before leaving the room.

"So it's the waiting game now, huh?" Talbot said, shaking his head. "Usually the Ghosts would get sent in on a preemptive strike, but we usually do those with solid knowledge of enemy plans, not projecting and planning on a single letter like this..."

"It's the best we can do now, Captain," Harvey said. "We can't risk setting off a war if we can help it."

"All fun and games until somebody gets killed..." Talbot muttered. "Let's not all forget that we already have blood spilled here."

"I'm sorry, Captain. I know you are a man of action, but we must practice tact at the moment."

"Understood, Your Majesty." He stood up and saluted. "I'll continue our preparations. Let's hope your ambassador responds soon." His boots thumped against the floor as he left the room. Any preparations they could do were imperative. Nobody and nopony knew when the griffons were going to strike.


"How's this?" Harvey said, pulling off the goggles he wore at the forge. "I've made the modifications as you asked. Let's see how well it performs." He handed the arrow to Raymond.

"Nice. Heavy... and good equilibrium." He pulled the arrow into his bow and brought it to firing position, letting the string loose as it hit the target dummy with a satisfying clunk. "Very nice. At least fifty percent factor penetration against unarmored targets. These new arrows will definitely drop a griffon in a few shots or less." He retrieved the arrow, and equipped the dummy with plate armor.

"Oh? A new test?" Harvey asked.

"Yeah. Armor-piercing. If the griffons wear armor like the guards do, then I have to be able to deal with that, as well. The quartermaster told me that the crossbow bolts are already built to function like that, so there's no worry for the rest of my squad." He walked back a few paces to his previous firing position before sending the arrow back at the target's chest. It broke through the armor with a ping and embedded itself in the chest.

"Well... I guess that works..." Harvey commented, looking confusedly back at the neat row of arrows he had laying on his table. Did he perhaps go overboard triple-lining the arrowheads with refined and folded steel?

"Very impressive, doc," Raymond said, looking at the arrow jutting out of the armor. "Good damage on entry, at least thirty-five percent penetration factor at medium-long range. So long as it's a direct hit and doesn't glance off their armor, a shot with these new arrows should produce good results."

"I, uh... hadn't expected it to be so... effective..."

"Don't flatter yourself, doc," Raymond noted. "Their armor's just not as well-built as ours. This here's royal guard armor plating, an old model, but still remotely par to standards from what the quartermaster told me. As far as things are concerned, it's just a giant metal plate that needs a lot of direct force to break through."

"I thought it wouldn't be particularly effective at all against plate armor, actually..."

"You're right. I just wanted to test, just in case. Exposed areas are still king for this game, but it would seem that the species on this world build their armor for speed, not protection. That means that they leave a good number of their body parts exposed and build their armor to only protect from light ranged attacks. Anything else would just weigh them down too much."

"Well, if that's all, we should most likely rejoin our friends." Harvey looked out the window as he saw the moon slowly coming up the horizon. "I assume dinner should be served quite soon."


The griffon had been woken up from his nap by the sound of a pony running through the woods. He carefully moved from tree to tree as he noticed a pink pony confusedly walking the woods, muttering something about a 'pinkie sense' and a 'new guest in town'. He paid it no mind, however, but quickly continued on his progress before finding the entrance to the cave network at the base of the mountain.

Bringing along a light-sphere from home, he navigated the tunnels in his small circle of light, carefully following the map and stopping for rest every now and then. It was eerily quiet within the caverns since he was avoiding all the royal guard tunnels and caves, and he found it maddening that he couldn't keep track of the time. Before long, however, he'd made it all the way near the top, and exited the cave behind a wall of trees and bushes, right outside the city of Canterlot.

Forget getting into the castle, he had to get into the city first. And there was a rather substantial problem with that: there were guards at the gates, as well as those manning the watchtowers. He couldn't sneak in by the road or fly above the walls. And unfortunately, he didn't have something that his father cooked up this time around... This would require some creativity. Scanning the edge of the castle, he noticed a small river flowing nearby with a small grate next to it, leading into the city.

He balked at the notion of having to swim through a tunnel just to get into a city, but it had to be done. He simply could not be found by the guards. So with another gulp, he began for the grating. The bars were narrow, but he was young, and he could squeeze himself in with a little... well, a lot of effort. He was actually lucky that it didn't tear off his travel bags while he attempted to pass through.

He carefully chose his exit and found himself crawling out of a sewer hole in some random alley in the expansive city. Quietly sliding the cover closed with as little noise as possible, he looked to his map of his plans to sneak into the castle. It was thankfully on cloth, emblazoned in with fire and ash so it wouldn't fade if it happened to end up in water. His father was always organized like that, planning for eventualities like this.

He carefully looked around the outside of the alley, devoid of ponies, before making his way to the western wall. It was the one closest to Celestia's tower, and his point of entry. He just hoped that there weren't any ponies around to spot him, or any guard who deviated from their patrol route that night...


Sky Watch wasn't particularly amused at being stuck with guard duty that night as he patrolled the gardens in the castle's western courtyard. In fact, following the death of his former guardmates, he'd been particularly unstable and somewhat sad, despite Captain Shining's initial attempts to cheer him up. If those griffons were really trying to do something that put Equestria and the Princesses at risk, he'd cut them down without a single thought. He could feel his blood boil as the rage coursed through his body, his face torn with anger.

He sat below a tree, completely ignoring his patrol. He just wanted to go fight the damn griffons. Being stuck here made him care for... well, nothing, aside from guarding the Princesses. He wanted to avenge his comrades, his brothers-in-arms, and if that letter was anything to go by, the griffons were up to no good. He also had the dying urge to just spit out what he had found to the other guards, since not even the Night Guard with Princess Luna were even aware about this.

Stuck in thought, he was brought out of his stupor as he saw a small figure daintily float above the walls and drift into the castle grounds, before it flew underneath the southwest guard tower's balcony, avoiding the gaze of the unicorn guard that sat on top. Watch couldn't believe what he was seeing, and angrily pulled out his crossbow.

He recognized the profile of the being. It was one that he drilled into his head after the mission had long since been over.

It was a griffon.

And it was sneaking into the castle grounds... and it was trying to fly towards Princess Celestia's tower! Undoubtedly to launch an assassination against her! He had to act! Warn Captain Shining and the other guards! Arming his crossbow with a click, he began to run for the castle entrances, shouting at the guards that an intruder was just spotted.

This wasn't going to happen on his watch. This sucker was going to pay.


The Ghosts were enjoying their dinner in their quarters when the door slammed open.

"Quickly! A griffon's been spotted near the Princess's chambers!" the royal guard shouted. The Ghosts scrambled to their feet, ignoring their armor as they ran for their MR8s, Raymond slapping on a quiver and throwing his bow over his shoulder. They quickly walked out to the clamor shouts and running guards as they saw dozens of pegasi swarming the skies while the unicorns were marching across the castle grounds, their horns armed with energy.

"This way!" a guard shouted at them, pointing down the halls as a bunch of unicorns ran past him.

"What the hell's going on?" Harvey asked, standing at the entrance of the quarters.

"Stay here, doc, there's trouble around!" Pastor shouted, before looking at the waiting Ghosts. "Anvil, get a move on! To the tower!" The other three ran off as Pastor took his left hand off his rifle and put it on the doc's shoulder. "Stay here, doc, we can't risk you getting hurt."

"But I--"

"No exceptions, sir." Pastor closed the door and turned to see Shining in battle armor, running down the hall. "Sir!"

"Ah, Lieutenant Pastor. Sorry, we haven't met before, but your Captain spoke of you. Let's not keep everypony else waiting," he said, as they ran together towards the western side of the castle.

"What's going on?" Pastor shouted.

"An intruder! I was told that it was a griffon!" Shining shouted back.

"A griffon?! Are they trying something already?"

"We don't know for certain!" They rounded a corner and out an entranceway to see a huge group of pegasi swarming the skies above Celestia's tower. "All I know was that the alert was called in and the guards scrambled from the barracks!"

"What if this is a diversion? What if they're after Princess Luna?"

"Not possible!" Shining said. "Both of them were in Celestia's tower together tonight. All the guards are notified whenever they'll be somewhere, and they let me know beforehoof, so I'm pretty sure both of them are up there!"

They ran through the courtyard as the royal guards were taking up defensive positions outside the tower. Several of them made chokepoints up the stairs as Shining and Pastor made their way up.

"That's some quick work you guys do..." Pastor said.

"The training has to come in some use, right?" Shining laughed. "Captain of the Royal Guard coming through! Make way!" They climbed the circular stairway as some of the pegasi broke into formations and began to quickly survey the rest of the castle grounds, making sure there weren't any other intruders. They found the rest of the Ghosts standing at the top of the stairs, the closed doors barred by the spears of two unicorn guards.

"Come on, we have to make sure she's safe," Mendoza said.

"No can do. You're armed."

"Well, we're part of the royal guards, aren't we?" Talbot asked.

"I didn't get that memo yet, nor did I see you three have an initiation ceremony."

"Aw, come on, you have to--" Mendoza began, before they heard the sound of Shining coming up the steps.

"They're with me. Let us in," Shining said. "And they are officially part of the Royal Guards, and I won't be explaining it again. Understand, sergeant?"

"Understood, sir," the left unicorn said, as the two guards drew away their spears. "You're free to enter."

"Thank you," Shining said, before they entered the chambers.


The sight inside was something to behold. Directly in front of Princess Celestia's balcony window stood a griffon in tattered clothes, against the wall, and claws held up in the air. In front of him was an angry Sky Watch, pointing his crossbow directly at him. And behind Watch stood the Princesses, watching the scene with cool attentiveness.

Shining and the Ghosts quickly fanned into the room and spotted the target, immediately drawing the sights of their weapons, and Shining's magic, directly at the creature up against the wall.

"Permission to terminate, Your Majesty," Watch said.

"Permission denied, Lieutenant," Luna said. "Stand down immediately."

Watch continued to hold his gaze and weapon for a moment, until he wordlessly followed the order. He put away his crossbow, but his focus never left the griffon, and neither did his scowl. He slowly backed off to the corner of the room, but his magic was still active, ready to draw and fire his weapon if necessary. The order didn't apply to the Ghosts nor Shining, however, and their aim was still focused on the frightened young griffon.

"Now, then..." Celestia said, looking at the griffon. "Explain why you are here."