• Published 9th Sep 2014
  • 2,732 Views, 113 Comments

On to a New Plane - random reader



Sequel to my previous story "The Sphere". Twilight reaches the new world, and it wasn't what she was expecting. Not by a long shot.

  • ...
5
 113
 2,732

On to the Surface

Princess Celestia just stood there for a moment, staring at the tall, bipedal creature. It had two arms, ending in claws, each with 5 slender digits. The face was much flatter than a pony’s face, with a small nose jutting out from the center. The eyes were small, and there was a short mane coming out of the top of the head.

It was currently frozen with one claw reached near its waist, and was staring right at her. Deciding to quickly take the most peaceful course of action before the creature made its move, she spoke to it.

“Hello there, my name is Princess Celestia. While you aren’t what I was expecting, I hope that you can at least understand me.”

The creature gave a start, seeming to come to some sort of decision. It opened its mouth, and with a distinctly male voice, he spoke in a language that Princess Celestia could not recognize.

“Well, this complicates things.” Celestia thought, “Not that they weren’t complicated already, but how do I convince him to wait here until the portal opens again?”

Princess Celestia knew a translation spell that may solve this problem, but if these creatures, no, people were untouched by magic the same way that matter from their world was, then this would take a lot longer than she had first thought.

Suddenly, the tall biped reached towards his waist, and withdrew an oddly shaped black thing. It was roughly rectangular in shape, with a small black pole coming out of one side. Celestia watched as he pushed down a button on the thing, and spoke more of his language.

Celestia had to keep herself from stumbling in surprise as she heard more of the strange words being spoken. But instead of the creature in front of her speaking, the words were coming out of the black object he now held.

“How? How does that happen? Is it some sort of non-magical teleportation of sound waves?” asked Celestia, forgetting that he could not understand her.

The creature just shook his head, and tried to gesture with his claws by pointing at her, than at himself, then to the tunnel leading upwards to the surface.

Celestia watched as he repeated the gesture two more times.

“Does he want me to go up to the surface with him?” Celestia thought.

Deciding to follow this entity, seeing what he had in store, but very conscious that she no longer had her magic, Celestia stepped out of the portal’s radius, and followed the strange biped, as he began to walk backwards towards the mouth of the tunnel, always keeping one eye on her.

“Surprisingly good balance, for someone without a tail to walk backwards like that.” thought Celestia as she followed him up the tunnel.


“I would kill for a cup of coffee right about now.” Judith though as she leaned against the door of her cruiser. Suddenly, she heard her partner’s voice come out of the walkie-talkie she was wearing.

“Listen Jud,” she heard James’s voice coming from the speaker as she fumbled to get the device off her belt, “there is someone down here I’m bringing up for questioning. Be ready for when we emerge. ETA will be 8 minutes.”

“Uh, roger that, sir. We’ll be ready for whoever you’re bringing up. Ove-“ Before Judith could even finish her sentence, the signal cut out.

“Okay, something’s up. James and I may be close partners, but he at least waits to check if I’m listening before giving me instructions.” thought Judith as she put the device back on her belt.

She turned to the other two officers who were directing traffic.

“Hey you two, we’ve found someone to take in. Looks like our work here is almost done.” She called out.

The other two still looked bored as they continued to point and gesture to the drivers passing by. For a while, Judith just stood there, waiting. Then, she spotted her friend and partner, James, climb out of the hole.

“James, you’re back! But where’s the person you found? You said you found someone down there.” Judith looked her partner over, and saw that he was looking stressed, more stressed than usual. “Uh, are you alright? The person you found didn’t cause any trouble, did they?”

“No, nothing like that. And it’s a she, Judith. I’ve managed to tell her to wait near the opening until I went back for her.”

“Managed to? You mean she doesn’t speak English? Where’s she from?”

James let out a long sigh. “She’s… not from around here. That’s all I know about her origins. What’s important now is that when I bring her up, you must keep the traffic moving. Got it?”

“James, you’re starting to scare me. There wasn’t anything dangerous on this person, was there?”

“No, I mean, I don’t think so. Just don’t let any of the cars block traffic when people try to stop to stare.”


Princess Celestia was waiting near the opening to the surface. She could smell the fresh air of the new world fill her up, and while it smelled slightly different than the Equestrian air she was used to, it was still far more pleasant than that bottled air in the cavern She could also hear bizarre sounds filtering down into the tunnel, but the sources of the noises eluded her knowledge.

“Hmm, I wonder what he’s doing up there.” thought Celestia as she sat near the surprisingly well crafted water pipe that ran through the walls of the tunnel.

Suddenly, she saw the same person who she had seen before appear at the mouth of the tunnel, and make a waving gesture with his claw. While she wasn’t too familiar with these people’s body language yet, she recognized the signal that she was to come up and out of the tunnel now.

As Celestia stepped out, she saw that she was in a grassy field, next to a long stone structure, upon which dozens of the metal beasts that Twilight had described were rolling by. Before she could make a guess as to what the things were, she saw more bipedal creatures staring at her. They to, were wearing blue clothing, and had several devices strapped to their waists.

Celestia noticed that the one she had first met yelled something at the two who were standing upon the stone structure, gawking at her, who then quickly turned their backs, and began gesturing to the rolling metal beasts.

Before she could think of what all of this meant, the male creature pointed at her, then walked over to another metal wheeled thing, and opened it.

“So they are not life forms, but some kind of machine.” realized Celestia as she saw him point inside of it, where what looked like a soft bench could be seen inside.