• Published 9th Sep 2014
  • 2,732 Views, 113 Comments

On to a New Plane - random reader



Sequel to my previous story "The Sphere". Twilight reaches the new world, and it wasn't what she was expecting. Not by a long shot.

  • ...
5
 113
 2,732

Breakthrough

Twilight just stood in the tunnel, staring at the improbable piece of modern plumbing. It felt like hours that she just stood there, when it was really only a few minutes.

“So, are we going to dig around this thing, or what?” asked one of the miners, startling Twilight.

“Oh, um, maybe you should wait to do that. We need, uh, some more help up here to break through this soil.” stammered Twilight, trying to stall for time while she put her thoughts in order.

“What are you talking about? We’re almost finished here. Let’s just get through to the surface, and then we can go back to Equestria to get back our magic, and collect our paycheck.”

“No!” yelled Twilight, startling the group behind her. “I mean, do you know what this means? There is a civilization up there! And judging by the metalwork of this pipe, these ponies have a lot of good craftsponies among them.”

Twilight studied the symbols painted on to the metal once more.

“It’s some sort of code.” thought Twilight. “Either that or they speak an unknown language.”

“Enough stalling, I’m going through.” said one of the diggers behind her, suddenly pushing his way past Twilight.

Twilight watched as the team began using their shovels to continue scooping out the soil, and moving it back down the tunnel. It took only about 15 minutes, since they were so close to the surface, and eventually, a shovel broke through to the surface, allowing sunlight to spill down into the hole.

“Ahh, finally, some fresh air.” said the miner, as he put down his shovel to gaze up at the new sky.

“Let me see!” exclaimed Twilight as she pushed the stallion out of the way to look through the opening.

Well, it looked like a normal sky, alright. It was blue, there were come stray clouds that dotted the scene, and Twilight could hear strange noises coming from off in the distance.

“Could you maybe make the hole a bit bigger, so that we can actually get out of this cave?” asked Twilight.

“Our contract said we had to just dig until we hit the surface, and that is exactly what we did. Sorry Princess Twilight, but you’re on your own from here.” And with that, the miners began plodding back down the tunnel, back to the gateway, leaving their shovels behind.

“Well that wasn’t very polite.” thought Twilight. “No matter, I can easily dig this out myself.” Twilight grabbed the nearby shovel in her hooves, and began scrapping away at the top soil of the alien world. Once the hole was big enough, she decided she could risk poking her head out of the hole to get a better view.


Allen felt like he was nodding off as he drove down the freeway. He had long since silenced the radio, as nothing good was on this time of day.

“I bet Jeffery is going to finally get his promotion today.” he thought as he looked down the road.

As there were virtually no trees on this route, any driver could see a long way down the road, at least until their vision was cut off by the hills that occasionally jutted up into the landscape. As Allen drove by, he spotted a hole down the road, and a strange purple thing poking out of it.

“What the hell?” thought Allen, but with a start, he realized that cars had stopped in front of him to get a look at what was going on. Allen quickly down shifted to gear 2, and slowed the car as much as he safely could. Even though he knew it was rubbernecking, Allen steered the car to the side of the highway, and stopped on the breakdown lane.

Allen noticed that nobody had gotten out of their cars to look at the creature who had its head poking out of the ground, and was looking around frantically from car to car. Then again, it was also safer to look at this thing from the car window.

Allen, realizing that nobody would believe him about this if he told anyone at work why he was late, quickly whipped out his iPhone and turned on the recording app. He couldn’t see through the windows of the other cars around him, but he bet that everyone else was doing the same.

Taking a closer look, Allen noticed that whatever it was had large milky eyes, a pale purple coat, and what looked like a horn jutting from the forehead. Then, as it turned its head, he noticed that it also had a short muzzle on its face. Before Allen could get out of his car to approach the creature, it quickly ducked its head back underneath the hole in the soil.

Allen got out of his car, noticing that some of the other people were doing the same. The small mob began to approach the hole, when the blast of sirens met their ears and flashing red and blue met their vision. Allen turned his head, and saw that a police car had pulled up, noticing the crowd of cars parked here.

“What’s all this about?” shouted the cop. “Has there been an accident?” He looked around the scene, and saw that every car parked was undamaged.

“Sir, you aren’t going to believe this,” said one of the bystanders, “but a weird looking giant purple mole thing with a horn came out of the ground right here.” he said, gesturing to the hole in the ground.

“Oh really?” replied the cop, looking skeptical. “And did this purple horned mole try to employ psychokinetic mind control over you, making you feel like you needed a cap made of foil?”

Allen was getting angry at this point. He had known paranoid schizophrenics in his life, and their condition was no joking matter. Allen stepped out of the crowd and addressed the police officer.

“Hey! He didn’t make believe the whole thing, because I saw it too! Not only that, but I’ve got a video of it on this!” he said, holding up his iPhone.

“Okay then. What’s your name?” asked the cop, now looking at Allen.

“It’s Allen Mizner.”

“Okay then Allen. I’ll play along. Why don’t you show me this video of yours?” asked the cop, starting to look smug.

Allen opened the video on his iPhone, and handed it to the police officer. As he watched the recorded footage, the cop’s expression became increasingly incredulous.

When all 90 seconds of the footage was over, the cop raised his voice, and addressed the crowd.

“Uhh, has anyone else gotten a recording of this as well?” he asked shakily.

Five more people raised their own iPhones into the air.

Author's Note:

Sorry this is a little late. I'll try to keep to my usual schedule, but my college courses are interfering with my writing.