• Published 14th Sep 2014
  • 2,341 Views, 84 Comments

Confession of a Soul Mage - SoothingCoffee



Follow as an unwitting mage transported into a world where he will suffer through heroic deeds, morally questionable deeds, and bad decisions.

  • ...
16
 84
 2,341

Chappie 3

Exhaustion.

The bane of all existence. Where your body feels like a wall of brick, and every step is a chore. Where a single second of exertion is enough to make you doze off, and where using magic would, most definitely, cripple you, or worse, kill you.

That is what I was feeling. And it seemed normal, considering what happened last night. Running around like a headless chicken, albeit an intelligent headless chicken. Mana exhaustion from using too much magic, especially the soul manipulating kind. Considering that it was highly unstable… I was lucky it didn’t explode on me. Then there’s the fact that I didn’t sleep for fear that predators would prey on me while I sleep.

Did I say I hate forests?

It didn’t help that I was limping in the forest, and it was either my luck or the forest deciding that I had enough, that there weren’t any predators attacking me. Considering my luck, I’m betting on the latter. I was tempted to drink a mana potion, but as tempting as it was, I only have one left. I still could cast a few precise fireballs or iceballs, if necessary...probably. And I wasn’t sure if I could run without slipping on the dirt.

The worried eyes from Nero and Ruby didn’t escape me, and thankfully, Nero was kind enough to get off of me and started walking beside me. At least it would burn some of her fat.

Breakfast was good enough of a boost… for two hours. It was also tempting to just lean against a tree and sleep. But common sense said, no, that’s stupid.

Shaking my head to dust away the incoming wave of tiredness, I stared ahead, only to find an endless sea of trees, bushes, flowers, and other greens. I held back another yawn as a patch of blue flowers caught my eye, tempting me to sleep on them. Shaking my head, I ignored my internal battle and continued onward. I’ve been in much worse situations and I’ll be damned if I passed out in this damned forest.

“Maybe we should rest,” Ruby suggested for the umpteenth time, and I could feel Nero agreeing through our mental link.

I shook my head, “No,” I said, almost numbly. It was touching that someone I just met would suggest that to me, albeit I did save her from a fate worse than death. “I can still walk…” I yawned, “until we get into an inn or so…”

It was a tempting offer, really. But the situation didn’t allow it, and I don’t trust this damned forest.

A warm bed set up on a wooden floor, a soft mattress lay on the wooden structure, and pillows settled on them…

I shook my head again. I really needed to stop thinking about… bed. It’s detrimental in my own situation, considering I was still walking and my only helpers are a cat and a cursed, child ghost.

Looking ahead once more, I stopped. Blinking rapidly and rubbing my eyes to make sure that I wasn’t dreaming nor was I hallucinating.

A grin broke onto my face. There, a few yards away, was a motherfucking light, or rather, the end of the forest. I pointed at it, almost shakily, “We’re going to get the fuck out of this forest! We’re going to get the fuck out of this forest!” I shouted, borderline manic. Each step became faster as I approached the damn end of the forest.

“We will survive!” I shouted again as I was only a few feet away, and the fast walk became a sprint. “I will survive and I won’t ever go into this fucking forest again!” I shouted again, uncaring of the worried look I got from Nero and Ruby as they followed me.

I laughed when I finally reached the end, and by proxy, outside. The sun shone warmly on the blue sky, and I let out a sigh of happiness. My feet lost their strength and I dropped to my knees, splaying my arms open like a fanatic of nature who was welcoming his god. And promptly dropped face first on the soft green grass.

The last thing I heard was the panicked shout of Ruby, and the feeling of frustration mixed with worry in the back of my head, courtesy of a certain black familiar. Before unconsciousness took me faster than the mate of a vampire kidnapped me after I killed said vampire.

(*)(*)(*)

I was woken up from my fitful, and well deserved rest by the increasingly annoying beeping sound over my comfy… bed? I quickly opened my eyes, expecting something. That something wasn’t what I was expecting when that something was a pair of floating bright yellow orbs.

I also noted the slight pressure on my stomach moved up until I could get a view of my familiar’s head looking at me with an annoyed and slightly concerned look. It was then that I remembered how I… took my rest, and that the pair of floating orbs were Ruby’s eyes.

“In my defense,” I said, looking faux-offended by their looks, “I hate forests… especially a living sentient forest of doom.”

Nero rolled her eyes, affirming that yes, I was alright. “Yes, you’re magically, physically, and mentally exhausted. It’s a miracle you didn’t pass out…” she then looked at me, a small fear entered her golden-slitted eyes, “Don’t do that again.”

I smiled wryly, “Yes, yes.” then I rolled my eyes, “Though, I thought I was the one who should do the ordering.”

She huffed, turning back her abode, namely on my stomach, just after she flicked her tail across my face. And the familiar pressure came back as she snuggled herself closer to my stomach, and ergo, my already tattered robe.

I briefly frowned. I’m going to need to buy a new one…

“Yes, yes you do,” Nero snorted through our mental link, “it’s getting uncomfortable.”

I rolled my eyes in good humor and lay my hand onto her head, scratching the back of her ears as she snuggled closer to my hand.

Looking back to my newest companion, who was staring at the whole conversation with a look that said, ‘What just happened?’

“I just talked to her. Nothing really life changing.” Yet. God knows when she’ll have her next heat week; last time, she had raped a random male cat, (thankfully healthy) out of nowhere and then spent the next day crying to me, about how awful of a familiar and a cat she was. It’s a good thing that the male cat was enjoying it.

Ruby’s head snapped to me as she broke from her stupor, staring at me strangely. “How-“

“It’s written on your face.”

She scrunched her face, adorably so, I might add. “But-“

“Seriously, it’s really easy to read you ponies’ emotions. And I’m a soul magus, it’s practically in the job description, so don’t ask it.” That, and last nights manipulation was a success, albeit unstable, so I also need more control over it it.

She sighed and hung her head dejectedly. “Fine.” She groaned out.

She squawked in surprise as I wrapped my hand around her weightless body and hugged the fuck out of her. “God, you’re soft.” And strangely warm if you ignore the passing chill every now and then. “Relax, Ruby. You may be older than I am, but you’re still a kid. So it’s okay if you don’t know about many things.”

She struggled uselessly under her confinement, before sagging in defeat. “I don’t even know what you’re talking about.”

I patted her head and chuckled, “Silly Ruby. Of course you don’t know, you’re still young; albeit older than me young.”

She groaned but stayed within her confinement like the warmth addict she is.

It was then that I noticed the room I was in. I really didn’t care that much, since my familiar was napping rather comfortably on my stomach, so that means wherever I was, it was safe. The room I was in, in short, was white. At least the ceiling and the floor was. The walls were covered with green wallpapers with pictures of various flowers on it. There was also the distinct scent of alcohol in the room.

So either I was kidnapped into some madman’s (or stallion, or mare… whatever) lab and ready to be dissected and kept as a sex slave. Or I was found by a nice pony, and taken to a hospital of some sort. Looking at how comfortable Ruby and Nero were, I put ten coins to the latter.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, it was by that time that the door opened, revealing a pony with a clean white coat and pink mane tied in a bun. On her head was a nurse cap with a picture of a medical cross, with tiny little hearts on each corner. It was also the same picture on her mark.

She promptly dropped the clipboard in her mouth as she went slack-jawed. Staring at me in all my glory, hugging an invisible ghost with a black cat on my stomach, who opened her right eye at the visitor before closing them again, huffing.

We looked at each other in silence, and in that time, Ruby struggled to escape from her confinement, much to my amusement. Finally I let her escape as I stopped furiously hugging the shit out of the air, and lay my hands to my side.

“Well then,” I said, “are you going to stand there forever?”

Miss White Nurse, as per her new nickname, shook her head and closed her jaw and SOMEHOW flipped the clipboard she dropped onto her hoof before holding it with her mouth. She walked in, closed the door, and stood by the side of my newest bed.

She spat the clipboard back to her right fore-hoof, somehow managing to balance it, and somehow managed not to leave any spit from her mouth. She read it for a while before looking back at me.

“Well, Mister…”

“Psyche, just call me Psyche,” I answered, pausing, “Goddess of Soul.”

For the second time of the day, the nurse went slack-jawed, though the clipboard was still balanced on her hoof. It’s either these ponies have sticky hooves, or they’re just that balanced. Of course, there’s the simple answer being: magic. Like how a vampire could breed when they, by all rights, were already dead. Of course, when I asked one vampire girl who kidnapped me, she just answered it with, “Magic.” All the while staring at me like a clueless idiot.

“Only in name of course,” I added, chuckling, and by the look I got from her, she wasn’t amused.

“Very funny.” She grumbled, before clearing he throat, “Well, Mr. Psyche, we found you by the edge of the Everfree forest. You’re lucky your cat,” she nodded to Nero who was still napping, “searched for help, and you’re lucky that said help was, Ms. Fluttershy.” She paused, giving me a look. “Anyway, you’re fine, not that we know, since we don’t even know what you are-“

“Human.”

She cocked an eyebrow, “Pardon?”

I rolled my eyes, sighing, “You know, little old me, a human, otherwise known as Homo Sapien if you want it fancy.” Like most upper-living mages, like my high-expectant-abusive father who gave me a 1001 pages book about magic history for my birthday rather than other toys that normal kids (even mages) would get. Bashing bullies with it was fun, though.

“Oh.” She then shook her head, “Anyway, you’re good to go. When you’re ready you can call for me by pressing this button,” she pointed at the red round button on the nightstand, a picture of a nurse cap on it. Lying next to the button was my brown shoulder bag, leaning against the wall, and something brown sticking out from it.

I nodded, deciding to see my bag later after the nurse was out, and then I remembered something. “Wait, can I stay here for a day? I’ll pay you…” I trailed off as the nurse’s blue eyes narrowed at me.

“Mr. Psyche, this is a hospital, a place for sick ponies… or you, in this case, to get treated, and since you’re healthy, you can’t stay here, unless you have a good reason.” She said sternly, then she smiled pleasantly at me “Now, I will get out of your mane, so that you can get ready, and call me when you’re ready to get out.”

She walked to the door, stopping herself as she reached the threshold and turned back to me, her smile still there. “Oh, my name’s Nurse Redheart, by the way.” Then she was out, closing the door shut as she did so.

I blinked, and then turned to Ruby, “Man, you ponies are weird.”

Ignoring her shout of indignation, I poked my napping familiar, waking her as she glared at me, “What?”

“Get up, I need to get out of the bed.” she followed my instruction, if grumbling a bit as she jumped to the floor with the flexibility of a cat. Sitting up, I turned to the side, letting my legs fall to the cold floor. I noticed my shoes were inches away from my feet.

Shrugging, I stood up and stretched my body, eliciting pops and cracks from my bones. That done, I grabbed my bag and sat down to the bed again, “So, how long was I asleep?”

“A day,” Nero answered as she jumped from the floor onto my lap, “And you’re still tired…” she pointed out.

I shrugged, could be worse. Picking up the object that was poking out of my bag, it was a book. Remembering the book I got from my ex-client, I pondered if I could go back, but considering my fate thus far, it was unlikely. “Thank you by the way,” I said, smiling slightly as I softly rubbed her back, eliciting purrs of contentment, “Told you, you weren’t useless.”

“So what’s that book?” Ruby asked from my back, her head on my shoulder as she watched the book in my free hand.

“I got it from my ex-client before I got here, before I reached that gate.” I turned the book around, so its front could face me. Then I paused. There’s something different about the book from before, it now has a title.


‘Human Guide to Equestria, and the Lands Around It.’


My eye twitched. There in front of me, in my hand, was a guidebook for humans to this ‘Equestria’ which was probably where these ponies live. And I got this guidebook from that man.

Gods. There are reasons why I hate gods, good reasons too. They’re a bunch of immortals, divided by regions, staying in another plane, having absolute control for certain things. Cupid, who controls the very aspect love, and what entails it, then Zeus, he who controls the sky. Of course, when you’re immortals, you get easily bored. That’s when they would pick a random unlucky guy to play with. It’s basically the curse of the gods.

There was a reason why I ran east, to the land of rising sun. Not only that the Imperials were basically banned there, it’s also because their gods aren’t dicks who pick random guys for their own amusement. I had heard from wanderers that the gods in the east converse with their worshippers. So it was great.

And it didn’t take a genius to know why I was here, in a possibly foreign land, or an entirely different dimension full of new races.

I was cursed.

It wasn’t a job went wrong that led me here. No. I was tricked, possibly by a servant of a god, or some mischievous spirit that decided I would be the best sacrifice for the gods.

The thought that a random spirit did it for the laugh crossed my mind once, but I quickly shook it. What kind of spirit would do that?

I was on the verge of ripping the book to shreds, screaming and shouting profanities to the gods who were, possibly, watching and giggling like a bitch. I wanted to just go back to the forest, and burn it down for the sake of relieving my stress. Heck, the thought of burning this hospital crossed my mind once.

Instead, I took a good deep breath, extinguishing my rage-fueled stupor. There’s a child in here, albeit a ghost, but a child nonetheless. There’s also the fact that I don’t want to be viewed as dangerous by these ponies.

God knows I don’t need everyone chasing me again.

Snapping to attention, I noticed Nero was staring at me awake in confusion. Sighing once more, I put up a mirthless smile and turned the book so that she could see it. Her eyes widened as she read the title, no question that she was connecting the dots already. After all, you don’t become the familiar of a mage without learning what the mage learned.

In the end, she just sighed in resignation. “I… see.” She said, slumping in defeat.

“What’s wrong?” Ruby asked from behind me, oblivious of my newly accursed affliction. “Isn’t that a good thing? You have a guidebook!”

I coughed in my hand, “Yes, yes it is.” I said, calming the chaotic turmoil within me and my mind, courtesy of Nero. Standing up, I stretched my body, groaning as my tired bones popped and cracked. Giving my neck another turn, I turned to Ruby, “Maybe we should find an inn first… let’s just hope they accept gold.” I muttered the last part.

Slinging my bag over my shoulder, I put my book in and pressed the red button, and then I waited.

It didn’t take long as the door was swung open by Nurse Redheart, smiling in all her naked glory. Do these ponies even have clothes? I mused silently.

“Well, then Mr. Psyche, let’s go.” Redheart beckoned, walking away. I just nodded and followed her.

We walked silently through the hall. It was quiet, and peaceful, though there’s that distinct artificial scent waving around the building. The only sound was the clip-clop of my guide, and the occasional stare I got from the ponies around.

She stopped when we arrived in some sort of a lounge, walking behind a large desk, opposite of the exit door. She rifled through papers as I rested my arms on the desk, yawning quietly.

“Just fill the paper,” she said, sliding a piece of paper and a quill to me. Shrugging, I scanned the paper, and began to fill them. Leaving some of them blank, because I can, and using Psyche instead of my real name.

I gave the quill and the paper back to the nurse after I was done. Taking it, she stared at it for a moment before nodding her head with a smile. “Good, now you’re good to go.”

I gave her a tired smile in return. “Okay, but before I go, are there any inns in here?” I asked.

She gave her chin a few thoughtful taps, the epitome of adorableness I should say, and then said, “Well, there’s only one inn in the town since we rarely have any visitors. A different matter if you’re searching for a hotel. Just walk straight to the left and then turn right, you’ll find the inn… I think it’s called Marinn,” she shrugged, “Never been there, actually.”

I gave her a nod, “Well, it’s all I could ask for. Thank you Nurse Redheart.”

She grinned, “Always happy to help.” And with that, I walked through the door. Ignoring the weird looks I got from the ponies.

I blinked as the sun’s blindingly bright light struck me without mercy, looking up; I guessed it was around noon. Looking around the buildings, I followed the directions the kind mare gave me. The town reminded me of small farmer town I had once visited in my running from the bounty hunters, mages, and Imperials, except this one was more colorful, moreso with ponies strewn about, staring at me strangely.

It was also where I first had a coitus with an undead, the slave of a vampire that I had just killed.

She was just an unfortunate maiden in the wrong place at the wrong time. Caught the eyes of a vampire, whence she was forcefully turned. She found it appropriate that pleasure was the perfect gift for me. In the end, I killed her, per her request- no. It wasn’t a request, she was begging for it. She begged me to kill her, to end her suffering, and curse. She was scared. And in the end, I gave her a quick painless death, a blade to the heart as she slept.

She was cursed to be a vampire, and just like her, I’m cursed to be the play-toy of the gods.

“HEY-“

I snapped back to reality, in front of me was the most heinous creature I had seen. It was pink, full of pink. Before my mind could register it as harmless, my body reacted with a neck-chop. The pink menace went slack like a puppet cut of its strings.

I took a deep breath, eyes wide as I tried to lessen the beating of my heart. I stared at the pink menace; it was a pony with a curly mane. Gulping another breath of air, I looked around. Only to see ponies of all kinds staring at me, wide eyes full of shock and fear.

Taking another gulp of air, I cleared my throat, pointing my index finger to the unconscious pony. “She’s okay.” I said, ignoring Nero’s face-paw and her fastened breathings, as well as Ruby’s.

Then, with a scream of terror from one pony in the crowd, all hell broke loose.

(*)(*)(*)

“So you’re saying that she was suddenly shouting in front of your face and then you ‘instinctively’ attacked her, or in your word, ‘defended’ yourself?” The pony in front of me asked for the umpteenth time, his face set into a scowl.

I just dug my face deeper into my hands and groaned. The abusive husband in my head came back with vengeance as he evolved into a gay vampire who continuously giving me bad touches around my head.

“Yes, Max Grill. For the umpteenth time I’ve said this. I defended myself because she suddenly shouted in front of my face.”

My ever so loyal familiar had decided to take a nap from this bullshit on the table. The dimmed lantern, of some sort, only provided a little light. The stallion in front of me, an equivalent of a guard, named Max Grill, frowned.

“Yeah, that seems unlikely. So you knock her out because she suddenly shouted in front of you? And I’m supposed to believe you?” He raised an eyebrow with his never changing scowl.

Ruby floated around me lazily, staring emptily at the ceiling. It had been fucking two hours of the pony in front of me questioning me repeatedly and accusing me as a criminal more than once. Needless, to say, it was getting annoying. I was on the verge of just freezing the stallion, sleep, then unfreeze him after I was fully rested. After I cut his tongue out that is.

Instead, I groaned again, “Yes, Max Grill. You’re supposed to be fucking believe me because I’m telling the fucking truth, damnit.”

He glared at me, “You’re not helping yourself, Human, or whatever you’re really called.”

I threw my arms up, “Oh, for fuck’s sake!” I shouted, my glare drilling holes into his head “Can’t you just bring that pink pony here and ask her yourself!?”

He slammed his hoof on the table, leaning forward in a way that made him intimidating... in his head, “For what? So you could injure her more? So knocking her out wasn’t enough, was it? You want more? What kind of a sick creature are you?” He sneered.

By the gods, this pony is stupider than a fucking gay sparkling vampire.

“First,” I said through my gritted teeth, “a neck-chop isn’t painful. Yes, you’ll get a sore neck later, but that’s just it. Second, I’m fucking tired of this shit. I’ve just gotten out of the fucking hospital after exhausting myself in that damnable forest. So gods help me, if you don’t fucking let me out, I will burn you.” I growled.

He smirked, “So threatening me, eh? You’re not helping yourself, ‘Human’.” he spat the last word like a poison.

I sighed, trying to find another way to get me a fucking nap, because you don’t fucking get out of a sentient forest, and recover after a day of rest! And I haven’t fucking eaten anything!

“How about this, officer,” I offered, straining myself from literally grilling him inside out very slowly. “How about you keep me in one of your cells, then let me sleep and rest. And then we can continue talking tomorrow.”

“So you can think more excuses? No.”

“Oh, just let us go already!” Ruby screamed in frustration, throwing her arms up.

Unfortunately, it was only me and Nero who were able to hear it.

It was then that I heard the door swing open behind me. I didn’t bother to turn around. My mind tired from all of this bullshit, the fact that I was recently cursed into the play toy of gods didn’t help either.

Max Grill’s face contorted into an expression of surprise and shock, and promptly he jumped from the chair he had been sitting on and promptly bowed. “P-Princess Celestia!” He stammered, “What are you doing here, if you don’t mind me asking, your majesty?”

Idly, I noticed Ruby doing the same. I guess the princess is the ruler in here.

“Stand up, Max Grill,” I heard the newly arrived say, it sounded like a mother. A proper caring mother, that truly loves her children. Briefly I noted the pony did so. “I’m just here to take our guest here.”

His eyes widened comically at her statement, “But, your majesty—“He never got the chance to finish his sentence as he was cut off by the newly arrived.

“It’s okay my little pony. I can take care of myself.”

The stallion tentatively nodded, “O-okay your majesty. Please be careful, he’s dangerous.” He warned his ruler. Were I in the mood, I would’ve snorted.

“It’s okay my little pony, and could you wait outside please? I think I need to talk with our guest here.”

The stallion nodded and swiftly exited the door, though I could feel a quick glare to the back of my head before he’s completely gone.

It was at this time that I turned around, focusing on my— probably— savior. She-- if I hadn’t gone deaf-- was a winged unicorn, her height was almost as tall as me, probably only a few inches shorter than me. Her pure white coat seemed to be radiating warm light in the dimmed room. Her long pastel-colored mane floated in the non-existent wind, covering her left eye. Purple eyes stared at me with small curiosity, and there were plenty of wisdom, earned by experience hidden behind said curiosity. Briefly, I took a quick glance to her ass, finding a picture of sun.

For a second, I thought she was a god, but quickly dismissed it. A god doesn’t walk among the mortals. Immortals, maybe. But never mortals. She’s probably just an immortal, and a ruler to boot if I wasn’t deaf and blind at Max Grill’s way of greeting to her.

Her golden shod hooves clinked against the stone floor as she walked closer to me. Scanning, identifying, and measuring me. Finally, her eyes fell onto my bag, where she almost halted before staring back to my face.

“Hello,” she greeted me, a genial smile on her face, “Nice to meet you, I’m Princess Celestia, co-ruler of Equestria.”

I blinked tiredly, “Does this mean I can rest?”

She blinked, almost owlishly, caught off guard by my question. Good, at least I still got it. Then she chuckled, “Yes, I suppose so,” the relief in me was squashed like a bug when a mischiveous smirk appeared on her face, ”after a few questions, of course.”

I groaned.