• Published 7th Sep 2014
  • 3,175 Views, 186 Comments

Heat - TLP



A story in which will involve explosions, vehicles, and just pure total mayhem and stuff. Because it's Vietnam. And Vietnam was fucked. So I did this. Because this is fucked.

  • ...
12
 186
 3,175

Chapter 4: Oops.

March 11, 1958 Mars Bluff, South Carolina




Four USAF B-47E Bombers were flying from Hunter Air Force Base in Savannah, Georgia, to England in a top secret mock bombing exercise called "Operation Snow Furry". One of them had the callsign, "Deathwatch 2-4", which had a crew of three and were carrying a Mark 6 nuclear bomb, which was 30 kilotons of pure destruction, and capable of destroying a Soviet city with ease.

"Alright, let's go meet those lobsterbacks in England." Said the bombardier/flight navigator, Captain John Kulka. The pilot and co pilot laughed as they rose the B-47 to 15,000 feet to keep it within the same altitude as the other B-47's. The co-pilot, Lieutenant Rob Striskoy, was checking the gauges and electrical equipment in case there were any malfunctions the engineers from Savannah missed.

"Hey Rob, are all the systems online and working?" Asked the pilot, Captain Toby Henderson. Rob checked again, and gave him a thumbs-up.

"Yep, all systems and electrical equipment are good. Uh.. flares are stocked.... and the bomb bay is clean and ready for use." He said with a smile. "Let's just hope we don't actually have to use it anytime soon.." He thought as he put his attention back to the control board.

After about an hour or so of flying, one of the other B-47 pilots spoke over the radio, in a worried voice.

"Uh, Deathwatch 2-4, be advised, ya got smoke coming out of your number three engine. On the left right side. Recommend you lower your altitude and fly towards a nearby Air Force Base, how copy?".

Rob suddenly went into panic mode. He could've sworn the engines were working just fine an hour ago! He double checked again, and saw that on the overhead, one of the engines was blinking red. He then looked behind him, and saw the engine sputtering out smoke like a chimney, with a couple spits of flame coming out now and then.

"What the hell? You told me the engines were fine an hour ago, Rob!" Said Toby, with the same expression as Rob. The engines the B-47's used were six General Electric J47-GE-25 turbojets, which were new at the time, and had been properly checked and designed by the engineers and scientists both at the factories and at the base.

"Obviously not.." He thought as he tried to shut off the engine before any more damage was done, but the whole plane shook, as the engine exploded into a ball of flames and melting metal. The cockpit lit up a bright red as sirens went off all around.

"Shit! We lost our engine, and we're losing altitude!" Toby said as he tried to level the B-47 so he could find a landing strip, or at least a field, but it was no use. The huge plane started to lose more altitude as it went down slowly head first to the ground below.

"Mayday! Mayday! This is Captain Toby Henderson, USAF, flying a B-47E with a nuclear weapon aboard, number 53-1876A! One of our engines is dead and gone, and we are on a nose dive to the ground!" Rob said through the radio, hoping that someone would get his message, but it was futile, since comms were burned and offline. Rob and Toby tried to eject, but it turns out that the mechanism and wires were also burned and somehow unable to assemble the thrust needed to eject.

"Fuck!! Just fuck everything!" Shouted Rob, who could do nothing but close his eyes and wait for him and his crew's futile demise.

Toby wasn't giving up that easily though, he pulled the control sticks towards him as hard as he could to try to level out the plane, and go for a somewhat smooth landing, but he was afraid that something would cause the nuclear bomb to detonate, and wipe out whatever was below them.

"C'mon, you son of a bitch!!" His mind shouted in anger as he pulled for all he was worth, but his attempts were in vain as they came into full view of a small town below them.

The three airmen yelled as the plane collided, and they were blinded by a bright white flash.





Toby noticed that his vision was slowly returning to him, which made him extremely confused, and afraid. He blinked a couple of times, as he noticed that he was still in the cockpit of the B-47, and were still flying.

"Huh?... what the fuck? We're flying.. and alive! How the hell?" His mind was generating questions at such a rapid pace, that he thought he would pass out again. He looked at the flight panels and mechanisms, noticing that everything was intact, except for comms and the radios. Along with the engines. He then put his eyesight at his co-pilot next to him, who was wide awake, and just as shocked as he was. Rob then turned and looked at Toby with a look of utter confusion.

"Uh.. are we-"

"From the looks of it, no. We're not dead. And I have no idea how we're still flying, and alive." Toby cut him off. Rob then looked at the panels, and noticed that they were flying at 32,000 feet over several clouds, and at a cruising speed of 557 miles per hour.

Rob sighed and leaned against his seat "Thank God the nuke didn't go off or something like tha-" Toby was cut off as a green light lit the cockpit, and a beeping noise was heard. He looked at the panel again and saw three words in green that he thought he would never have to see.

-NUCLEAR WEAPON DROPPED-



John Kulka's P.O.V.



John regained his own vision as he noticed that the plane was stable again, and that he was somehow still alive.

"Ugh.. how? HOW?!" He shouted as he stood up, shaking his head. Then, his mind came up with an even bigger problem.

"Oh shit.. the nuke!" John then ran towards the bomb bay, and saw the Mark 6 nuke, dangling from its locking harness. He then got a box that was filled with 20mm bullets, placed it next to the bomb, and tried to climb up the 10 foot bomb and try to re-harness the bomb, but while climbing up, he tripped and hit the emergency release lever.

"SHIT!" He said as the bomb bay doors below him opened slowly, but the nuke got completely off the harnesses and dropped down to the bomb bay doors, forcing them open. Luckily, he jumped off and landed on his ass before he could fall down with the bomb. He then crawled up to the doors, and saw the 7,600 pounds bomb disappear after penetrating the clouds below.

"Shit, I dropped the damn thing." He thought.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the short chapter and the somewhat long wait, but I am now back and I am working on the next one right now! Next chapter, you guys choose where the nuke will be dropped! After that, we'll be revisiting the Green Berets, and they'll find out that they're not the only humans down there..

*Cough*M-113 APC's*Cough*

Hope you enjoyed!

(This part was heavily based off of a real life incident back in March 11, 1958, where a B-47E Startojet accidentally dropped a Mark 6 nuke near Florence, South Carolina. Should probably put the 'Alternate Universe' tag..)