• Published 6th Sep 2014
  • 1,253 Views, 33 Comments

Settling In - A Wild Magikarp



Sky moves into the new observatory in Ponyville to escape the city lights. A place with clear skies, beautiful scenery... and a population who seems intent on keeping him away from his telescope.

  • ...
2
 33
 1,253

Chapter 3

Author's Note:

A huge thank you to The Great Derpsby for reviewing my work. I appreciate the help man, keep being awesome! /)*(\

Another chapter for ya'll! Hope you enjoy!

And if you guys are starting to get tired of these chapters that don't seem to go anywhere, don't worry, the fun stuff is coming up soon. So, as a favor to you guys who are actually following, (The few in number you may be,) I will give you guys the option. Which, of the cannon characters should Sky meet first upon his arrival to Ponyville? I leave it up to you.

Options:
CMC
Twilight
Applejack
Rarity
Rainbow Dash
Spike
Pinkie Pie

Fluttershy is not on the list because I figured she should probably be introduced by once of the other main six since she wouldn't do it herself, since she is... well... her.
Anyways, till next time!

The morning started on a happier note for Sky than the ones before. He woke up and slammed down on the alarm next to his head, and only grumbled a little as he attempted to rub the sleep from his eyes. Octavia's visit the day before had really helped him with his downtrodden demeanor. While his new outlook did nothing to make him a morning pony, he got out of bed with the only thing he currently hated in life being the alarm clock. And spiders, but that was a constant.

"... And grapefruit... and the cold... and clowns... what was I doing?"

Shaking off his sleep-addled brain's absurd train of thought, Sky found himself in the bathroom, apparently having walked in on auto-pilot. He got to work starting his daily routine, a quick shower, brushing his teeth, a brief combing of his mane to be sure it wasn't TOO messy. A look in the mirror told him that he was ready to start the day.

Now leaving the bathroom, Sky turned the other way and made his way towards the kitchen. Along the way, he passed Selene's cat tree, upon which the cat herself slept. The small feline got up and stretched and let out a large yawn, showing of her canines.

"Morning girl, how went the watch last night?"

"Mreeow..."

"Indeed. Well if that's the case, how about some breakfast, hmm? Tuna perhaps?"

"Meow!"

Sky continued on past the tree and into the kitchen, Selene now in tow. More awake than he was twenty minutes ago thanks to the hot shower, Sky got to thinking on what the day would entitle. 'It was slow going yesterday, what with my little depression episode. Probably be a bit of catching up to do. And then there is whatever was recorded last night of course. That won't be a problem as long as I keep focus. What else? What day is it, Wednesday? Today's the staff meeting! A well, not like they announce anything interesting at those anyways. Not to say it will be boring with our dear Clockwork about. Looks like where running low on eggs...'

Sky continued to go through potential to-do's for the day while he set up for a simple breakfast of eggs, toast, and hay-browns. As the pans heated up, he opened a can of tuna and placed it in a bowl before laying it out for Selene. She rubbed against his leg and purred before turning to her meal.

Sky smiled. That little ball of fur had him wrapped around her paw. She had been a gift to him from his sister Evergreen going on two years ago for his birthday. Evergreen's friends cat had a litter, and Selene was the one that his sister felt would suit him. Reportedly when Evergreen had been choosing one at her friends behest, one kitten in particular had crawled up to her lap, curled up, and purred herself to sleep. The moment that he had lay eyes on her, he had loved that cat. She was the most adorable thing he had ever seen, and he wasn't afraid to admit it. She had taken a liking to him almost immediately, which was strange considering her attitude towards most others, including some of the ponies she saw most often. Still, she was well mannered, never chewed or marked, and was all around the best gift Sky could have ever asked for, except maybe the telescope he had gotten for his seventh birthday. That of course held number one as the best gift ever, as it was the gift that had helped him discover his special talent.

Sky went back to prepping a meal of his own. Eggs scrambled, toast in the toaster, hay-browns on the stove-top. A few minutes later and he was looking upon a work of art. The eggs where a perfect yellow, infused with onion, peppers, and oregano, with a light coat of salt and cheese. They lay next to a beautifully done pile of hay-browns, which where a deep tan color. The toast was a little dark, but it was still good. And of course, the whole meal would be for naught without a large cup of cold orange juice to wash it down. He felt like drooling for a moment before he realized that would be wasting time that he could be spending eating. He got to work cleaning the plate of the 'artwork' he had been admiring moments before.

The beautiful part about Sky's job was the schedule. It was a little erratic at times, due to changing shifts, but he was used to it. And thanks to it, there was occasionally days he had a late start at work, and was able to do things like this. Of course, he still had an alarm set to be sure he didn't sleep ALL day long, and also to be sure that he could do things like this.

He finished his meal and licked his lips, before looking to Selene, who was now making her way back to the living room, most likely to sleep some more. He then turned to the clock. It was 7:30, an hour till he had to be at work. Plenty of time to do... something.

'Well, what to do. I already saw Tav and Clockwork yesterday, and they're both probably working anyways. I could go visit Quick, but he's trying to wrap up that novel of his, and I wouldn't want to intrude on that. Who else... Dad would be at work, but Mom might be home about now. No, wait, she's on call this week, don't want to bother her if she just got of a midnight call or something... Maybe just browse around the market?... Ya, right, who am I, Autumn? Sounds like something she would do. Well horseapples, what now?'

Sky sat in his seat for a while thinking, before finally he stood up and walked over and placed his dishes in the sink for later and headed towards the front door. There was nothing for him here, so if he couldn't come up with anyone to see, or anything to do at home, he might as well head to the observatory early. Maybe take the scenic route, make a pass around the palace or something. The airship docks would be nice and clear right about now. The morning launch was about and hour ago, so nopony would be there other than the staff.

Now that he had a plan on how to waste the next hour or so, he put on his saddlebag and opened the door. The weather was perfect, just a few clouds in the sky, and the temperature was a comfortable, moderate level. He took a deep breath and turned around to look inside.

"See you tonight Selene, watch the house for me!"

"Mreow!" Her owner really needed to stop that, he was starting to worry her. He was such a strange pony. Then again, that was part of the reason she liked him so much. All the others where so boring to listen to. Accept that Clockwork fellow, he was excellent company. Always able to keep up his side of the conversation. When Sky wasn't watching of course. And always the gentlecolt as well, she did love being complimented on her coat.

Sky stepped out and closed the door behind him. He took a moment to appreciate the beautiful day, then wondered if it was in fact the view, or in fact his attitude change that was so different today. 'Well, here we go, first day with a new outlook. Not letting those horrid lights get the better of me.'

He made a turn towards the docks. He had a feeling today was going to be fantastic. He felt happy, a strange, energetic happiness that he felt like spreading. Funny, was this what Clockwork felt like all the time? It would definitely explain the headmaster's eccentric sometimes crazy behavior. He felt his grin widen at the thought. "I wonder what that old stallion has planned for the meeting this week?" With this on his mind, he slowly made his way down the meandering path to work, feeling ready to take on anything today might bring.