• Published 6th Sep 2014
  • 1,243 Views, 33 Comments

Settling In - A Wild Magikarp



Sky moves into the new observatory in Ponyville to escape the city lights. A place with clear skies, beautiful scenery... and a population who seems intent on keeping him away from his telescope.

  • ...
2
 33
 1,243

Chapter 21

Sky grunted as the light of the morning sun hit his face. He couldn't recall exactly what it was he had been working on the night prior, but from how he felt now it was clear he needed more rest. Making a mental note to buy much thicker blinds, He attempted to turn his back to the offending rays.

A powerful ache stopped that notion as he flinched away from his right side, wincing in pain. Opening an eye, Sky was surprised to see not the warm interior of his bedroom, but a cold, sterile white. A scale and a poster showcasing a pony's skeleton could be seen as well. Staring for a moment in confusion, Sky wondered what he was doing sleeping in a hospital.

The morning fog lifted from his mind as he recalled. The move. Apple Bloom and the escape from his new home. The fight in the forest. The monster. Everything snapped into clarity as the shock of fear awoke his sleep-addled mind. He quickly sat upright in his temporary bed, immediately regretting the decision as doing so aggravated both his barrel and his head, drawing moisture to the eyes. But more importantly, Sky noticed a distinct lack of depth perception. His heart rate continued to climb at the implications.

"Whoa! Whoa there partner! Take it easy, your safe now. Everypony is fine, just take it slow."

Sky jolted at the voice, turning to look at its owner and recognizing a familiar face. "... A-Applejack?"

The country mare gave a gentle smile at his response. Standing up from her chain near the window, Applejack made her way to the side of his bed. "How's it going, sugarcube? Feeling alright?"

Sky felt his heart slow at the calming tone she had, starting to relax. He took a deep breath before answering.

"I've felt better..." He paused before speaking again. "... Did... Is everypony alright? What happened? I think I remember seeing the spell going off, but..."

Applejack nodded as he trailed off. "Everypony got out just fine. Twilight got the gang out just in time. Plopped us all down in a field not to far from Fluttershy's. RD had a broken wing, and most of us where kinda groggy from the gas, but the doc let us go after a couple hours of observation. Rainbow is in the next room actually." The mare chuckled. "She's been going a mite stir crazy ever since they told er' she would be stickn' round for another couple days. One day was bad enough apparently."

"D-Day? I've been out for a whole day?"

"Not quite, but just about. Been what, twenty hours since we got outta of the forest? You took a pretty good knock to the head there, and the sleepin gas didn't help none either. You were startin' to worry us."

"And... You stayed here with me?"

Applejack snorted. "Well course I did! What kinda friend would I be if I didn't stick round to make sure you were ok?" Her slightly offended look faded as a look of embarrassment took its place. "Well... To be honest, it wasn't ENTIRELY my idea. I stayed here with that one."

Sky looked back to where she was pointing. Partially hidden beneath a wool blanket was a familiar pink-bowed filly. Apple Bloom slept soundly on the chair just underneath the windowsill, the very picture of contentment.

"She wouldn't leave your side after she found out what happened yesterday in the forest. Insisted on stayin' here till you woke up. I did the same to keep an eye on her. Speakin' of..."

Sky looked back to Applejack as she took off her hat, holding it against her chest. Her eyes were soft and her ears low. "I-I need to thank ya too. For everything. You saved Bloom from that thing. You volunteered to help even when you didn't need to. Drat, you saved both my and Pinkie's lives. I just..."

She stopped to rub her eyes, and Sky smiled gently raising a hoof to stop her.

"Hey, don't worry about it. It was nothing."

She huffed at that, not buying it. Sky coughed and looked away. "W-Well, I guess not nothing. I WAS pretty terrified for most of yesterday if I'm honest. Took a couple years off my life to be sure. But what I mean is I was just doing what anypony else would have done."

"Anypony else, huh?" She asked, raising a brow. "You're a scientist, ain't ya? Never seen a bookworm like you running towards a fight like you did yesterday. Well, cept maybe Twi." She shook her head at that. "Maybe its just you Canterlot ponies. Loony bunch you lot are."

"Ya, all the ponies from that city are crazy."

They shared a laugh, before Sky sobered and looked nervously at his new friend.

"So... how bad is it? Be honest, I want to know."

"Now don't you worry none about that Sky, the hospital fixed you up just fine. They were worried bout how long you would stay under, but now that's cleared up. Doc said you got a concussion, and there was a nasty cut from where that thing hit you that needed a few stitches. May leave a little bit of a scar. Some bruised ribs and some cuts, but it'll all heal. Doc also said you had some similar injuries that looked a bit older. Cuts, bruises, and scrapes. Asked if you got into any other scuffles recently."

Sky looked confused, until he remembered back to a couple days prior. He grinned.

"No no, no fights. That's just something left over from-"

Apple Bloom chose that moment to stir at the sound of Sky's laughter. She yawned quietly before snuggling back into her blanket, mumbling to herself. The two adults in the room watched briefly before looking back to one another.

"Leftover from what sugarcube?"

Sky's eyes briefly darted to the sleeping filly before returning to Applejack.

"Hmm? Oh nothing, just uh... You know, had an accident walking down the stairs in my new place. Couldn't see my own hoof in front of my muzzle, tripped."

He grinned, hoping the unconvincing lie would be enough. The farmer raised her brow, but let the matter drop.

"Alrighty then, guess its none of my business. Long as you're okay." Opening her mouth, she gave a big yawn before moving back over to Apple Bloom.

"Two of us have been up most of the night. She fell asleep just a bit before you woke up actually. Ma brother has been keepin' an eye on the farm when we're gone, but I should probably get back and see how I can help. Celestia knows we'll be busy after takin' the day off for yesterday's little adventure."

Gently prodding her kin, Applejack woke her younger sister.

"Hey there Bloom. Sky's awake and the Doctors will probably want to talk with 'em. It's time for us to get back home, and for you to get to bed."

Apple Bloom yawned, rubbing her eyes and sitting up.

"Hmhuwa? Mister Sky is awake?" Another yawn overtook her. She looked up to her big sister, clearly not fully awake yet. "Can I just stay here with 'em and you can go back? I want to stay... a bit longer..."

"You can talk with him later if you like, sugarcube. Right now we need to get back. I need to help Big Mac, and you need some real rest."

Apple Bloom nodded and waved lazily, her eyes only half open. "L'right sis. Bye, Mister Sky, thanks for savin' Applejack and my friends."

Sky smiled at the filly, waving back. "You're welcome, Apple Bloom. Have a good rest."

She mumbled something unintelligible before fading back into unconsciousness on her sister's back. Applejack grinned down at her before turning to Sky one more time.

"The others will probably want to come by and talk to ya at some point. Most of 'em had things to get back ta as well. Shy is in the other room with Rainbow Dash, I can tell 'em you're up if you want."

Sky still wasn't all that excited to see the rainbow flyer again even after their talk in the cave, but decided against telling her friend that. He wouldn't mind seeing Miss Fluttershy again, considering the last time he had seen her she was still under the Drakons gas induced coma. It would do him some good to see her up and moving around.

"Sure, you can tell them I wouldn't mind visitors."

Applejack nodded opening the door. Sky could see a nurse just behind her. "Righty then, we'll be on our way. And just so you know, Sky, you're always welcome at Sweet Apple Acres. If'n you need a place to stay for a bit after that thing tore through your new house, don't hesitate to come over, ya hear? We can make space."

"Thanks, Applejack. Have a good rest of your day."

"You too, Sky."


The nurse came in after Applejack left, testing Sky's vitals and asking questions. It was a relatively painless process, and once she had gotten everything she needed, she excused herself to get the doctor. The stallion who returned told him the same things Applejack had, and said they would keep him for another couple days to be sure of no complications arising from his head injury before excusing himself as well. Moments after leaving however, the doctor opened the door again, peeking in.

"Excuse me, Sky, but there are a couple of ponies here to see you. Miss Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash. Would you like to see them?"

"Yes, I would like that, thank you."

The doctor retreated and in his place came two ponies he had not seen since yesterday in the forest clearing. Fluttershy was pushing an irate-looking Rainbow Dash past the threshold in a wheelchair, her wing in a cast.

"H-hello, Sky. It's nice to see you again. How are you feeling?"

Sky shrugged, then winced as the movement agitated his wounds. "I've been better, but I'll survive."

"O-oh. I'm sorry, that was a silly question..." Fluttershy said, lowering her head and hiding herself behind a curtain of hair. Rainbow's eyes narrowed slightly at him, and Sky fought the urge to sigh before turning back to the shy pony.

"No, that's fine, Fluttershy. I'm doing fine all things considered, thank you for asking. How about you two? How are you holding up?"

Fluttershy looked back at him, reassured. "We're doing better. Nurse Redheart says the gas should have already fully worn off, but Rainbow Dash is going to have to stay here for a few days while her wing recovers."

Rainbow Dash grumbled at that. "Don't know why they insist I stay in this stupid chair. It's my wing that was hurt, not my legs!" She then groaned explosively, putting her hooves up to her face. "A few days. May as well be a few months. Or a few years!"

Sky chuckled at the rainbow pony's antics, causing her to peek out from behind her hooves and glare at him. Fluttershy noticed none of this as she simply nodded sympathetically to her wheelchair-bound friend.

"I'm sorry, Rainbow. The hospital ponies are just trying to be sure that you don't hurt it anymore. I'm sure they will let you out as soon as its better."

"Yes. Wouldn't want that Drakon doing anything permanent would we?" Sky asked, supporting the animal lover. "... Actually, that reminds me. What's going to happen now that we know that thing is out there? Did any word come from Canterlot?"

Rainbow Dash perked up at that, interested in the direction the conversation was going. "Oh ya! Twilight got a message from Princess Celestia soon as she got back. Twilight explained what happened and the princess said she would be sending somepony to deal with it as soon as possible."

Sky breathed a sigh of relief at that. "Thank goodness. I don't know how you ponies can live so close to a forest that has things like that in it. Why they built the observatory so close to its edge I have no idea."

Fluttershy perked up at that. "Oh right! Twilight told Princess Celestia about how the drakon attacked your house and the damage he did to it. She said they where sending someone to fix it for you. Isn't that great?"

Sky smiled, before something else she had said caught his attention. Rainbow seemed to catch it as well as she looked over her shoulder at her friend with a curious expression.

"He?"

"Oh yes. From the look I got, it was too small to be a female. If I had to guess, it was probably a male in its early adulthood. A female would have been MUCH larger."

You could hear a pin drop in the room as both the other ponies took time to process that information. Sky stared blankly as the little gears in his head turned, while Rainbow gave a slight shudder at the thought. Fluttershy looked at her winged friend in concern.

"Oh dear, are you feeling cold, Rainbow Dash? I can go get you a blanket if you need it."

Rainbow jumped a little and shook her head a negative. "N-no, that's fine Flutters, no problem here." She looked over at Sky from the corner of her eye. "But... Do you think you could give me and Sky some privacy? There's... something I wanted to talk with him about alone."

Fluttershy blinked, looking between her two friends. "Um... Sure, I guess. I-I'll just go... get some food I guess." She faltered for a moment, unsure of herself, before taking the plunge and moving to Sky's bedside, catching him by surprise as she wrapped him in a large, but gentle, hug. It lasted only a moment until she removed herself, cheeks flushed with embarrassment.

"T-t-thank you..."

With speed that would make a Wonderbolt proud, the timid mare dashed out of the room, leaving Sky confused and flustered.

"Wow. Never seen THAT before. Normally takes ages to even get Shy to open up and talk with somepony. You got a hug out of her in two days. If I didn't know her as well as I do I'd say..."

"... Say what?"

Rainbow Dash stared at him for a moment, looking him up and down appraisingly. She seemed to make up her mind, growling in frustration at her decision.

"Well, I... What I need is to... Grrr..."

She shook her head and dragged her hooves down her face before looking back at him again.

"Look, you're only gonna hear this once, so listen up, ya hear?" Sky simply nodded once, and she took a breath to prepare herself before continuing.

"I was wrong about you, okay? You were there for the girls when they needed you, AND you saved my flank, Fluttershy's, and the Crusaders. That takes some guts, so what I'm trying to say is that I'm... sorry."

Touched, Sky let the confession hang in the air for a moment.

"Thank you, Rainbow Dash, I'm-"

"I'm not done yet!" She interrupted, cutting Sky's return apology short. She made sure he was done before continuing.

"I've known Fluttershy since like, forever. We both grew up in Cloudsdale, went to flight camp together, got our cutie marks at the same time... we're really close is what I'm saying. She's actually older than me but she's just so, you know, sensitive; I guess that I always kinda saw her as a little sister. She probably can't even comprehend liking somepony in a mushy sorta way, she's too busy with her animal friends."

The mare's gaze once again hardened. This was a different look from before however. It wasn't angry; it was protective.

"So believe me when I say, if you try anything stupid, they won't ever find out what happened to you." She held her gaze for a moment longer before some pink worked its way into her cheeks, and she pointed a hoof at him. "And same goes for if you tell ANYPONY we had this conversation, alright?! You don't tell anypony!"

There was silence as Rainbow Dash tried her best to look menacing, but Sky couldn't find it in him to be afraid of her anymore. The absurdity that he was being threatened by a national hero not to get too friendly with a pony he just met hit him, and he stifled a laugh, bringing rise to more pink in his companion's face.

"I-I'm being serious! Nopony, you got it?!"

Unable to contain it any longer, Sky let let loose a loud peal of laughter, leaving Rainbow to simply cross her hooves and look away, her face crimson.

Sky regained control of himself, wiping his eyes and reining in his amusement.

"I-I'm sorry, Rainbow Dash, I really am. I'm not laughing at you, honest. I think its just... me decompressing from the last couple of days. I have no intentions of approaching Miss Fluttershy in that manner, trust me. She's a lovely mare, but I... already have somepony. Sort of."

"Sort of?"

"ANYWAYS," Sky said loudly, not liking where this was going. "Thank you for the apology. I'm sorry we got off on the wrong hoof as well, you were only trying to protect your friend. Can we just forget about last night? Er... The night before I mean. Forgot I've been out for a whole day."

Rainbow was also eager to move on it seemed, as she perked up and nodded her head in agreement.

"Sure, no prob! Fresh start, new beginnings, all that stuff!"

A knock on the door drew their attention as a pink maned nurse poked her head in.

"Excuse me, you two, but it's time for lunch, and it's about time we get Miss Rainbow Dash's wing looked at again."

Stepping into the room, she was followed by another nurse with a cart of food. Moving behind Rainbows chair, the first nurse started to wheel her towards her own room.

"See ya, Sky! Now that you're cool, maybe we could hang out some more while were trapped here?"

Sky noticed the blue-maned nurse next to him role her eyes at Rainbow's description and smiled. "Sure, I wouldn't mind. Probably not today though, I'm still kinda tired strangely enough. Probably go back to sleep after eating."

Rainbow's face dropped at that, as she leaned back in her chair and groaned as she was pushed out the door. The mare with the food cart followed them out and chuckled as she closed the door behind them, leaving Sky alone with his meal and his thoughts.