• Published 6th Sep 2014
  • 1,243 Views, 33 Comments

Settling In - A Wild Magikarp



Sky moves into the new observatory in Ponyville to escape the city lights. A place with clear skies, beautiful scenery... and a population who seems intent on keeping him away from his telescope.

  • ...
2
 33
 1,243

Chapter 22

"I'm just glad you're alright girl," Sky said as he carefully held Selene in his forelegs, gently stroking her down her back. The feline reciprocated his affection, purring loudly and rubbing her cheek along her owner's barrel. "I was so worried about you when everything started happening! Thank goodness you're okay!"

Selene of course did not respond, instead deciding it was time to end the embrace. Hopping down, she gave her owner just enough time to stand before finding her usual spot on his back. Curling up, the cat closed her eyes and continued to purr. Sky's smile only widened as his furry friend return to her perch, and he turned back to face a giggling, red-maned mare.

"Thank you so much for taking care of her, Roseluck. I couldn't stand the thought of her being out there on her own all this time."

Rose smiled and lightly shook her head. "It was no problem at all. She's actually the one who found me when she wandered into town. She was quite the sight, all covered in dust, fur sticking out this way and that. I may not have recognized her if not for her collar."

Her smile faded slightly as she looked him over. Worry was in her eyes as she stared briefly at the bright pink scar that now graced his brow just above his right eye. It was thankfully thin and ran up towards his ear, standing out on his navy blue coat.

"Are you sure you're doing alright yourself? The doctors said everything was fine? I can't imagine what it must have been like, being out there fighting a giant... p-poison breathing... thing."

Sky nodded. "Yes, Nurse Redheart said that I checked out just fine. The concussion was mild, and she said to take it easy and don't try anything strenuous for a couple weeks. I'll be going in every once in a while to check in and see how I am doing. Other than that, the rest of me is doing pretty well. She even said the scar should fade with time, won't be quite as noticeable as it is now."

"Aw, there goes your rugged adventurer-type look."

Sky barked out a quick laugh before he could stop himself.

"Rose, I told you what I do right? I'm not exactly the 'adventurer-type'."

"I know that, but mares love a guy with a look of danger about him, right?"

That made Sky pause, thoughts turning back to a certain musician back in Canterlot.

"And think of it. When ponies ask you where you got it, you can tell them you got it on a rescue mission, fighting a giant beast in the Everfree!"

That got Sky to roll his eyes. "They'll never believe that, even if it is the truth. It hardly qualifies as a battle scar."

Rose let out a sigh as she admitted defeat, but her grin showed she was only kidding. Sky chuckled and made his way down the road away from the hospital. Rose quickly followed after him. "Going back to your stall?" Sky asked.

"Naw, I think the girls can handle watching it a bit longer. I'll walk you back to the observatory." A frown. "You have a place to stay right? From what I heard that thing trashed your place pretty good."

Sky nodded. "Thank you for asking, but yes. I'm going to check the place out and see what the damage is. If its too bad, Applejack has offered me a place to stay until the repairs can be made. I'm holding out hope that it wont come to that however."

"Glad to hear it."


The rest of the trip was passed with a mixture of small talk and familiarizing Sky more with Ponyville. Roseluck would tell him about that shop there, or about the different events held here, who lived where and did what. It was obvious she knew almost everypony in town, at least by their face if not by name. It was a small town, so it was not all that surprising, but it was obvious to Sky he had a lot to learn if he wanted to be a more active part of this little community.

Finally they came to the damaged observatory. Nothing had changed since he had last seen it, the living area was a mess and the back wall annihilated. Sky noted however that the dome on the second story, the master bedroom, and even most of the kitchen looked to be intact, giving him hope for the guest room and the bathroom as well.

"Wow..." Rose whispered.

"It's... not as bad as it looks. I don't think at least. Looks like it mostly tore through the living room. The rest looks mostly intact."

"You still actually plan on staying here?" Rose asked incredulously.

Sky shook his head. "I don't know how long the repairs are going to take, but I hate the idea of living off of anypony's generosity for that long. The necessities look like they are still there, and heating and plumbing should still work in the other rooms. And if I am honest I... I don't feel comfortable just leaving all that equipment upstairs alone when there is a giant hole in the wall. The telescope alone is worth six hundred thirty thousand bits. It's the top of the line MW950 model. Best there is." Rose whistled, and Sky nodded his agreement, an almost dreamy look on his face as he looked up to the dome on the second story and sighed. The moment quickly passed and he refocused on the conversation.

"Most of my stuff didn't get unpacked the first night, it's mostly still sitting in the bedroom in bags, so it should be intact. It's not pretty but... it's home now."

"Well if you're sure." Roseluck said with uncertainty as she tore her gaze from the damaged abode and to the pony who would be staying in it. "I better get back to my stall now, Sky, but it was really good to see you're okay. I Hope things settle down for you from here on out."

"So do I, Rose. Thanks again for looking out for Selene, have a good rest of your day!"

"You too!"


It was late into the evening when Sky received a knock on his door. He was just preparing to settled down for the night after spending some time tidying up and unpacking. His sparse wardrobe was put away, the small collection of books he had brought was neatly organized on the shelf in the corner, and you couldn't even tell from the bedroom that a giant Everfree monster had rampaged through the living room a few yards away. A bag of toiletries in mouth, he changed course and made his way to the door, shivering slightly at the breeze let in by the damaged wall. Opening the door, Sky blinked in momentary confusion as he had to look up to see his guest's face.

Princess Luna looked to the bag in his mouth and raised a brow in confusion. There was a moment of quiet at the threshold until Sky quickly whipped the bag off to the side and bowed low.

"YOUR MA-ah... Princess Luna! W-What are you doing here? Not that you're not welcome, its just... strange to see you again so soon." He paled and looked back at the living room, then looked up at the lunar diarch in fear. "I SWEAR, this was not my fault!"

Princess Luna smirked at his exclamation of innocence and shook her head, bidding him to rise with her hoof. "Fear not, young Sky, I know full well the events of these last few days. I am well aware of the cause of these... damages." Her eyes wandered to the scar he now sported, and she adopted a look of worry similar to that Rose had worn earlier that day.

"Are you well enough to be by yourself? 'Twas quite the battle from the report Twilight Sparkle sent my sister."

"Y-Yes Princess, I'm fine. The hospital told me not too try anything to stressful for a couple of weeks, and so long as I do that, everything checks out."

"Very good. I am glad to hear that the beast did no lasting harm to anypony. Most fortunate, though I have come to expect no less from Twilight Sparkle and her friends. And of course yourself, Sky. There was no shortage of praise for your performance during the rescue."

Sky blushed at the praise, looking down to his hooves. "I-I just did what anypony else would have done, Princess. I couldn't simply do nothing when they ran off to go save their friends and family. My contribution to the fight was pretty much to get smacked around a little while Twilight cast her spell. Not the most impressive display."

"No? So was Twilight Sparkle wrong when she said it is you who delivered young Apple Bloom from the creature's clutches? Or that it was you who ferried its victims from the cave so that she could transport them? Perhaps she embellished when she said you saved Applejacks life as well?"

Sky rubbed his leg and continued looking down, prompting Luna to lift his chin and meet his gaze.

"Humility is a commendable quality, but it is not pride to acknowledge your own hoof in all of this. You have done well, Sky, do not minimize your part in this."

A small smile appeared on Sky's face and he nodded. "Yes Princess, thank you. A-And if you are here to inspect the facilities I assure you that nothing vital was damaged during the attack. The observatory itself is completely intact."

"Thank you, Sky, but I was not here to check the facilities, I am aware that repairs are already planned. I actually came to ensure you were well. That is, how well you were coping with the circumstances."

Sky thought for a moment and frowned. "I'm... fine, Princess. There wasn't a whole lot of time to think about it when everything was happening, and then after, well..." He shuddered. "It's been hard to fall asleep some nights. It helped hearing that Canterlot was sending ponies to deal with it though. Is there any word on that yet, Princess? Did the guard handle the situation yet?"

The lunar princess grimaced, and Sky noticed a near imperceivable twitch in her ear as she used his welcome mat to wipe some grime off the bottom of her shoe.

"The beast has been... dealt with. The citizens of Ponyville can rest easy knowing it no longer poses any threat."

Sky considered asking her more on the topic, but something told him otherwise, and instead stepped aside to make way for her entrance.

"Would you care to come in your, Highness? It's starting to get cold out and I'm sure I could find some blankets around here to make up for the ah... renovations. Maybe something warm to drink before your flight back?"

"Thank you for the offer, Sky, but unfortunately I will have to decline. My trip to Ponyville was not a scheduled one, and I have many matters awaiting my attention in Canterlot. Perhaps another time." Taking a step away from the door, Luna paused, and after a moment looking at the building her horn ignited. It started dim and gradually brightened till Sky felt he may have to look away, before it flashed briefly and went dark.

"What was that, Princess?"

"Simply a protective spell. It is as you said, rather cold out. That should keep you well guarded against such things now. Fare thee well Sky."

"Y-You too, Princess! Have a good night!"

Sky watched her for a minute as she flew off into the night towards the distant mountain city of his birth before closing the door. He noticed the air was indeed growing slightly warmer inside than out, despite the gaping hole in the back wall. Silently thanking the princess, he retrieved his bag and continued his trip to the restroom.


Sky sat in bed, staring at the ceiling as Selene lay at his side purring. It all seemed like a dream, the events of the last couple months. The most adventure he'd had prior to this trip had been a night at Neon's club, at Vinyl's behest. Even then Octavia going with him was the only reason he had considered. Now here he was, in his dream job, in a new town. He had faced down a horrific monster with heroes of his time to save, among other ponies, the fillyfied version of one of Equestia's greatest villains. He had answered the door to royalty not once, but twice. Last week he had lain here wondering what his world was coming too. Now he wondered what could possibly be the cause.

He stayed that way for several minutes longer, and could only come up with one conclusion. Sky fell back into the bed, his pillow swallowing his head as he sighed loudly.

"This entire town is CRAZY!"

Author's Note:

At long last, the first in the series is complete. For those following, don't worry, I have MANY plans for this series in the future, and I am eager to share them.
-
That's not to say I don't have other ideas to work with. Gotta show I ain't no one trick pony, no pun intended.
-
Still, my next project WILL be continuation of this world, but with a more Slice of Life feel. Much more to come ponyos, so stick around!
-
A massive shout out to my editor The Great Derpsby. Software that does what I ask of him are a all over, but the most important part he played was simply taking the time to read and respond. I would have found the fire to write much harder to fan if not for you people commenting on my work and giving feedback, of which he was the main contributor.
-
Thanks man, I appreciate it. :heart:

Comments ( 1 )

First Friendship is Magic fanfiction i read. Great, so far.

Login or register to comment