• Published 6th Sep 2014
  • 1,243 Views, 33 Comments

Settling In - A Wild Magikarp



Sky moves into the new observatory in Ponyville to escape the city lights. A place with clear skies, beautiful scenery... and a population who seems intent on keeping him away from his telescope.

  • ...
2
 33
 1,243

Chapter 11

Author's Note:

It's late, its rough around the edges, and its here! Chapter 11 has finally been completed!
Fair warning, I wanted to get this out to you before the 4th. A special little celebratory chapter for the birthday of the US-of-A. Unfortunately, I did not finish it till 10:40 on the 3rd, which means I could not run the re-re-written version by my editor in time, so there may be just a feeew more typos then usual. But I'm sure you can all handle that. :twilightsmile:
Pre-read and edited (Mostly) by TheGreatDerpsby.
Feedback is appreciated, and a few thumbs-up would be fantastic as always. Enjoy, and happy 4th Of July!

Sky took a moment to appreciate just how absurd his current situation was. He was in a new home, in a strange town, recovering from an impromptu party in his honor. He was also currently answering the door for royalty, who was carrying his luggage, that wasn't suppose to be returning to him for another day or two at a minimum. This moment lasted approximately eight seconds, before he realized that said royalty had just addressed him. He briefly stood up straighter, before prostrating himself before the lunar princess.

Y-Your Highness! Please, pardon my lack of politeness! I-I-I just... you... ah... I had not hoped to hear of my luggage till two days time, a-and... um... So sorry your s-ah I mean, your majesty!"

Sky stayed there in this position for what felt like ages, but was likely only a few minutes. Realizing he was getting no response, he looked up to see what was wrong. Princess Luna was still there, but rather than looking at him, she was gazing out into his living space with an empty expression. Sky could almost swear that her eyes where slowly drifting apart as he watched. Suddenly, she shook her head as if to clear it, and looked down at him, prompting his eyes to the floor in return.

"Tis... quite alright, Night Sky. We understand that this must be a rather confusing turn of events. The train upon which thee departed broke down not long after departing Ponyville, and so was returned to Canterlot so that the source of the problem could be descried. Thy luggage was discovered to still be on-board after all others had removed theirs, so we have come to return it to you. I trust this is good news?"

Sky simply nodded, not trusting himself to not burst once more into alliteration.

"Verily. So, may we...I... enter, Sky? The trip here was long, and I would like to be able to rest my wings before the return to Canterlot."

Halfway through her request, Sky had already moved out of the doorway and into the living-room, removing the pillows from the couch to make a faux-bed for her out of the cushions. After that was finished, he made for the kitchen, before realizing he had nothing to prepare for company, nor if he did would it be fit for royalty. In the absence of refreshments, he returned to his spot in front of her and bowed low once more.

Princess Luna arched an eyebrow it this, before making her way past him to the makeshift bed. Patting down and moving about a few loose cushions, she made herself comfortable in the cushions before turning to Sky.

"We have met before, young Sky, and on good and friendly terms. Is there reason for thy silence now? If I have done anything to insult thee, I apologize for the unmeant offense."

Sky looked up startled, shaking his head. "No-no-no your majesty! It's not you, it's me!" He quickly stated before continuing, taking time with his words as to carefully consider what he was about to say before it left his mouth "It is just that I... do not trust myself not to make a fool of myself right now."

"Is that so? And what, pray-tell, is it thee are fearful to say?"

Sky began to sweat, feeling even more anxious at the turn the conversation was taking. He was not comfortable with talking about himself in front of royalty, as something about taking on such a self-centered topic when addressing the princess just seemed... wrong.

"I-It is a long story your Majesty, and not a very interesting one at that. I am certain you would not wish to hear it."

"Nonsense! I wish my subject to be comfortable in my presence, same as mine sister! If there is reason for this fear, let us hear of it!"

Sky nodded and collected his thoughts before responding, returning his eyes on the floor out of respect.

"Well... it has nothing to do with you personally your Majesty. The thing is, I have this habit... more of a nervous tic really, where if I get really agitated, I sometimes fall back on using alliterations in my sentences." He took a seat and rubbed his hooves together. Still feeling uncomfortable with talking about himself with his ruler, he readied himself for a talk about his past.

"It comes from my childhood, where the bullies in the schoolyard would make fun of me. I was a big reader back then, and I still am, but that was weird for a colt my age. I would get teased constantly, that classic 'egghead' insult. So to get back at them, and get them to leave, I would use larger, more complicated words to confuse them, and sorta... annoy them into leaving, I guess? I would use assonance and rhyme the same way. It was kind of petty to show them up like that, I know that now. I was really just trying to insult their intelligence, and that was wrong. But it worked, and that's all I cared about. They left me alone after a while."

Sky grimaced as old memories returned. "Then I got into the higher grades, and it lost its effectiveness. Just something else for them to poke fun at me for I guess. But I had been doing it for so long, it kinda stuck... Now, when I get nervous, or really stressed, I sometime fall back on it, and make an idiot of myself. I thought I had for the most part gotten rid of it a long time ago, but it looks as if the stress of today has brought it back from the grave, so to speak. There is a burly red stallion somewhere in town that thinks I'm an absolute fool now."

"Ah. So that is why you sounded as if thee where making some strange attempt at poetry upon answering the door. And it is also why thee appear to be struggling to find the right words now?"

He nodded. "Yes your Majesty, I am currently controlling my... vocabulary, so that I don't ramble. I apologize for any confusion I may have caused."

"Mhmm," she responded, taking on a thoughtful appearance.

There was a time of silence as the princess absorbed what he had said, and Sky waited for her to speak. He had worked up the courage to lift his gaze, and was now peaking nervously over his hairline at the princess in a way that reminded him of a certain pink-maned pegasus he had met earlier in the night.

The princess spoke suddenly, startling him out of his train of thought. "I do the same thing, I will have thee know."

Sky raised his head up all the way, looking at her incredulously and blinking in shock. "Really?"

"Well, perhaps not in the same manner of which thee does. But I still do suffer from a similar habit of the tongue. As thee well know, I was trapped in the moon as the 'Nightmare Moon' of legend. For a thousand years, I was removed from the culture, from society, and the ponies I once ruled. Upon my return, and subsequent released from my... sickness, I soon realized that the dialect had changed as much as the ponies. Thee may notice, among other things, that I slip occasionally into using the royal 'we' when speaking, for example. Speaking of which, 'thee' is to be 'you', is it not?" She asked.

Sky blinked again. Had the Princess of the Night just related to him?

"Y-Yes, your Majesty, it is."

Princess Luna nodded. "Thank you. But yes, while I can keep my tongue mostly in check, there are times when I too feel stress, and the old way of speaking returns." She chuckled sadly as a memory came to mind. "I remember my first full day back at the castle when the maid came to my chambers to show me to the dinning hall. The poor mare nearly suffered a heart attack after she witnessed the Royal Canterlot Voice for the first time. I do not think I have yet had the chance to apologize in fact..."

Sky nodded, not quite sure where the conversation was going. Perhaps she just meant to make him feel more comfortable? To appear friendly?

"Do you feel as if your friends think less of you for your speech impairment, as infrequent as it may appear, Sky?"

Sky did not have to think long on that. "Well, the only one of my friends who has heard it is Octavia, during a rather... *ahem*... awkward conversation. But I don't think she, or the others, would ever think less of me for it."

"And what of your family?"

He allowed himself a small grin at that. "Oh, Evergreen and Melody have been on the receiving end of it more than once. They think its funny, but I don't think their judgmental about it."

The princess nodded as if to confirm this. "Then why worry about such things? If the ponies that matter most in your life care nothing of it, why should you? Surely you do not have to prove anything to yourself, right?"

Sky opened his mouth to respond, then closed it. He had never thought of it that way. He had always assumed it was just something wrong, that he needed to get rid of, like a bad habit. He had never considered it as inconsequential is the princess was making it out to be.

"I... no, I suppose not your Majesty. I just always figured life would be better if I could get over it. It was never a big deal unless I made it one, but... huh." He thought on this for a moment, before a question of his own was raised. "But if it matters so little, why are YOU trying to get rid of your own, ah, impediment?"

"That is mostly due to my position, and the image I create when I use it. Ponies are fearful enough of me when you consider my power as an alicorn, my position as a princess, and my... past sins. I am learning the new dialect that I might seem less intimidating when addressing the common pony. I can only hope it helps as much as I believe it might. I feel no shame over it, but it is an obstacle I must overcome all the same."

There was a moment of silence as Sky considered this, and the princess gave him time to do so. His alliteration wasn't an obstacle, heck, most days he didn't even have to worry about it at all! Aside from the today's exceptionally stressful circumstance, and the talk with Octavia last December, he hadn't had it surface for going on three years now! Now that he thought about it, it wasn't even all that noticeable either. The princess's problem with modern language was much more noticeable, and by her own admission she would ignore if it wasn't for the fact that her job somewhat depended upon her ability to appear relatable to her subjects.

"You know, I don't think it makes you intimidating your Highness." The princess raised an eyebrow at this, and Sky drew inward just a little. "I-I mean, sure its noticeable, but honestly, it doesn't make your scary. Maybe somepony who is already intimidated by you might be frightened by it, but just talking with you now, I don't mind it that much. It's actually kind of interesting, gives you more personality I think. I guess what I'm saying is that you shouldn't have to change it if you don't want to?"

The princess huff lightly. "Well said, Night Sky, and boldly too. It has been centuries since anypony aside from mine sister or The Doctor has dared speak with me in such an way. It is not often one speaks to a ruler of Equestria as an equal."

Sky flinched at that, looking down again. He had not intended to be so informal as to talk with her in a friendly way. She was his princess, and it seemed for a moment he had forgotten. Hopefully she would not take to much offense from his tone.

"It is a refreshing change of pace to be spoken to without worry of keeping up with formalities. Thank you."

"... Hah?"

Now, the princess traded her amusement for exasperation. "Sky, I understand that perhaps today was taxing for you, and I would be willing to hear all about it, but there is something I much ask you. When we meet last at the university, you where quite open to talk with me, and if memory serves, you where also the pony who goaded the crowed into applause when I first made my appearance. Now, you speak to me in what is not fear as you have made clear, but with much more reverence then when last we spoke. Is there a reason for this?"

Sky thought for a moment. He felt that between the two interactions, now was the time he was acting the way he normally would. So what was it about their last interaction that had caused him to be so... carefree?

"I guess that the excitement of the moment had just gotten the better of me your Majesty. I think you could tell by my reaction at your announcement, but I was extremely excited to hear about the new facilities. And then when you told me that I would be the one to operate this place alone, I guess I just lost my inhibition for a while, and for that, I apologize. How I behaved at the time was both unprofessional and disrespectful."

With his eyes downcast in apology, what Sky could not see was the sad look that crossed the princesses face. She had been hoping that their earlier interactions where a sign that he had already grown accustomed to her as The Doctor had. But given the amount of time she had known the Time Lord, and how high both she and her sister where placed on a pedestal by the common pony, its was obvious that she had been assuming to much. Still, that did not mean progress could not be made. She could accept his respectful disposition for as long as it would take for him to leave it behind. That did not mean she would not try and help him to do so.

"There is no need to apologize Sky. As I said, it is refreshing to hear one speak to me without concern for being 'proper'."

The princess then looked to the clock that was set up above the door to the observatory. She stood and stretched her wings, deciding she had stayed long enough. "I thank your for your hospitality Sky. But now it is time for me to depart. My duties are not to be ignored, and I am certain you are ready to retire yourself."

On cue, a yawn escaped Sky and he looked up to the clock to see that it was nearing midnight.

"Yes your Majesty, I would like that very much. And it was no problem at all. Thank you very much for bringing my my luggage by the way." He paused. "Actually, why DID you bring me my luggage your Majesty? If I really needed it, surely you could have gotten some guards, or even university staff to deliver it to me?"

Somehow, the princess managed to look embarrassed at that, as if she had been caught in the act of something. "Ah, well, it was not in fact MY idea. The Doctor was the one who discovered your bags upon their return to your address. Apparently, he was at your parents residence in Canterlot when they arrived there. He felt it would be worth it to bring these to you as soon as possible. He also felt that it would be best if I came and gave them to you personally for some reason, so here I am."

Sky cocked his head to the side in confusion, still not understanding WHY she was the best pony to bring him his luggage, but more curious of another matter.

"Doctor?" He asked. "Doctor who?"

The Princess brought her hooves to her muzzle and gave a loud snerk as she held in a laugh, her face contorting and scrunching in a failed attempt to contain a smile. Given a few moments, she had regained control, and returned her gaze to Sky, no longer laughing, but unable to contain the large smile that had made its way into her face.

"P-pardon me Sky, just old memories brought to mind. I meant to say that Clockwork brought them to me. I apologize over the confusion."

"O-ok." He said, still confused about the sudden merriment she had displayed at the seemingly innocuous question. Deciding to put it aside for later, Sky lowered his head into a bow. "No worries your Highness. Have a good rest of your night, and thank you once again."

"Sky," he heard her say with a serious tone, prompting him to look up. "Mine sister and I are no different then the common pony in that we have friends the same as you do, and what I said to you and Clockwork at the university was the absolute truth. Clockwork is a dear friend, and he speaks highly of you. Any friend of Clockworks is a friend of mine, so please, when we are alone, call me Luna. Not 'Majesty' or 'Highness', I would rather forget the formalities when I am away from the public eye."

Getting over his shock, Sky nodded. "Yes, of course Princess Luna."

Luna smile as she opened the front door with her magic. It was a start. "Then with that, I bid you good evening, Sky." She then turned and walked outside, before spreading her wings once again and taking off towards Canterlot, closing the door behind herself.


Sky sat down in what he assumed must be the master bedroom upon his new bed, yet another complimentary furnishing he had not been expecting in his beautiful new home. It had been several minutes since the princess had left, and Selene had returned from wherever it was she had disappeared to now that the lunar diarch had gone. The cat was currently curled up on one of the pillows, lightly purring to express her content state. Sky, however, was struggling around making sense of the day he had just had.

'Ok, so, recap of strange happenings. Selene leaving the train to go interact willingly with strangers? Check. Run over by a flying trio of fillies? Definitely still feeling that one. Meet the reincarnation of one of the greatest threats to ponykind, now in the form of a little filly? Why didn't I ask Princess Luna about that? Welp, check. Super-surprise surprise party, check. Talking casually with my ruler, and employer? Check!'

Looking up from his internalized checklist and looking around the room at his newly reclaimed luggage, Sky took a moment to consider, before raising his foreleg to his mouth and quickly biting.

"OW!... Ok, so not that..." Another moment of consideration, then he sighed and flopped back onto the bed.

"What is my world coming to?" He asked quietly to himself, before laying down on his side for some sorely needed sleep.