• Published 2nd Sep 2014
  • 1,264 Views, 14 Comments

What is love? - nutcase4real



Pinkie Pie has a question stuck in her mind, and she wants an answer.

  • ...
4
 14
 1,264

Pinkie's Question

Pinkie's face was screwed up in concentration. The day around her was beautiful and warm, but she wasn't paying any heed to it. She didn't notice the laughter of the foals down the road. She didn't notice the smiles and waves she was getting from passersby. She didn't even notice when Twilight Sparkle started approaching her.

All Pinkie Pie did was stare at the ground. She was lost in her thoughts. Well actually she was only lost in one thought. Her thought was a question. A question that had been stuck in her mind for a while now. She needed an answer to it, and she realized that a question this big could only be answered after some really, really, really deep thinking.

Twilight mentally noted that Pinkie had actually been in exact same spot from when she passed by over thirty minutes ago. Twilight began to wonder what in all of Equestria could make her hyperactive friend sit still for so long, and finally curiosity and a little bit of worry won out.

"Pinkie Pie?" Twilight called out to her friend as she approached her, to no avail. "Pinkie Pie is everything okay?"

Pinkie still didn't even acknowledge Twilight's presence. If she did, she didn't budge. Which, was odd for Pinkie Pie. Twilight walked over to her side and placed a hoof on Pinkie's shoulder. Pinkie Pie emitted a little yelp of surprise from the sudden contact. She leapt from her seated position in a start. She looked into Twilight's curious eyes and smiled.

"Hiya Twilight, what's up?" Pinkie greeted with a smile.

"Pinkie Pie, is something wrong?" Twilight repeated.

"No. Why?" Pinkie asked as she stood up.

"Well you've been sitting in that spot for over half an hour without moving. That's not something I've ever seen you do before for no reason."

"Oh that," Pinkie said as she waved her hoof dismissively, "I was thinking about something really, really hard."

A smile crossed Twilight's lips, "Oh, what were you thinking about?" she asked Pinkie Pie.

"Well it's more of a question that I want to find an answer to. Would you mind if I asked you the question?" Pinkie asked happily as she bounced with the prospects of her new idea.

Twilight chuckled lightly, "Of course not Pinkie Pie," Twilight sat down on the ground and patted a grassy spot next to her, "sit and ask away."

Pinkie sat down and shifted around until she was comfortable. Once she had achieved that, she asked her question.

"Twilight, what is love?" Pinkie asked with a smile.

Twilight's mind froze. This definitely wasn't what she had expected. Twilight thought that Pinkie's question was going to be about cupcakes or something of the sort, but she wanted to know about love. Twilight had read many books on the subject and began to explain everything she could recall.

"Well Pinkie, love is an emotion that ponies have when they want to be with another pony. The pony feels like..." Twilight began looking around like she would find the answer somewhere near her, "like they can't do anything without the other, and..."

"I know that, but," Pinkie looked up into the sky and then back at Twilight, "what is love?" Pinkie asked again as she laid down on her stomach and supported her head with her hooves.

Twilight's mind went blank. She had just been over this, or at least she was trying to. She was going over the very definition of love and Pinkie Pie just stopped her and said that it wasn't what she wanted to know.

"Pinkie, I'm afraid I'm not following what you mean." Twilight said after a moment of silence.

Pinkie was absent mindedly blowing a tuff of her mane out of her face and rolled over onto her back. She placed her hooves behind her head and stared at the clouds rolling by.

"If you don't mind my asking," Pinkie looked back over to Twilight and smiled, "what made you think of this?" Twilight asked.

She watched Pinkie Pie's eyes divert to the sky once more, and Pinkie Pie sighed. The gears in Twilight's mind began turning once more. A knowing smile spread across her muzzle and she lightly shook her head.

"So Pinkie Pie," Twilight started as she laid down next to Pinkie, "how long has Rainbow Dash been away in Cloudsdale?"

"Three days, six hours, thirty five minutes, and ten seconds. Eleven seconds. Twelve seconds..." Pinkie answered without taking her eyes off of the sky before Twilight finally decided to end her counting with another question.

"Okay, and what is your favorite color?" Twilight asked with an even larger smile than before.

"The rainbow." Pinkie said as she turned over and looked to Twilight, "That's a color, right?" she asked quizzically.

Twilight stifled a giggle and shook her head. Pinkie arched her eyebrow.

"What's so funny? Is it a joke? I love jokes!" Pinkie said with a smile.

"So have you told her?" Twilight asked.

"Told who what?" Pinkie asked.

Twilight chuckled and clarified "Have you told Rainbow Dash about your feelings?"

Pinkie Pie sighed and sat up again, "What are you talking about Twilight?"

"Well Pinkie Pie, thinking back on this now, you do spend more time with Rainbow Dash than with the rest of us, and more than once Rainbow has told me that you literally chase her down so you can do something with her. You've never done that with the rest of us." Twilight explained.

Pinkie Pie stared at Twilight with her signature smile and looked back up to the sky, "You know, I was afraid of that."

"Afraid of what?" Twilight asked.

"Admitting to myself that I have feelings for Dash." Pinkie said quietly as she shifted her gaze down to the ground.

"And why is that Pinkie?" Twilight continued.

"Because then everything changes." Pinkie said solemnly.

"That's not entirely true Pinkie. Being in love is a natural thing. It is the step after friendship, and like friendship it can be a very rewarding relationship when founded with trust, mutual respect, and understanding." Twilight said.

"But everything will be different." Pinkie stated.

Twilight nodded, "It's true that somethings will change, but for the most part, it will seem like everything is exactly the way it was before."

"It would be nice to finally have my own special somepony. Somepony I could rely on, somepony to hold me when I'm not feeling very Pinkie-ish, somepony to...," Pinkie Pie blushed a little, "kiss me and let me know they love me as much as I love them."

Twilight smiled and placed a comforting hoof on Pinkie's shoulder, "And that's natural. We all want to find love, and it could be that you have found the one for you. You'll won't know for sure until you tell her."

Pinkie looked over to Twilight and smiled, "You're right Twilight."

Twilight smiled, "So what are you going to do now?"

Pinkie Pie stood up and to gallop towards Sugar Cube Corner, "I'm going to tell my Dashie how I feel!"