• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 3,197 Views, 46 Comments

In Each Other's Hooves - Sumiye



When the Elements of Harmony get into a heated argument about who has the hardest life and who could do each other's jobs better, fate decides to make things interesting...

  • ...
8
 46
 3,197

Arrival

A small aqua bowl floated through the air, levitated by a tiny, magenta aura, which slowly moved the object toward a small table in the middle of the room. Twilight sighed as the bowl was laid against the wooden structure, and released her magical hold, the aura vanishing completely from her horn and the bowl. Sweat dripped off her brow and down across her muzzle, but the proud unicorn smiled at her work in a short amount of time. Six sleeping bags were placed around the room, each one differing in size and color.

"Hey, Twi!" Spike's sudden voice jolted Twilight out of her thoughts, and she quickly turned to find her number one assistant standing by the hallway door, a small scroll laced between his claws, causing Twilight's skin to crawl.

"Please don't tell me that's what I think it is?" Silence greeted her question, and Twilight sighed as Spike slowly set the scroll down and swiftly ran out without a word. After a moment of grief, the scroll was lifted up and rolled out in front of the distraught unicorn.

"I know she's my favorite mentor and teacher, and nothing could make me hate her but...this is the fifth scroll today."

My Most Faithful Student Twilight,

I'm terribly sorry for the inconvenience, but I have just received a particularly curious object from the residents of Haywaii.

It appears to be a mysterious orb surround in a light aura of red. Our ponies here have had no luck on figuring out what it is, all they could tell was that it has more untold power inside then other artifacts we've found in a long time: this at least dates back to when the Tree of Harmony was formed.

I am explaining this to you because I trust you may be able to figure out what's behind this orb and if possible, contain this power and make sure it doesn't cause disaster. The orb should be on the way to you know.

Your Mentor,

Princess Celestia

**Knock Knock**

"Coming!" Twilight yelled, letting the scroll fall to the floor before trotting down the small hallway. Soon the familiar wooden door filled her vision, and the it was slowly opened, pulled by a light bit of magic.

"Delivery for Twilight!" At her confirming nod, Ditzy Doo, or mostly known as Derpy, smiled by the door and pushed one of her wings into a small bag by her side, and shuffled out a small box, which she dropped on the ground and pushed forward.

"Thank You Derpy, I very much appreciate it. But one last question? Where did this package come from?" The question was answered by the name Twilight loved but was dreading at the moment.

"That would be the Princess, Ms Twilight. Said it was to get here as soon as possible. Anyway, I've gotta go. More deliveries to make!" The pegasi's wings flapped hard, which shot herself into the air, accidentally slamming her into the upstairs balcony. Derpy stumbled for a bit, falling slightly before regaining her composure and speeding off.

"She's such a nice mare...why would someone think she's stupid just because of her eyes?" The small box was carefully lifted from the it's place on the ground, and Twilight's back leg slammed the door shut as she moved back toward the center of the room.

"Can I come back now, Twi? Are you calm?" Spike's tiny voice flew through the room, and Twilight smiled warmly before gesturing for the young dragon to come forward. Now full or comfort, Spike raced to the unicorn, but stopped when he saw the small box being set down onto the wooden table.

"What's in the box? I don't remember seeing it before."

"It just got here, Spike. The Princess sent it to me so I could try to figure out what it is and how it works. Now stand back, I don't have a clue what it might do." Spike slowly took small steps backward, but his eyes gleamed with curiosity and anticipation as Twilight broke the magic hold on the mysterious box and reached a hoof out forward. The hoof dug under the first flap, and she flicked it up, swinging the flap outward soundlessly. After a moment of silence, her hoof moved to the other side, flinging the other half up as well.

"Well, what are you waiting for," Spike yelled out, tempted to reach his claw in and grab the object himself. "Just pull it out!" With a large gulp, Twilight folded her hooves back to her sides, and magic flowed into her horn again, grabbing a hold of the object and sliding it out to reave-

"Hey, Twiiilight!! What'cha doing?" Shrieking in fright, Twilight slammed the object back inside it's package and carelessly flung the box into a small corner, not noticing how it started to lightly shake and become enveloped in a blood-red glow.

"Pinkie! Hi...why are you here so early?" The party pony just smiled happily, shrugging before bouncing around the room, taking in all the features.

"I'm gonna go to get snacks, alright guys?" Spike said before hastily fleeing from the awkward-exciting scene before him.

"Wooow!! You really made is place look great, Twi! Even the dusty, old books look amazing!" Pinkie Pie's hooves shook with excitement, but to Twilight's surprise stopped suddenly. Her hyperactive friend fell from the air, wobbling slightly and rubbing her eyes repeatedly. Twilight then realized why:

Dark circles had formed under Pinkie's eyes, and her eyes looked uncertain and glossed over as she desperately tried to force a smile again.

"Pinkie..." Pinkie jumped, finally realizing that Twilight was still in the room, staring at her with a confusion expression. "Are you tired?"

She's either had too much sugar with the little fillies and colts, or she needs to take a day off sometime.

"I guess I am a bit." Pinkie Pie finally answered quietly, her hoof scraping across the wooden floor. "There were a lot of fillies and colts today who were upset, and you know me! I just have to make everypony smile!!" The grin was forced and had severe pain, Twilight noticed.

I'm gonna go with day off.

A large yawn escaped from Pinkie, and the young mare almost fainted on the spot if it wasn't for another loud knock that came from the door. Twilight swiftly turned to get the door, but was paused by Pinkie placing a hoof on her back. She turned around, and gaped when she saw Pinkie Pie's hair limp and falling down beside her, thought her eyes still sparkled with joy.

"Please don't tell anyone that I was like this. This is just one time and I don't want anyone obsessing. I'll be fine in a bit." A silent nod answered Pinkie's cheery pleas, and her mane changed within an instant, going from flat to bubbly and wide.

"Just a mooommeeennttt, I'm coming!!" Pinkie seemed to have erased every part of her that had appeared before Twilight, and was now bouncing lightly on her hooves toward the door. Twilight's mind was still whirring when the door opened to reveal a very familiar brown Stetson.

"Howdy, Sugarcubes! Is averything ready yet or did Ah come tah early?" Applejack smiled, trotting forward slowly, scanning the room with the same manner as Pinkie Pie.

"Not at all, AJ. I have everything set up before Pinkie got here, so you're fine." Twilight grinned, though she knew it was a little forced. Something was wrong with Applejack as well, and she knew it but just couldn't see it yet. Pinkie also seemed to notice this, her bounces going from hyper to sluggish.

"So...how was the day at Sweet Apple Acres today?" Twilight started, but winced as Applejack's gaze turned solemn and seemed to be pulled to the ground. A moment of silence passed before she forced herself to look up again at her friends.

"There were ah lot mah trees than ah thought there would be tahday. Big Mac had other things tah do so he couldn't help..."

"What about Applebloom? She's old enough the start."

Applejack sighed, reached a hoof upward and leaning her hat down to hide her blush and guilty look from the others. "Ah know it's just...ah still worry for her."

"Oh! This is like the time where you, Granny Smith, and Big Mac decided to leave her alone for the day and then you got too worried and left to go back just to find out she was perfectly fine on her own! And then right after that you had to save her from that weird tiger-goaty-snake thingy that came from the dar-" Twilight quickly stuck a hoof towards Pinkie, angrily gesturing for her to be quiet. Almost instantly the mare shut her mouth, still smiling with pure glee.

"Never mind about her, you know Pinkie. Anyway, how many trees too many did you exactly buck?" Twilight scanned her friend again, and her eyes widened when she realized what came out of bucking too many trees for Applejack:

Dark bruises covered her back legs, and small scraps laced around her hooves. Her legs shuffled very moment, and Twilight could know see the flashes of pain appearing on her face.

Better not push her until she's willing to talk. Applejack is it bit more sensitive to what she can and can't do than Pinkie.

"Ah think ahbout...286 too many? Ah'm not really sure. Ah lost count after ah while." Her sheepish smile said everything. But it was Pinkie who reacted. The mare actually lost her balance and toppled over onto the unsuspecting Applejack, causing her to shriek in surprise. Soon both ponies were in a tangled mess on the floor, and Twilight moved to untangle them when another knock rang through.

"Y'all go get it, Twi. We'll get out of thas before yah know it." Nodding in understanding Twilight turned again and focused her magic on the door, opening it up to reveal Rarity, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash.

"Pardon for my rudeness Darling, but do you have your brush on your upstairs? Never mind, I'll find it myself. Thank You!" Rarity sped on by, vanishing silently up the stairs with a speed comparable to Pinkie Pie.

Fluttershy followed in after, offering a smile of apology to Twilight. "Sorry. Rarity had a very rough day at work. Her mane's very shriveled and to her dismay she had to give her brush to a customer to apologize for being so late on their order. Oh! I hope she won't be angry that I told you that..."

"It's alright Fluttershy. She won't mind. I mean, that's what friends are for, right? To help each other." A small sigh of relief cause Twilight to giggle lightly and open the door further to let the two pegasi in. Fluttershy seemed to be perfectly fine, but Rainbow Dash looked awful.

For one thing, she wasn't flying. Not even a hover. The brash pegasus was just trudging on the ground, her eyes seemingly glued to the floor.

"You okay Dashie? Why aren't you flying. You arrreee Rainbow Dash...riigghhtt??" Pinkie Pie had suddenly appeared, and was now squinting at Rainbow Dash, as if the pegasi's face would fall off at any moment to reveal an imposter. But the mare suddenly jumped back as Rainbow glared straight back at her with full anger.

"Why would I be fine, Pinkie!?! I can't even fly!!" Her wings were raised in anger, but were snapped shut again as slices of pain came flying through them. Pinkie also seemed to lose her composure for a moment, her eyes glistening with tears and mane started to flatten, but it was quickly lost again, gone as if nothing happened.

Did everypony have a terrible day!?! What's going on?

"Ah! There we go! Alright, I'm better. Now, what we'll we be doing this lovely evening, my dear Twilight?" Rarity froze on her way down, staring confusingly at the scene before her. Twilight seat-dropped as she looked up at her friend, smiling warmly before gesturing for Rarity to come down. Carefully the white unicorn trotted down and came to a stop.

"What happened? And where is Applejack?" Pinkie suddenly froze, staring at the hallway door guiltily before grinning widely.

"I have NO idea, Rarity!"

"PINKIE PIE!!"

Applejack's familiar accent tore through the walls, freezing everyone in the room once again as heavy stomping came from upstairs, slowly becoming closer and closer with each passing second. After a minute of waiting, Applejack finally game into view, her breaths ragged and short and her mane matted down with sweat.

"How," The word came out almost silent, but so much force was packed behind it that Pinkie's ears flattened themselves tightly against her skull. "Were y'all able to untangle yourself from that mess, but somehow Ah got stuck tangled with mah own hooves!?!" All was silent for a moment, until Rainbow's voice seemed to break the awkward silence surrounding them.

"I don't know about you guys, but how this days been going, I find this pretty funny."

"Funny!?!" Applejack's eyes burned with fury, but Rainbow didn't notice as she laughed like crazy. "Ah was tangled in mah own hooves!! And what's worse, ah already had the worst day of man life! Ah have bruises all over mah legs, and the scratches rip open every time I move! I can bet mah day was worse than any of y'all's!!"

"No offense Dear Applejack," Rarity had now spoken up, a light-hearted laugh bubbling it's way up her throat.

"But my day was far more worse than yours."

Author's Note:

And finally I stop being a huge bum to everyone and write another chapter. I hope this one doesn't disappoint anyone. I spent over a long time getting this part organized and written, so I hope you all enjoy!