• Published 24th Aug 2014
  • 2,823 Views, 75 Comments

Equestria Noir Season 2 Case 14 "Hearts of a Feather" - Jacoboby1



Private travels to New Orneigh upon hearing of his Maternal Grandfather being sick. Can Private protect his mother's family from a sinister plot?

  • ...
1
 75
 2,823

Chapter 1 "Blue Letter"

Equestria Noir 2
Case 14
“Hearts of a Feather”
By Jacoboby1
Chapter 1
“Blue Letter”

Perspective: Private Eye

A cold hospital…

Everypony talking…

“Did you hear about that boy’s mother?”

“Yeah, heard she had a foal that didn’t turn out right.”

“It’s a tragedy, to be at that age without a mother…”

“You kidding me? Kid that rich could just buy a new one.”

“Shut up! Do you realize what may be going through his head right now?”

“Why should I care? Just means we have to deal with the foal.”

“The father barely even looked at it…”

“Is it true what they said about the spine?”

“Completely unfixable, even with magic. He’s lucky to be breathing at this point…”

“What’s going to happen to him…?”

“Well, we made some options to the father…”

“You know that’s illegal.”

“Come on, the last thing we need is one more rich brat in the world, especially some hybrid chicken…”

Chicken...Hybrid...names...just names….

Why...Why….WHY DID SHE HAVE TO DIE!?

____________________________________________________

My face met the floor and the dream faded from my mind. I was facedown on the floor of my bedroom, judging by that fact, I probably tossed and turned again. I sighed and tried to get back on my hooves, only to shield my eyes as dawn’s light broke into them.

“Private…?” I heard Twilight say as she rose from the bed, her wings stretching themselves. Her violet eyes looked on me with concern. “Bad dream again?”

“Something like that,” I said, dusting myself off and beginning the stretching process. “I’m fine though.”

“You always say that.” She said with a shake of her head. “It’s about that night isn’t it?”

I blinked, and the said with a sigh, “What gave it away?”

“Private, we’ve shared a bed for the last few months, and on top of that we’ve been married just as long, you can’t exactly hide things from me,” She replied with a bit of a smile.

That warmed up my day a little bit. I climbed back on the bed, and planted a kiss on her nose. She let out a small giggle at that, that made me half want to pounce on her buuuut…

“Go and get your brother up big guy.” Twilight said, poking my chest with a hoof.

“Alright, I’m going.” I said, heading for the doorway. I looked back, “But don’t get too cozy, I just may help you with a preening job…”

*SPROING!*

“Dangit Private!” She yelled, trying to tame her now stiffly erect wings. I tried not to grin too much. It will be a long while before she’s used to those wings. I went out the door as Twilight yelled up a storm trying to get her wings flattened again. I moved down the hallway to see about rousing my little brother.

I opened the door to Tailspin’s room. Tailspin’s bedroom was your typical Pegasi colt’s room. Blue wallpaper, a writing desk for his many projects, a bunch of toys littered everywhere and all sorts of Wonderbolts posters on the wall.

My little brother himself was snug in his cloud covered blankets. Right now...he was hugging his pillow and...well….

“Scootaloo…” He said to himself in his sleep, “I saved you from the evil changelings...now let’s live together forever….” He then proceeded to kiss said pillow.

I figured this would happen sooner or later, he’s almost twelve after all…

And now I was gonna do something oh so evil…

“Oh yes Tailspin…” I said, doing my best imitation of young Scootaloo’s voice. “Let’s get married, fly off into the sunset and have lots of little colts…”

“That sounds great Scootaloo…” He mumbled, another kiss.

“And we can even invite your brilliant, handsome brother too!”

“Wait….” Tailspin said, his sapphire eyes opening. He looked up at me, then at his wet pillow, then his face turned as red as one of AJ’s apples.

“So, you saved her from Changelings this time?” I teased.

“That’s not funny Private!” He yelled, throwing his pillow at me the best he could.

I laughed, dodging the pillow.

Tailspin proceeded to grab his other pillow. “I’m gonna make you pay for that!”

“Let’s see you try!” I yelled, grabbing the fallen pillow.

We then proceeded with the time honored tradition of early morning pillow fight.

_______________________________________________________________

Perspective: Twilight


Ah, the early morning pillow fight. It wouldn’t be a proper morning in the Sparkle-Eye household without it. Thank the stars I finally got my wings to behave, and Tailspin’s keeping Private occupied so I can get up, and get some morning chores done. Even so, why must the males of so many species resolve their issues with conflict? Is it some manner of hormonal drive, or just the need to one-up the other? I wonder if there has a study on typical male behavior, because it may help me understand, better, as Tailspin grows up. Good preparation for when we have children of our own, I presume. After all, we may decide to have more than one foal, and it might be nice to have both a little filly and a colt.

Of course, there’s also...what we have to do to have a….

No, wings, don’t you-

*SPROING!*

ARRRGH!

*siiiiiiiiigh*

“This is just not a good morning,” I grumbled as I worked on getting the table cleared. That was before I heard a thump at the door.

That’s right, not a knock a Thump!

I went to the door to find a familiar sight. Everypony’s favorite wall-eyed Pegasus, Derpy, was on the ground, seeing crooked stars.

I tried not to laugh at her antics, and instead helped her up, saying, “Derpy, one of these days you should really consider glasses.”

“Oh I’m okay, Twilight,” She replied. “It’ll take more than that to pop this bubble pony!”

That, I did laugh a little at. “Anyways,” I went on, “what made you come to see us so early?”

“I got a letter for Private, we just got it last night, it’s really urgent!” She said, reaching into her mailbag and, after a couple of attempts, managed to pull out an envelope. I took it in my magic and watched her salute. “I’m off to deliver good mail and good muffins!” She yelled and flew into the air…

Just to run into Rainbow Dash….

“Geez Derpy!” Rainbow yelled after her as the mailpony flew off.

I just chuckled and went back inside. I wonder what letter could possibly be so urgent it had to be delivered this early.

I looked at the address and...huh?

Blue Heart
1124 East Cage Juncture
New Orneigh, Equestria 70112

Who the heck is Blue Heart?

I went into the kitchen to find Private working on serving breakfast, I fought the urge to drool at my husband’s cooking and tapped him on his shoulder with a hoof.

He turned and smiled at me, “If you’re hoping to get the haybacon early it’s gonna cost yo-” I put a hoof on his lips, a serious look in my face.

“Private,” I said to him, quietly. “Do you know a guy named Blue Heart?”

His silver eyes widened and he almost dropped the pan in his magic. He recovered himself and looked to the letter. “It, it can’t be…” He swiped it from my magic and turned off the oven, going into the hallway to read it...I followed.

______________________________________________________

Dear Preventus,

I know you haven’t heard from me in, by Celestia has it been over a decade already? There is so much I want to say, I honestly half expect you to throw this letter into the fire. But, please read this out. I’ve lived a good many years on Celestia’s green earth. I’ve seen a many number of things, and got to raise seven wonderful children, including your mother. I said a many number of things I regret to her, in fact, turning my back on her was the biggest mistake of my life. I want to make things right for you and Tailspin…

The truth is, I’m not doin so good, the doctors are calling it pneumonia, and I may be sick for a long time. Please, come down to New Orneighs so that we can make things right again...I want to see my grandchildren...please…

Always Swingin,

Blue
_______________________________________________________________

“So, he’s your maternal Grandfather.” I said as Private and I sat on the couch together, Tailspin was busy eating in the kitchen.

Though Private looked like he lost his appetite. “Yeah,” He said, “After mom married Dad, they and the rest of the Heart Clan all moved down to New Orneigh.”

“I don’t think you ever told me about him,” I said, “What’s he like?”

“He was a jazz singer,” He said, smiling a little. “I used to remember mom dragging me to family reunions. I would beg him to let me listen to him play his saxophone, he would always talk like he never left the stage.”

“Did he oppose your parents marriage too?” I asked.

He shook his head. “No, at least not up front. He actually was more than happy Mom fell in love with Dad when he found out. But, the rest of the family pressured him into basically cutting mom off.”

“Oh my…” I said, covering my mouth with a hoof. How...how could they…?

“They would visit for some family reunions, I remember them being a lot of fun...until….” His eyes moved towards Tailspin, who was digging into his pancakes.

“Oh…” I said, putting a hoof on his shoulder. “Private, I really think you should take him up on his offer. If he really is sick, then don’t you think it’s right to let him see his grandson?”

He sighed, and then looked at me, “I could never win to you can I?”

I smirked, “Well...if you really want to make me happy…”

“Twilight, for the last time I’m not wearing the beard.” He deadpanned.

“Oh come on!” I whined.

“Hey, if you won’t dress up as a skimpy galactic princess turned Huttle slave, I’m not going to dress up as some hundred year old wizard.” He said, crossing his arms.

“Fiiine,” I huffed, and gave him a playful shove. “But we still gotta go to New Orneigh.”

“I’ll get packing then…” He said, and then yelled to the kitchen. “Hey Tailspin! Wanna come along to New Orneigh?”

“To newwhatnow?” Tailspin replied.

__________________________________________________________

Perspective: Private Eye

Why is it so HOT?! I swear as we rode south, it just kept getting hotter and hotter… And this humidity! I feel so… sticky… How can ponies live like this?!

I looked outside, and could see the city. We were going past a lower-end neighborhood of wooden houses, painted all sorts of different colors, with nice front porches, and bench swings hanging from chains. I could see ponies out and about, a lively market going on in a market square. A nice mix of all three tribes, and even some zebra mixed in for flavor. The smaller houses gave way to bigger ones, with lush, fenced-in, yards.

Upper class ponies clopped about in light summertime fabrics, but still looking dapper. Where the poorer neighborhood had ponies chatting, and just getting along, the upper-class one ponies who nodded, and gave their neighbors the time of day like they were royalty. Then we came to the city itself. Cobblestone streets, with brick buildings that had elegant wrought iron balconies, and were pretty close together, along with some more modern buildings. None of Ponyville’s stucco and thatch, though. Both materials would not do well in a humid environment, like this. And when I say humid, I mean it. Between the Gulf of Mexhayco, and Whinnysippi River that runs through, there was a lot of water in the air.

The train station was downtown, in a section that seemed to mix a deep southern style of architecture often called “Antebellum” with that often seen in the more historic parts of Paris Prance. More brick, and stone, everything looking cultured, stately, and elegant. There were carefully cultivated green spaces, with flowering trees shading the street. Some of the houses had trellises, a sturdy-looking vine growing on them, with light purple flowers hanging from them in bunches like grapes.

We made our way towards one of the older, larger buildings. We could hear voices in the backyard as we all walked/rolled up to the home.

“Geez, why did it have to be so humid?” Tailspin said, wiping his brow. “I swear Celestia is trying to melt us…”

“Just relax, we’re here,” I said, walking around the home towards the backyard.

Twilight followed, pushing Tailspin in his chair with her magic. “Private, are you sure it’s okay for us to just show up like this? Shouldn’t we knock?”

“Trust me, the real action is in the backyard, if you know anything about Hearts…”

I opened the yard door to the backyard. At least several dozen pegasi of various ages and sizes were all chattering with one another. Some were eating passed out food, others trying to ring in the many foals playing in the area. Twilight and Tailspin were stunned at the sheer number of the guests.

“Aj’s family size with Pinkie’s penchant for get togethers…” I said, gesturing to the crowd. “These...are the Hearts.”