• Published 24th Aug 2014
  • 3,650 Views, 23 Comments

Flashes of Insight - jaimeastorga2000



A collection of responses to Thirty Minute Ponies prompts.

  • ...
1
 23
 3,650

Techno Climb (#571)

Author's Note:

The Prompt: Technological innovation in Equestria.

Alternate Prompt: After the end.

Twilight Sparkle silently sat in the middle of five lumbering metal cylinders, each of which contained the frozen corpse of what had been one of her closest friends.

No, thought Twilight. Not corpses. Not while there's still a chance to bring them back.

"I miss them, Twilight," said a muffled voice to her right. Wrapped from spines to claws in insulating layers, Spike had some trouble speaking and moving. Twilight turned to look at the one constant in her long life; a life which had just gotten a lot longer.

"I miss them too, Spike," she whispered, bending her head down to nuzzle the outermost layer of cloth which Spike sat under. "But don't worry, we'll see them again. We'll see them all again. Not just the girls, but Applebloom, Sweetie Belle, Scotaloo, Shining Armor... they're all going to be fine one day. It's all part of the plan."

"Could you... could you repeat the plan to me again?" said Spike, and even though she had difficulty seeing his eyes, it was evident from his voice that tears were in his eyes. "I know you've explained it many times already, but it makes me feel so hopeful when you..."

"Oh, Spike!" Twilight hugged her number one assistant, her hooves almost wrapping all the way around his added bulk. "Of course I can, I'll tell it to you however many times you want to hear it." Twilight cleared her throat, and promptly fell back into the familiar rhythm of a lecture.

"The plan is for us to bunker down for a while. You, me, Luna, Celestia, Cadence... we're all immortal, or very long-lived in your case. We can all afford to wait a couple of centuries for the ecosystem to recover from the damage the recent impact event caused."

"But our friends... they are not immortal. And neither is most of Equestria. Even if they were, there simply aren't enough resources to sustain them in this bunker. So they'll sleep. They'll sleep until one day when we can awaken them. Awaken them to a restored world."

"I won't pretend it'll be easy, Spike. The five of us will need to learn the entire collective technological knowledge of our civilization, and we are going to have to rebuild its infrastructure from scratch. Even then, our society at its most advanced could not have revived them. So we'll need to research, and develop, and advance, just the five of us, until we finally hit on something that works."

"But don't worry. I have faith in us. And our friends had faith in us, too. They went into their dreamless sleep hoping to wake up one day... and we're going to honor that trust Spike, even if it takes us one thousand years," Twilight finished, before levitating the dragon onto her back and slowly trotting out of the cryochambers. "Now come on, you don't want to be late for your multivariate calculus lessons. We all have to master the basics before we can decide how to specialize!"