• Published 20th Dec 2017
  • 1,529 Views, 32 Comments

Just Like Us - syrograph



Being a princess in Equestria is tiring work, and after many long years of rule, they've seen absolutely everything. Right? - [A series of short stories]

  • ...
1
 32
 1,529

Healthy Living

Author's Note:

Hey so I've been completely inactive here for over 4 years. Time flies, damn.

Anyway, this was written during the break between season 3 and 4, so everything that happened with Tirek etc etc onwards never happened. Pls forgive.

I found this chapter languishing in my drafts and decided to do a quick edit. Just Like Us is meant to be a little collection of short stories focusing on the lives of our favourite princesses. This will be most notably Celestia, Luna and Twilight, but I may also do some stuff with Cadence in future. Any future stories will be published as chapters in this same submission, so make sure you keep track.

Just in case I decide I'm still stuck in Brony Hell and want to write more horse words.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy.

Immortality; it's one thing that sets an alicorn princess apart from other Equestrians, amongst many others. Some might say that living forever is a curse, but the daily life of a monarch is so packed full of duties that the thought barely crosses one's mind. Of course, a good leader's strenuous job is never through, so their value is incalculable. That isn't to say that the life of a princess isn't without its perks; the adoration of one's people is payment enough for their efforts, and a castle complete with a host of staff is certainly a welcome bonus.

Unfortunately, one cannot take their castle and their staff with them on a visit to see one's faithful student. It would be far too cumbersome to try.

Princess Celestia dismounted her chariot, stepping down on to the lush grass. The cooling dew felt wonderful against her pasterns, forming tiny beads on her golden shoes. Twilight Sparkle had been waiting for almost an hour, fretting about her friends and the untidy state of the town. “Princess Celestia. Welcome!” She trotted up before bowing gracefully. “I hope you had a pleasant trip.”

“Please, Princess Twilight Sparkle, call me Celestia.” Her usual calm demeanour hid the sly sarcasm. Twilight grinned sheepishly. “And yes, thank you. I had a most enjoyable journey.” She turned to her entourage and nodded in appreciation.

“Sorry Prin- uhm- Celestia.” She awkwardly dug at the ground, giggling nervously. “I just got used to calling you by your title and-”

“There is no need to apologise, Twilight.” Celestia sighed, putting a hoof on the new Princess' shoulder. “Now, where are your friends? I thought they would be here with you.”

“They are here with-” Twilight turned, realising that she was wrong. “- uh, well, they were here a moment ago.”

“Where did they disappear to; do you know?” Celestia peered about, scanning the nearby trees and bushes for signs of mischievous mares. “Are they hiding?”

“No, why would they be hiding? They're not hiding from you or me or anypony.” An awkward titter followed as Twilight tried to quell the panic rising in her gut. Celestia suppressed a chuckle as she saw Twilight spread her wings. She obviously still hadn't grown accustomed to them. It reminded her briefly of her early years.

“Would they want to surprise us? Perhaps Pinkie Pie has organised a party in honour of my arrival.”

“Y-yeah, that'll be it!” Twilight started pacing, rambling on to herself. “Or maybe they're trying to embarrass me or make me look bad in front of the Princess. Maybe they're bored and went to do something else, but that's silly; they've only been here for a few minutes and-”

“Twilight!” They looked up as Rainbow Dash soared overhead, stopping and hovering above them both.

“Rainbow Dash! Where have you been? Where is everyone else?” Twilight shouted, the piercing high-end making Celestia wince.

“Rarity's sick!” Rainbow had barely even noticed the ruler, too worried about her friend.

“She's what?” Twilight flapped her wings and left the ground as the tension got too much.

“Pinkie Pie and Applejack took her back to Carousel Boutique, but we need your help.”

“Where's Fluttershy?” Twilight asked as she shuffled her wings back in to place.

“She's gone to her cottage to look for some medicine. You gotta help us, Twi; it was so sudden! We don't know what's up with her!” Rainbow shot off before she could reply, worried for her friend's safety.

“I'm so sorry about this, Princess.” Twilight looked up to her mentor.

“Do not fear, Twilight. We must go to her aid. She needs your help.”

“But what about the opening?”

“I can declare the new railway station open once we ensure that this case is closed. Your friends and my subjects are far more important than a ceremonial ribbon.” Celestia set off with Twilight in tow, galloping towards the boutique.

“Celestia, wait! What if it's contagious?”

“Worry not, Twilight! I never take ill.” Twilight marvelled at the grace in her strides; even in desperate times such as these, she still managed to make it seem effortless. Thousands of years old, yet looking no older than twenty. Of course she never took ill.

~~~~~~~

When they arrived at Rarity's, Twilight burst in through the front door. Celestia ducked under the frame and followed her inside. “Rarity! Are you okay?” Twilight called up the stairs, walking up to the bedroom. A dramatic, wordless wail replied. She opened the bedroom door, catching sight of her friend flailing about on her bed. Applejack, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie were gathered around, trying to calm her down.

“Now hold on Rarity, ya can't keep on like that. It'll do y'no good!” Applejack hadn't spotted the two alicorns stepping in to the room. She was far too busy trying to hold her friend down.

“Yeah, if you keep on rolling about like that, you might open a rift in space-time and then life as we know it will cease to exist and then–” Pinkie gasped, “–I'll have to organise an End Of The World Party! An Apocalypse Party! The Apartylypse!”

Rainbow gritted her teeth. “Pinkie Pie!”

“Y'ain't exactly helpin'!” Applejack snapped.

“Girls, stop! Let her go!” The three ponies jumped back, leaving Rarity to wriggle about amongst the blankets. “She needs some space.” Twilight trotted over.

“Didn't see ya there, Twilight.” Applejack collected herself, slightly startled by Twilight's introduction.

“Heya, Twilight! Hi, Princess Celestia!” Pinkie beamed, hopping up and down. Applejack peered about nervously, hoping that Celestia had not seen her little outburst.

Celestia nodded in greeting. “What seems to be wrong with Rarity?” She stepped up next to the bed, looking down at the wailing, groaning mare.

“I'm not entirely sure.” Twilight put a front knee against Rarity's forehead. “She's burning up.” Taking a quick look at her eyes and nose, Twilight came to an uncertain conclusion. “I'm still not sure, but I would guess it could be a case of... Feather Flu?”

Applejack raised an eyebrow. “But she ain't a pegasus, Twilight.”

“I know that, AJ. it doesn't make sense! I would say it's some variant of The Shakes, but her eyes wouldn't be all puffy like that. The only other illness with all of these symptoms is...” Twilight gasped, “... Filly Fever.”

“Don't that just affect the young'ns?”

“Mostly, yes. I remember when I had it.” Twilight shuddered. “Thankfully it wasn't for more than a few days, and you normally only get it once.”

“F-Filly Fever?” Rarity croaked, holding back on the thrashing for just a moment.

“I need you to think carefully, Rarity.” Twilight leaned over her friend and looked her in the eyes. “Can you do that for me?” She had to be sure, since the fever could potentially leave a pony's mental faculties severely impaired. Rarity groaned and nodded in response.

“I'll... try.”

“I need you to think back to when you were young. Did you ever have Filly Fever?”

“I... don't think... so.” Rarity whined, putting a foreleg against her head and arching her back. “Is it... serious?”

“It can be, in mares. You need to rest for a few days; you've got to stay in bed and drink plenty of water. Fluttershy will be here shortly with some medicine.” Twilight patted her on the shoulder to reassure her. “You'll be fine; it'll be pretty bad for a while, but you'll be okay.”

“Why, oh why!” Rarity dredged up enough energy to exercise her dramatic side. “Why must us poor girls... suffer with this... horrific disease?”

“We got it lucky, sugar cube. Have y'all ever heard o' Colt Convulsions? Go talk to Big Macintosh an' he'll set ya right.”

“It can't be... as... horrible as... this!” Rarity rolled on to her side, slumped pitifully like a bride left at the altar.

“Lemme put it this way: Mac had t'sit on a bag of ice fer a week. We didn't think he'd ever walk straight again.” The unicorn was silenced. Applejack caught a glimpse of Celestia's grimacing face. “Sorry there, Princess.”

“No, no, it's quite all right.” She leaned over the bed as Twilight stepped back. “Fear not, Rarity. Your friends will see you through this illness. I hope you get better soon.”

“Th-thank you, Your... Highnng-” The sound Rarity then produced was somewhere between a cough, a sneeze and a scream. Celestia quickly backed away to avoid the fountain of spittle that shot forth.

“Well, it seems that... you all have this under control. I must be going. I have a ribbon to cut.” She bid them a kind farewell and stepped out of the room. Twilight followed.

“See you later, girls. Get better soon, Rarity.”

~~~~~~~

Arriving back at Canterlot Castle, Celestia addressed the pegasi who drew her chariot. “Thank you for your patience, sirs. Something happened in Ponyville and I had to deal with it before I could fulfil my duty.”

“It was no problem, Your Highness.” the lead stallion bowed his head.

“You are relieved of guard duty for tonight, I shall organise replacements. Then I shall arrange for the kitchen staff to prepare a feast for you.”

“That is very kind of you, Your Highness. Thank you so very much.”

“Have a pleasant evening, and don't do anything that I wouldn't.” Celestia tried her hardest not to wink as she spoke, hoping that the invitation to drink far too much wasn't too subtle.

“Thank you, Your Highness.” The stallions all bowed before taking the chariot away to dismount.

No longer observed, Celestia let her smile droop, her head feeling rather sore. She heaved a sigh and set off for her quarters; the Sun would need taking down in preparation for Luna to take over, but first she needed to freshen up.

In her royal en-suite, which was more like a glistening ballroom, she softly walked towards one of the flawless mirrors. She opened her mouth and checked her teeth; perfect and white, as always. Taking a closer look at her eyes, she saw nothing out of the ordinary. How the headache had started, she had no idea. “Strange.” She removed her golden shoes, chest-plate and crown, making her way to the pool-sized bath. The water had already been run in anticipation of her arrival and it was still at the perfect temperature. She breathed the steam rising from the surface as she gracefully slid in. “Must just be the summer heat, today.” She thought nothing more of it and spent the rest of the evening soaking, closing her eyes and settling down peacefully.

~~~~~~~

“Princess. Princess. Princess!”

Celestia woke with a start, splashing in the warm water. “I'm up, I'm up...” she grumbled.

“Your Highness, I'm sorry to interrupt your bath, but it appears that you may have forgotten to lower the Sun. Your sister is becoming most irate.” One of the royal messengers was hovering in the doorway.

“What is the time?” She stretched out her forelegs, yawning.

“Well, it's nearly midnight.”

Celestia leapt up in alarm, sloshing water over the edge of the bath. “I must set about my duties at once! I have failed my subjects!” She slumped back down as a stabbing pain drove through her skull. She yelped at the unfamiliar ailment, clutching her head in her front hooves.

“Princess!” The messenger flew over, grabbing her shoulders to steady her. “Are you okay?”

“I am... fine. Let me stand.” The messenger backed off, letting Celestia slowly haul herself out on to the tiled floor. It was slippery, but she kept her footing. “Tell Luna that I shall be out momentarily; I am so very ashamed.” She lifted a towel from the rail, floating it over in a magical haze.

“Your Highness?” the messenger ventured.

“Yes?”

“Good luck.” The messenger flitted away, disappearing through her bedroom door.

“I am going to need it.”

~~~~~~~

“And just what time doth thou call this, sister?” Luna bellowed, jabbing a hoof into Celestia's chest. “We demand an explanation! My glorious night shall not be hindered further by irresponsible inaction!”

“I am truly sorry, Luna. I promise this will not happen again.” Celestia was crestfallen, not having seen Luna this angry for many years.

“This is outrageous! How could such a thing happen in the first place? What could possibly be so important that thou forgot to lower the Sun? An emergency perhaps?”

“I...” She stopped, taking a deep breath. “... I fell asleep.” Luna's stunned silence momentarily masked the bubbling rage fighting to break free.

“Thou... fell asleep. Asleep?” Luna pressed her nose against her sister's, staring her down. Despite her shorter stature, she somehow loomed over Celestia. “Pray-tell, why didst thou feel the mighty need for rest so early in the day?” She didn't believe it.

“I... don't know, Luna.” Celestia looked away, but Luna followed her gaze, intercepting her eye-line.

“Well, perhaps, dearest sister, thy priority tonight should be a well-deserved slumber. Thou doth certainly work so hard at fulfilling thy duties!” The sarcasm bit hard, and Celestia saw red.

“Enough!” Celestia yelled, shoving her sister away with her front hooves. Her temper was unusually short; it surprised her that she had lashed out so fiercely. Luna had stumbled backwards, knocking down one of her guards. A stunned expression adorned her face. The pounding ache in Celestia's head was almost too much to bear; a severe pressure threatened to dislodge her eyes. “S-sister, I am sorry.”

“Just lower the Sun so We can get this over with.” Luna stormed away, huffing indignantly.

“I'm sorry.” Celestia repeated, yet nopony heard.

She sat on her flanks, sighing with agitation; she could barely focus, but she managed to call on the power to carry out her task. It took all of her effort, but she eventually managed to drag the Sun below the horizon. Panting, she shakily got to her feet and made her way inside. Her head felt worse than ever, splitting down the middle. Barely able to concentrate, she staggered back to her room and retired to bed.

~~~~~~~

“Oh, for Harmony's sake, Sister!” Luna yelled as she bucked the doors open. “Sleeping again? First thou forget to lower the Sun, then thou neglect to raise it!” She stomped over to her bedside. The room was humid, hot and stuffy; she wrinkled her nose. “And would it kill you to open a window?” Luna's decorum vanished as she made her way to the panes and slid one open. “Celestia?” She turned around to see her sister clutching at her bedsheets, shivering uncontrollably.

“L-Luna... is that... you?” A spluttering cough followed.

“Celestia, good heavens! Art thou sick?” She was by her side in a flash.

“N-no, I can't possibly... be... si-” Celestia wretched, blocking her lips with a hoof. Her eyes rolled back, lids puffy and discoloured.

“Oh my!” Luna checked her temperature. She was burning up. “We shall fetch the apothecary at once, and perhaps a pail!” Luna galloped away.

When she returned, a whole retinue of medical professionals followed. “Fear not, sister! We have returned with aid!”

“Your Highness!” the castle pharmacist called out. A group of worried doctors gathered around, each trying to gauge the severity of the problem. The unfortunate fact about the castle physicians was that they all wanted to be the one with the miracle cure for an ailing Princess. Their voices melded in to one bustling, roiling wall of noise as they fell over themselves trying to administer a variety of tests. “Please, fillies and gentlecolts, step back. Give the Princess some room to breathe.” The pharmacist's timid protest went unheard. Celestia was becoming more and more stressed with every second.

“Remove thyselves from my sister, thou raucous swine!” Luna's bellowing rattled the windows. A singular crack snaked its way up through the largest pane of glass, producing the only sound in the whole room. The stunned doctors stared with wide eyes before the window fell from its frame, shattering upon the marble floor. The loud crash marked their immediate departure from Celestia's bedside. “You there, Apothecary! What ails my sister?”

The jittery stallion replaced his glasses on the bridge of his nose. “Well, I would say that it is some kind of flu, perhaps. It could feasibly be Feather Flu, but–”

“F-Filly...” Celestia croaked.

“Filly?” Luna wasn't sure if she heard correctly. “Did you just say 'filly'?”

“I believe she did.” The pharmacist leant in for a closer look. “Hmm... Discolouration around the eyes, some puffiness; blocked nose... Your Highness, do you have a strong headache?”

“Y-y-y...” She gave up on words and simply nodded.

“Just one more question: have you been-” A violent explosion of mucous answered his pending question. Thankfully his glasses caught the worst of it. “- sneezing.” He produced a tissue, swabbing his eye-wear and removing it with his magic. “I thought as much.” The pharmacist turned to Luna. “The Princess has a nasty case of Filly Fever.”

“What? That cannot be right, surely. Filly Fever doth only affects young girls, is it not true?”

“On the contrary, Your Highness; it is highly contagious to any female of any age, but most only contract it once.”

“I think at more than a thousand years old, my sister would have caught Filly Fever before now.”

“Well, that is my diagnosis; flu season has passed and this year's strain of Feather Flu was not particularly virulent. The only possible answer is that Princess Celestia is sick with Filly Fever.”

Celestia coughed, trying to sit up. “I... can't be sick... I cannot afford to...” A quick-thinking doctor managed to save the monarch some embarrassment by covering her muzzle with a bucket. A wet, gargling sound most unbecoming of her grace rattled around the steel. When she caught a break, she tried again to reason with the sickness. “... I can't... be...” Another wave of violent heaving left her too exhausted to continue. She fell back and gasped for air.

“Rest, dear sister; I am sure our loyal subjects will understand your plight." Luna reassured her as she poured a glass of water from the pitcher on her night-stand. "For now, they shall have to welcome the night, no matter how long.”

~~~~~~~

The second day of midnight dragged on; ponies the world over received news of Princess Celestia's illness, giving rise to many rumours. For those in Fillydelphia, Discord was the culprit; for her subjects in Manehattan, it was Crysalis; those in Canterlot heard tell of immortals being far more mortal than they had hoped. All across Equestria they worried and panicked, but nopony in the universe was having a worse time than The Apple Family.

“Ah'm tellin' y'all, we gotta find a way t'fix all this!” Applejack paced up and down in the living room, candlelight filling in during the Sun's absence. “The apple trees have been in the dark now for nearly two whole day, an' the bees ain't out there pollinatin' the flowers. They won't give enough fruit for the whole season if this ain't sorted now!”

“Eeyup.” Big Macintosh nodded.

“Well whut're we gonna do?” Granny Smith squawked. “Celestia ain't workin' at raisin' it! There ain't no sunshine when she's gone.”

“Ah know, Granny, but we gotta find a way. That messanger pegasus told us t'jus' sit tight, but we can't just sit here and do nothin'!” Applejack slumped on to the floor, sitting on her haunches. “Who knows how long we'll be in the dark for?”

“Whaddabout that nice young wingedy yoo-nee-corn y'all been talkin' to? Oh tarnation, what's her name again?”

“You mean Twilight, Granny?”

“Eeyup; she's a smarty lil' filly ain't she? Surely she'll know what t'do.”

“Eeyup.” Mac added.

“Suppose Ah should go an' see her. Why didn't Ah think o'that before?”

Beside her, the voice of the youngest Apple tugged at her ear. “Because y'all've done nothin' but pace since the Sun didn't come up. Stop with yer panickin' and go see Twilight.” Applebloom's interjection was unwelcome, but Applejack knew she was right.

“Ah guess...”

“Go find her; Ah'm sure she's already workin' on some kinda solution. Plus, she's a princess now! Maybe she knows what's goin' on at the castle.”

Big Macintosh pondered his contribution, humming thoughtfully before reaching a sound conclusion. “Eeyup!”

~~~~~~~

The Golden Oaks Library was a hive of activity. Twilight was hard at work flipping through book after book, aided by her faithful assistant. “I dunno, Twilight; you already said that there isn't a cure for Filly Fever.” Spike said as he closed yet another book on maladies. “You told Rarity to just wait it out.”

“Yes Spike, but Rarity isn't responsible for the Sun!” Twilight yelled, the stress getting to her. Sweat dripped from her brow, glistening in the candlelight. “We need to make her better somehow, or we'll be in darkness for at least another day, maybe even a week!”

“Didn't you say it just takes a few days to wear off?”

“In younger mares and fillies; it gets worse the older you are. Princess Celestia is much older than any of us! Who knows how long she'll suffer? What if... no.”

“I dunno, Twi; she's also an alicorn.”

“And so am I, but my immune system isn't any better either! Remember?”

“Oh yeah... Feather Flu.” Spike chuckled nervously, finding Twilight's high-strung attitude mildly terrifying. “So, what can we-”

The door burst open, slamming against the wall. “Twilight!”

“Applejack!” Twilight swung around, startled by her sudden entrance. “What's the matter with you? You nearly gave me a heart attack!”

“Twilight, we gotta find out how t'fix this! Ya gotta help!”

“I am trying!” She barked, stomping her hoof. “I have looked through every single book about pony illnesses, twice! There is no cure for Filly Fever! I've got nothing.” She sighed, collapsing in resigned frustration.

“Well, we gotta try somethin' or we're doomed! Sweet Apple Acres ain't farin' too well, since the bees ain't comin' to the orchard cuz it's dark.”

“What can I do? I can't even find a cure for Princess Celestia. How can I help at all?” Twilight groaned, covering her face with her forelegs. Spike stood beside her, patting her on the head.

“Well, you tried everything you could.”

“Shorta raisin' the Sun yerself.” Applejack tried to inject some humour, finding it a little cathartic.

“Raising the Sun myself?” Twilight didn't appear in the mood for merriment.

“Sorry, just a joke.” Applejack pawed at the wooden floor.

“Raise the Sun... That's it!” Twilight jumped up with a beaming smile on her face. “I'll raise the Sun myself!”

“Now, wait a minute, sugarcube; are y'sure that's a good idea?”

“It's probably the only way.” She raced up the stairs and on to her balcony. Applejack and Spike soon joined her.

“But are y'sure y'can do it? I'm not even sure Princess Luna can.”

“I have to try.”

Applejack watched with apprehension as Twilight focused with all her might. Her face screwed up as her horn began to glow brighter and brighter. Her pained grunts and groans showed them just how much effort it was going to take. She bowed her head, as if lifting a huge physical weight, hoisting the glowing orb. There was a green flash, then the sky grew brighter, a canvas painted with many shades of red, purple and gold. “I've... ngh... got it... I can... feel it... It's so heavy!”

Soon, the top of the Sun was visible above the horizon. A small crowd had gathered around the library, drawn by the bright pink radiance emanating from the giant tree. “Look, the Sun's coming up!” Spike yelled, hopping up and down.

“I can't hold it... any... more...” Twilight fell, slumped on her side and breathing heavily. Her whole face was running with sweat. “I... can't... do it.”

The crowd outside the library cheered, stamping their hooves in applause. “Twilight, you can do it!” a familiar voice called up. Applejack peered over the railing; Rarity was stood with a grin on her face, followed by Pinkie, Rainbow and Fluttershy. They made their way up to the balcony, joining their friend.

“R-Rarity, you're okay...” Twilight was relieved to see her back on her feet.

“You said I would be, darling! It's all thanks to Fluttershy, really.” She nodded in thanks to the shy pegasus. Fluttershy smiled.

“I was just doing what any friend would do, I guess.”

“Thanks for looking after her, Fluttershy.” Twilight pulled herself up again, feeling her strength slowly creeping back. “I've been so tied up looking for a solution to this whole mess. I wish I could have helped you too.”

“It is perfectly fine, Twilight.” Rarity waved her off with a hoof. “You simply mustn't fuss over little old me when there's such a big problem to solve.”

“Yes, it was nothing really; just keeping her company while she got some rest. That's all there really is to it.” Rarity was having none of it.

“Don't be so modest, Fluttershy! Your medicine did the trick, I'm certain of it.”

“Oh, yes! You said Fluttershy had some medicine!” Twilight whirled around to Rainbow Dash.

“I did?” Rainbow awkwardly brushed her mane behind her head.

“Yes, you did! So, what was the medicine, Fluttershy?” Twilight's excited smile faded when her friend didn't respond. “Fluttershy?”

“I don't know if I should say.”

“Well, we need to get the Princess better as soon as we can. If you can help, please tell us what was in that medicine! The fate of Equestria hangs in the balance.”

Fluttershy continued to evade them.

“For pity's sake girl, spit it out!” Applejack barked. This was no time to beat around the bush.

“It's nothing, really...”

“No, this is something, Fluttershy!” Twilight yelled. “Don't be so mod-”

“No, you don't understand! It's nothing! The medicine is nothing.”

“What?” Rarity shrieked. “All that time, you were giving me that wonderful elixir, and it was just...”

“Soup.”

“...Soup?”

“I remember reading something about how we can fool ourselves in to feeling better, but only if we don't suspect it's a trick.”

“I don't follow.” said Rarity.

“Please don't hate me.” Fluttershy scratched at the balcony, hiding behind her mane.

“What? We don't hate you; Rarity got better didn't she?” Rainbow cut in, putting a hoof on her shoulder.

“I... guess so.”

“The Placebo Effect.” Twilight blurted out. “Of course! It's so simple now. Fluttershy, could you head to Canterlot and see to Princess Celestia for me? I am sure your kindness will go a long way, if only to comfort her.”

“It's a long way to fly, Twil- eep!” Fluttershy squealed as she felt Rainbow hoist her off the ground.

“Leave it to us, Twilight.” Rainbow nodded with a determined grin.

“No wait! I-” Fluttershy's wailing faded in to the distance in a trail of multicoloured splendour.

“Pinkie Pie and Applejack, I need you to find as many unicorns as you can. I'll need all of them to help me lift the Sun!”

“You got it, sister!” Pinkie leapt from the balcony, pulling off a miraculous triple back-flip and sticking a perfect landing. Applejack took the far more sane route down the stairs.

“Are you sure we can do this, Twilight?” Rarity asked.

“With friends like ours, anything is possible.”


Soon, every magic-user in Ponyville had assembled by Twilight's side. “I need everything you've got; focus your power on me, and I'll try my best to channel it towards the Sun. We need this to happen, for the good of Equestria!”

Rarity, more used to lifting a needle and thread, was slightly worried. “What if we don't have enough power?”

“We just have to believe that we do. We can't just give up.” Twilight steadied herself, facing the eastern horizon and planting her hooves. “I have only directed other ponies' magic a few times before, but if I focus, I'm sure I can do it again.”

“You can do it, Princess Twilight!” an excited voice called from the back of the crowd. Twilight turned in time to see Bon Bon restrain her room-mate.

“Very well; let's do this.” She maintained her focus, giving the order. “Now!”

A multitude of colourful auras burned into existence, beaming towards Twilight as she waited with her head near the ground. Her own magical glow grew in intensity, ballooning outwards and flooding every square inch with pink light. She felt the power flowing through her, concentrating on her forehead and humming in the air around them. Feeling renewed and ready, she pushed the immense collective power towards the Sun. She heaved, pulling up above the horizon. The pink was replaced with the warm glow of the early morning, bringing life to everything. It was as though the whole world had awoken from a terrifying dream.

“We... We did it!” Twilight let go of the connection, allowing the Sun to finally rise by itself. It drifted up in to the sky, taking its rightful place. What started as cheers soon became gasps of horror and confused disappointment. “I... I don't understand.”

“Twilight... is the Sun meant to be so...” Rarity couldn't find the words.

Pinkie bounded past, giggling. “Hey, it looks sorta like a peanut!”

“You actually did it.” Everypony's attention was drawn to Luna as she silently approached. “You managed to raise the Sun by yourselves. That is a skill not even I can manage.”

“Well, it was every unicorn in Ponyville.”

“Still, it is an impressive feat. Well done, Twilight Sparkle. You and the rest of this remarkable town may have saved the entire nation. There is one... uhm, minor problem, however...”

~~~~~~~

Celestia chuckled as she set the newspaper down.

“I actually rather like what she did with it.”

“It was a mistake, Celestia, you do realise--”

“I know, but don't you think that just 'round' is quite... boring?”

“But Celestia, you are responsible for protecting it! Maintaining its natural shape is part of that responsibility, is it not?”

“I suppose. It can last one more day as a peanut, though. I still feel a little-” she paused to fake a cough. “- ill.”

“Okay sister, but after this, it goes back to normal.”

“Agreed.”

Celestia floated her tea over to her, taking a sip. She placed the cup back on to the saucer with a clink. “Still, I wish I could have seen her face when you told her she had broken the Sun.”