• Published 14th Aug 2014
  • 1,477 Views, 11 Comments

The Colt In The Orchard - The Delirium



After a hard day's work, Applejack is returning from the apple orchards when she finds a mysterious colt, hurt and alone. She brings him back to the farmhouse, where the Apple family lets him live for a while.

  • ...
4
 11
 1,477

Story Of Nero

The hours of the day passed quickly as nightfall soon graced Ponyville with its presence. In the Apples' farm house, four family members were in the kitchen, discussing the days events.

"At least we got him to talk, Granny. That's a pretty good start if ya ask me."

"I'm tellin ya, Applejack. That colt can't be trusted. He has those markings all over him and did ya notice he flinched a little whenever we said the word pony."

"You're just bein paranoid. Nero's just a little scared, right Apple Bloom."

"Actually, sis, Granny may have a point. He was pretty stubborn when it came ta not tellin us about why he was in the Everfree. And he did flinch at the word pony."

"Not you too! What about you, Mac. Ya think he's suspicious."

"Eeyuup."

"I can't be the only one that trusts him.

"I'm afraid ya are, AJ. There are just to many reasons not to."

"What about you, Apple Bloom? You were huggin him earlier."

"I felt bad for him, but that doesn't mean I trust him." she replied, blushing.

"How about this. We ask Nero straight up tomorrow who he is and why he's here. If he refuses to do so, I'll kick him out. If he does, you'll all see there's nothin suspicious about him." Macintosh, Apple Bloom, and Granny Smith considered her words. Finally, Granny Smith relaxed and spoke up.

"Allright, AJ. We'll give the colt one last chance to prove himself. Tommorow we'll ask him who he is and what he is."

Unknown to the Apples, Nero had been outside the kitchen door the entire time. He had been listening to every word that had spoken up to that point. Suddenly, he heard hoof steps approaching him and realized some pony was leaving the kitchen. He quickly dashed upstairs and into Apple Bloom's room. He leaped into bed and threw himself under the covers. After a while, the door opened and a sleepy filly entered the room. She trotted up to the edge of the bed and glanced at Nero, who preceded to be asleep.

"Ya know," she said to herself. "Those stripes make him look a lot like Zecora." Instantly, Nero's eyes shot open in surprise. He quickly shot out from under the covers and tackled Apple Bloom.

"Did you say Zecora?" Apple Bloom, who was pinned under Nero, struggle to answer.

"Ya, I did. Now will you please get off me now!"

"That's a common name for a zebra! How did you know her?" Just then, Applejack, Granny Smith, and Big Macintosh burst into the room. Big Mac immediately grabbed Nero with one hoof and threw him off Apple Bloom. He landed on the other side of the room with a thud.

"Apple Bloom, are ya okay?" Applejack asked.

"I'm fine, but I think I found out something interesting about Nero."

"What?"

"I said he looked a little like Zecora because of his stripes. He seemed to know the name and went crazy." Every pony in the room was now looking at Nero, who was just getting off the floor.

"Alright, Nero. We ned to know who ya are and what ya are, now! After that, you'll be tellin us about why you were in the Everfee and how you now Zecora." The Apples were taken back when Nero looked up at them with tears in his eyes.

"You want to know my story. Fine, here's how it goes."


"I overheard all of you taking in the kitchen earlier and noticed that some of you think I'm not really a pony. Well, you're half right. I an part pony, but I"m also part..."

"Zebra!" interrupted Apple Bloom.

"Exactly. My father was a unicorn and my mother was a zebra, but I never really knew either of them They loved each other a lot, but when I was born, she died. My father tried really hard to raise me on his own, but he just couldn't go it, so he killed himself and left me at an orphanage. No pony wanted to adopt me because I was part Zebra. After a while, the orphanage got too crowded and some of the ponies needed to be adopted or sent away. Every other pony got a home, but I was just left on my own. I had been homeless and was traveling all over Ponyville, looking for a family to take me in. One day, I heard a rumor that a zebra named Zecora lived in the forest outside of Ponyville. I went there to look for her, but was attacked by timberwolves. I managed to get away and ended up on your farm. I think you know the rest."

"So, you're here to look for Zecora?" Applejack asked.

"Does that mean that a zebra really does live around here!?"

"You bet it does. I'm sure she would be willin to help ya out. We'll take ya there first thing tomorrow."

"Thank you." Neon then turned to Apple Bloom and spoke to her. "I'm sorry for jumping on you earlier. I heard the name Zecora and just kind of reacted."

"It's okay. Now that you've told us your story, everything kinda makes sense."

"Hold on there, youngins. I still don't believe Nero here is tellin us the truth?"

"What do ya mean, Granny?" began Applejack. "What reason does he have for lyin."

"I don't know, but I've been around long enough to know that a part of his story is untrue." Every pony looked at Nero and eventually he nodded.

"She's right, I made up a part of my story."

"And what part would that be?"

"Well, everything was true except for the part about my father and the orphanage. After my mother died, he blamed me for it and tried to kill me. Before he could, a group of ponies found us and stopped him. For all I know, he's still in jail."

"And what about the orphanage?"

"The group of ponies that saved me were scientists. They were astounded to find out I was half zebra. They did tests on me for years. Most of them were painful and they kept me locked in a cage like an animal. One day I escaped and made my way to Manehatten. That's where I heard the rumors about Zecora." Every pony looked at Granny Smith for her approval.

"He's wasn't lyin that time. Everything he just said was true."

"Well don't worry, Nero." Apple Bloom chimed in. "Tomorrow we'll take you to Zecora and you'll finally have a home." The Apples all looked at Nero and were shocked to find him crying. However, they quickly learned they were tears of joy.

"Thank You."