• Published 10th Aug 2014
  • 820 Views, 60 Comments

Fragmented Harmony - Mares-a-Mares



Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy end up in a world of wishes, witches, and magical girls. Can they return to their home?

  • ...
9
 60
 820

Chapter 8 - Alliance Part 1

Footsteps clattered through the shadows as the three Magical Girls walked throughout the night, a crescent moon in the sky. Rainbow Dash sighed inwardly as she looked at the old rundown buildings surrounding the trio. This area didn’t look very promising to the rainbow Magical Girl, but she really didn’t know what they were getting themselves into.

…Maybe she should’ve just ditched ‘Home Run’ and rushed outta there, fast. Things certainly didn’t seem to be looking up. She glanced behind towards her timid friend, her grip tightening as she held her hand firmly. They couldn’t risk losing each other, after all.

Fluttershy glanced from building to building as they walked along the worn out sidewalk. The area didn’t really look abandoned, but there wasn’t that much light illuminating the street in front of them. The streets glowed with a copper-colored hue as it was lit up by the old street lamps on the sides. Noticing her friend’s gaze on her, the timid Magical Girl gave a small approving grin, just enough to try and reassure her dear fillyhood friend.

It didn’t really help much; she knew better than to believe Rainbow could be fooled by that.

Not feeling any better about the situation, Rainbow Dash slowly turned away from her friend, instead keeping an eye on their ‘accomplice’.

Akemi Homura kept a steady pace as she walked, her gray-black hair swishing slightly with each movement she made. She made no effort to turn around or make eye-contact with the two girls, but she just continued on with perfect faith that they’d be following her.

Grudgingly, they really didn’t have any other option.

Homura stopped short in front of a large building; it was pretty dark to really look at some of the details in the place. It kinda looked like an apartment building, like one of those things you’d see in something like Manehatten, only make it super creepy and dark; dramatic effects in the works.

A plate with strange Japanese symbols was embedded on the wall next to a door. Homura turned back towards the foreigners, her royal-blue eyes narrowed in a blank ‘hard to tell’ expression.

…We’re here.

Rainbow Dash winced for a moment while Fluttershy squeaked loudly behind her. She had GOT to get used to that! Randomly out of nowhere; no warning whatsoever!

Y-Yeah, yeah, right…

The rainbow Magical Girl felt her friend’s grip on her hand tighten. Looking up at the place, she suppressed the urge to gulp at the sight. Was this place haunted by ghosts?

Fluttershy whimpered softly as she leaned closer to her friend’s back for any form of comfort. She missed QB’s company…It was nice, being able to cuddle something cute and soft when she was scared…

…But being a Magical Girl now, she couldn’t stay scared. She wasn’t going to let Rainbow take the burden for her. Steeling herself, Fluttershy gulped as she let go of her friend’s hand, walking up until she was right beside her.

Homura blinked at the two until she turned back towards the door, opening it without another thought while she allowed foreign tongues to fill the air. Rainbow Dash blinked as she quirked an eye-brow.

The apathetic Magical Girl frowned.

…That means ‘follow me’.

Nodding in unison, the two Magical Girls both stepped in through the door, stepping into what looked like a hallway lit up with a teal-ish hue. Footsteps echoing through the hallway, the three Magical Girls walked in silence until they came to yet another door out of many; another plate with strange Japanese symbols on it.

Homura reached into a small pocket from her cream-colored blouse, pulling out a set of keys. Picking out one from several others, she promptly pushed the selected key into the keyhole on the doorknob; turning it to the left. The doorknob clicked as she twisted it with her other hand, causing the door to creak open as she slowly retracted the key from the keyhole.

…Come in.

Rainbow Dash sighed before facing her timid friend. Fluttershy blinked for a moment before meeting her magenta eyes.

“U-Umm…it should…be alright.” She mumbled as she slipped past her friend and slowly crept through the doorway, the inside being completely wrapped in darkness. Rainbow frowned as she followed her suddenly brave friend; keeping an eye to make sure nothing bad happens.

As she shut the door behind her, Rainbow frowned. She couldn’t see a thing…How could anypony walk around in this place? She almost resisted the urge to feel around in front of her, just to make sure the other two were still there.

…It was so silent here…

With a clicking sound, everything went blazing white as Rainbow Dash quickly covered her eyes. “Agh, that’s BRIGHT!”

Fluttershy squeaked as her blinking irritated eyes searched for any sign of Homura, who was next to a strange plastic patch on the wall.

The apathetic Magical Girl stared at the two for a moment, her hand against a plastic tap that pointed up.

…It’s a light switch, if you didn’t know.

Rainbow Dash blinked. She knew what a light-switch was, just…it looked really different from what she was used to. No bugs in it or anything…and who puts it on the wall?! What the hay happened to lamps? Still, no point in arguing…

R-Right, okay…

Fluttershy looked around the room. It was a large area with endless white; an anchor-like object swinging back and forth. As if they were floating in mid-air, several pictures with inequine figures and diagrams hovered above the trio, all in a language the young mare couldn’t read. In fact, it looked like some of the symbols she didn’t really pay much attention to back in the Clown-Snake’s Barrier…or something similar, at least…

Homura walked on until she stood in front of a circular-shaped seat that was curved around the table in the center, much like a crescent moon. “…Sit down.” She spoke in English, her voice once more changing dialect.

‘Okay, this just got from weird to creepy-town…’ Rainbow Dash cringed as she complied, allowing herself to sit down on a similar cushioned seat from the opposite side of the table; made out of something she didn’t really feel back in Equestria. Probably shouldn’t question it…

“…Do you drink tea?” The apathetic Magical Girl sat down, allowing her muscles to relax as her royal-blue eyes gazed towards her guests. Fluttershy gave an inward sigh before she too sat down beside Rainbow Dash; keeping an eye on both Magical Girls in front of her, hoping to avoid a fight.

“…Nah…Tea’s pretty bland for me. You got cocoa?” The rainbow Magical Girl scratched her head nervously. Sheesh, when did she start to lose her cool?

Fluttershy smiled softly as she scooted closer to sit next to her friend. “U-Um…tea’s fine for me…that is, if…if you don’t mind…”

Homura nodded before standing back up. “…Very well,” she spoke in a clumsy attempt of English as her voice wavered slightly. “I will get your tea for you.” She walked into a doorway which led into another room filled with green squares. Before she fully left the room, she didn’t hesitate to glare at the rainbow-haired girl behind her.

You WILL learn Japanese, if it’s the last thing I do.

Rainbow Dash cringed at the threat. “Sheesh…lay off a little, will ya? I get it, your English sucks!”

Fluttershy gasped as she clicked her tongue in disapproval. “No, Dashie! That’s NOT how we speak to our host, who was so gracious to give us some place to stay!” She spoke in a firm voice as she glared at her companion. Rainbow always did struggle when it came to good manners…

Rainbow Dash blushed as she winced at her nick-name being used in such a tone. “R-right…uh…” The mare gulped as she contemplated her friend’s words. Fluttershy was always suddenly very assertive when it came to lecturing her or her stupid animals…

“…Sorry, uh...” The rainbow Magical Girl mumbled to the air as she refused to make eye-contact with anyone else in her line of vision.

Fluttershy didn’t ease her glare. “…Say it properly in front of Miss…um…Ho-mu-ra.” Her voice faltered as she attempted to say the apathetic Magical Girl’s name. Maybe they really DID need to learn how to speak Japanese…if they were going to be staying here. Her current attempt to pronounce names here were embarrassing, to say the least…

Rainbow gave a sigh. “Fine, fine…just let me uh…go over there and say it.” The rainbow Magical Girl gave a sheepish grin as she stood up off of her seat, her eyes locked on the doorway. “You wait here. ‘Kay Flutters?”

Fluttershy nodded with a smile. “…Alright.”

The rainbow Magical Girl crept away from the seat towards the doorway out of the spacious room, her rose eyes peering through. The place looked completely different from the weird white room she just left.

Inside the room there were pots and pans hanging on hooks on the walls nearby a stove, along with a pale green counter beside it.

No doubt about it. She was in a kitchen.

Rainbow Dash was about to walk inside the kitchen until she saw a two-braided figure nearby one of the counters opposite from the stove, a lavender apron tied around her waist.

…In fact, this figure looked PRETTY similar to a certain annoying apathetic Magical Girl she since recently…has been having to deal with…

“…Home Run?” She blurted out.

The figure gasped loudly in a high pitch before she promptly turned around. Her royal blue eyes wavered as a blush formed on her normally empty apathetic face. The girl sputtered in high-pitched foreign tongues, clearly unable to recover from her embarrassment.

Rainbow Dash blinked. “…Hey, not a bad look for you! It makes you look less intimidating, at least.” She grinned as she relished in the other Magical Girl’s suffering.

Homura bit her lip as she quickly turned away from the rainbow Magical Girl. “…Don’t…look at me. I…I did this t-to keep it out of the way.” She slurred in clumsy English.

“Hey, nothing wrong with a new look,” She resisted from busting up into laughter. “Just…it looks cute.”

The apathetic Magical Girl closed her eyes and slowly breathed in and out for a few moments. It seemed to be working as her muscles grew less tense as the blush faded from her face. When Rainbow Dash saw her open her eyes once more, they were the same cold eyes she had before; making the ‘cute’ look she had look intimidating.

Rainbow Dash winced. “Uh…” Why was she here again? She could easily just walk right out of this place, but she had something she needed to do. If only she could remember what that was…

Homura frowned as her eyes narrowed into a glare, her hands quickly pulling out the lavender ribbons that held her hair, allowing it to flow freely behind her.

…We never speak of this. Understand?

The rainbow Magical Girl rolled her eyes as she recovered from Homura’s overwhelming effect.

Sure, sure, whatever. I came over here to talk to you.

Homura blinked as she worked to untie her apron and place it on a hook near the fridge. Whatever did she have to say to her?

…What is it?

Rainbow Dash sighed deeply before meeting her accomplice’s royal blue eyes.

I guess…uh…What was I supposed to say again?

Homura frowned.

…If you don’t remember, quit wasting my time.

Oh wait! Now I remember!

Rainbow Dash glared back at the apathetic Magical Girl.

…But now I don’t think you deserve it.

…Excuse me?

With a sigh, Rainbow Dash relaxed her body against the kitchen counter.

Well, I was going to say ‘sorry’ for dissing your bad English…but like I said, you don’t deserve it. Anyways, what the hay is wrong with you? Forcing us to learn Japanese? If you do that, you might as well work on your crappy English!

Homura frowned. She did have a point, and communication was essential.

…Fine then. We’ll make a deal. If I practice my English, you must learn how to speak, read, and write in Japanese.

Rainbow Dash blinked. Wait, write? How the hay could she learn how to WRITE in Japanese?

Uhh…do you do that for English? Best keep it fair, after all.

…Of course I do. I am educated in my school to do all of that. It is a requirement, and one that I am quite skilled at…if I wasn’t speaking.

Rainbow held back a snicker.

Right, right, your speaking is the only thing you suck at, right?

The apathetic Magical Girl’s lips curved upwards into a smirk.

…I already know that you’ll struggle with Japanese. I can’t wait to see you fail miserably.

Rainbow Dash winced.

Uhh…’kay…Anyways, I guess I indirectly apologized, so…that means I’m off the hook! Guess I’ll be heading back over with Flutters, then.

Homura gave an inward sigh as she lifted a serving plate with a mug of cocoa and four grey glass cups of green tea off the counter, walking over towards the other Magical Girl.

…That was hardly an apology. Anyway, since you’re here you may as well make yourself useful. Carry this over to the table.

Rainbow blinked as her hands took on the weight of the serving plate, balancing each cup carefully on top. “W-whoa…what’s the green stuff in the glasses?”

Homura rose up on her toes to reach up towards another serving plate. “…Green tea. Good drink we Japanese use. It is perfect for health.” Fragmented sentences were always frustrating…if only this idiot wasn’t foreign!

“…’GREEN’ tea…? That sounds kinda…gross.” The rainbow Magical Girl made a face as her grip on the serving plate tightened. Gross or not, she couldn’t drop the plate or anything. “So…what’s the other serving plate for?”

The apathetic Magical Girl gave a knowing look in her eye.

I imagine we’ll be having cake soon.

Rainbow Dash blinked.

…Cake?

…You’ll see. I actually invited another guest to be joining us tonight.

The rainbow Magical Girl frowned.

Uh, WHY is this the first I’ve heard about this?

…Must’ve slipped my mind. I invited this guest before approaching you two. We have much to discuss.

Rainbow rolled her eyes. Of course Home Run invited a stranger beforehand. Now she was putting Fluttershy through stranger danger. What kind of loyal friend was she?

“…What kind of…human is this guest?”

Homura blinked.

…Human? That’s an interesting use of the word. Would it be anything other?

…Whatever, just…just answer the question already.

…Very well. This guest is another Magical Girl in this city; the owner of this territory. She is usually quite hospitable…when she finds reason to trust you. I hope to gain that trust in tonight’s meeting.

The rainbow Magical Girl nodded in understanding.

…So it’s another Magical Girl. Alright then…bring it on.

Homura blinked.

Your approach to everything is very American.

…Huh? Ameri…can? What’s American?

…Are you not from America? Where people speak English?

The rainbow-haired girl stepped back out of surprise.

…Uh…Yeah, see…I speak English, but I’m not a native there. I just have some uh…relations, yeah!

Homura smirked.

…I have a feeling I won’t be the only one talking.

…Y-Yeah? W-Why’s that?

Royal blue eyes burned into magenta orbs.

…Where exactly do you come from, foreigner? I’d suspect America, but your current reactions are telling me otherwise.

Rainbow Dash gulped as she tore her eyes away from the other Magical Girl’s.

…That…that’s not your business.

The apathetic Magical Girl’s smirk grew wider.

The tables have turned, it seems. You were the one wanting to know my business. Why is it such a problem to know yours?

The rainbow Magical Girl cringed inwardly. She really dug herself into a deep hole this time…but she couldn’t tell this crazy freak the truth…! If she knew she came from a land full of ponies and magic, she’d think she was crazy!

…The door bell ringing felt like a sound from Celestia herself as both Magical Girls’ attentions were taken away from the subject.

Homura gave a quick glance back at the rainbow Magical Girl, her eyes ever so harsh.

…We finish this in the strategy room.

Rainbow Dash felt like she was losing strength in her legs, but she refused to let them collapse. She was still carrying a tray, anyway. She watched as the apathetic Magical Girl walked out of the kitchen back into the large white room, her gaze then moving from the doorway down towards the cups on top of the tray.

Steam was still rising from all cups, but she couldn’t leave them sitting for too long.

The rainbow Magical Girl gave a deep sigh as she felt anxiety rise up within her.

…Guess she should…take them over, then.

--

As Rainbow Dash entered the room with a tray filled with green tea and a mug of cocoa, she saw another human standing near the seats, talking to Home Run in what she believed to be more foreign stuff.

A girl with blonde hair curled into tight ringlets slowly settled herself down at the request of Homura, wearing the same uniform as their host but with white shoes. Closing her eyes, the blonde allowed herself to take a deep breath before facing the trio.

…Fluttershy blinked as she observed the new stranger. W-Were they really expecting guests? If so, h-how many…? Oh, she didn’t want to bear so many new strangers all at once!

…Then again, she’d…been through much worse with Photo Finish and…the Gala….

The blonde blinked before she flashed a friendly smile towards the shy pink-haired girl, a light silky foreign sound escaping her lips. “…Konnichiwa.”

Reading Fluttershy’s complete and utter confusion, Homura promptly sat down next to her. “…Konnichiwa means ‘Hello’.” Her dialect twisting as she spoke.

Fluttershy gasped. “Ohh…Um…Ko…konnichi…wa.” She mumbled. Oh, she was so bad at this!

The blonde girl blinked. “…E-Eh?” Her gold-yellow eyes darted back and forth from Homura’s to the pink-haired girl.

Homura gave a deep sigh.

…Do forgive her lack of Japanese. She and the other one I have here are foreigners who speak English.

The stranger gasped as her mind was invaded with Akemi Homura’s voice. She didn’t notice the pink-haired girl wincing as well.

…Foreigners, Akemi-san? Why did you bring foreigners here?

Homura’s eyes narrowed.

…Surely you’ve sensed the recent contracts that have been made here in Mitakihara City. It is your territory, after all. Or have you been too involved with your potential students to pay attention to anything else?

The blonde girl sighed as she clasped her hands together, Fluttershy staring in complete fascination before stopping short.

…Students?

Yellow-gold eyes widened as she turned towards the pink-haired girl.

…Y-You are…!

Fluttershy winced until she noticed the shock was short-lived.

…Of course. At first I decided to ignore the strange auras I’ve been sensing thinking it was another of your tricks, Akemi-san…but you’ve been recruiting Magical Girls behind my back? And from what I’m sensing, newly contracted ones as well…

Homura frowned.

…They were willing to assist. I have something I wish to ask of you as well, Tomoe Mami, if you are willing to listen.

The stranger known as Tomoe Mami glanced back to meet the other with cold eyes.

…What is it? Surely you don’t plan to waste my time? I sacrificed my own leisure time to come here, you know.

Fluttershy was about to open her mouth to say something until she heard footsteps approaching the trio.

The three girls stared at Rainbow Dash as she placed the serving tray on the table, a frown on her face.

Not to break the tension and all…but your tea’s gonna get cold. And that’d be lamer than tea in general in my opinion.

Fluttershy grinned for the mood-saver. “…Thank you, Rainbow Dash. Um…what kind of tea…is it?”

Homura nodded as she took a cup and handed it to Fluttershy.

…Green tea. It’s a Japanese traditional drink that’s often drunk in the same amounts as water is in America.

Mami blinked as she too was handed a cup, her lips curling up into a small smile.

Oh…well, thank you…Akemi-san, for your hospitality. It’s not what I expected, to say the least…

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes as she took her mug. Sniffing at it, it didn’t really…smell like cocoa, now that she thought about it. It smelled kinda like…

Hey, this isn’t cocoa, this is coffee!

Homura simply sipped at her own cup of tea.

…I was out. I figured you could drink coffee instead, or are you just a picky guest to please?

The rainbow-haired girl grumbled.

No, I’ll drink the icky stuff. Just…really don’t care for it. It’s bitter as all hay!

Mami blinked as she took a luxurious sip.

…’Hay’…? I don’t remember hay being used in that context before…is it a new English slang?

Homura nodded as her royal-blue eyes hooked onto shaky rose eyes.

I don’t recall it being used that way, either. And I’ve heard it being used several times, actually.

Fluttershy faced her friend as she placed her cup of tea down on the table and stood up. “…Rainbow Dash, it’s okay. I’m…I’m sure we can trust them.” She gave Rainbow a small but confident smile.

Rainbow Dash bit her lip. “Mmm…” Was it really okay? She certainly didn’t trust them, especially that Home Run! And the blonde one was pretty sneaky herself…

…But…Fluttershy was willing to trust them. They told Cubes when she didn’t trust him, and the world didn’t end then. Who’s to say it’ll end if they tell these humans?

Mami narrowed her eyes as she listened intently. The two foreigners seemed to be hiding something from her. Akemi Homura wasn’t the only one with secrets, it seems. Maybe she should just leave. She sacrificed precious homework time to come here, after all.

Homura kept her gaze. Almost…she almost had it. Where exactly did these two irregulars come from? What was their purpose for being here with nowhere to go?

Fluttershy walked over and took her friend’s hand. “…It’s okay. If you don’t want to…”

Rainbow Dash shook her head as she tightened her grip on Fluttershy’s hand. “…Fine, we’ll tell you, so shut up.”

Mami cleared her throat. This girl seemed to lack manners…Much like…she did. Refusing to think back, she focused her eyes on the two foreigners in the room.

Fluttershy sighed. “…We’re…not normally…humans.” Everything seemed heavy around her, almost suffocating…just like when she has stage fright…

Homura and Mami both blinked in unison.

Rainbow Dash gave a heavier sigh and pulled both herself and her friend to sit on the opposite seat together. “…Like she said, we’re not humans. We’re…we’re actually ponies.”

“…Eh?”

Author's Note:

Alright, I had to make this into parts 'cause it was getting a little long. Please tell me what you think and comment please! ^^