• Published 2nd Aug 2014
  • 1,378 Views, 37 Comments

Sisters at Heart - Lunatone



We always tell ourselves to not dwell on the past. But what we do in the past, marks us in the present, and stays with us until we resolve it. And sometimes all we need is a little courage and love to overcome it.

  • ...
5
 37
 1,378

Chapter Two: The Simple Days

Sisters at Heart

Lunatone

Chapter Two

The Simple Days

When we were fillies, Vinyl and I used to swim in the in-ground pool at my father’s estate and annoy our neighbours with our loud, playful screams and splashes. When we got out of the pool, we sat across from each other on the patio chairs, our wet hooves dangling and dripping water. My father brought us mulberries, from his garden, and lemonade for us when we got out of the pool. Sometimes, if we were in a humorous mood, we would pelt each other with the mulberries and run around the pool, giggling, laughing; I can still see Vinyl running around that pool, her lustrous mane shining in the sunlight.

Sometimes, when we went swimming, Vinyl talked me into throwing water-balloons into our neighbours’ yard just to annoy them. I never wanted to throw them though, but I knew how much fun Vinyl had when she did such silly things. But we always got a really good laugh out of it. Vinyl’s father, Dusty, a white unicorn stallion with a magic wand and hat for a cutie mark, used to catch us and get angry, but his gentleness got the best of him. He would wag his hoof, waving us away from our balloons. He would take the balloons away and tell Vinyl that wasn’t the proper way to behave.

“Yes, Daddy,” Vinyl would mumble, looking down at her hooves.

Believe it or not, Vinyl had lived with me since she was born. Dusty and my father grew up together in the same neighbourhood, and they even went to school together. According to my father, Dusty’s parents went missing and were never found. My father told me that his parents took Dusty under their roof as their own child and raised him along with my father.

Everypony agreed that my father, Jazzmere, built one of the most beautiful houses in all of Manehattan. A cobblestone driveway led to an entryway, leading to the sprawling house of marble tiles and the large bay windows. Upstairs was my bedroom, Jazzmere’s room, along with his study, and Vinyl and Dusty’s room. To Jazzmere, his study was his place of peace, but sometimes he would invite his friends over to join him in a discussion that always consisted of three things: music, business, and literature.

Sometimes I would ask Jazzmere if I could sit with him in his study, but he would stand in the doorway. “Octavia, my dear, this isn’t the place for you to be. Why don’t you go play with Vinyl instead?” Then he would close the door on me. Sometimes I sat next to the closed door for hours, listening to their laughter and chatter, wondering what they were really talking about.

The living room downstairs had a large marble fireplace. It also had a curved wall, leading into the dining room. In the centre of the dining room, there was a beautifully carved table made from teak.

A large sliding glass door lead into the backyard, where the pool was, and two large yew trees stood on the right and left corners of the backyard. My father and Dusty had planted a garden on the west side of the backyard where they grew mulberries, lemons, and strawberries.

One night, Vinyl and I were walking to the Manehattan theatre to see a new play. Jazzmere had bought us tickets before the play even came out so we could have the most luxurious seats. We decided to take a shortcut through the local park where dozens of streetlamps lit up the paths, illuminating the park. At the exit gate, leaving the park, a group of what looked like rough, spiteful, older stallions were leaning up against the gate. I told Vinyl to keep walking and avoid paying attention to them. One of them saw us, and prodded the pony next to him. Then he called out to Vinyl.

“Hey you!” he said, looking towards Vinyl. “I think I recognize you!”

Neither of us had ever seen him before. He was a fat stallion with an oleaginous beard, and his teeth were yellow. The way he leered at us scared me. It was like he was about to do something horrible to us. “Just keep moving,” I muttered to Vinyl in a low tone.

“Hey, I remember you now! I use to know your mother! Did you know that I was her ex-stallion friend?”

Vinyl never talked about her mother, as if she never existed. I always wondered if she thought about her. What she would be like. What her favourite colour was. What she even looked like. I always thought about these things when I thought about my own mother, who passed away after she had given birth to me. When Vinyl’s mother, Medli, gave birth to her, seven months after I was born, she left Dusty because she didn’t want to deal with her newborn.

I had heard, from my father, that Meldi wasn’t the most positive pony to have around. My father once told me that she was an unruly, unscrupulous mare that had a horrendous reputation for using other stallions. And since Dusty had quite the income, at the time, it made him an easy target, for her at least. And Dusty, being the gentle and kind character he was, didn’t feel like he had the right to judge somepony else, despite what they may had done, so he fell right for her with ease.

It wasn't until Medli got pregnant with Vinyl that she started to shun Dusty from her life. Shortly after she gave birth to her new filly, she called things off with Dusty, leaving him with nothing but the little filly.

“What a worthless piece of trash your mother was! You must be a lot like her,” he said, while he leaned against the gate. The stallion then proceeded to thrust violently against it. “That’s what I used to do to her all the time!” His friends laughed loudly with him. I wanted to say so many things to him, but I kept myself collected and witted, as we finally walked passed the stallions.

When we made it to the theatre and took our seats, the play began in less than ten minutes. After the play had started, I began to hear short, rhythmic sobs in between breaths. Tears were streaming down Vinyl’s cheeks, and her eyes were bloodshot. I reached over to her in concern and wrapped my forehoof around her neck so she could rest her head against my chest. “Don’t worry about those awful stallions, Vinyl. I’ll always be here for you,” I softly whispered into her ear. “I’ll always be here for you.”

After the play, we were on our way home, but, this time, we didn’t go through the park. Vinyl still seemed pretty shaken up from what we had heard earlier that night.

“Vinyl, are you sure you’re all right? I hate seeing you like this,” I said facing her, my voice soft and sincere.

“Yeah, I’ll be fine. I’ll always be fine as long as I have you,” she said turning to face me, giving me a warm, comforting smile.

Then leaning in, I softly kissed her on the cheek. Her face flared red, her features seemingly brightening.

“W-what was that for...?”

“You’re my everything, Vinyl. And I love you.”

“I-I love you too, Octavia.”

We didn’t exchange any more words on the rest of the way home. Looking back on it now, I realised that everything that followed after that night was because of those three words.