• Published 28th Jul 2014
  • 1,244 Views, 442 Comments

Starlight: Redshift - the-pieman



Anthony takes Twilight and Rarity on an unexpected adventure they won't forget in this spinoff of Starlight in a Broken Vessel

  • ...
13
 442
 1,244

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 51

We get to the plains and see there are already some tents up and what seems like a trainer-meet. I even see someone set up a machine that is labelled as a portable trading device. Some trainers are flashing badges and telling stories, some are just chilling on the grass, a few are battling or training alone... wow, it’s like a real-life Pokémon trainer’s convention!

There’s over a dozen kids in variations of the ‘bug catcher’ attire, and there appears to be a two-man team of what would be, in the games, a Bug Maniac and a Bug Catcher.

“Well, might as well get a spot set up for ourselves. With all these people I’m willing to bet it’ll be packed by tomorrow.”

“You mean this whole field?” Twilight asks, looking around. “That’d be a lot of people.”

“You got that right Twi. I mean, if Xavius set up an alert it should be a big deal considering how many circles he’s apparently talented in. Also congratulations, you’ve stopped saying ‘pony’ in public finally.”

“Yes, I’ve been meaning to ask... is that normal? For a human to have so many areas of expertise?” Twi looks confused, and... idunno, something else.

“That many? Not really. Though a pokémon trainer does tend to try and focus on multiple areas. Lots of ways to be strong and all, so it’s more about how many skills you have than how good you are at just one skill. Leave a hole in your dam wall and water will get through even if the wall is several meters thick and all, you know? But yeah, Xavius is special in that he succeeds in all the areas attempted, that’s the sign of a future pokémon champion. Didn’t see any badges on him though.” I look around the fields for a green and black shape Xavius said to look for, but it seems too early.

She chuckles. “Ah, okay. So... do you have any idea what we’re looking for, other than black and green shapes?” she asks. I remember the odd prevalence of the bug-catching trainers, and the sheer number of bug nets around.

“Definitely a Bug type, so expect it to be insect-like at least, judging by the type of people around here.”

“Huh?” twilight asks, and Rarity turns towards me. “Is that what their outfits mean? They do seem awfully coordinated compared to other trainers I’ve seen.” she says.

“Well, if you intend to specialize in one type you tend to wear appropriate things, like a beginning electric trainer wearing grounded shoes and some rubber gloves. Looking at the sea of bug nets out there I’d say we’ve got insect enthusiasts out here.” I look around and see a few generic trainers, but most of them are indeed dressed like various Bug mainers. “So, I guess we just mingle for now, have fun while we settle in.”

Twilight and Rarity nod, the two of them saying they plan to do exactly that before heading off. Well, they’re getting more used to being on their own, at least. I get to work setting up my hammock in a chosen spot a bit away from the mass of people and figure I can let the girls be alone as long as they stay relatively normal, and they can always call me if they need to. They are right that they're getting used to the éTech pretty quickly.

I think about the hammocks. They are indeed more comfy but it might be nice to have some cover to keep off rain and snow.

One of the bug trainers, a random guy, waves at me. It feels... odd. I’m just... a part of this group, just by showing up.

Oh yeah, that’s how humans work. Damn I got out of Equestria just in time didn’t I? I walk over to the guy once I’ve made sure that the hammock will sway but not fall. "Hey there. So I'm not sure what pokémon we're expecting tomorrow, but I'm gonna guess it's a Bug type. No spoilers though please, I'm new to the region. Want all the surprises I can get."

He chuckles. “No problem! I’ll tell ya this, though, you got here in time. Every year, this place gets super-crowded, cuz it’s right in time for the migration to start. Just don’t catch any that are carrying anything; those’re ones owned by trainers, letting them migrate.” he says, a good note to keep in mind. Now, what sort of animals migrate... no, keeping my mind clear, I’ll find out soon enough.

“Right. Scarves, ribbons, bands, gifts from the trainer like that?” I decide to clear up exactly what I’m looking for to mark the pokémon as out of bounds.

“Exactly. Some just have name tags on lanyards, but those have LEDs on them to keep ‘em bright. Anyways, if you don’t know why everyone’s here, what alerted you to the migration?” he asks.

“Oh, just some guy named Xavius. We’ve been meeting up a lot lately ever since I ran into the Chainers. It was a few days after I got to Otaria.”

The guy gapes and his mouth opens and closes like a fish’s. “Uh... wow. You said you’re new here? That’s pretty cool, he’s been-” whatever he was going to say is interrupted as his own éTech goes off, and he looks up, saying, “Crap, I have to go. My wife’s got the kid’s all kitted up, but we need to get ready for tomorrow still. We’re also planning on catching some Lunaverde tonight, after all.” he says, and begins walking off with a wave.

I wave back and make a note to look into that Lunaverde pokémon if I can’t catch... whatever’s showing up tomorrow morning. Wait a second here... I’m in a crowd of people and I don’t have to play babysitter for the ponies while they try to integrate! Time for some good old interaction. And in the pokémon world ‘interaction’ means ‘battle’.

Though I want this to be fun, not over fast and since most here are likely to have bug types... I think I’ll do a bit more research into Magomental. Huh, not a bad moveset, let’s see, right now mine would have... Minimize, Pound, Leech Life, Confusion, and Hypnosis. Not bad for a level 18 really. I pick Magomental’s ball out of my bag and talk to it. “Let’s see how you do in a fight with another Bug type, shall we?”

You know, I’m not sure if Pokémon can even hear from inside these things... It’s implied they can but there’s moments where that seems impossible. Oh well, I’ll find out later.

Luckily I see a guy dressed up in beige forestry gear, definitely a bug catcher judging by the net he’s got. “Hey there, you up for a battle? Magomental needs some work.”

“You have a Magomental? Nice job! And sure. You wanna do it just for training? I don’t have a lot of money on me, and I need to get lunch tomorrow for my friends and I.”

“No problem. I spent half my cash on stuff for tomorrow anyway. And yeah, found this Magomental just outside this haunted house in the forest.”

“Oh, that place? Ha! That place is a riot.” he says, laughing. “Anyways, let’s move away from the crowd a little. I’ve got a Wormine that needs training, too, so we can both get something out of this.”

“Works for me.” We head for a little place set up with white chalk markings in the grass, apparently set up earlier by some trainers who got here way before anyone else.

I toss out Magomental and wonder what a Wormine looks like. I don’t have to wait long as the other guy throws his ball in the air and the white light fades to reveal a six-foot-long worm that looks like it’s capped with a yellow safety helmet, a spiral pattern running down the entire creature. Worm on worm fight? Guess it’s fair, to a degree.

“Alright Magomental, let’s see how you do. Start with a Pound!”

The mass begins to rise, aiming for the huge worm, and the other trainer yells for it to dig. With a whine like a power drill, it spins and dives into the ground, leaving only a muddy hole behind, its mucus leaving the hole impassable and slimy. I only have a few seconds to decide a counter-strategy to digging.

“Magomental, minimize!” That sentence had a lot of ‘m’s for two words... right, focus on the match.

Magomental quickly compacts itself, trying to avoid the attack... however, it doesn’t make a difference, as the Wormine erupts from the earth below, slamming into and through Magomental, sending tiny worms scattering as the larger pokémon coils up nearby, turning back towards my pokémon.

“Uh, try Hyp-”

“Magnitude!” I hear the other trainer call. At least he’s sticking to Ground type moves. The sudden shockwave from the Wormine’s tail thumping the ground isn’t that strong, around a 3 or 4 if my guess is right, but it definitely hits Magomental. this pokémon is certainly fast for being a giant earthworm.

Well, if physical combat isn’t working... “Confusion!”

Magomental turns its main mass towards the opponent and a shaky wave of confusing (heh) psychic waves slam into the wormine, whose ‘helmet’ opens to reveal it’s actually some kind of beak, with teeth inside like a miniature Sarlacc. It lets out a loud, low cry of ‘Wuuur!” before the other guy calls for it to Dig again.

Hmm, how can I hit something so big and fast? This is a problem. Wait, I got an idea! Just gotta wait...

The Wormine spears out of the ground, going through Magomental again, putting it right in the center of its power, and now! “Hypnosis!”

Magomental manages to catch the Wormine just as it’s processing my command and it stops but I can’t see what’s actually happening with it’s covered face. Soon though, a light snoring buzz noise is heard above the noise of the distant crowd. Yes!

“Alright Magomental. Leech Life.”

Bug vs. Bug is a not very effective move, which means less chance to shock the opponent awake before Magomental can regain it’s HP and be ready to make a comeback.

The other trainer gives a frustrated grunt and begins stomping on the ground with one foot. At first, I think he’s just letting out frustration, but then his Wormine begins to stir.

Clever, it feels vibrations better than it hears words, so the stomping... “Very clever. Alright Magomental, swarm all over it, don’t let it get away and keep going with Leech Life!”

My pokémon churns forward, squirming around the worm and embracing it, and the both begin to struggle back and forth, the other trainer yelling encouragement to his pokémon as I do the same. Time to tip the scales. If it’s busy physically, it’s likely not mentally prepared. “Confusion!”

The Wormine is indeed caught unprepared, and reels from the attack, tearing free of Magomental’s grip, but it lands and twitches on the ground instead of responding, and the guy nods. “Alright, I give. I don’t want ‘im being too wiped to help out later.” he says, recalling his pokémon.

We recall our pokémon and shake hands. “Nice job though, you sure had me on the ropes for the first part, never seen a Wormine before, didn’t know what to expect. But that was fun!”

“Thanks! Mine’s a bigger one than usual, too. They come in all sorts of sizes!” he says. “I’m Nathan, by the way. You here for the migration, too, then? Or wandered by on accident?” he asks, smiling.

“Migration. Though not sure what pokémon it is. Was tipped off by a pal. New to Otaria, which is why I’ve never heard of a Wormine. So how big do they get, really? You say that your’s is big and it was pretty large. Are they generally a few feet?”

“Oh, it’s variable. There’s a pokémon, what’s it called... oh, yeah, Pumpkaboo. It’s like that, they range from about a foot to around six feet, like mine.” he says, shrugging.

“I gotcha. So yeah, just hanging around. Never seen a gathering of trainers like this. Well, all bug trainers at least. Magomental’s my only Bug at the moment but I’m working on expanding my team.”

“That’s a good idea. A pokémon like U-” I shush him quickly.

“Don’t know what we’re looking at here, want it to be a surprise, no point in sightseeing if everything’s spoiled and all that. You understand.”

“Oh, alright, yeah I can understand that. Well, I’ll give you a hint, at least. It’ll be flying, but it’s not a flying type.” he says with a grin and a thumbs-up to me.

“Yeah, that works, thanks. But what’s strange about a bug type flying but not being flying type, right?”

“Oh, when you see its other type you’ll understand.” he says.

“Vague and enticing, nice. Now I’m really looking forward to this, thanks! Maybe we’ll run into each other later.”

“Sure! Lemme give you my number.” he says, rattling it off.

“Thanks.” I give him mine and we go our separate ways, wishing each other luck. It feels pretty good to just be... human again. I take out my last basic potion and spray Magomental. “Nice job back there, you earned this.” It rumbles appreciatively.

“Not much of a talker, are ya? Oh well, that’s fine. I admit I had my doubts, but maybe you’ll be more than worth it after all. Well done working under pressure.” I return my wiggling mass to it’s ball and I honestly not only am appreciative of it, I’m starting to like the little guy...s. The maggot-thing is starting to grow on me. I chuckle as I imagine myself denouncing Grass types and becoming a Bug Catcher. That’ll be the day I say Bellsprout is a stupid pokémon. In other words, never.

Now what else is there to do around here before it gets late. I notice that the sun is starting to set, but it’s the twilight-hours when the bugs get going so I’m sure there’s going to be plenty of after-hour activity. So, what’s the next thing to do? I take a look around and note that it’s getting pretty dark. I guess I underestimate how bright and illuminating Luna’s moon was. I must say that, now that I think of it, the nights are a lot colder and darker than in Equestria, excluding the middle of Winter. Oh well, darker is better for some pokémon. Wonder what sort of nocturnals will be out...

I scan the area another time and aside from the mass of bug trainers, I don’t really see anything. Wait a minute. Everyone’s a lot quieter. Those guys are heading for the trees. Odd, maybe there’s something in the forest. I decide to join in the new venture, scanning the trees for anything pokémon-shaped.

But there’s nothing. There’s a mossy tree trunk though. Wait, moss is green, not green and orange. And a lot more scraggly. That looks distinctly fluffy. A moth-like pokémon!

Now, how to approach it? Oh well, might as well ask ‘Dexter’. You know, I wonder if my own éTech AI has a name... that would be interesting to know.

I set the éTech to mute so it doesn’t startle the pokémon and scan it. It takes a bit for the scanner to find it, a testament to its good camo. Nevertheless, it’s found and I see the info printed across the screen:

Lunaverde, the Luna Moth pokémon.

- These pokémon almost exclusively come out at night, and their soft, furry bodies and wings catch detritus from the air as they fly, straining the air clean as well as getting them food.
- These pokémon feed on composting leaves, chewing them up and leaving some behind for their young. Their bodies are soft with moss and lichens.

Cool! A natural composting machine! Now that’s eco friendliness at it’s best! That said, it seems more useful than just a composter. Alright, I’ll give it a shot. and this is the pokémon that first guy was talking about finding. Cool! Alright, let’s do this!

I take a moment to consider who I want to use to fight this thing. ‘Dex says it’s Bug/Grass so... Litwick might be too much, and geodude may be at a disadvantage... No water for Carvanha, Magomental deserves a rest... So it’s either Oddish or GLaDoS. But if I go with GLaDoS, Electric isn’t effective on Grass, and Grass isn’t good against Bug. Looks like it’s Oddish.

I toss out the pokéball and point at the tree silently until Oddish notices the Pokémon. “Don’t wanna spook it.”

I creep up to the moth and tap it very gently on the head. Oh my god that’s so fluffy! “Uhm, excuse me, could I try and catch you please?” The pokémon rotates its head around, revealing two large, green compound eyes and a look of surprise as it settles on me. One of the facets is pale, and moves around, apparently showing where its attention has settled, and it seems more surprised that I asked than anything.

“I admit it’s odd for me to ask a pokémon, but I do want to be nice and this isn’t just a video game.”

“Luun~?” it asks, evidently finding it as unusual as I do, but it flutters its wings and lifts off from the tree, hovering in place and turning to face Oddish and I.

“So yeah, I guess we can start this when you’re ready. I think we are.” At a nod from Oddish, as well as a shrugging motion, we get ready for whatever the Lunaverde is going to do. “Alright, your move.”

The moth pokémon nods, and makes a motion with its wings, and green light pulls from Oddish towards the Lunaverde, and it trills. Absorb, most likely, judging by Oddish simply making a face at the attack, not reacting much. The moth pokémon seems a touch frustrated, evidently not knowing what types Oddish was before.

“Okay then... if it can heal, a little DoT won’t hurt it much. Poison Powder.”

Oddish shakes its head leaves, and a sickly-purple powder flies out, which the Lunaverde flutters its wings to repel. Then, it amps up the power, and a flurry of wind lashes out, a series of slash marks materializing in the dirt leading towards Oddish, barely giving ti time to dodge, and it’s still hit by what can only be an Air Cutter move.

“Okay, it’s packing heat, problem... Uh, Stun Spore?”

That turned out to be a bad idea as the spores are blown back as before, but hitting Oddish an paralyzing it. “Damn, that was a bad move. Alright then, uh... Geodude?” I halfheartedly toss out the Premier ball as I recall Oddish. This is not going how I planned.

Geodude takes his usual battle stance. Okay, gonna need to be careful here. “Tackle.” Geodude looks at me, obviously questioning the weakness of the move I chose. “Well I don’t wanna beat the crap out of it... Besides, it knows absorb. If you aren’t careful you’re screwed.” My pokémon rolls his eyes. However, he quickly heaves himself into a tackle, his weight preventing the wind shear from its next Air Cutter from deterring him, and he strikes it down. He lands nearby, and the pokémon flares its wings, soft moss on it clearing the dust from the air before it can really disperse, and the pokémon flutters back to the air, going almost backward to do so.

“Alright, I was gonna do Magnitude next but... oh well. Hmm...” I need to think. Well let’s see, it likes it clean since it’s wings are... then if I... “Geodude, Mud Sport!” I shout my idea, hoping it’ll have the effect I’m hoping for.

The mud goes up, and lands on the moth pokémon, the weight making it struggle to stay aloft, and it’s forced to land, a look of panic crossing its expression.

“Now Magnitude, not as hard as you can, but really give it some oomph! It’s types should soak most of the damage.”

Geodude nods, and does his raise-and-slam technique, the resulting ripple flipping the Lunaverde onto its back, wings splayed out, and its little legs wave in the air futilely. It stops moving, and covers its face with one set of legs, the second set going up in the air in an ‘I give up!’ pose.

I toss a Pokéball out at it. “Don’t worry, I’ll get you out of the box and clean you up first chance I get, alright?”

As a response, the ball shakes only once before dinging. The ball flashes white, then seems to dissolve into little pixels that fade, one by one, rapidly. I turn and see a couple Bug catchers behind me clapping.

“Nice job!” one shouts.

“Not everyone’s that nice, you’d make a good coordinator I think!” the other says.

I chuckle and raise my hands. “Nah, already got a coordinator in the group, I’m just trying to be nice.”

The catchers nod and return to their business wishing me luck. Alright, seventh catch! Victory! And another catch tomorrow, too. This is really going good. That said it’s very late now. I pull up my éTech and call the girls as I head back to my hammock.

“Hey you two, I just got my seventh! How’s things on your ends?”

“Oh, just wonderful, darling!” Rarity gushes. “I met a few other trainers here with some truly gorgeous bug types of their own. There’s one here that’s like a big beetle, but it has this truly impressive horn! A Heracross I believe it was called. Very industrious pokémon, from what I can tell. Oh! I also saw a Leavanny in action, and I am most impressed! I simply cannot wait for my own to get there~!” she sounds like she’s really enjoying herself, and Twilight also looks pretty happy.

“I’ve been discussing types and how they’re discovered with several of the other trainers here. This is John, he works at the Devon corporation, and they apparently have an intensive study on types that’s been on-going for decades. Apparently, they practically discovered the Steel type themselves!” she says, also gushing.

“Devon!?” I say, honestly surprised. “Aren’t they based in Hoenn? You mean they’ve expanded out here? That’s great! They do basically whatever the Silph Co. isn’t working on. Ask if they have made any discoveries in evolution, you’ll find it pretty interesting. Heck, write it down and share later.”

“Way ahead of you, Anthony!” She says, beaming.

“Just don’t forget to meet back up before it gets too dark out, we’ll need to be sticking together tomorrow so none of us are lost in the morning rush.”

“Oh, right! I completely forgot! Oh, I’ll just get their numbers, and we can conference later. They showed me how to set one of those up, too!” she says, reaching off-camera to pick up her bag, strapping it on, and telling me ‘bye’ before hanging up.

I must say, it may be a whole new world, but hearing things like Devon having finally expanded is great! Silph may have invented Pokéballs and all, but Devon deals with all the stuff that works with Pokémon personally. Wonder where their Otaria branch is located. Be interesting to go there. It’s also great to know that the girls can be out on their own in public. They really are fitting in better than I gave them credit for. Maybe I was a bit harsh before. Oh well, live and learn.

I get back to my hammock and get in, noting that a lot more tents had been put up around. And these are the early ones. Can’t imagine how many people will be here come morning. Oh well, as long as the girls stay close during the stampede I assume there’s going to be, we should be fine.

PreviousChapters Next