• Published 28th Jul 2014
  • 1,235 Views, 442 Comments

Starlight: Redshift - the-pieman



Anthony takes Twilight and Rarity on an unexpected adventure they won't forget in this spinoff of Starlight in a Broken Vessel

  • ...
13
 442
 1,235

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 8

Once we outrun the Zubat and catch our breath, I do the first thing that comes to mind. I crawl over to Rarity and grab her by her pony-shoulders and shake her like a ragdoll. “What did I say about loud noises, you fucking horse!? I’m trying to keep us safe, and then you fuck up the easiest task possible!” I swear I popped a vessel in my brain.

Yelling like that was very cathartic, I must admit, and I just let go of Rarity and slump over onto my back. “Do I have to explain these things to you like you’re retarded infants? I can if I have to!”

Both pony’s ears have gone flat to their heads, and they way they’ve curled up would be adorable if I wasn’t so flaringly pissed at them. Sometimes, I have to wonder if there’s any sense in their fool heads! They don’t understand just how much the world can hurt because their happy-sunshine-ponyland has no place for violence or crimes. They’re like what kindergartners think the real world is like from watching crappy kid’s shows!

“So... what do I have to do to get you to understand that there are more important things than fulfilling petty desires? The lives of yourself and others for one.”

“I- I’m sorry, I’ve just never seen a tigerseye of that size and shape, and... I- I’m so sorry.” for the second time today, Rarity devolves into a blubbering mess.

I just sigh and start petting her. “I know you’re sorry, and I understand, but I’m not kidding when I say those things would have sucked all the blood from our bodies if we hadn’t escaped. Alone they are pathetic and annoying; in a swarm, they could drain someone twice my size in half an hour! And they get bigger.”

Even Twilight looks horrified by this. As Twilight and I struggle to make Rarity stop crying, I hear the fashionista say something about just going home.

She’s thinking of just... giving up?

“Oh come on, if every trainer quit just like that, nobody would get anywhere in this world. This place is dangerous, but if you give up, that’s even worse. You need to keep moving. I’m sure we’ll end up dealing with worse even if it’s none of our faults. We can’t just throw in the towel so early when things start looking bad. We’re still alive aren’t we?”

Rarity nods numbly and grabs me and Twilight in a hug, still crying. After a few moments, Ledyba joins in the group hug. I completely forgot about her! Well, she looks fine so that’s all that matters right?

After a while, we decide adventuring in the dark is not a good idea, especially since we don’t have sleeping bags or even thin blankets to sleep. But we can’t get back now, so... we decide that the best option would be to find somewhere hidden in the forest and sleep there. It was a bit of a walk, but still closer than the town.

A short walk later, and Twilight pulls her own starter out. The little Tepig is confused at first, but recognizes Twilight’s voice. Some simple commands later, and there’s a warm fire crackling in a small pit. We settle in around it for the night.

Sighing, Twilight gets ready to return her Tepig, when the little pokémon simply curls up next to her. She smiles and grabs it like a stuffed animal, and the two go to sleep. I see that Rarity is using Ledyba as a pillow, and the bug pokémon doesn’t seem to mind.

I imagine taking out Geodude and... what, using him as a bludgeoning tool? I just gather up a clump of leaves and use that as a pillow.


I wake up and hear some yawning noises. I turn to see Rarity, Twilight, and both their pokémon are still sound asleep. I hear a small noise and realise it’s my pillow! I leap off of it and it startles awake. Then I see the face. It’s a Burmy!

I then take a moment to think about the situation. Grass/Bug. Not too much of an advantage, this is perfect timing. I back up and toss out Geodude, seems he’s awake and ready for a battle as well. “Alright buddy, let’s see what you got! Squash that bug with a Rollout!”

Geodude grunts, then looks at me. “What? Don’t tell me you can’t! Fine then, Tackle it!”

The stone pokémon nods, then simply jumps and lands on the burmy, making it squeal from the impact. Twilight is muzzily looking around, her tepig fully awake already as Rarity simply rolls over.

Meanwhile, the Geodude simply picks up the more-or-less defenseless and stunned bug and holds it while it hops up again. Not exactly in the rules, but at least Geodude’s got some imagination.

When Geodude is finished I take a closer look at the burmy on the ground. Out cold. Heh. “Alright, first actual battle a success, I’m doing alright! Not that there was ever any doubt of course.” I pull out the Premier ball and recall my pokémon, “Nice job man, I’m liking you better and better!”

After this, Twilight and Rarity are grudgingly awake, and we prepare to move. Twilight was apparently plenty warm all night from her Tepig’s presence, and Rarity was fine enough, though I’m a little cold from a stiff breeze coming in as we skirt the forest. We spend a minute or two discussing possible places to go, either into the forest or away from it. There’s plenty of rolling hills and cliffs in the other direction, leading back towards the sea.

I think over our options. “Well, if we ever plan on doing any battling by a lakeshore, it’d benefit Twilight and I to get a Water type. Rarity’s lucky, she already has one!” With that I pat the white unicorn on the head. “Trust me, you’re going to love Feebas.”

Rarity just grumbles and we make our way out of the forest. We pass by a few more Pokémon, but they aren’t terribly interested in us, so we just keep going. Then something hits me. “Hey Twilight, this place is perfect for Tepig to train. Why don’t you give the Pokémon around here a few rounds? I guarantee you it won’t be quite like the battle you had with Basswood. You might even win!”

Twilight gives me a grumpy face, but asks Tepig if that’s what he wants. After an affirmative nod, the two begin grinding for ex- er, battling the local pokémon. There’s some Sewaddle, a few Caterpie, an Oddish, even a Hoppip that sort of... floated away mid-battle.

“So, I guess we’re heading for the hills?” I ask with a grin.

“Ha ha... but yes, we’ll head to the water.” Twilight stops for a second and thinks. “It looked pretty cold. Did you recognize any of the pokémon in the water? that could help us figure out what kind of ocean it is.”

“Yeah, most of the ones on shore were part Ice-Type. Would make great weapons if we come across any Dragons.”

“Weapons? Anthony, watch your language!”

“Well personally, if I was being chased by a giant dragon over 500 feet long and breathing energy blasts that can wreck mountains as a side-effect I wouldn’t be exactly in the mood for inviting it over for a slumber party. Just saying. You can do what you like though.”

“Wait, ice is effective against dragons? But dragons are extreme endotherms, they produce more than enough heat to protect them from the cold!” Twilight says, looking baffled.

“While Fire-based attacks are indeed minimal strength against a dragon-type, ice is actually very effective. Pokémon are more than just animals with elemental abilities. They are forces of nature. There are Pokémon who can breath fire on you and no matter how much you try to cool it off, that burn will stay with you until the day you die. And frankly, that doesn’t make sense either, but it’s been recorded as fact.

Twilight shrugs. “Well, I guess if that’s just how things work here... Anyways, we should get going. Rarity has had enough time to wake up without coffee, and I want to get more done today than just standing around and talking. I don’t know why, but this place makes me feel like trotting all over.”

“If you say so. Yeah, let’s get going.”

The three of us walked with some swiftness towards the hills, only stopping once we reached the crest of a hill, some four battles later. One of those battles ended up being a 2v8, with me and Twilight taking down a swarm of Oddish and Budew.

I’m sure Geodude must have leveled up enough by now, so... “Alright Geodude, let’s see you pull off a Rollout now!"

Success! Geodude curled up and shot forward down the slope of the hill and, keeping momentum, ran back up, seeming rather proud of himself. He tried it once more, but as he reached the crest of the other hill again, a blue and black figure rushed up the hill and knocked Geodude back down the half-pipe.

The Riolu stood at the top of the hill and watched as my rock pokémon rolled between the hills sides until he slowed to a stop at the bottom of where the hills met, too dizzy to move in a straight line. The Riolu then makes a gesture I didn't recognize but was sure it was an insult of some kind, then the little prick just dashes off again.

I then hear a mechanical voice echo from beside me.

-Riolu, the Emanation Pokémon. Its body is lithe yet powerful. It can crest three mountains and cross two canyons in one night.-

“I know what a Riolu looks like, damnit!”

Twilight sheepishly returns her éTech to her bag, and the girls follow me as I make my way down the hillside and return the dazed Geodude back into his ball.

PreviousChapters Next