• Published 28th Jul 2014
  • 1,244 Views, 442 Comments

Starlight: Redshift - the-pieman



Anthony takes Twilight and Rarity on an unexpected adventure they won't forget in this spinoff of Starlight in a Broken Vessel

  • ...
13
 442
 1,244

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 9

Author's Note:

Warning: This chapter contains gore. Reader discretion is advised.

After that... interesting experience, we just continue along. There isn’t that much to see, aside from some Taillow flying by. We continue our trek along the uneven ground. Up and down, up and down.

When we get down to the water’s edge, we unanimously agree to just rest for a bit. That said, the view is pretty neat. Though it really is oddly cold, I can feel the wind coming in from the ocean and I’m glad I’ve got a jacket. After a bit of resting, we decide to start boosting our collections.

“Alright Rarity, you ready?”

“Hmm, me? What for?”

“Well the Pokémon are swimmers, remember? Geodude’s just gonna sink and Tepig would be out in seconds. Ledyba can fly and Feebas can swim. You’re all we got if we want a chance of catching anything here. Unless they decide to get up here on shore that is, but I don’t have any bait.”

“But... but...”

Twilight walks over to Rarity and pats her friend on the back. “I’m afraid he’s right, you have to battle if we want to get further.”

Rarity looks down at her hooves sadly. “Well... I suppose as long as nobody gets hurt too much...” She levitates the Cherish ball out of her bag and tosses it into the water. A shimmering, multicolored glow replaces the typical white and it would have been even more of a spectacle had it not yielded a Feebas. That said, it was shiny, so that kinda counts for something.

Rarity approaches the water’s edge and addresses her most recent ‘catch’. “Alright, we need to fight. Can you... do that?”

The Feebas looks up at Rarity and grins widely giving a cheerful “Bas!

“Well, at least she’s optimistic...” Rarity sighs. How the heck can she just... tell what gender it is? Maybe she would make a good breeder after all. Then something struck me.

“Uh, Rare... Feebas won’t be able to help us much... At this point, all it- she’d know is Splash.”

Rarity looks at me quizzically, then returns her gaze to Feebas, flopping around randomly in the water happily. Rarity seems to be taking a bit for the info to sink in. I decide to help get the message across “Right now, that’s uh... That’s all she can do...”

Rarity cringes and facehoofs. Not even looking at the still smiling Feebas, she levitates the Cherish ball and recalls the useless fish. Begrudgingly, Rarity calls Ledyba over, gives the Pokémon a hug, and gives a bit of verbal support before requesting that Ledyba help us out.

Ledyba gets a rather determined face on, very uncharacteristic for it’s species. Well, if it feels up to it, I’m not gonna argue. I hold up my éTech to Ledyba and a little light shines. In a moment, I’m given a readout of Ledyba’s Type, name, ownership status, and available moves.

Turns out me ordering it to use Supersonic back at the cave was just a lucky shot in the dark, it’s barely experienced enough to use it! “Oh well, it’ll have to do.”

Rarity looks up at me. “What do you mean?”

“According to this, all she can do is use Tackle and Supersonic. She’s got a lot of training to do if you want to wow any contest judges.”

“Oh...”

“Hey, don’t worry.” I wrap an arm around Rarity’s barrel. “Lot’s of Pokémon start out weak, they just need training.” I get an idea. “Hey, how about I instruct Ledyba for a few rounds until you catch on? It shouldn’t take long, I just figure it might be better if she gets coherent orders until you can do the same.”

“Well... alright.” Rarity sighs, then stares at me like she’s going to drill through my brain with her gaze. “If she gets hurt, I’ll end you!”

“N- no problem, ma’am, you can count on me.” After a few awkward moments of her death glare, we hear a splash coming from the water. Turning around, I see a Spheal rolling around in the water happily. It’s like a blue and beige beach ball, but I know better.

“Alright Ledyba, you ready?”

Ba!

“Alright, daze it with Supersonic!” Just like with the Sableye, Ledyba started flapping it’s wings incredibly fast and started producing the strange barely visible wavy yellow rings of sound. When they reach the Spheal soon after, it’s splashing around becomes much more wild and sporadic as it’s sense of direction is altered horribly.

“Now Tackle it!” Ledyba charges at the Spheal and, with rather impressive speed, slams into the ball-like Pokémon, causing the Spheal to yelp in pain.

“Now Tackle it again, get it from behind!” Circling around, Ledyba quickly rushes for Spheal again, repeating her direct strike and this time launching it towards shore. The Spheal finally gets its bearings and inhales, breathing out produces a flurry of fast-moving snow. Ledyba takes initiative and just barely ducks under the flurry and uses Supersonic again. Clearly she’s getting the hang of battle rather quickly.

The Spheal quickly rolls out of the way, however and prepares another attack from a different angle. Suddenly a Pokéball flies out of nowhere and hits Spheal in the back before it disappears in a white light.

After some serious shaking, the ball starts to calm down and eventually flashes, eliciting a cheer from Twilight.

“Ha! Gotta be faster than that if you want to win, Anthony!” With a happy grin, she levitates the ball back over and returns it to her bag. “You might catch up if your lucky!”

“You cheeky snake.” I grin and ruffle her mane, though she seems too happy to be annoyed by it. “Not bad, not bad at all.”

Ledyba flies over to Rarity, who grabs the bug pokémon in a big hug, offering many words of praise.

“So Rarity, whaddya think? Willing to let Ledyba go a few rounds now and then?”

“Well... perhaps. As long as she doesn’t get hurt too badly...”

We decided to just relax for a bit, letting our Pokémon out. Geodude decided he’d rather stay in his ball than by the ocean though, so I just watch the others. Rarity let Feebas swim around in the water, while Tepig and Spheal seem to have hit it off rather well, bouncing around and play-wrestling. I look out into the water and see a dark blue lump floating around moving ever so slightly. I point it out. “Hey girls, check it out!”

Twilight pulls out her éTech and aims it at the lump, eliciting the electronic voice as usual.

-Wailmer, the Ball Whale Pokémon. It bounces playfully like a ball. The more seawater it swallows, the higher it bounces.-

“Huh... it doesn’t look very active to me... it’s barely moving” Twilight muses. It’s rather curious to me as well. Then the water around the Wailmer changes color, becoming a disturbing purple. What?

Suddenly, the Wailmer’s shaking speeds up becoming more frantic, and that’s when the water starts turning red. A school of Carvanha burst out of the top of the Wailmer, having chewed their way through it. The girls scream in terror and I wince at the gory scene.

After a bit, the Carvanha are satisfied with their meal and we watch as the last few drag the Wailmer’s corpse down into the water, fighting over who gets the last bit. I shudder, and Rarity looks completely sick to her stomach.

Some of the Carvanha are floating lazily in the water, digesting their large meal. I take the opportunity to throw out a Pokéball into the water. In it’s satiated mood, the Carvanha doesn’t seem to have the attentiveness or energy to resist, making it my easiest capture yet. The Pokéball floats out in the water containing my new pokémon, surrounded by the rest of the Carvanha, now looking slightly more alert..

“Sooooo... I’m not swimming over there to get it.” I say. Twilight, with a disgusted look on her face, picks up the ball with her magic and levitates it over to me. I then place the ball in my bag and we all just stand there, not really having anything to say.

“Well then...” I start.

“Let’s just keep going for now.” Twilight suggests and nobody argues. Recalling our pokémon, the girls and I set off for the hills again.


After a while, the slopes get less steep between each hill and it seems we’re walking on what could barely be considered flat ground.

Then a trainer comes up to me. The guy had blue hair and some dark shades resting on his head. He had a pink shirt with a brown vest and a black pair of pants. The guy looked really cocky.

“Hey punk, you’re in for a world of hurt!” I quirk an eyebrow at his exclamation. “You deaf or something? Let’s battle!”

“You think you can win?” I walk up to him, and he’s obviously still a teenager, about half a foot shorter than I am.

“Yeah, you heard me, now let’s go!” He holds up a Great Ball threateningly.

“One Pokémon each, no items.” I reply, laying down the rules.

The trainer snorts. “Please, I could beat you blindfolded! Let’s see what you got! You’re big, but you still look like a beginner, what self respecting trainer would walk around with a Ledyba out?” The guy proceeds to laugh his head off.

Rarity snorts angrily and uses her magic to push me aside. “Say that again!” she dares the now dumbstruck trainer.

“D- did that Pokémon just-” He looks up at me and back to Rarity. The trainer stammers for a bit then tries to salvage his dignity and stands up tossing his Great ball and a Charmeleon bursts from the light, breathing out a stream of fire.

“That’s all you got?” I toss out Geodude and the trainer’s face falls once more. “What’s the matter? Doesn’t it know Metal Claw?”

The trainer looks at his Charmeleon which just shrugs. “You don’t even know what moves your pokémon knows and you call me beginner?”

“Uh, well-”

“Geodude, Tackle.” At my word, Geodude hurls it’s body straight at the fire lizard, which gets knocked over from the impact. “Rollout!”

It only takes two passes and the Charmeleon is on the ground not even moving. “I’ll let you use one more Pokémon if you wanna give it another try.” I offer.

He lifts up another Pokéball and tosses out a Sandshrew, who immediately starts by burrowing into the ground. I’m not sure if Geodude knows Magnitude yet, so I just order him to use Rock Polish.

The Sandshrew pops out of the ground behind Geodude, but Geodude rolls out of the way at the last second. If that had hit, it wouldn’t have gone well. On his trainer’s orders, Sandshrew uses Fury Swipes, which obviously didn’t do a whole lot of damage. I had Geodude reply with Rollout and the Sandshrew just barely dodges.

The Sandshrew returns to digging back underground. “Geodude, follow it!” My Pokémon nods and hops down the hole and in a few moments there’s a large racket down there. After a moment, an unconscious Geodude is tossed out of the hole. Damnit.

“Ha! I knew it, you are just a novice!”

I recall Geodude and bemoan my loss as Twilight walks up to the trainer. “My turn.” She tosses out Spheal. “Water beats Ground!”

The trainer chuckles. “Only if it can hit. Sandshrew, you know what to do!” At his command, the yellow Pokémon starts tunneling quickly and pops up in another spot. It repeats the process until the field is pocked with holes. Twilight can’t follow it’s movements and Spheal keeps getting knocked around by the Sandshrew as it pops up and dives back down.

Then Twilight gets her ‘idea’ face on. “Spheal, use Water Gun into one of the holes!”

Spheal shoots a jet of water into the nearest hole and eventually the holes start filling. After a few seconds, the Sandshrew pops up out of the ground gasping for air.

“Spheal, Water Gun again!” The torrent slams into Sandshrew and sends it flying. The trainer tries to catch his Sandshrew, but misjudges the distance and ends up getting hit in the face by his own pokémon. Twilight recalls her Pokémon, thanking it.

“Heh, nice job Twi. That was pretty impressive thinking there.”

She blushes and looks away. “Aw, it’s just simple physics... Anyway, I believe I won, don’t I get a prize?”

“Actually, technically he beat me first, so I’d owe him money, but then you beat him so he’d give the money to you...” I shrug and hand some of my local currency to Twilight, which she accepts.

With that, we watch as the trainer rushes towards the nearest place he can take his Pokémon to. I take a Revive out of my bag and use it to get Geodude back on his figurative feet. He’s obviously not happy about losing. “Sorry man, that was kind of stupid on my part. I figured you’d just whoop him.” I return the now-conscious Geodude to his ball and our litle group carries on.

PreviousChapters Next