• Published 28th Jul 2014
  • 1,253 Views, 31 Comments

Pinkie's Secret - Winter_Solstice



The pressure of being eternally optimistic builds to the point where Pinkie can't stand it any longer, and she must find a release.

  • ...
3
 31
 1,253

Plans Within Plans

The next morning Spencer was slightly less disagreeable than the night before. The sight of Porter standing in front of the Inn, looking very sorry, did lift his spirits some.

“Am I going to get any more backtalk from you? Because I’m not in the mood,” he growled.

Porter hung his head and replied, “No boss. You were right; that “princess” needs to be taught some manners.”

“Good!” said Spencer. “I’m feeling generous now, so let’s get something to eat while I’m coming up with our next move.” He turned and walked in the direction of a nice restaurant they’d seen the day before. As such, he didn’t notice the look that passed between Porter and Spindle.

Now it was time for Spindle to play his part. “Say, boss, I might have a suggestion?”

“What?” replied Spencer. He didn’t bother looking around at them.

“I know a way you can get back at that princess but,” and here he looked around, “perhaps it’s best if we discuss it somewhere private.” The streets were starting to fill up with ponies doing their early morning tasks.

Spencer snorted. “The day you come up with a good idea will be the day Tartarus freezes over.” He chuckled at his own joke. “But I guess it wouldn’t hurt hear you out. At the very least I can get a good laugh out of it.”

They arrived at the café, and Spencer said, “Let’s get a table inside. That should be quiet enough.” A devious smile broke across his face. “In fact, I have an idea.” He walked up to the headwaiter and said, “See those tables in the back? I want to reserve them all.”

“Certainly, sir,” said the headwaiter. “When would you need them?”

Spencer stared at him. “Right now.”

“N-Now? But sir, my customers are coming in. You need to give us some ahead time.”

Spencer stared at him again. “Do you know who I am? Where’s the owner of this place?”

“I-I can get him for you. Please excuse me a moment.”

The headwaiter left while Spencer and his companions waited. Soon, he returned with an angry-looking pony in a suit. “Who wants to see me?” he said.

“That would be me. I’m Spencer Fortune, of the Fortune family. Perhaps you’ve heard of us?”

The look of anger was quickly replaced by one of avarice, and he said, “Of course I’ve heard of you! What would you like?!”

“All those tables in the back. My friends and I have business to discuss…private business.” He then brought out a checkbook, wrote out a number, and gave it to the owner. The owner’s eyes got as round as saucers when he saw the amount.

“Right away, SIR! Gaston, come with me!”

He and the headwaiter quickly made their way over to the few ponies that had been seated before Spencer’s arrival. The owner whispered to them, while Gaston looked apologetic. The three ponies with whom they spoke became angry, but got up to leave after the owner handed them each some bits.

Then he and Gaston came back and said, “Mister Fortune, your tables will be ready in just a moment.”

He clicked his tongue, and four buscolts appeared. After his hurried instructions they quickly cleaned and reset the tables. They then closed the section off with velvet ropes. The owner himself led Spencer and company over into the section and seated them.

“If there’s anything else you gentleponies need, please don’t hesitate to ask!”

Spencer waved him off while he perused the menu. Porter and Spencer were used to this all this prior behavior, so they each appeared undisturbed as they silently picked out their own choices. Calling the headwaiter over, they gave their orders.

“We want to be disturbed as little as possible. Is that understood?” Spencer added.

Gaston gulped and said, “Of course sir! We’ll have your meals out right away!”

After he left Spencer turned to Spindle and said, “This had better be good.”

-----

Showing unbelievable restraint, Spencer merely looked at Spindle when he was done speaking, and asked a single question.

“Are you out of your mind?”

“Please think about it, boss: she will never expect it from you, and will put her completely off her guard,” Spindle insisted. “Besides, we need a few more days here in Ponyville for this plan to work, and if I’m not mistaken that’s her on her way in here to see us onto the train.”

WHAT?!” Spencer cried, looking around. Sure enough, there was that upstart “Princess” talking to some ponies outside, probably the same ponies that had been asked to leave the restaurant earlier.

“Make up your mind quickly, boss…here she comes.”

Spencer stood and faced Twilight as she approached. Talking out the side of his mouth, he said, “If this doesn’t work, I’ll make sure you-“

“Good MORNING, Your Highness! I was just about to see you right after we’d had some breakfast!” he added breathlessly.

Twilight scowled at them all. “I thought I told you to be GONE on the first train.”

Spencer cast a dark look at Spindle, but then turned back to Twilight with the best smile he could manage and said, “Yes, about that. It was my intention to find you and…and to...APOLOGIZE…for our behavior last night.”

Twilight looked skeptical. “It seems you have more to apologize for. I understand you caused some ponies to be “asked” to leave this place so you could have this section to yourselves. Is that right?”

Now Spencer suppressed a smirk. He knew from negotiating with his father if a pony was still talking to you, they could be talked into anything, so he fully got into the spirit of what he was doing.

“Yes, I did. I’m used to a certain standard whenever I go out, and I’m afraid I wrongly expected that standard to apply here in Ponyville. Let us stay, and I promise I’ll both correct my behavior and make up for what I’ve done.”

“Why should I believe you?”

Spencer drew himself up. “Because I am a Fortune, and Fortunes always keep their word. Let me show you.” He signaled to the headwaiter, who came over reluctantly. Spencer gave him what appeared to be a genuine smile and said, “Please inform your patrons that their meals are all on me!” He turned back to Twilight and said, “That’s only the beginning.”

Twilight grimaced and said, “You can’t buy friendship and good will, Spencer.”

Spencer looked shocked. “That’s not my intention at all! I am merely making up for my behavior in the only way I know how.” He smiled.

Twilight was unconvinced, but said, “I don’t trust you, but you all can stay for now.” She turned to leave, but then added, “If I hear of ONE MORE incident I’ll put you on the train myself. In the luggage car.”

Spencer ground his teeth, and was about to blow the deal, when Spindle spoke up.

“That’s only fair, Your Highness. We’ll not mess up again.”

Twilight looked once more at Spencer, who had managed to contort his face back into something resembling a smile. She snorted, then left. As soon as she was out of earshot Spencer rounded on Spindle.

“I’ve never had to suck up to another pony in my life. Somepony is going to pay for that!”

“Please boss. It worked; we don’t have to leave. Yet.”

Spencer stopped and thought about it. “Yes. It DID work.” He sat back down. “So what’s the next step?” Spindle explained it to him, while Porter kept his eyes down and continued eating. When Spindle had finished speaking, Spencer looked at him with new eyes.

“I never knew you were so...devious. This might actually work.” He addressed Porter. “I suppose you know what you’re supposed to do?”

“Yes, boss: exactly and only what you tell me.”

Spencer smiled. “There may be hope for you after all.”