• Published 28th Jul 2014
  • 1,252 Views, 31 Comments

Pinkie's Secret - Winter_Solstice



The pressure of being eternally optimistic builds to the point where Pinkie can't stand it any longer, and she must find a release.

  • ...
3
 31
 1,252

Spencer's New Reality

Pinkie sat quietly thinking as the train made its way back to Ponyville. As somber and as silent as she was, it was nothing next to her reluctant travel companion.

Spencer had never been without money. Even as a foal, his parents had always made sure he had larger allowances than any of his schoolmates, so he had always taken being rich for granted. But now…now he was on a train with a pony that should by all rights hate him, traveling without a bit to his name.

It had taken some major convincing on Pinkie’s part for his father to allow him to travel beyond his sight, but he adamantly refused to give him a single coin. Only Pinkie’s assurance that she would take care of everything caused him to finally agree.

“If this doesn’t work, foal, you’ll never see another penny from me!” he said as they boarded the train.

Spencer hung his head, as Pinkie sadly looked at them both.

“Thanks Dad. I love you too.”

Spencer Sr. snorted, and he and his new guards walked away.

Now on the train for some hours, Spencer couldn’t help giving Pinkie suspicious looks from time to time. Why is she doing this? What’s her angle? These were the thoughts that plagued him as they clipped along. Finally the pressure was too much for him.

Clearing his throat he said, “Can I ask you a question? Why are you helping me? What are you getting out of it?”

Hearing the anger in his voice, Pinkie considered her answer before speaking.

“This may be hard for you to understand,” she finally said, “but some things are just the right thing to do. You and your father may honestly be beyond my help, but helping you is the right thing to do.”

“So again…what do you get out of it?”

She sighed. “I just told you.”

Spencer stared at her. “That doesn’t make any sense. Everypony wants something, everypony has a price. You’re trying to tell me you’re helping me just "because"? I don’t believe it.”

She sighed again and faced the window. “You’ll see.”

*****

As the train pulled into Ponyville, Pinkie saw a sight that made her hair poof back up: all of her friends, including Spike, were anxiously waiting and watching for her arrival. She bounded off the train, and bowled them all over.

“You have NO idea how much I missed you guys!” she cried.

“We missed you too, Pinkie,” managed Twilight as she strained for breath.

“Oops! Sorry!” Pinkie said as she released her deathgrip. The ponies all let out a collective gasp for air. As they all chattered and laughed together, Spencer crept out of the train with his one bag, and stood resentfully off to one side. He wasn’t allowed to stand there long, as Pinkie turned and introduced him to the ponies he hadn’t met. Spencer didn’t look up or reply when the names were read off, and an uncomfortable silence grew between them.

Finally Twilight said, “I can see this is hard for you, Spencer, but know we’ll do whatever we can to help.”

“Why?”

“I beg your pardon?”

“Why are you helping me? I wouldn’t do the same for you.”

“Listen, jerk, Twilight told us what you did. If I were you I’d show a little gratitude!” said Rainbow. Spencer smirked.

“Now that’s an attitude I understand,” he said.

“Why you—“ she began, but Twilight cut her off.

“It’s okay, Rainbow. We didn’t agree to be his friend, just to help him. I suppose it’s too much to ask for him to change.”

“You still haven’t told me ‘why.’”

Twilight sighed. “I don’t think I have an answer you’d understand.”

“Whatever.”

At this Rainbow started to flare up again, along with AJ, but Twilight said, “Why don’t you get him situated, Pinkie? We can all talk again afterwards.”

“Okie dokie, Twilight! C’mon, Spencer!” said Pinkie as she bounced in place. “Sugarcube Corner is this way!”

“I know where it is. Let’s just get this over with.”

“See you guys!” she called over her shoulder. Spencer trudged along behind her, levitating his bag, which caused his resentment only to grow. He never had to carry his own things before.

“What’s your problem?” he said as they walked along.

“What do you mean?” asked Pinkie.

“The bouncing. The mane. You’re acting weird.”

“This is ME, silly! Seeing my friends has made me so happy!”

“Well, could you rein it in? It’s getting on my nerves.”

At this her mane deflated slightly, and she stopped bouncing. “Sorry, Spencer. I know some ponies find me hard to be around sometimes. But there’s something we obviously need to get straight.” She stopped in her tracks and looked him dead in the eyes. “I love being me. I love my friends. We’re all trying to help you. So I think it is you who needs to change your attitude. Do you understand me?”

He backed up a few steps and said, “Okay, sure, fine, whatever you say.” Then he had the decency to drop his gaze first. Satisfied her point had been made, she turned and started on their way again.

After a few more minutes walking he said,” Why are we going to Sugarcube Corner again? I’m not hungry.”

“This is where you’ll be staying,” she replied.

“What?! I’m not staying in a bakery! You can’t do this to me!”

Pinkie stopped and looked at him again. “I thought you understood. You have no bits of your own, and I don’t get paid for another week. This is the best I can offer.”

“I refuse! Take me to the Inn; I know you Pies are rich, you can afford it!”

She stared at him for a moment longer, and then said,” I can, but I’m not going to.” Then she took a step closer to him and again looked him in the eyes. “Understand something: a favor is being done for you. We don’t have to help you; you can get back on the train to Canterlot and take your chances with your father, or you can stay here and accept our help, with all the conditions. Your choice.”

Spencer stared back at her and saw she was serious, and then started to really think about his predicament. He soon realized he had no choice, so he gruffly said, “Fine! Just don’t expect me to thank you.”

She sighed. “I don’t.”

Comments ( 1 )

This was, interesting. It did not go in the direction I thought it would go.

Login or register to comment