• Published 27th Jul 2014
  • 1,003 Views, 32 Comments

Twin Night Terror's - FluffyDoom



An old pony’s tale draws two twins to everfree forest. When they find the tale to be true, one soon regrets the adventure, while the other enjoys the outcome a little too much.

  • ...
3
 32
 1,003

Reading before Bed-Time

Chapter 1: The Pony Tale.

Twins Astra and Shimmer eagerly read the book they had borrowed from Princess Twilight Sparkle, who still insisted on being a librarian in her spare time. The twins were not identical, but they were close enough to being identical that many ponies got them mixed up. They lived a few miles from Ponyville in an abandoned farm house. What many ponies didn’t know about the young twins was that they had no parents.

Astra was a pure white unicorn mare with a pure black mane and light blue eyes. Her pegasus sister, Shimmer, had light silvery fur that could be seen as white. Her mane was a dark grey, but not jet black like Astra’s and she had piercing yellow eyes thats oddly made ponies shiver in fear when she got angry and turned her furious eyes on them. Both lacked cutie marks, despite their age.

The twins were 15, soon to be 16, and they hoped that would make their lives easier, but for now they escaped their harsh world by reading fantasy books and legends. The current one they were reading was suggested by the Princess of Friendship herself. It was titled, The Night Gems.

It told of a place deep in the hidden bowels of the Everfree, and in the forest there was a cave that held three types of treasures. Gold and gems, knowledge, and power. The girls wonder about this place, the gold would be useful, and with the knowledge they could educate themselves, but what was this power?

The story didn’t say much about it, simply that it was an untapped power, and various, but weaker forms of it, would sometimes escape into the world. Animals could also represent both powers. It only hinted at wolves though.

“Timber Wolves?” Shimmer pondered.

“Or maybe their unseen cousins, grey wolves.” Astra shuddered in fear. She heard they were ten times worse, highly aggressive and stronger than a timber wolf who was more likely to flee.

Shimmer shrugged. “I heard that not all grey wolves are actually grey, some are brown, while others are black.”

“Wow, well, as long as I don’t run into them, I don’t care!” Astra announced, than an idea popped into her head. “Though… Say this power is real, and grey wolves do represent it. Wouldn’t that make it an awesomely strong power?”

Shimmer widened her eyes in wonder. “Woah Astra, and if we got our hooves on that power? Think of all the good we could do!”

“Not only that, we could get a new home!” Astra squealed in happiness.

Shimmer grinned, but it quickly faded. “But who says this cave is even real?” She whispered. “I don’t want to get my hopes up for nothing, Astra.” She looked at her sister sadly. “This is just a book, and it simply holds an untrue fable.”

Astra looked at her frowning. “We don’t know that!” She argued. “We don’t know if it is true or not!” Astra wanted to continue, but a large yawn escaped her.

Shimmer grinned slightly. “Come on Astra, we can talk in the morning. Lets go to bed now.” The pegasus suggested.

Astra didn’t hesitate to nod her head. “Ok, lets go.” She agreed.

They made their way up the creaky stairs that lead to what used to be a master bedroom, but was now a dusty moth-ridden room that held rickety bed big enough to fit them both. This was the only room with a bed, they preferred to share one anyway, it made them feel safer. It had one lamp that didn’t work, a closet full of destroyed cloth, and a nearby bathroom they preferred to only use in emergencies. Considering they had to hoof-clean it because there was no plumbing in the abandoned house.

The two sisters got on the old wooden bed and spring mattress that made their backs ache in the morning, though it was still better than the disgusting carpet floor that had changed colors from pure white to a disturbing brown and gray. They settled into bed and soon were sleeping. The day had taken it out of them: they had traveled to Ponyville which was three miles from their home, waited in a long line just to get a book from the princess herself, and then were forced to walk back home on empty stomachs, and still were unable to eat for the rest of the day because there was nothing to eat that day!

The day was behind them though, and hurting stomachs were soon forgotten in the bliss of soft slumber.

Astra floated around in the dark sky. She didn’t wonder why she could fly, let alone why she had wings in the first place, and why these wings were bat wings. She still had her horn, and in her amused dreamscape, she wondered to herself, Heheh, does this make me some type of batty alicorn? Or just batty!

Her body rose above her home and alighted just before the Everfree forest. In her dream she didn’t want to go in there, and would much rather have visited canterlot, or some other grand place, but it was like she had suddenly lost control of her dream. Her beautiful white hooves clip-clopped their way down an underused path. As she walked the Night Gems book appeared next to her.

Lines from it came back to memory, and she let herself be swept up in the dream of adventure.

“Adventure!” She chuckled as she used her horn to open the book and read from it. “First, my little pony, WAKE UP!”

Her voice did not screech that last two words, in fact the last two words belonged to an oddly familiar voice.

“WAKE UP!” The voice screeched again and she was thrust from her dream.

Confused and dazed Astra bolted up and looked around in fear, but could only see her very angry sister.

“Sh-Shimmer?” She grinned weakly, then saw what made her so angry.

Astra had been sleep casting her magic.

Author's Note:

So, very short, do not expect them to be short this often. Using Google docs, and it is about a page and a half. I like to make my chapters 3 pages minimum! Well, comment any big mistakes please. Hope you like what is too come next >:D. OH, and hope you didn't mind this chapter.