• Published 18th Jul 2014
  • 5,325 Views, 196 Comments

The Pale Prince - Dark_Knight



Death, the eldest of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, has been given a new chance at life as a reward from the Creator Himself for all the good he's done in life.

  • ...
13
 196
 5,325

Chapter 1

Princess Luna landed gracefully at the edge of the crater just as her Night Guard were surrounding it. Unlike her sister's Day Guard, who wore golden armor and helmets enchanted to make them identical in the Pegasi and Earth Ponies' having white coats with blue manes and tails, and the Unicorn's having greyish-brown coats and white manes and tails, Luna's guard were a special race of ponies called Thestrals or "Bat Ponies" due to their uncanny resemblance to the flying mammals, and a single Thestral had 10x the loyalty to Luna than half of Celestia's guard to their respective diarch. But her thoughts weren't on that little history tidbit, however, as she had all of her concentration on the smoking pit that was the result of some space debris that she, for some reason, couldn't sense fall from her night sky.

"Your Majesty," Luna turned her turquoise gaze from the crater to her captain, Shadow Blade, a Thestral stallion with the traditional grey fur and two-toned blue mane and tail done in a crew-cut, his blue irises cut almost completely in half by the thin line of his pupils, "methinks that t'would be much safer if Thou wouldst return to thine quarters, as it could be dangerous, whatever lurks at the bottom of that pit."

Luna rolled her eyes at her over-protective Night Guard Captain. A drawback to having such extremely loyal guards: half of them become extremely paranoid when it comes to the safety to their Night Princess and the half that aren't intimidate anypony that so much as looks at Luna the wrong way,

"We are not a foal, Shadow Blade," the alicorn replied, "We hath faced much more menacing things than just some glorified trespasser, and as We could not sense it fall from our Night, We have come to see why."

Shadow Blade was about to argue before they heard a groan come from the crater. The Night Captain jumped in front of Luna while she rolled her eyes and pushed him out of the way and trotted carefully to the edge, her horn glowing a sapphire aura as she prepared to cast a spell and flaring her dark blue wings out to either side. She stopped as she saw a bone-white hoof reach up from the edge of the crater and latched on, pulling the rest of the body up to reveal probably the strangest thing that both Luna and the guards have ever seen since Discord.

It was an Earth Pony stallion with a bone coloured coat and a short fiery green mane and tail, with pale green eyes that looked like they could drive a pony insane by just looking into them, and on his flank was a black pit that had the souls of different kinds of creatures swirling around in it, their ghostly faces contorted in pain, sorrow, and most of all, despair. but what really made them look twice at the pony was that it didn't have a muscular Earth Pony build, in fact, at first glance anypony would have assumed that he was a Pegasus due to his scrawny frame. Luna cancelled out her magic and was about to ask the mysterious pony what he was doing here before he looked directly at her and spoke.

"Where the Hell am I?", his voice was raspy, almost as if it were a corpse, and unnerved Everypony that heard it.

Luna quickly regained her composure and walked up to the stallion, fixing her steely gaze on him. "Thou art trespassing upon the grounds of the Castle of the Two Sisters, home to our sister Celestia, Raiser of the Sun, and ourself, Luna, Ruler of the Night," she answered, "now, who art thou?"

The stallion looked at her as if she had spoken a foreign language, before hitting his face with his forehoof in a matter most undignified for being in the presence of royalty and groaned. "Great," he said as he dragged his hoof down his face, "I just find out that I can talk with my mouth and I end up on a world that still speaks ancient Human." Before Luna could ask what he was talking about, he continued. "And to answer your question, my name is Despair, Mount to Death, the Fourth Horseman of the Apocalypse, yada yada yada."

Before anypony could come up with a response there was another groan coming from the pit, causing Everypony present, including Despair, to look back at the still smoking crater. Just as Luna was going to clear the smoke to get a better look, a shape rocketed upwards into the air, before quickly circling around and cutting off the heads of all the spears the guard were using, then landing with a thud, causing Everypony, even the Princess of the Night and the Mount to Death, to gasp in surprise at what they all assumed was the true creator of that blast.

This pony was tall, just barely a head taller than Luna, with a corpse-grey coat and a black mane and tail that flowed off of his body like a flame (imagine Sombra's mane), all four of his hooves were rapped up in old wrappings that looked like the gauze found on mummies, strapped to his left shoulder was a steel pauldron that depicted a demon scowling in anger.




his horn was curved upwards, like a dagger, and had a deathly green color to it, and was glowing with royal purple mana. Luna then noticed the two scythes levitating at either side of the pony, they were identical to the smallest detail: they were a strange metal that resembled a mixture of ebony and steel that had depictions of faces of the dead forged onto both sides that ended with a curved tip, and on the other end was a skull with an opened mouth, giving the illusion of it regurgitating the blade, and the handles that connected the blades were wrapped with purple wrappings, almost hiding the matching magical aura that was levitating them.





His face was very handsome, causing all the mares present (even Luna) to blush upon looking at it, and his eyes were an orange hue, upon first glance showing the eyes of a gladiator or killer, Luna saw past that, showing it to be a façade to hide pain, misery, sorrow, and regret. Upon his flank was a black horse skull, with black runes surrounding it, which the princess immediately recognized as runes of the dead, chiseled onto the walls of ancient tombs to allow the dead to rest in peace. His wings were flared out on either si- wait, WINGS?!

Everypony gawked at the wings on him, then back at the horn on his head, then to their princess, who was staring wide eyed at what seemed to be the most impossible thing to exist: a male alicorn! She walked up to the stallion with her eyes still wide. "Who art thou?", she asked. He turned his gaze to focus solely on Luna, causing the female alicorn to blush.

"My name, is Death." he answered, then proceeded to fold up his scythes and levitate them to the loops on the belt he was wearing, before bowing deeply with his wings flared and eyes closed, causing Despair to do the same, "and what would be the name of a beautiful mare such as thineself?"

Luna's entire face and muzzle changed from dark blue to bright red in a matter of seconds.

"M-my name i-is Luna," she stuttered out, completely forgetting the royal 'We', before shaking her head to clear her blush before continuing, "Come, I shall take thee to mine sister, Celestia, she will want to see you."

Death and Despair got back up from their bows as the Night Princess' horn began to glow, and in a flash of blue light, they disappeared from the gardens.


***

To say Death was confused would be the understatement of the millennium. One second, he was talking to the Creator Himself, then the next he was at the bottom of a crater (which he had a feeling that he had something to do with its' creation), he then saw a group of what appeared to be bat-pony hybrids in black and dark-grey armor. He's seen stranger. they all had their spears trained on the perimeter of the pit he was in.

Death attempted to stand up, only to stop at dog-position for some reason before realizing something: he couldn't feel his shins on the ground. He craned his head back to look at legs belonging to a horse, the insignia of the Horsemen surrounded by runes of the dead on his flank, a belt that was holding Chaos Fang on either side, and wings on both sides of his abdomen. He groaned louder than he intended to at the Creator's, as the modern humans called it, 'trolling', because all of the ponies immediately snapped their heads back towards him.

He decided to give his new body a test run, before realizing that, as a horse, he didn't have hands, meaning he couldn't grip his scythes. The former Nephillim looked back at his scythes and concentrates, hoping to summon the power of the Reaper to hold the blades, instead, the handles of Chaos Fang glowed a royal purple, before detaching themselves' from Death's belt and unlatching the blades. He looked up at his forehead to see a long, curved horn protruding from it.

So, I'm an Alicorn, he mused to himself, before stretching his wings out and jumping up into the night sky. Flying was easier than Death thought, because he was able to get out of the hole, use his scythes to cut the heads off of the spears the guards were using, and successfully landed in in the direction the ponies' were looking towards. The Rider looked up from his crouching position to see a bat-pony stallion that was clearly dressed as a commanding officer, possibly a captain, a pony that was definitely Despair, and the most beautiful woman (or mare), he's ever seen.

The Creator must have given Death the local's viewpoint as well as their body type, because he didn't find horses attractive until just now. it was an Alicorn like him except with a dark blue coat that matched the color of the night sky, she was a full head shorter than him, and her horn was segmented, like a Unicorn's, and on her flank was a crescent moon against a black background, but what cut him off guard was her mane and tail: they both blew in a non-existent breeze and had stars shining on them, resembling the night sky above them, Death also noticed the black tiara on her head, signifying her being royalty. The female Alicorn trotted up to him, never taking her eyes off of the former Nephillim.

"Who art thou?", she asked in what was admittedly his favorite dialect: ancient Human English. Death decided that it was no use keeping secrets as she didn't seem to recognize the symbol on his flank, meaning that they've probably never even heard of the Nephillim in the first place, much less the Horsemen.

"My name, is Death," the Pale Rider answered, before deciding to go into the deepest, most respectful bow that he's ever done and asked, "and what would be the name of a beautiful mare such as thineself?", he asked in ancient Human.

"M-my name i-is Luna," He heard the mare stutter out, Latin for moon, appropriate, Death thought to himself, before he heard Luna talk again.

"Come, I shall take thee to mine sister, Celestia, she will want to see you."

Death got up from his bow and saw Luna's horn begin to take on a blue color. Before he could ask what she was doing, he was blinded by a flash of blue light and saw that they were now in some sort of bed chamber that was decorated to look like the day. The Rider then looked at Luna as she made her way to the sleeping form in the bed in front of them, she stopped at the side before looking back at Death.

"You might want to cover your ears, Despair." Death looked to his side to see that his steed was next to him, they both shrugged as they turned back to Luna as she took a deep breath and roared so loudly that it could only be likened to a dragon fornicating a thunderstorm.

"WAKE UP, TIA!!!!!"