• Published 18th Jul 2014
  • 5,326 Views, 196 Comments

The Pale Prince - Dark_Knight



Death, the eldest of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, has been given a new chance at life as a reward from the Creator Himself for all the good he's done in life.

  • ...
13
 196
 5,326

Chapter 4

Death opened his eyes to find himself in the strangest of places: a library. But instead of the marble and gold decorum of the White City, or the rustic functionality of Earth's, this was a rather small library, with four wings on each side. Death looked up at the wing in front of him and saw a circle cut in thirds, with the outline of a Unicorn in the left part, a Pegasus on the right, and an Earth Pony below. There was also a line coming from the Earth Pony section, leading to another circle with a smaller outline of the former, studded with gems, a line also came from the Pegasus section with an outline of what he recognized as Luna's guard. Like the other two, the Unicorn part also had a line drawn, but instead of solid gold like the other five, this circle was carved from pure obsidian, and the pony on it had a long, curved horn resembling the Rider's, and its mouth was open, showing four sharp fangs.

The hallway to Death's left had a gold circle emblazed above the entrance, but instead of a pony, he was greeted with the silhouette of a creature with what looked like the wings, talons, and face of an eagle and the posterior of a lion, a Griffon. The hallway behind him had a creature with the appearance of a demon on the gold plate, but its' horns pointed straight up like a bulls' instead of curving like a rams', and its' lower half looked satyr-like. The final corridor on Death's right had a dragon carved on the surface of the precious metal.

Strange, the former Nephillim thought, I could've sworn that I fell asleep in the guest chambers...

"And you still are." a voice that sounded like a mothers own said, as if reading Death's thoughts. It was then that the former Horseman noticed the center of the room, which had a pony with her back turned to him, books surrounding her in a golden aura, with quills in the same coloured aura scribbled furiously in the pages. She turned from the podium in front of her to look at the visitor, smiling. She was alabaster white, just a touch darker than Celestia's, and had a rust-colored mane and tail, Death also noticed that like him and the sisters', she was an Alicorn, but for some reason her mane didn't flow in a non-existent breeze, but rather was cut into bangs, she had pale blue eyes that when looked at, contained wisdom and knowledge that no creature, alive or dead, above or below, could fathom.

Before Death could speak, the mysterious mare raised her hoof.

"I know you have many questions, so I'll just answer the ones I'd wager are on top of the list first.," the female Alicorn said in a motherly voice that seemed to reassure the male. "This is my realm, where I keep records of every living sentient being that has, is, and will be born." She looked at Death to see if he was paying attention, after seeing it undivided, she continued, "I summoned you from your sleeping form so I could get a good look at who Big Brother sent to help with my darling baby Luna."

Death's jaw dropped comically to the floor.

"You're the Creator's Little Sister?!," he asked with a look of disbelief on his face. The Goddess chuckled before grabbing a picture frame in her magical aura and floating it over to the Rider, allowing him to see quite the picture. On the far right was the mare standing before him, but a little smaller, and wearing glasses, next to her was another quadruped, but looked a little more outlandish, with deer-like legs, alabaster white with grey, gold, and black streaks, no mouth, and green and red eyes, with a ring surrounding its' midsection. (For those of you who didn't catch on, here's a link). Next to that one were what appeared to be a married couple, the male appearing humanoid, with the exception of an ebony-black body covered in white specs, giving the illusion of the night sky, and his eyes resembling mini suns, while the female was the polar opposite, wearing a dirt-brown dress with forest-green trim, which looked as if she was wearing the earth itself, her eyes a swirling earthen vortex. And next to the couple was the glowing orb that he knew was the one Who brought him to this world.

Before the Rider could say anything, he was swept into a bone-crushing hug by the Alicorn mare. She then looked at Death's eyes with her own tear-filled ones.

"I just wanted to give you my deepest thanks for helping my dear Luna," Faust began, "I kept watching, again and again, how while my eldest daughter kept openly receiving her praise from the Ponies', her sister never took notice of the revelries and feasts in honor of her night.

"But," the mare added, wiping her tears, "I hope you can change that."

As she finished, Death's vision began to blur, until he passed out, the last thing the Rider saw before the darkness the mother of the Royal Sisters' smiling face.


***

The rays of Celestia's sun were peaking through the windows into the guest bedchambers, but what had awoken the rooms' only inhabitants, a bone-white Earth Pony stallion with a flame-green mane and tail, as well as a corpse-grey Alicorn male, was the sound of a hoof knocking on the door, followed by the voice neither one has heard previously.

"The Princess wishes for the company of thee and thine guard at breakfast." stated a female voice. Death and Despair looked at eachother before getting up from their respective sleeping arrangements (Despair had chosen to sleep on the couch, seeing as he could fit on one now that he was 3/4 his previous size and weight) and left their room, following the maid that had awoken them to the kitchens.

Upon entering, both stallions were greeted by a sight most strange to them: a vegetarian feast. The table was filled with all kinds of fruits and vegetables, each produce looking riper than the last, and at the end of the table was the alabaster Alicorn Luna had introduced the former Nephillim to last night. Celestia's strawberry pink mane was now blowing in a non-existent wind, much like her nighttime counterpart, and was wearing a gilded horseshoe on each hoof, as well as a solid gold chestplate that had an amethyst put in the center. On her head, just behind her spiraling horn, was a golden crown.

"Ah, Death," said the solar diarch as she noticed the aforementioned stallion enter, "come and sit, we have much to discuss."

The male Alicorn selected the chair on the other side of Celestia's table and sat down, confused as to how exactly a quadruped could perform such a feat. He then turned his attention to his female counterpart, his expression emotionless.

"My sister and I plan on introducing thou to the other royals' at the ball here tonight, but first we must choose an alias for thee." explained the Sun Princess, before adding, "It is not that there are any issues with thine name-"

"But thou wouldst prefer my name be a little less... intimidating?", Death interrupted with a slightly amused expression on his face, "I understand perfectly, I would rather try to avoid someone who has named themselves after the very thing that all creatures, mortal or otherwise, fear.

"In fact, I have a name perfect for the occasion, an old friend of mine," the Rider continued, "I believe Azrael wouldst suffice. Where I come from, Azrael is the name of an Angel, who was tasked by the Creator to guard the entrance into the afterlife, as to make sure the forces of darkness don't take control."

The Sun Princess looked at Death and nodded her head, happy with the information provided to her.

"Very well," she responded, "for now, I must attend the Day Court. Luna must sleep during the day as to fulfill her duties as Princess of the Night, so she is not to be disturbed. And I want thee to send thy guard post-haste to the blacksmith for armor fitting, as well as training with my guards in the courtyard." without even waiting for the male Alicorn's response, Celestia trotted out of the room, which, luckily for her, saved her from the seething anger of Death at her demanding tone.

She might be a princess, thought Death, but she doesn't have to be an absolute biiiiii-plothead.

Yet another thing that the Rider wasn't told by the Creator: along with being given the natives' concepts of beauty, hunger, etc., Death was also forced to use their curse-words as well. After calming down, Death sent Despair to see the blacksmith and head to the courtyard, then decided to do some exploring.

That's when things got weird.

While exploring the Solar half of the castle, Death stumbled upon what appeared to be a commoner, as the pony wasn't in guard or cleaning uniform. She was a pigment less grey Pegasus with a straw-colored mane and tail and seven bubbles on her flank, but what confused the former Nephillim was that the mare seemed to be staring at a statue of a Pegasus with its' face covered by its' hooves, as if it were crying.

"Excuse me," said Death gaining the mare's attention, he was again surprised at seeing her left eye obeying the direction her face was pointing, which was towards the Alicorn, but the other still being trained on the statue.

you know what, after seeing Absolom and the Abominations, I'm surprised that I'm even phased by this...

"Hey there, mister!," said the Pegasus quite possibly the most adorable voice that the stallion had ever heard, "Do you think that you could help me watch it?" she asked, gesturing towards the statue.

Death tilted his head, "Why would a statue need watching?"

"Because it's a Weeping Pegasus." replied a voice behind the Rider. He turned around to find the owner of the voice, seeing a chestnut brown Earth Pony stallion with a chocolate brown mane and tail, his Cutie Mark was an hourglass, and he was wearing a white collar and green necktie, in his ear was some device.

But what Death focused on was the eyes.

The stallion's eyes were sky blue and had a thin layer of humor and charm, obviously to fool other ponies into thinking he was as such. But Death was no other pony, and he was easily able to strip that layer away, exposing the true creature that was underneath, and what he saw was something that Death never thought possible. He saw hundreds of years of pain, isolation, madness, regret, and genocide.

What the Eldest Brother of the Four Horseman saw, was a reflection.

The stallion walked up to the Rider with a playful smirk, "Hello, I'm the Doctor," he then gestured to the mare, "and this is my companion, Ditzy Doo. And who, are you."

Before Death could answer, an ear-piercing screech echoed behind the three ponies, and Ditzy realized that with the Doctor here, she focused both eyes on him.

Nopony was watching the statue.

But when Death turned around, the statue was two feet away, lying on its' back with a forehoof raised in an attempt for protection against some kind of threat.

"Is it supposed to do that?" the Rider asked the Doctor.

The Earth Pony shook his head in utter disbelief, "no, they've never even shown any indication of this."

"What?"

"Fear."

Death just looked at the statue, walked up to it. as he was in no mood to deal with this, he used his magic to unsheathe Chaos Fang, then combined the two blades into one scythe. rearing his head back, the weapon following his movements, he swung the blade at the stone sculpture.

The Doctor looked at the scene with horror filled eyes, "Stop! Nothing can kill a-" the sound of metal slicing through stone interrupted him, and he saw the Alicorn separate the weapon and latch them onto his belt loops. Then, the head of the Weeping Pegasus slid off its' neck, shattering as it hit the castle floor.

He killed it... Someone had actually managed to kill the unkillable.

Death just walked past the two dumbfounded ponies with a smirk on his face. He decided that he needed to brush up on the customs of this world. He was whistling a happy little tune he heard the Solar guard do the entire time.

Author's Note:

Finally! It's here!

Sorry that it seemed so out of sorts, I just wanted to get this out of the way as soon as possible.

NEXT TIME: Death mingles with royalty and nobility, and a surprise guest comes to test the horseman's mettle.

Question time: What do you think the Weeping Pegasus was so frightened of that it tried to run away from them?