• Published 9th Apr 2012
  • 6,060 Views, 187 Comments

Croitre - Recon



What IS this irregular heartbeat?

  • ...
26
 187
 6,060

Lost

Lost
12

Rainbow Dash looked around, now in the safe haven of a makeshift abode in a forest, not too far from Canterlot. It had taken her hours and hours of flight and contemplation, but she decided this was the best place for her. She would be safe here. She would, right? There was a light drizzle of rain dampening the forest as the night encroached on the fading sunset, eliminating the last visible light source, save the capital city in the distant winter horizon. Some of the light managed to seep through the vegetation into her area, but none of it reached her.

She let out a soft sigh, anxiously pawing at her left hoof. She averted her eyes to the towering trees, the rain trickling down the trees onto her tired face. The same question kept repeating in her head. Why? She tried to think back, tried to think about what happened and how it happened between the two in such a short span of time. She tried to think back to a time where she was this sad; surely, this was one of the lowest points in her life thus far. It had been the one thing that had broken through her façade of confidence and arrogant poise. She was lost. She knew at first she shouldn’t be fooling around with this kind of stuff, but she let her heart get the best of her. Advice Rarity had told her one too many times. If only she had listened…

Through a clearing in the foliage, Rainbow saw a recognizable star. The North Star – Polaris – as Twilight had taught her in one of her astronomy lectures. Although they had a tendency to bore her to sleep in the brisk night air on the porch, she had picked up one thing. If she was ever lost, she would refer to Polaris to find her way home. She highly doubted that the star could guide her the long way from home this time.

Already in the brutally cold night, she sorely missed the comfort of her own home, and the comfort and warmth of her best friend. Her loneliness lingered on her as the short-lived memories of their relationship darted around in her head. From Twilight’s moving in, to the crash, to their first and only date together, the memories came back as an inundation enveloping her mind.

With a final sigh, she rested her head on a makeshift pillow of leaves and closed her eyes.

~

“That’s precisely why…” Twilight whispered, averting her eyes to the ground in a mix of guilt and disappointment. “I’m not sure I can return her feelings for me.” Rainbow’s eyes narrowed and drooped, her jaw opening in disbelief at the remark. Tears began to form beneath her half-lidded eyes, blurring her vision. Her mane folded over her face, blocking out the world. What was Twilight talking about? She loved her… Didn’t she? A searing pain hit her chest.

“It’s okay, Twilight,” Rarity assured. “I’m sure Rainbow will understand.” Her heart started beating more erratically, the more the conversation continued on. What the hell do you mean by, ‘Rainbow will understand’? She shut her eyes close, sliding down the tree she was behind. The tears from behind her closed eyes rolled down with her, forming a small puddle on the ground. She let her upper body lay limp, still managing to sit up. Ten words – that’s all it took to destroy the emotions of the once confident, reckless pegasus to nothing.

“Would you be so kind to talk it out with me? Maybe… We don’t have to go that far. Just take a deep breath and calm down...” Rarity continued in a relaxing voice.

Rainbow noticed another pain in her chest. More piercing in her heart.

“Well, you see…” she began. “Even before last night, I’ve been feeling that she’s had some sort of feeling for me. Ever s-since I’ve moved into Rainbow’s house, she’s been s-showing me a different side of herself. Instead of h-her normal, outgoing, proud self, she’s been more negligent and t-tolerant towards me…

“A couple nights ago, s-she openly told me she l-loved me, but I wasn’t sure it was t-that kind of love. I t-thought I l-loved her too, but… Oh, I just don’t know…”

More of the same pain, but intensified. Tears flooded down her body, waterlogging her prismatic mane which stuck to her face. Why was this happening? What could she have done to avert this? Why was Twilight even thinking like this? Her heart felt like it was pushing further back in her body, as if it was being stabbed by a knife. She elicited a few low whimpers, hopefully inaudible to anyone else.

“That’s okay, Twilight… I’m sure if you tell Rainbow, she’ll understand that it isn’t time yet, okay?”

That was it. She couldn’t take any more of this. She wasn’t sure she could take any more of herself. She was done. Picking herself up sluggishly, she slowly unfolded her wings to fly towards the now unfamiliar way of what she used to call ‘home’.

~

Rainbow slowly opened her eyes, recoiling at the beams of light shooting through the treetops above her. She let out a small groan. The leaves around her ruffled as she noticed there was still some foliage from her temporary housing on her. She brushed them off with a quick flick of her wings before folding them back in place.

The walls of her leaf house were all plastered down on the ground, probably torn apart by the wind and rain from last night. Her coat was still drenched from the rain, making her shiver. Again, she missed the warmth and comfort of her old home and her best friend. She still considered Twilight her best friend, regardless of how she felt. That’s why they call me Loyalty… Right?

She shivered again on the cold forest floor. Curling herself up, she let out another yawn as she prepared herself to go back to sleep. A voice echoed through the forest, seemingly directed at her.

“Oh, you’re awake.”