• Published 9th Apr 2012
  • 6,060 Views, 187 Comments

Croitre - Recon



What IS this irregular heartbeat?

  • ...
26
 187
 6,060

Finding Solace, part 1

Finding Solace, part one
04

Rainbow Dash lightheadedly stumbled out of bed, and immediately crashed onto the ground. The pain seared through her neck and back like a wildfire racing through a forest. Rainbow winced and froze in position, not wanting to see what other parts of her hurt from motion. She glanced up at her clock from her paralyzed position on the floor. 4:38. She couldn’t wake Twilight up for help at this time. Rainbow wondered if she could try to get back in bed. Slowly, she rose herself from the ground as gently as a Fluttershy, and finally got herself upright and walking.

Moving slowly towards the bed, Rainbow was trying ever so carefully to not pain her neck or back any more. As she carefully wrapped herself in her blanket, she realized she didn’t even remember how any of this happened. The only memory she had of the previous day was lying on a bed of clouds, half-unconscious, with her hero beside her ready to being her back. Possibly it was a new trick, but she quickly dismissed the thought. Thank Celestia Spitfire had been so kind to bring her back to Twilight.

Ah, Twilight… Dash sighed happily as the lavender mare encompassed her thoughts, and soon to be dreams, as her world and mind alike drifted into the null depths of the unconscious realm.

-

Twilight yawned and stretched as she was awoken by Celestia's beaming sun, piercing through the windows and gaps in the cloud house, causing an iridescent light display. Rainbow’s lucky to live in such a gorgeous house, Twilight thought.

Twilight made her way upstairs, grabbing a glass of water and an apple. She wondered how Rainbow Dash was doing. Sonic Rainbooming into clouds, or any surface nevertheless, couldn’t have felt too pleasant. Twilight wondered what flying was like. Although Rainbow Dash had brought her into and above the skies, she didn’t really get a feel of what it was like to fly on your own; especially when you surpass the sound barrier. She was starting to develop a desire for action or adventure. Or maybe it was something else...?

She was upstairs, and went into Rainbow’s room. Rainbow was still sleeping, again on her side. Twilight walked up to her bedside table, and laid the apple and water there. When she put down the glass, she noticed had Rainbow woken up.

Rainbow yawned. “Huh?” she asked, still appearing to be dazed. “Oh, good morning Twilight!” Rainbow immediately perked up and smiled at her. Since when did Rainbow call her “Twilight”? It was usually – no, it was always either “Egghead” or occasionally “Twi”. She couldn’t recall the last time; if at all that Rainbow had called her Twilight.

Rainbow attempted to get out of bed, but Twilight stopped her with a hoof on her chest. “No, Rainbow. You need to stay in bed and rest up a little.”

Rainbow looked at her and smiled. “Okay.”

Twilight raised an eyebrow. This was definitely not the untamed, adventurous, disobedient Rainbow Dash she knew. Ever since Twilight moved in, she’d become more… Refined. But why?

“Uh, Rainbow Dash…” Twilight looked at her shiftily. “Are you okay? Like, okay-okay?”

Rainbow tilted her head. “What do you mean, Twilight?”

“I mean, you’ve been acting all different and not yourself!”

“Huh?” Rainbow looked genuinely confused.

“You seem – being all – oh, never mind.” Twilight put the thought aside, deciding she could get used to the “new” Rainbow Dash.

And there it was. It hit her again. Twilight’s irregular heartbeat. A sudden revelation hit her. Her irregular heartbeat only happened… When she was with Rainbow Dash. Whenever they had shared physical contact, namely. Even just a light conversation or thoughts of her seemed to set it off, much like right now. Could it be that thing Rarity keeps talking to me about? What was it called…? Love? It was an obscure topic to Twilight. The only exposure she had to… “Love” … was the set of romance novels that Fluttershy had lent her when she first asked her and Rarity at the spa what love was. Even then, it was just fabricated “love”, devoid of meaning to Twilight.

In any event, Twilight never really thought of love before. She was usually busy with studies, and after all, she had only been in Ponyville for a year; a time even she considered too small to build even strong friendship, let alone love. Then again, she’s grown closer to these ponies than anyone or anything in the world, rivaling maybe even her brother and Princess Cadence.

“Twilee? Are you okay?” Rainbow’s use of her brother’s pet name broke through her mystifying daydream.

“D-Did you just call me Twilee?” She said not unkindly, but surprised.

“Oh,” Rainbow muttered, a trace of crimson shade forming on her cheeks. “I forgot,” she said with a laugh and a sheepish grin. She was trying to play it off, as to not reveal her feelings for Twilight.

“No, no,” she assured. “It’s cute.” She felt her cheeks flush up. In the heat of the moment, Twilight drew up closer to Rainbow, and nuzzled her. She pulled back and smiled at her, a deeper shade of red encompassing both of their faces.

-

Twilight took note of Rainbow's behavior throughout the day, from dawn to dusk. She found solace now that she understood deep interaction, without the use of studies. She came to accept Rainbow without checking off a mental checklist for signs of love. It was evident enough. Rainbow was now kind, caring, and compassionate. A different Rainbow Dash. It seemed that Rainbow had some sort of special affection for her. Something deeper than even the bonds of friendship she had worked so passionately to craft with the others; Fluttershy, Rarity, Applejack, Pinkie Pie... But Rainbow had something else for Twilight. Something more. Something sweet. Something... She needed, although she wasn't certain yet if she could reciprocate Rainbow's evident feelings for her. Twilight wasn't even sure she felt anything special for Rainbow yet... But things change.

Dear Princess Celestia and Princess Luna,

I learned that friendship can reach out beyond its limits, and build something truly magnificent. My friend Rarity tells me its called "Love". When friendship progresses far enough, that's what they call it - love. And my studies in love have just begun.

Your faithful student,
Twilight Sparkle.