• Published 9th Apr 2012
  • 1,497 Views, 50 Comments

Three Worlds - BlueEyedMelloon



Young fillies do their best to stay friends among a war torn Equestria.

  • ...
0
 50
 1,497

Spell Gone Awry

"Chapter One- A Spell Gone Awry"
Author- Blue Eyed Melloon
MLP- Hasbro






"Ok my little ponies! It's time to come inside!"

There were groans and shouts as twenty young unicorn ponies detached themselves from the play toys, jumping from swings at the peak of their height and raced to line up outside Canterlot Elementary. Each colt and filly lined up according to alphabetical order against the brick wall outside of the classroom, and a unicorn mare with a sunshine yellow coat, blue striped mane and tail and cheery pink eyes held a clipboard with magic in front of her face. She went down the line, calling each pony's name as she passed and checking them off with a light blue aura covered quill.

"Autumn Breeze?"

"Here!"

"Banana Fluff?"

"Here!"

"Berry Pinch?"

"Here Miss Lemon Hearts!"

With each tiny voice she checked their name off on the list. A squeal farther down the line caused a momentary pause in attendance, though Lemon Heart’s eyes never left the names levitated in front of her. She sighed, recognizing the squeal and mentally counted to ten. There was a white flash as a filly leapt out of line, staring with one wide blue eye at the colt next to her. The other was covered in amethyst hairs curled to perfection despite the repose outdoors.

"Don't you dare come near me with that!" Her voice held the commanding power of a queen, the persona completed with a regal accent. The colt in question grinned mischievously, holding out his hoof toward the white filly's nose. "But Rarity, don't you think it's pretty? It’s just like those stones you like to collect!" The filly named Rarity squealed again, pushing another foal in front of her in an effort to get away from what turned out to be a very large red beetle perched on the colt's hoof. There was a myriad of snickers and more attempts to get away from the overlarge bug. The clipboard lowered and with a disapproving snort, Lemon Hearts trotted to the end of the line, which was now alive with whispers, laughter and pointing.

"Ponet, just what are you doing to Rarity?" Her question was more accusatory than confusion, and her voice held a twinge of exasperation

"Aw, I was just showing her this cool beetle. How was I supposed to know she is afraid of them?"

Lemon Hearts' gaze was not amused as it froze the dusky blue colt in place. His wicked grin faded away, replaced with a look of angry contrite. "Sorry Rarity." He mumbled, just barely audible to the teacher and the very unhappy unicorn peeking out from behind her pony shield. Rarity looked at him and sniffed, tossing her expertly curled purple mane and pointing her nose to the sky. "You're a bully." She said, hitting his hoof and causing the beetle to take off in the opposite direction. She resumed her place in line, making sure to ignore Ponet with all of her power. The rest of the class giggled, covering their mouths with hooves when Lemon Hearts looked their way. She sighed and walked back to continue attendance.

"Graphite?"

"Here!"

"Holly Dash?"

=============

"Unicorns are the only ponies in Equestria who can control magic. Since the beginning of memory, there has been a special corps of unicorns dedicated to lifting the sun into the sky each morning, and a separate group to bring forth the moon. High in towers, they spent their whole lives dedicated to making sure day and night got equal share of the sky. Long ago, unicorn settlers who had felt that they were too crowded in other cities came to Canterlot when it was only a mountainside surrounded by forests. They were tired and hungry, and were looking for a new place to live. The land they found was beautiful, but harbored dangerous ponies that almost drove them away. These ponies didn't have magic, or wings. They lived off of the land in crude huts, and spoke in a strange, base language. King Nickle Note tried to reason with these earth ponies, tried to give them tools to help make better homes. But the earth ponies didn't want to hear them. They chased the unicorns up the mountain until the unicorns used magic to block the way for the barbarians. These brave unicorns used their magical skills to build a city high above the earth, where they would be safe. This city became Canterlot. The earth ponies returned to their homes that would one day become Ponyville."

Lemon Hearts finished writing her notes on the chalkboard, magically placing the chalk back into the tray with a small puff of dust before turning to face the class. Many of them were staring at her with mixtures of interest and boredom; Twinkle Toes was facedown in his book fast asleep. Only one filly was busily writing notes. A youngster with purple eyes currently hidden by a dark purple mane with a pink streak decorating it was sitting in the front row. Her pen was covered with a purple aura as she used to magically take notes. Lemon Hearts could almost hear her whispering to herself, as if trying to memorize the story right here and now. Her smile was warm as she drew her eyes from little Twilight Sparkle to address the entire class.

"The earth ponies soon realized that we were responsible for raising the sun each morning, and demanded that we raise it according to their rules. Our scientists told them that if we deviated from what our charts told us, then the whole world would be thrown off and they wouldn't be able to grow food efficiently. The arguments got heated, and the Chancellor of the Earth Ponies tried to attack Canterlot in an effort to change King Nickle Note and his advisors’ minds. In retaliation, the astronomy unicorns stopped raising the sun. Soon the earth was covered in eternal darkness, and the crops wouldn't grow. And while the unicorns with the talent for green magic could continue to coax plants to grow within the walls of Canterlot, there wasn't enough food for both cities. The earth ponies came to the gates of Canterlot and begged us to bring back the sun. As tribute, they agreed to give us a portion of their crops every year to feed our city, and they would never ask us to change our schedules again. The rulers of Canterlot agreed to these terms, and let the sun rise.

Unfortunately, this series of events led to...displeasure between the unicorns and earth ponies. Fights began to break out, and there was a threat of all-out war. But our King and their Chancellor created a peace treaty between them that allowed trade to be conducted. This treaty prevents them from attacking us again or demanding that we use magic to change the growing schedule. Most unicorns choose not to press their luck however, and stay here in Canterlot."

"Oh! Oh! Miss Lemon Hearts?" A light purple hoof was waving in the air frantically. There was a groan somewhere in the back of the classroom, and a few foals facehoofed. The pink filly next to the attentive student flashing her hoof in the air whispered “Nerd”. Lemon Hearts ignored the reactions from the other students and pointed at Twilight Sparkle with a hoof.

"Yes Twilight Sparkle?"

"What about the Pegasus?"

"Pegasi." Lemon Hearts corrected her gently. Twilight nodded, crossing out a section of her notes and scribbling something in. "Pegasus is for only one of them. Well, the Pegasi saw the tribute the unicorns were receiving and became jealous. You see, Pegasus have always been in charge of the weather.”

“I thought that unicorns changed that with magic.” Came a squeaky voice from a row away.

“Please raise your hoof next time Berry Pinch.” Lemon Hearts said absently, then clarified. “Unicorns changed day to night and vice versa, but Pegasus are the only ponies that can walk on clouds. That means they can move clouds with very little effort whereas it would take unicorns much more to move he same amount. They have a schedule of their own for rain, snow and sunshine weather. Anyway, when they realized that the unicorns were being paid for their services, they demanded the same. They covered the sun with rainclouds, and refused to let it be seen again until they too received a tribute for aiding in weather control. They threatened to attack our city and Ponyville with lightning if both earth pony and unicorn didn't give them something as well. There was a battle. The Pegasi flew to Canterlot and attacked the cities. Our magic users managed to chase them away, but part of the city was ruined while almost all of Ponyville was laid to waste. In order to keep the rest of Equestria safe, the unicorns and earth ponies agreed to pay the pegasi for their control of the weather. The tension created from these battles can still be felt. That's why earth ponies and pegasi aren't normally seen in Canterlot."

Twilight nodded, busily burying her nose in her notes. Lemon Hearts gave another look around the room so see if anyone else had any questions. A bell rang overhead, and she clapped her hooves together. "Alright class, that's it for the week! I will see you on Monday!" There was much shuffling as unicorns quickly pulled their saddlebags from under their desks and placed them over their backs. The noise in the room went from silence to high volume as foals excitedly chattered with their friends and hooves clip clopped across the classroom. Twilight took her time, making sure her notes were safely tucked away in her saddlebags for reading later that night when she felt a bump on her flank. She looked over to see Rarity smiling at her, saddlebags already across her back. They looked to be brand new; purple embroidery traced her initials across the flaps. The filly was in much better spirits since the incident with Ponet, and she placed a foreleg over Twilight's shoulders, drawing her close.

Rarity had a tendency to be a bit snobbish, but Twilight knew that beneath that royal exterior lay a kind hearted nature. She and Rarity had been friends since kindergarten when they realized that they shared an interest in the famous 'Mare Do Well' picture book series. Since those times their friendship grew and now Twilight couldn't imagine being anywhere without Rarity nearby to help her when she needed.

"I see you have your cutie mark now!"

"I do!" Twilight said, shaking her rump proudly in her seat. The pink star with tiny white stars surrounding it stuck out like a fresh tattoo. Twilight received the cutie mark while trying to do a spell. She finally managed to teleport from her bedroom to the kitchen of her house, and she was so excited that she almost didn't realize the cutie mark had appeared. Only at her mother's question did she run to the mirror to see the pink star twinkling up at her.

"Now we are Cutie Mark Buddies!" Rarity practically flashed her three diamond cutie mark. She was the first of their class to receive hers. The diamonds represented her love of shiny things, and her innate ability to find the gems that she so desired. Twilight smiled, feeling excitement bubble in her. It was like she was in a club!

"Say Twilight, would you like to come over for a sleepover? My mother promised to make sweet apple tarts today!"

Twilight looked at her bag uncertainly. The parchment paper was practically whimpering at her, begging her to stay home and read the notes written on them. How much would she forget if she didn’t look over her carefully designed notes? "I dunno Rarity. I was hoping to look over my notes for today."

"Oh come ooooooon Twilight. Pleeeeease?" Rarity removed her hoof from Twilight's shoulder, leaned forward and batted her long eyelashes at the other filly. Twilight felt the uncertainty grow in her chest. Her heart and her mind were at odds. There was a tense moment; and the lavender filly caved. Twilight smiled, patting Rarity on the head and earning a snort from her best friend. "Alright, I'll ask my mommy."

Rarity bounced happily and walked towards the door to the classroom. "Oh I'm so happy you said yes Twilight! We can stay up all night and tell ghost stories and secrets! I'll see you for dinner at six!" She gave the purple filly one more happy smile before exiting the classroom with her fellow ponies. Outside, Rarity’s mother and father were waiting to walk her home. She chattered up at them about how everything had to be perfect for tonight. Twilight sighed and shook her head. Rarity always knew what to do to get her to cave. But then, that was why they were best friends. Lemon Hearts poked her head into the classroom and said "Twilight, your parents are here to get you."

"Ok Miss Lemon Hearts!" she said, galloping out of the classroom. Night Light and Twilight Velvet were indeed waiting for their daughter, and her mother wrapped her in a hug.

"How was school today?"

"We learned all about the history of Canterlot!”

“Well that sounds like a fun lesson!” her father said, looking over his shoulder as their oldest trotted into the courtyard. Shining Armor usually picked Twilight up from school on his way home from Canterlot Middle. He paused and waved to his parents before increasing his pace to meet them.

“Oh Oh! And Rarity asked me to come over for a sleepover!"

Night Light brought his attention back to his daughter as she grasped at his legs while Night Light looked down on her with eyes full of love.

“Can I go? Please please please?”

Night Light’s gaze met his wife’s and he chuckled and ruffled his daughter's mane. "Well then, I suppose we had better get you home and packed then."

"I can really go?" Twilight asked, staring up at her parents with pleading purple eyes.

"Of course." Twilight Velvet said. "Who are we to come between best friends?"

"Yesyesyesyesyes!" Twilight Sparkle bounced around her parents in elation. Shining Armor was quick to ask if he could have a friend or two over for the weekend, but Twilight didn’t take notice of him, though she mentally reminded herself to tackle her BBBFF after she was done celebrating. This was going to be the best weekend ever!

====

There was giggling through the second story window of a regal looking house as the streetlights flickered to life outside. The house matched the others around it in color and shape. Marble and stone created facades and a doorway surrounded on both sides by columns. A low wall framed a manicured yard fringed with plants that glistened with moisture from an earlier watering. A large flowering tree covered the second story window but for a small corner. Inside the room, two fillies were using weak magic to throw pillows at one another, erupting into further giggles as a throw connected. Feathers drifted lazily in the air, twisting as pillows flew by. Rarity kicked at a pillow, landing it against Twilight Sparkle's head. She rolled over laughing, hair sticking up from static electricity and the remnants of magic. "Alright Rarity you win!"

"Of course I did!" Rarity trotted forward and plopped onto a pile of pillows. Her mane was frizzy, the large curl that normally draped over her shoulder was split in a couple places. She fluffed her pile and wiggled into a comfortable position, lowering her head to her hooves and looking to Twilight Sparkle.

"I always forget how pretty your room is Rarity." Twilight said, gazing around at her friend's room. It was lavishly decorated with purple drapes, expensive looking furniture and more stuffed animals than the young foal could count. The round bed had curtains that could be drawn around, a secret clubhouse. Everything sparkled with glitter and jewels that Rarity had found and incorporated into her decor.

"Thank you! It is pretty isn't it?" She cast a blue eyed gaze around as well as if to admire her handiwork. Which of course she was. "I am hoping mother or father will take me out tomorrow after you go home so I can look for more gems. My bedside table needs a couple more emeralds to make it really sparkle!" She pointed her horn at a table covered with a tray of sweets and drinks. Two cups wobbled upwards, and then floated over to the two. "So now that the pillow fight is done, what do we do next?" She sipped her hot chocolate primly, releasing her hold on the second cup when Twilight’s magic took over.

"Well according to my book" Twilight said, pushing her nose under a couple pillows in searching. The cup bobbed comically a foot or two above her head, moving in tandem with the lavender filly’s head. She overturned a few more pillows and located a blue leather bound book near the bed. She flipped it open and skimmed the pages, placing a hoof onto the middle of one. "Now that we have done the pillow fight, makeover and ghost stories, we're supposed to tell secrets." She tapped the book shut, and inhaled deeply. "Well, do you have any secrets?"

There was a moment of silence as each filly looked at the other expectantly.

Rarity thought hard, tapping a hoof against the other. "I don't think I have any secrets." she confessed, looking sheepish. Twilight expressed the same sentiment, and they sat in silence for a few minutes. What were they to do? They had to go by the book right? But what did they do when the book ran out of ideas? Both fillies lay in silence, drinking their hot chocolate and waiting for the other to come up with an idea.

"Let's practice magic!" Twilight said, jumping to her hooves. The cup clattered to the ground, luckily empty. She kicked the pillows away, clearing an empty spot in the room. Rarity rolled her large eyes, saying with a slight whine "But Twilight, that's school work! This is supposed to be a sleepover!"

"We can practice magic that we haven't learned in school yet." She said, giving an unusually mischievous grin. Twilight was one to follow the rules. But it wasn't exactly against the rules to practice magic outside of school right? Rarity gave the other filly a strange look. Normally Twilight wasn't one to take risks, a quality that Rarity both loved and disliked. This leap into rebellion startled her a bit, but soon an equally mischievous grin graced the alabaster filly's face. Twilight rolled her shoulders, thinking of her teleport spell. "I bet that I can teleport down to the kitchen and grab a couple tarts before you do!" Rarity jumped to her hooves as well. She did love a good challenge! Twilight took a few minutes to teach Rarity the teleport spell. Once she was sure that she got it, Rarity backed up a couple steps and Twilight grinned, saying "Loser has to tell Rumble that she will be his special somepony for next Hearts and Hooves Day!"

"Alright Twilight, you've got a deal!" They stood face to face, staring into eachother's eyes. They both counted off together, each feeling a flutter of nerves in her heart. Neither filly wanted to be Rumble's special sompony. A flicker of uncertainty sent a shiver down Twilight's spine. What if she did it wrong this time? Rarity was just as apprehensive. This was a new spell for her, and she wasn’t sure that she could do it right the first time. Catching eachother’s eyes emptied their body of doubt. Both wanted to win.

"One, Two...Three!"

There were twin flashes of blue and purple light. A moment later, Rarity blinked into the kitchen, eyed slammed shut, wobbling sideways and then falling to her knees on the tile. She was breathing hard, but her face was plastered with a grin.

"I win!" She crowed, looking around the dark kitchen. The table s and chairs were dark blotches against the streetlight streaming through the bay window. The air smelled faintly of apples and something smoky. Twilight was nowhere to be found. She laughed and rose to her feet, testing her stability. While still a little shaky, she found that walking and even trotting was no problem as long as she didn’t move her head too quickly. She bounced up the stairs and entered the bedroom. "Really Twilight, you think with all of that studying you would have beaten me. I guess that just means I have more tal....ent."

Her boasting trailed off as she realized that her bedroom was empty as well. "Twilight?" she said, looking on her bed. She checked her expansive closet, pushing back the clothes with a blast of her own magic. "Twilight this isn't funny. Where are you?" She raced around her room, looking in every nook and cranny to no avail. Her heart began to race, and a feeling of dread creeped into her very bones. Her movements became jerky and disjointed as her room was turned upside down in an effort to find Twilight. She bolted down the hallway, pushing open the bathroom door, calling all the while. Her best friend was nowhere to be found. Her calls got louder and more frantic as she ran downstairs and checked the living room, dining room and even the kitchen a second time, just in case. She flipped over cushions and threw open doors. Every cupboard and closet was checked for a lavender filly. A door opened upstairs. Rarity ran up the steps, only to skid to a halt in front of her mother. "Rarity what is going on? You two should be asleep, not playing hide and seek!" Her mother's tone was tired, but firm. Her hair was up in rollers, and it was obvious that she had been fast asleep before hearing her daughter stumbling around downstairs.

"Mom, Twilight is gone! We were teleporting to the kitchen, and I made it but....but..." Her frantic tale turned to sobs as she ran to her mother's side. "She isn't here! Twilight isn't here!" Rarity's mother shushed her daughter as her father entered the hallway, blinking away sleep. A quick retelling of the tale, and all three unicorns were searching the house high and low for Twilight. As her father checked outside, her mother alerted the staff that stayed in the house and Rarity checked under all of the beds. But the purple filly remained missing.
The Canterlot police were called, as well as Twilight's parents, who rushed over immediately. Suddenly there was a crowd of ponies at Rarity's house, which awoke the neighbors and brought them over to investigate. The police ponies asked all of the neighbors if a filly had teleported into their living rooms, or perhaps landed on their beds suddenly but no one had seen her. Twilight Sparkle was nowhere to be found. Rarity was sent to bed by her parents, and the white filly slammed her door, looking at the messy, empty room with sadness and fear. Where did her best friend go?

"Twilight, where are you? This isn't funny. We are all worried about you!" Her eyes filled with tears and she shouted "We're supposed to be friends! How could you leave without me!?" She sat just past her closed door, crying her eyes out.

==============

Twilight Velvet sobbed quietly in Twilight's room a few hours later as the sun broke over the horizon. They had managed to send the first wave of reporters away, and were wearily waiting the second set of phone calls and ponies at their door. Night Light hugged his wife gently, whispering "Dear, we will find her. She has to be somewhere safe." He stroked her white and purple mane, trying to still her crying. Shining Armor was gone, out searching as soon as he found out what had happened. Night Light let him go, knowing he was old enough to be out on his own. Plus he knew that even if he had forbidden his son to go out, Shining would have snuck out to search for his little sister anyway. Both parents were exhausted. Night Light had already called into work. The publication company could run without one of their printers for a few days. Twilight Velvet was waiting for daybreak to call out of her job at the cafe.

"But where Night Light? Where?" Twilight Velvet clutched a picture of their missing filly close to her chest, tears burning her eyes. The first search party had already been sent out to sweep Canterlot, and the second group would start a couple hours after sunrise if their daughter still wasn't found. Night Light cast his gaze around the orderly room. Twilight had always been a very neat child. The sight of her toys, and the open closet with clothes for special occasions hurt him. Smarty Pants lay across her pillow to their right. Twilight never went anywhere without her. Seeing the stuffed pony alone seemed to burn Night Light's very soul with sadness.

"I...don't know." Night Light said, lowering his head to his wife's. "I just don't know."