• Published 9th Apr 2012
  • 1,497 Views, 50 Comments

Three Worlds - BlueEyedMelloon



Young fillies do their best to stay friends among a war torn Equestria.

  • ...
0
 50
 1,497

Time Grows Shorter

Three Words - Chapter Eight
"Time Grows Shorter"
Author - Blue Eyed Melloon
MLP- Hasbro


Ponyville was in a mild state of panic. There were fewer ponies out in the streets. Those that did venture out scurried quickly to their destination, their eyes always focused above them, searching the skies for an invisible threat. No more than a week ago, a squadron of pegasi stormed into Ponyville, demanding that they be allowed to search the entirety of the city. The mayor declined, saying that unless they had express permission from the Chancellor they were not allowed in. That argument that ensued became heated and left both parties storming off in a huff. This fight only intensified the fear that the earth ponies felt. No more than two weeks prior, Canterlot had shut its gates to all trade, leaving the ponies below confused.

Soon cloud had begun to roll into the skies above Ponyville. This wasn't unusual, especially in the autumn time when rain was often. Ponyville citizens quickly pushed the argument into the back of their minds, not wanting to think that the clouds and the argument had anything to do with eachother. Their fillies weren't here; there was no way the Pegasi were going to attack to town.

The squadron was currently reclining among the constant cloud cover above the town, waiting for the arrival of reinforcements. Commander Hurricane was fed up with the actions of the Earth ponies. He was going to search the city, and he was going to do it on his terms. His gaze seemed to bore into the town below. Whirlwind tapped the Commander on the shoulder with a wingtip, tearing his attention away from his victim. Wordlessly Hurricane pointed upward with his other wing, and as Hurricane looked up a smile spreading across his face.

More clouds rolled in. Each one of the clouds was a vessel carrying up to ten pegasi hidden in its fluffy peaks. The occasional thin spot of cloud revealed fur, feathers, and silver glinting back at the leader of the Pegasi. His grin was widening. If Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were in there, Commander Hurricane was going to find them. Today.

====================

“Do you see anything?”

“Nope, just more trees.”

The white unicorn filly on the ground sighed, stamping a hoof. Curse this stupid forest and its stupid trees! The cyan filly lowered from her vantage point to join her friend on the ground, also releasing a sigh as she folded her wings. For the better part of a month, the two fillies had roamed the countryside of Equestria in search of their two missing friends. It hadn’t been easy; anypony that saw them was immediately suspicious. What were two fillies doing out in the country alone? More importantly, what were a unicorn and a Pegasus doing sneaking about? Their presence was met with hostility. After a while, both ponies agreed that they should remain out of sight from the Earth ponies.

This meant sneaking into farms at night and stealing food. Rarity felt awful about taking something that wasn’t theirs to have. But her growling stomach constantly reminded her that if she didn’t take the carrots and lettuce, she wouldn’t have the energy to find Twilight. Rainbow Dash had so such qualms about breaking the rules. She needed food, and those farm ponies had food that they didn’t want to share with Rainbow and Rarity simply because they were different species. Therefore, it was only right for her to take some of it.

The two fillies stared at the ground, wondering what they were to do. They had been away from home for a very long time, and yet neither of their friends had been found. Rarity sighed, scuffing the ground with a dirty hoof. She dearly wanted to go home and take a bath. Her normally shiny indigo hair was a dingy shade of eggplant. The curls had long fallen out of her mane, leaving it matted and tangled.

Rainbow Dash’s mane looked much the same as before, though the bright colors were more of a depressed rainbow. Her mane was short and normally wind-blown, so the tangles and unkempt look were not at all unusual. Both fillies’ bodies were covered in all manners of mud and dirt. Cyan and white became blue-brown and just plain brown. It appalled the unicorn filly to be this way, and she long ago stopped looking into ponds and watering holes at her appearance.

“Well, now what?” Rainbow said, trotting to the west. Standing around wouldn’t help find food. Or Fluttershy. Her heart panged as she thought of her sweet friend. What if Fluttershy had been out here for a month too? Could she survive?

“I think we need to find something to eat.” Rarity responded, matching the other filly’s hoof steps. The sun had already passed its highest point, and was slowly making its decent above the treetops. The leaves were starting to shed their green color, taking on hues of orange, red and brown. Some were already making a bid to escape from the main tree; the undergrowth was covered in a fine smattering of leaves that broke away on the wind. Every so often one would crunch under sompony’s hoof.

“I think I saw some trees that looked like they had fruit.” Rainbow said, pointing her nose forward. “They were this way.”

“So we won’t have to steal anything this time?” Rarity looked hopeful.

“No I don’t think so. Unless the trees belong to someone.”

Rarity sighed with a sign of happiness. No stealing today! The two foals continued on their way until the broad leaves of the forest slowly changed into the smaller leaves of the fruit trees. They were apple trees, and plenty of them. The neat, manicured rows were a welcome sight to Rarity. They were orderly and clean, nothing like the random placement of the forest trees. She increased the pace and gazed upwards at the fruit.

She picked a tree, and jumped, waving her hooves in an attempt to reach the apple above. She missed, and landed on her rump, glaring at the fruit over her head. She tried again, with the same result. Rainbow Dash watched with amusement.

Finally she stamped a hoof, and said “I can’t reach them! You do it Rainbow Dash.” She put on her patented ‘help me’ face, and the tom-boyish Pegasus laughed. “That doesn’t work on me.”

She did however, take to the air and hover over the fruit, cropping a few onto the ground and picking a few more.

The unicorn below looked triumphant as she landed. Taking a bite of apple, Rainbow Dash spoke through the food in her mouth. “I was hungry too. I just felt sorry for you.”

Rarity grimaced as food dribbled out of Rainbow Dash’s mouth, but she remained silent. She was grateful that the other filly had gotten her something to eat, and didn’t think that she would enjoy an etiquette lesson.

The only sound for a minute or two came from the munching of apples. Both ponies were lost in their personal thoughts. Neither pony paid much attention to the rustle a few trees away. Rarity’s ear flicked back to it occasionally, and only when it seemed to draw too near for comfort did she pause in her eating.

“Rainbow.” She warned, dropping the half eaten fruit she had a hold on. Rainbow rose to her feet, all thoughts of food lost. There were hoof steps coming...

Then her mind went blank. The figure was still a few yards away, and apparently didn’t see them. But Rainbow Dash recognized the soft yellow fur and delicate pink mane from afar. The only thing Rarity saw was a rainbow colored streak as the Pegasus flew by. The wind from the sprint hit her a moment later, throwing her mane and tail into a temporary frenzy.

“Rainbow!”

The shout got the other pony’s attention. Rainbow slammed into the figure, rolling both of them over and over with the leftover momentum. There was a shrill scream, and then silence. Rarity composed herself as best she could and then galloped over to where she saw the two disappear.

She found Rainbow embracing the other figure, who turned out to be a filly. They were both grinning broadly. Rarity backed away, letting the two have their moment. This must be the missing Fluttershy. When the two broke apart, both started talking at once, trying to tell their tale. Finally Fluttershy raised a hoof, and said quietly “What are you doing here Rainbow Dash? I thought you would have gone back to Cloudsdale by now.”

“And leave my friend hangin? No way!”

Fluttershy grinned broadly, and as they hugged again, she noticed Rarity standing off to the side, steadfastly looking the other way.

“Who is that Rainbow?”

“Oh!” Rainbow Dash seemed to remember that Rarity was there again. She grabbed the filly’s hoof and dragged her over to Fluttershy. Rarity offered a regal smile and her hoof.

“This is Rarity. She was helping me look for you.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you dear.” She said, shaking Fluttershy’s hoof gently. “I’ve heard so much about you.”

Fluttershy blushed, scrunching down to the ground with bright eyes “Oh I hope not too much. There isn’t much to talk about.”

“Where have you been Fluttershy? I’ve been looking ever since you fell from the racetrack!”

“I fell into these trees.” She explained, righting herself into a normal sitting position. She tossed her mane out of her eyes gently, and then continued her story.

“I think I got knocked out. And when I woke up, there was somepony staring at me!” At the time she was scared, but now the memory brought warmth to her voice. “His name is Big Macintosh. He and his sister let me live in their clubhouse until I was ready to go home. I wanted to send you a letter, but Applejack said that I shouldn’t go into town.” Her face grew fearful. “She said that they wouldn’t like me.”

“I can vouch for that.” Rarity interjected, looking hurt. “I was in town for but a moment and they treated me like I was going to blow up their homes or something!”

Fluttershy’s face changed to one of pity, and she put her wing on Rarity’s shoulder, saying “I’m so sorry they did that to you. It must have been awful.”

This gesture earned a smile from Rarity. “Thank you Fluttershy.”

Rainbow Dash tapped her hoof, impatient to bring the conversation back between herself and Fluttershy. She had finally found her!

“So now we can go home! I bet our parents are worried sick!”

Rarity was shocked. She looked at Rainbow Dash with surprise, but the rainbow haired filly only had eyes for Fluttershy. They were going to leave!? Just like that? Now that wasn’t fair. Rarity stayed with Rainbow Dash for a month in the wilderness because they were looking for their friends. Together. Now that they found one, Rarity was just supposed to go it alone?

“Now see here Rainbow Da-“

“I can’t do that yet!” The yellow pegasus’s words were adamant. She winced at her assertive behavior and seemed to shrink in on herself. In a much smaller voice she said “I’m sorry, I can’t just leave. I have to say goodbye to Applejack and...and Big Macintosh.”

Her blue eyes stared balefully at Rainbow’s magenta ones, and there was a moment of silence between all three parties. Finally Rainbow looked away and said “Are they far away?”

Fluttershy broke into a grin, and jumped to her feet saying “Oh no they are just on the other side of this orchard. We can be there very soon.” Without another word, she started to walk back to the clubhouse, Rainbow in tow. She looked back and found Rarity sitting where she stopped, staring at the ground in anger. After a glance at Fluttershy to make sure she knew what direction she was going, Rainbow trotted back to the distraught unicorn.

“Aren’t you coming?”

“Why should I?”

Rainbow looked confused. “What’s wrong?”

“You’re going to leave me here.” She said simply, tossing her mane dramatically. “You’re going to take Fluttershy and go home. And why shouldn’t you? You found who you were looking for. I still have to find Twilight.”

Her anger was jarring. Rainbow leaned forward, trying to meet the upset filly’s gaze.

“Who said I was leaving?”

Rarity’s head shot up from its crestfallen state and now it was her turn to be confused.

“But I thought-“

“Well you thought wrong.” Rainbow stood and started to walk away. “Fluttershy and I can cover more ground from the air. It should cut the time it takes to find Twilight in half.” Rarity rose to her feet, happiness filling the cold spots that anger had taken hold of.

“Do you mean it Rainbow Dash?”

The rainbow mane moved to the side as she looked backwards. Flashing a cocky grin she spread her wings and flapped for emphasis.

“Duh. Who do you think you’re talking to? We’ll find her and then all of us can go home.”

Rarity smiled and picked up her pace, stepping in time with the Pegasus pony. It was a pace that had been a constant for the last month and for now, it was the pace they would continue to use.

Comments ( 6 )

I wanted to send you a latter, but Applejack said that I shouldn’t go into town.

letter*

Yeah, other then that, nice to see Dash and Shy reunited. Now... Now we just have to find Twilight...

And then they show up everyone by becoming best friends and destroy racism once and for all! What, you know it's going to happen.

They will all be together soon then the real challege of keeping thier new friendship together despite what the grownups think.

Thanks for telling me bout that typo :) I'm glad you guys read my story!

Y1

So adorable... It's just not fair! Please take my fave and stop giving me those darn puppy eyes!
All joking aside this fic is good enough for a fave but I find this whole "on the brink of war" situation a little ridiculous. If this was all it took to set this chain of events off why hasn't it happened before? Surely other weak fliers have fallen from Cloudsdale in the past or unicorns glitched out in their magic.

Tensions have been building for years, which is why there is so much hostility, even to children.

I also might be commenting on the ridiculous reasons that countries decide to dislike eachother/go to war. Or ya know, I'm taking after a kids show. Kids shows always have the best reasons for an all out battle. Cookies going missing is my favorite. :rainbowlaugh:

818821

Thank you for that :rainbowlaugh: Just totally made my day!

Login or register to comment