• Published 8th Apr 2012
  • 1,670 Views, 27 Comments

Equestria Exiles: Dawn of Dream Valley - Paradise Oasis



The building blocks that Equestria rejected, became the cornerstone of a Whole new Ponyland...

  • ...
7
 27
 1,670

Discovery

Discovery

As the town of Ponyville prepared for this years Nightmare Night festival, everypony's attention turned to the small details. Lily was worried about if her fairy costume would come in form Canterlot on time. Time Turner and Roseluck were the ponies in charge of putting up the decorations this year, were still waiting impatiently for the shipment of self-lighting candles and plastic skulls to come in, as well. As a result, most of the concerned parties were currently waiting at the train station, hoping for the last minute delivery of their orders.

"You think they're gonna make it?" Time Turner asked nervously, adjusting his necktie nervously. "We've been expecting that stuff for a week!"

"You think they'll be here on time?" Lily asked him, looking up and down the tracks. "I need to get that costume to Rarity's shop so she can make adjustments!"

"How would I know! I'm not a time traveler, and I can't see the future!" The annoyed brown stallion snorted. "Who knows how long it's going to take!"

It was at that point, that the three equines head a distant train whistle approaching. Off in the distance, a trail of smoke came rising from a smokestack.

"Hey, it's the friendship express!" Rose exclaimed, pointing excitedly. "It's finally here!"

With a blast of it's whistle, the small locomotive came chugging into the station. As the workers unloaded the crates, each of ponies waiting on shipments trotted up to claim their goods.

So busy was everypony with their own concerns, that they all failed to notice one particularly large crate to be delivered to the Everfree forest. Normally, such an odd destination would have elicited gossip and stares from many of the villages inhabitants. But with everypony busy with their own preparations, there was no questioning as delivery ponies unloaded the crate, and prepared it for shipment into the wilderness.

And no pony heard the loud gurgling and sputtering coming from the oversized box, as if there was something trapped inside, eager to get out...

...

Far to the north of the kingdom of Equestria, the shining, jewel-like spires of the Crystal Empire glistened among the northern lights. It's translucent crystal ponies did not feel the extreme cold of thier homeland, but the love and kindness of ponkind's friendship warmed their hearts. But within the walls of Crystal Spire palace in the capital, emotions other than friendship were currently running high.

"So as you can see, Princess Cadence..." The flutter pony before the throne explained. "... it would be in all of our best interests to present the royal sisters with a united front!"

Diamond Rose, a white mare with a pink mane, was trying to convince Princess Mi Amore Di Cadenza and Lord Shining Armor, that it was in their best interests to join the alliance against Equestria. She was finding it especially difficult, however, giving who the ponies present were related to.

"That's Outrageous!" Shining Armor snorted, stomping his hoof against his throne's arm rest. "We have always been loyal to Princess Celestia! to betray our ruler in such a way would be treason!"

"But she is your ruler no longer, my lord." Sweet Song, a flutter pony with a pink coat and mane, pointed out. "You two are no longer citizens of Equestria, but are instead rulers of your own kingdom. Your loyalties lie towards your own crystalline subjects, and not towards faraway Canterlot to the south!"

"As much as I don't want to admit it, Shining, these two are absolutely right!" Cadence replied, looking over at her husband. "We must act on the welfare of our subjects, even if it is in conflict with the welfare of Equestria!"

"B-but..." Shining Armor protested, thinking of his sister and his former country.

"May I add that Dream Valley is home to several thousand displaced political refugees." Diamond Rose added. "Many of whom, I might add, are twinkle-eyed ponies!"

"There are ponies with crystal eyes there?" Cadence asked thoughtfully. "... and these brothers and sisters to my crystal ponies were persecuted and driven out of Equestria?!?!"

"This is outrageous!" Shining Armor snorted. "These Flutter Ponies are outlaws! And we can't go to war with our southern neighbors, over a few political refugees!"

As Shining Armor ranted, several crystal pony courtiers listened in on this discussion of these jewel-eyed ponies, and where their ruler's loyalties lie.

"My apologies, Lord Armor," Sweet Song added, narrowing her eyes. "I did not realize that the crystal empire was subservient to the kingdom of Equestria!"

. "Shining, take a squadron of crystal archers and make for the Everfree forest. Celestia's guards should give you little trouble in crossing the border!" Cadence scowled, looking to her husband. "Tell Queen Rosalyn we shall aid in the defense of her kingdom!"

"B-but my love! Your Aunt Celestia...my sister..." The unicorn stallion pleaded. "How can we betray them?"

"This is not a personal matter, Shining, it's a political one!" She snorted, staring at the courtiers who were looking on. "Our loved ones need not even be involved in this affair! I am merely sending you on a defensive mission!"

"As you wish, my love..." The royal consort sighed, trotting out of the crystal throne room. "I'll go round up my finest archers at once."

...

Deep within Dream Valley, the Nightmare night festival was going on, as well. Ponies in the ballroom danced to mummy Sapphire Shore's greatest hits, while a Pharaoh Caramel and his Queen Sassaflash Cleopatra oversaw the bobbing for apples.

"Hmph, don't understand why they can't make it bobbing fer cherries." Cherry Jubilee, dressed up as an old western saloon filly, snorted. "They would taste much better."

"Funny, I always thought going after veggies would be better." A devil Golden Harvest trotted up to her. "It always seemed more healthy to me!"

"What, didn't y'all use ta bob fer apples in Ponyville?" The saloon mare snorted.

"Nah, Ditzy's draining the apple tank one year cured me of that!" The demoness replied with a chuckle. "Say, you seen the boys around here anywhere?"

"Naw, they said they didn't see the point 'a Nightmare Naight!" Cherry sighed. "They said they change forms all the time, so it's boring ta them!"

"I can't believe you started seeing a changeling, too! I thought you hated them!" Carrot Top lowered her head. "And by the way... I'm sorry I've been neglecting you, while running around with my new coltfriend!"

"Aw, don't worry about it, Carrot Tawp!" Miss Jubilee laughed. "Ah found out why ya did it, when ah gawt mah own Changeling feller! Ah found out they ain't so bad after all!"

"Hey, you two wanna give a try at these apples?" Caramel called out.

"Yeah, these things sure are yummy!" Sassaflash agreed. "Better hurry while they're still here!"

"I'm in!" Both mares reply in unison, trotting over to the tank.

...

"Oh dear, I hope this was the place I was supposed to meet her..."

Noteworthy stood outside the walls of the castle, pacing back and forth nervously as he waited. Caramel and Sassaflash had arraigned for him to meet Nurse Redhart out here so they could talk, seeing as how the base of the waterfall seemed a suitably romantic spot. And the earth pony stallion now found himself as nervous as could be!

Caramel had helped him spend to hours getting ready- grooming and shining his coat, making sure his mane was well combed and neat. He had assumed that Sassaflash had done the same with Redheart, and that was the cause in her delayed appearance.

As the nervous stallion looked up at the falls, he heard a voice call out nervously behind him.

"N-noteworthy?"

He turned to face her... and was entranced. Her lovely pink mane trussed up in curls, the most sublime shade of rouge covering her eyelids, the crimson hue of lipstick glowing from her mouth. Noteworthy blushed a deep red, and stared at her, wide eyed.

"W-well..." She asked him nervously, her cheeks turning pink. "How do I look?"

"W-wonderful..." He replied breathlessly. "Absolutely wonderful!"

"You know, if you really liked me that much, you should have just told me!" She trotted over towards him slowly. "I do have a life outside my nurse's cap, you know!"

"I-I'm sorry... I should have been more clear." He replied sadly. "I never have been very good expressing myself to mares..."

"It's all right! I'm not exactly a social butterfly either!" She replied with a giggle, trotting around to nuzzle him. "Now, since we're all dressed up, how's about we follow the path through the everfree forest, and try to sneak into Ponyville?"

"W-wait..." his eyes went wide. "You mean?-"

"The nightmare Night festival is going on there, I doubt they'll notice two extra ponies dancing and bobbing for apples!" She replied with a giggle. "Besides, well be back before anypony even notices we're gone!"

"Sure, I'd love to!" He whinnied enthusiastically. "Let's go!"

But as the two trotted forward, they hit their heads on an unseen object with a loud THUNK!

"Ow! What the hay was that?!?" Redheart grumbled, rubbing her head with her hoof.

"Um, Redheart?" Noteworthy started, trotting around and looking at something the nurse pony couldn't see. "You'd better come over here, and have a look at this!"

As she trotted around to where Noteworthy stood, the sunlight passed through the object she had hit her head on, making it visible. In front of the two ponies stood a large, colorful rainbow- stretching high into the sky, and vanishing over the clouds.

After staring at it for a few minutes, Noteworthy stepped forward, and put a hoof on the multicolored arch. "It's... solid!" He exclaimed in surprise. "What do you think it is? Where do you think it leads?"

"I don't know..." Redheart replied, narrowing her eyes. "But I'd think we'd better go and tell the queen!"

....

In the Dream Castle throne room, a notable demonstration was about to occur. Queen Majesty, along with North Pole and Minuette, had taken their leave from the Nightmare Night celebration in the ballroom, and were currently waiting for Inky Pie and Blueblood to arrive.

"I hope you two called me down here for a good reason, I was busy bobbing for apples with a comely stallion lord." The Princess snorted in annoyance. "And Minuette, why are you walking with a limp, did you injure your legs?"

"Uhhh yes, your majesty! I sort of had a bad fall." Both she and North Pole blushed a deep red. "My flank is a bit sore, that is all."

The Queen was about to inquire further, when the two cooks suddenly wheeled a large freshly cooked steak in on a tray.

"Here's the slab of meat you ordered, North." Inky snorted, covering her nose in disgust. "Though why you wanted something like this cooked is beyond me!"

"We got the recipe off of a passing griffon, though I must say it's nauseating stench made it hard to cook!" The stallion waved his hoof in the air, nauseated by the meaty aroma. "This thing is not fit for pony consumption!"

"Now, why exactly did you two have this poor bovine killed, and have this disgusting dish made from it's remains?" The queen snorted angrily.

"This is why, your majesty." North Pole Promptly trotted up, levitated a fork in the air, and immediately took a bite of the meat. Minuette followed suit, and the two began greedily devouring the steak.

"Mmm, delicious!" North Pole whinnied. "Good food! And lots of it!"

"I can't believe we've been denying ourselves this wonderful taste!" Minuette declared between bytes.

"What....how?!?" Inky yelled in shock, eye twitching.

"Great Celestia, how barbaric!" Blueblood exclaimed.

"How... how are you two doing that?" The queen asked thoughtfully. "Because if you can duplicate it, you may have just solved our food shortage problem!"

"Your majesty!" Inky shrieked. "That's gross!"

"Sister!" Blueblood whinnied. "That's terrible!"

But before either of them could protest, Redhart and Noteworthy came galloping into the room.

"Your highness!" Redhart yelled excitedly. "We found a rainbow outside!"

"Um, yes, that kind of happens after a rainfall!" Blueblood snorted.

"No, a solid one! One that you can put your hoof on, and it stretches all the way across the sky!"

"It can't be..." Pole whinnied.

"By the horsemaster, they found it...." Minuette exclaimed.

Turning towards each other, their faces both suddenly lit up like firecrackers.

"THE RAINBOW BRIDGE!" The two royal advisors yelled in unison.

"Excuse me..." The annoyed Rosalyn snorted. "But would you two please tell the rest of us what has gotten you so excited?"

"Forgive me, your highness!" Chancellor Pole exclaimed. "But we just discovered that one of ponykind's oldest myths may be true!"

"And we've found the reason the order of gloom wanted the Everfree forest so badly!" Minuette added. "And the reason the weather here, is so uncontrollable!"

"Really?" The queen asked sitting back in her throne. "Well please enlighten us, my royal advisors. We're all ears."