• Published 13th Jun 2014
  • 22,832 Views, 803 Comments

Prince of the Sun - TornadoBlitz



A young man with surprising leadership skills meets the most important day of his life, his death. Many would expect that to be that however fate has other plans.

  • ...
97
 803
 22,832

Meeting the Nobles

I recall asking myself if the ponies here used chairs like we did on my old world. The answer was both ‘yes’ and ‘no.’ While they did use chairs, they were certainly nothing like they were in my old world. Here, the seats was much wider and it sat closer to the floor than like the chairs I knew. This made sense, seeing as how ponies wouldn’t sit like people do.

Mother’s throne sat on a raised platform one would get to by walking the stairs that led up to it. The portion of floor leading up to it was covered in a red carpet with two maroon stripes along the edges of it. The throne itself was gold covered in red fabric on the backrest and the seat. All in all, it was a very regal looking throne.

And I was sitting in it, resting between my mother’s hooves.

Mother was the picture of serenity with Auntie Luna running a close second. Auntie Cadance seemed relatively peaceful, save for when she was sneaking glances at me, scrunching her nose or winking when she did. Auntie Twilight seemed to be having trouble at first, but after a while she eventually calmed.

I, on the other hand (or was it hoof), was trying to keep myself from fidgeting about too much. It wasn’t easy, given my recent dealings with Blueblood. I began worrying that maybe all the nobles were like Blueblood. However, that was running a poor second to what really had me worried.

I used magic twice since coming here. The first time was an accident in the hospital. The second time was in the hall and I couldn’t control it. I remember Mother saying that I had strong magic in the hospital, so what would happen if it just went off again? What would happen if it went off and hit someone by accident. I felt a part of myself want to bury myself in Mother’s fur and cry, a prospect that was becoming more and more tempting as the seconds passed. Fortunately, they took my crown off so I wouldn’t have to worry about it falling over my eyes for a while.

However, my thoughts were interrupted by a gentle pressure on my horn. I looked up, seeing Mother placing a kiss on it. “Don’t worry, little Mythic,” she said softly, “Magic spasms rarely happen and never for very long. Besides, even though your magic reserve is bigger than most pony’s your age, the amount of damage you could do is minimum.”

My eyes widened. It was becoming scary how she could do that. Smiling, she continued.

“And besides, I’ve seen the itinerary. Everypony seeing us today were the most supportive ones when I told them about you.”

I felt myself relax a little. I thought about all the ponies that I had seen and met and so far only Blueblood acted like a jerk. In fact, most of the ponies I’ve seen went out of their way to make me feel welcomed. Seemed these nobles at least deserved a chance. It was the least I could do.

The sound of a cleared throat brought our attention back to the throne room. Standing in front of us was a charcoal grey mare. She had a black mane that was tied tightly into a bun. She wore a white blouse with a lighter grey vest over it. She carried a clipboard and a ‘no-nonsense’ expression.

“Good afternoon, Your Majesty,” she replied respectfully, “Your guests have arrived.”

“Thank you, Raven,” Mother answered cordially, “Would you show them in?”

Raven nodded, making a gesture to the guards at the door. The guards opened the door, revealing two ponies standing at the entrance. They entered at a dignified pace, allowing me to take in their features.

They were both white unicorns, but that was where the similarities ended. The stallion’s features were angular where the mare’s were rounded off. Also the mare’s figure was lean whereas the stallion’s was muscular.

The stallion had piercing blue eyes that seemed to take in everything at once. His wavy blue hair was styled so not a bit of it seemed out of place. He wore an expensive looking suit consisting of a jacket, a waistcoat, a shirt, a bowtie, and a monocle. No trousers though, but from what I’ve seen no one wears them. This allowed his cutie mark to be visible, an image of three golden crowns. All in all, he seemed rather imposing.

The mare however was shockingly beautiful. In her graceful state, she seemed to practically glide across the carpeted floor. Her two toned pink mane and tail seemed to flow from her head rather than grow from it. The eyeshadow she wore made her pale purple eyes stand out all the more. Her cutie mark consisted of three stylized lilies, two purple and one gold.

Wait a second, I thought, Makeup and clothes? Trousers nonexistent? This place seems to get stranger by the second.

Suddenly, I became aware of the fact that the mare was staring at me. Her eyes locked onto mine, making me unable to look away from her. After a second or two, she smirks then winks at me. With that one action, she made me feel as though she had caught me doing something unseemly towards her.

“Your Majesties,” a voice called, “Presenting Grand Duke Fancy Pants and Grand Duchess Fleur de Lis!”

Hearing the name, I quickly stifled my laughter. Fancy Pants??? I thought, Really?! What bet did his parents lose?

Any thoughts along these lines were cut off as Fancy Pants spoke in a posh and elegant tone, both mare and stallion bowing their heads. “Your Highness, it is good to see you well.”

“As it is you, Fancy,” Mother said in a jovial tone, “Please, come and meet my son. Mythic, these are Fancy Pants and Fleur de Lis.”

The feeling of discomfort and inadequacy returned and brought reinforcements as they approached the throne. Being unable to tear open a hole in the time-space continuum and pull it close after me, I simply sat there trying my best not to tremble. I felt the brush of Mother’s hoof on my back, but it didn’t help.

When they towered over me looking at me, I felt an almost kin-like feeling of sympathy for every worm I ever used for bait. They both leaned in closer, Fancy adjusting his monocle in his magic. Not having any other means of defence, I closed my eyes and braced myself for the worst.

“I say,” Fancy stated, “he is a dashing rascal, isn’t he?”

I opened my eyes, seeing Fancy smiling genuinely at me. All at once, all the fears I had slowly started to dissipate into nothingness. That was until I felt a pair of hooves gently rubbing my cheeks.

“He’s the handsomest little colt I’ve ever seen,” Fleur said, her voice more elegant and posh than Fancy’s.

I felt myself start to flush at their compliments. The fact that Fleur was petting me in several places while cooing at me wasn’t helping either. If all the nobles are like this, I think I’ll be alright, I thought.

“Not that I am not glad,” Mother said in a knowing tone, “but surely Canterlot’s most prominent elite have more important things to do than to schedule a meeting to see my foal.”

Canterlot? I thought Is that what this place is called? Oh sweet deity lady, if every town in this world has a horse pun name...Wait a minute, didn’t Mother call this land I’m Equestria outside the hospital? Oh boy, every town has a name like that, don’t they?

“Nothing more important,” Fancy replied, his tone growing sad, “however there was another matter we’ve come to see you on. Sadly, it wouldn’t wait.”

Fleur was in the process of rubbing my belly, an action that was inexplicably causing my tail to wag. Hearing Fancy speak, she gave a sad smile at having to stop. She gave my nose a nuzzle with her own before she and Fancy descended the stairs a few steps.

“First, allow us to apologize for having to do this so soon after coming out of the hospital,” Fleur stated, her voice chiming as clearly as a bell’s, “but we thought it would be better if you heard this from us.”

“Heard about what?” Luna asked, raising an eyebrow.

Much to my own surprise, Fancy looked uncomfortable. “Do not misunderstand, most of the nobility are very pleased about your son, however…”

“Some of the more snooty members of the canterlot nobility felt obligated to give their opinions on the matter,” interjected Aunt Luna.

“Not how I would have phrased it, but accurate,” Fancy admitted, his expression stating that he didn’t want to be saying this, “A few of them have voiced concerns that, now your foal has been born, your effectiveness in court would be diminished.”

“Not that we believe that for a moment,” Fleur stated, giving me another wink.

“However, there are enough nobles who agree that it might be a possibility to contest the issue.”

As much as I hated to admit it, those nobles Fancy was talking about did have a point. There were some women back in my old world who were unable to raise a child and keep a career. However, my old mother was able to raise me while keeping her job, so it wasn’t impossible. I looked up at Celestia, knowing that if my mother were able to do it, my new mother could as well.

“If it makes you feel better,” Fancy continued, “the majority of the nobleponies believing that are minor barons who haven’t been nobles very long.”

“I wonder why that is?” Twilight asked.

“Some ponies develop bad attitudes once they get power,” Luna answered solemnly, “Sometimes, it stems from bad childhood experiences, other times it was in their nature the entire time. All the same, those bad attitudes can be a pain to deal with.”

If it were possible, I would have agreed with her. A wiser man than me said that ‘Power tends to corrupt.’ Seems like some things never change, I thought with a note of sadness.

“That may not be the case with all of them,” Cadance replied, whether for my benefit or Twilight’s I couldn’t say, “Some of them may just be being manipulated or misled. Sometimes, others are just willing to go along with the crowd.”

“The more influential nobles agree with us and fully support you and the little scamp,” Fancy stated, giving me a smirk, “In fact, some of them were in the crowd.”

“I thought I saw a few of them out there when we came by,” interjected Aunt Twilight.

“I was certain that I noticed Countess Golden Harp giving some presents to the to the guards,” said Aunt Luna.

“In any case,” Fleur continued, “all the nobles would like to meet the prince at the earliest convenience.”

“We shall deal with this in due time,” Mother stated, using her formal tone, “In the meantime, inform the nobles that they shall meet Mythic once he is settled in the castle.”

“Of course,” Fancy stated, turning to me, “Prince Mythic, a pleasure making your acquaintance.”

Unable to do otherwise, I smiled in response.

Fancy gave a regal bow. “My wife and I wish congratulations on your foal’s birth and are glad we could join on this great and joyous day.”

“Thank you, Fancy Pants,” Mother answered, causing me to stifle a giggle. I couldn’t help it, the name ‘Fancy Pants’ was funny.

“Thank you for seeing us on such short notice,” Fancy stated turning to leave.

“Thank you, Your Majesty” said Fleur de Lis, turning to me, “Au revoir, little prince. I hope to see you again soon.” She blew a kiss to me, turning to follow her husband out of the room.

I couldn’t see myself, but I could feel my face burning and was certain my coat turned to a light shade of pink.

“Awwwww!” Aunt Cadence said, confirming my suspisions. She lowered herself so that we were eye to eye. “I think there’s a certain foal here that likes Lady Fleur de Lis,” she said, her tone stating how cute she thought it was.

Glancing about the room, I noticed that the eye of every mare was me. What was worse, all of them had cutesy smiles upon their lips. Even the professional Raven was looking at me like she wanted to pinch my cheeks as Fleur did. Feeling my blush intensify, I tried to hide behind Mother’s legs, eliciting yet another round of coos from the mares.

Raven cleared the air by clearing her throat. “As charming as that was, there’s still one more guest wishing to see you. Countess Golden Leaf is waiting to see you.”

“Why is she coming in?” Aunt Luna asked confusedly.

“Only way to find out, Lulu,” Mother replied, stroking my mane, “Show her in, Raven.”

The doors opened to reveal a yellow coated mare with blue eyes. Her two-toned mane of blue and red and tail were neatly trimmed. Her gait wasn’t as refined as Fleur’s or Fancy’s, but it was respectful just the same. She bowed before the throne.

“Good afternoon, Golden,” Mother said, “What bring the head of the Royal Treasury up here? Surely not a lack of funds?”

The mare chuckled at this. “Nothing like that, Your Grace,” she said, her tone and voice sounding a touch more rural than Fancy’s or Fleur’s voices were, “I got elected to tell you that the governmental staff wish you and your foal our congratulations.”

“Well, that was sweet of them and you,” Mother said, her tone more jovial than it was a second ago. “Mythic, this is Countess Golden Leaf, the head of the Royal Treasury. She has worked very hard to achieve her status in the palace.”

“Geez Your Majesty,” she said blushing, “I didn’t do all that much. Besides, Golden Sword made…” She covered her mouth, realizing what she had just said. “I’m sorry, Your Majesty,” she added hastily, “I didn’t mean to dredge up the past.”

“It’s alright, Golden Leaf,” Mother said consolingly, “Both you and Golden Sword worked very hard to achieve your positions. You are both examples of what ponies can achieve if they work hard towards their goals. I would not trade that for anything in the world. Besides,” she looked down at me, “even in the darkest times, there is a spark of light.”

While she was looking at me, I noticed there was more than sadness at the mention of my father’s name; there was also a sense of pride. It seemed to be contagious, because I was also proud of him. From what I had heard of him, Golden Sword was a brave, diligent, and intelligent pony who loved my mother very much. Why shouldn’t I be proud of him? Thoughts along this line ceased as my foal body decided it had enough and let out a yawn.

“Sorry Golden,” Mother said chuckling, “my little one has had an eventful day and seems to be worn out. I do apologize for this.”

“It’s fine, Your Majesty,” she said with a smile and a wave of her hoof, “I got friends with foals, so I see this sort of thing all the time. Besides, I said what I needed to. Best wishes to you and the kid.” With that, she left the room with no further ado.

“Seems that spasm earlier tired you out, my little light,” Mother said, lifting me in her magical grip and placing me on her back, “I’ll take you to the Solar Chambers where you can rest peacefully. Can you three handle things until I get back?”

“Of course, Tia,” Aunt Luna replied, Cadance and Twilight nodding their consent. With that Mother left the room through a side door.

I tried keeping track of all the twists and turns as we passed through in the halls, but was unable to with how tired I had gotten. Instead, I thought about everything I had learned about Golden Sword. Given everything I had heard about him from Golden Leaf, Aunt Luna, and Mother, I had more questions than I did answers.

However, something else was obvious about him: Mother had been immensely proud of him. It was obvious that Mother was upset about whatever had happened to him, but every time somepony spoke of him, her eyes lit up. I didn’t care what Blueblood had said about him. From everything I heard, he was a fine pony and if he wasn’t here now, there was a perfectly good reason for it.

Of course, all this left me with a huge legacy to follow. With Mother’s and my Aunt’s status as royalty and what he was able to accomplish, I knew I had a long way to go to measure up. However, I wasn’t worried. What Mother had told me earlier was still ringing within my ears and my heart and I was determined to do my best, for better or for worse.

Father, I thought, my eyelids slowly closing as sleep overtook me, I don’t know where you are, but I am going to make you proud of me. I only hope I can live up to the example you and Mother set for me.