• Published 6th Jun 2014
  • 4,122 Views, 135 Comments

One Ugly Grub - Sgt GobSmacker



Going to Gamescon with my brother as Master Chief and myself as Skorge was going to be a blast! But getting our lives turned upside-down by a Chinese merchant wasn't on our bucket list.

  • ...
33
 135
 4,122

The Survival Game

I tore through the foilage and trees, bolting away from two horse princesses right on my heels. One hell bent on imprisoning and or executing me for the massacre of men, women and children from fake memories something placed in my mind, and one feeling sympathy towards me, maybe she knows of my actual memories but couldn't place it? But enough rambling! Back to running!

I'll say this again, I was extremely quick on my feet (presuming their called feet anymore to begin with) and swift with my thoughts. Every step in front of the other, not stopping for anything. The squish of wet leaves and cracks of fallen branches underneath my now burning legs, looking ahead for any obstacles that would obstruct my path. I sidestepped trees and vaulted over fallen logs, minding myself not to trip up on the many roots above the ground.

I continued to run, jumping over a large boulder, raising my arms up to latch onto the impeding branch above my head. I swung, using all my strength. I fell through the air before landing with a roll on the ground, my staff digging up mud and grime, also upturning some roots. I summoned all my will power to continue with my sprint. I ducked under branches and weaved through trees. My chest was on fire and my throat was icy cold.

The moment I never expected... and tumbling down a steep hill was one of them at the moment. I rolled down the hillside, crashing through rocks and dead branches. A tree was obstructing my path as I rolled down the slope, with a sharp looking branch embedded in the trunk.


'This is going to hurt' I thought as I toppled my way closer and closer to the antagonizing tree. I proceeded to scrunch my face and close my eyes, getting ready for the incoming pain.

I crashed into the tree, the branch tore into my shoulder, snapping it in the process.

I let out a silent scream as the stick impaled itself more into my shoulder as I was still tumbling down the slope, I could feel it come out the other end. The wound felt like a railroad spike made of lava striking through the shoulder, every roll going down the hill felt like salt going into the wound, hammering the branch into my now split shoulder. Blood squirted out of limp veins, the red liquid seeping out of blood vessels barely hanging by a thread. The wound was now a small waterfall of blood on both ends of my body.

I noticed that my tumble came to a halt as I was now on flat ground, laden with leaves and mud. It was good that I had armor equipped or my lower legs would have been ripped to shreds by my staff, it definitely wouldn't have been a pretty sight to see nor feel.
And also... I think I lost pony princess one and two.
I breathed of sigh of relief, letting out a few chuckles.
I got up from the foilage riddled earth and cast my vision upon the hill, my trail now unrecognizable amongst the falling leaves hiding it from view.
I grabbed the stick embedded in my shoulder, I gasped in pain. I tugged at the timber, grunting in agony as I did that. It had to be removed.
It was going to hurt. Anything describing it would be an understatement...

*(Celestia's P.O.V)*

I flew after Luna, trying to calm her down. We were too quick to assumptions of Skorge, there was a serious, honest truth ringing with his words. He could have easily killed us and the guards then and there. But chose not to. An unwise move if he tried to. I will have to find and talk with him without anypony knowing, especially Luna, she's in a bad enough state as it is.

Luna has been acting very strange recently, she had a series of mood swings throughout the day when I talked or greeted her, she is not herself that much is for certain.

"Luna!" My voice breaking through the winds. She chose to ignore me completely, continuing her search to hunt Skorge. It was futile, he was too fast. He sped through those trees and undergrowth far faster than I've seen of any animal, he had disappeared in the dense foilage of the Everfree forest, the opposite direction of the castle. If Discord hadn't tampered with his magic, this forest would be easier to navigate.

"Luna!" I used the voice this time. Luna came to halt, turning around swiftly, facing my direction. Her eyes were peculiar, a light green with reptilian slits. They vanished when she stared at me. I shook my head, thinking I was seeing things.

I flew over to her. "There's no point in looking for Skorge now, he is too deep in the Everfree and it is too dangerous." I reasoned with her, hoping to shine some light upon the situation. She stared at me with a desperate look.

"Thou art insane! A murderous creature in our land, and your letting it go!" Luna narrowed her eyes at me.

I needed a excuse to take her mind off of it. "He's too deep in the forest now, he will most likely get lost." Her hardened gaze softened a bit. "The creatures that deep in the forest would most likely kill him, and your in a frazzeled enough state as it is."

Luna looked down sheepishly. "Fine... but we still need to search for him."

"Indeed, but at a later date. For now, let us make our way back to the castle. It is nearing your time raise the moon." Luna nodded, proceeding to fly back to the castle. I hovered there, contemplating with the events that transpired. I cast my vision to the path Skorge had taken.

I placed a miniscule of my magic in him, so that I could detect him and myself only. I could find where he was in the Everfree.

"We will speak another time... Skorge..." I turned away slowly and made my way to the castle.

*(Cian's/Skorge's P. O. V)*

I broke off the end of the branch sticking (no pun intended) out of my back. Blood still gushing out of my left shoulder. Using all my willpower, I gripped the front end, now in a desperate attempt to remove it. Each tug of the branch felt like fire, I could feel every nerve and vein dragging off the timber. It was almost out.

I breathed in heavily, and gained all the courage I could muster. In one, swift movement, tearing out the branch. The red liquid was now dripping heavily out the wound. I stared at it for a few seconds.

"Well..." I mused in relief, the stick finally gone. "... It could be worse."

I got up carefully, cautious not to cause anymore unneeded damage to my shoulder. I took in my surroundings for the first time since fleeing into the forest. The ground was littered with leaves and sloppy mud, rotting branches that cast a woodland smell into the air. Rays of the days last light peeked through the gathering of leaves and timber a top the trees, creating a picture of shadows amongst the wet ground. Insects buzzed and flew by, latching onto anything organic to feed. Birds chirped and flew over head, perching on the many trees this forest had to offer. A lonely grey, rabbit hopped along, nibbling at the wide arrange of flowers in store for it. Knots of tree roots were spread across the ground, creating a viable tripping hazard if I wasn't careful. Moss and vines grew upwards along the trunks of the timber, coloring some of the bark a nice shade of green.

My stomach growled in hunger as I set my eyes on the rabbit. My teeth were as sharp as the most flawless of knifes, slicing into flesh with to little or no effort at all. I had no more molars from what I could feel, I was now a carnivore. Now presuming I could eat meat without it cooked was joy in and itself, for the lazy person that was me.

I tried moving my left arm, as I stretched out my appendage, a stinging sensation crept into my wound. It was just sore enough for me to ignore, but I had to cover it, incase of infection. Presuming it now had an infection. Taking this into thought, I ripped a piece of cloth from the front draping of my robe to use as a makeshift banndage, it won't be enough but it will do for now. I encircled the impaled area with the cloth, tying a knot at the end so it would stay in place. I looked at my handiwork. It looked more like a shoelace knot than anything else. It would do in the meantime.

I got into a pouncing stance, my small eyes locked onto the morsel I came to know as a rabbit. It ate, oblivious to the creature ready to kill it. It hopped along to the next flower, twenty feet in front of me. Exactly where I wanted it.

I jumped at the rabbit, its ears splayed back and prepared to run as fast as its legs could carry it. I was too quick, my clawed fingers pierced through its mid section. I could hear the snap of the spine as my fingers dug into the rabbit, a sickening noise, but I was too busy trying to silence the rabbit.

I used my left hand to dig my finger into its throat, I could hear the spray of blood as I tore along. Sickening indeed. The morsel stopped squirming immediatley after my actions. Its lifeless body on the ground between my hands which were covered in the creatures life liquid. I brought the dead rabbit up to my face, ready to consume it.

I tore into the lifeless rabbit, my mouth managing to swallow half of the creature. I dug my teeth into it, ripping apart the skin and splitting bones. The top half was now in my mouth, happily chewing away. It tasted good, almost like it was cooked. It was slightly warm due to its body heat. I chewed away for a around a minute. I looked down at the rest.

My left eye twitched, my throat getting warmer with stomach fluids travelling up my oesophagus. In my hands was the remains of the rabbit, its entrails hanging limply outside the body, half of its spinal cord remained. Blood dripping down its once silky coat of fur.

I dropped the remains, balling my hand into a fist and bringing it up to my mouth. I gagged for what seemed like minutes at a time. It passed after a good few minutes. I cast my gaze around the area, trying to forget about the event that had just transpired.

The forest was silent, deathily so. The birds were no longer chirping, the insects were no longer communicating. The night had fallen, and with it, the nocturnal creatures of the woods. A low, threatening growl had gained my attention from the bushes no more than thirty feet to my right. I turned quickly into that direction, unsheathing my staff, getting ready for a possible threat.

The head of a lion popped out of the bush, glaring at me with a hungry look in its eyes. The head of a goat appeared along side it, making me wonder why it wasn't attacking the goat. A head of a snake slithered out above, inbetween them. It stepped out of the foilage, their murderous gazes tranfixed with my being.

My blood ran cold, and my heart skipped a few beats. If my Greek mythology was right I was facing off a... Chimera... A fucking Chimera. Supposedly very dangerous creatures. I heard it growl threateningly, snapping me out of my daze.

The creature got into a pouncing state, ready to kill me like I had done with the rabbit earlier. I got into my combat stance, activating the trigger on my staff, the chainsaws at both ends grinding to life. Apparantley the noise of the machination only made it angrier. It pounced.

Time seemed to have moved in slow motion as it did this. It was only a few meters away now. I barrel rolled to the side as it landed where I had been a few milliseconds ago. I swung my staff a full 180 degrees into its side, leaving a long, grueling scar. It howled in pain as I was now preparing to decapitate one of its heads.

The chimera saw this coming and jumped backwards, leaving me cutting nothing but air. The creature rushed me in my oblivious state, catching me by surprise. It was now lashing at me with a flurry of attacks, cuts and scrapes were laden across my body as ducked, dodged, weaved and blocked. I blocked an impeding attack from the snake head with my staff, it latched onto my staff holding onto my weapon with an iron grip, this was now a game of tug of war whilst dodging assailments from a goat and a lion.

I pulled and I heaved, but to no avail, its grip was too strong. It held onto my weapon, refusing to let go. I tugged at it harder this time, I was sure I heard the sound of ripping flesh. I looked up at the snake, its face was that of utmost pain, it was straining itself past the limit. Using this newfound oppurtunity, I prised with tremendous effort. The tearing of skin was heard along with the wet sounds of blood impacting the leaves, making a hollow noise off of them.

The snake tail was ripped away from the hybrid, its teeth shattered as I pulled the staff away from its grip. It lay motionless on the ground, blood seeping out of its decapitation point. The Chimera roared in absolute agony, it grunted and whimpered in pain as it stared with fury in its eyes, not backing down.

We encircled eachother. The both us not giving up. It let off threatening swipes in my direction. I didn't even flinch. It jumped at me when I was pretended to be turned the other way. I raised my staff to angle in its direction, its eyes going wide with fear. It impacted the chainsaw, letting off roars of utmost agony, the pain of a thousand suns flared in its chest. I grinded away upwards, tearing vital organs and splitting its ribcage apart. Blood splattered on every inch of my body, turning my front end into a new color. Deep red.

I continued tranversing the staff upwards, now reaching the line between the lion head and the goat head. The last pieces of skin holding it together snapped, gushing out more blood into my face. The chimera's upper body was now split down the middle. I was now standing in an acute angle of its body. Its insides and entrails now free to look at. The creature was as lifeless as a car with no engine.

I looked around the area, my heart beating a hundred miles a second. I was pretty sure it would have exploded. The howls and roars of sinsiter animals were now heard, most likely sniffed out the blood from the corpse. I needed to leave the area. I ran north of my current position.

One thing I didn't notice whilst facing off the chimera was that I could see in the dark. It was bloody helpful, I'll tell you that. I ducked under branches and eluded trees. It continued like this for another five minutes, I was now a long way away from chimeran territory. I stopped and gazed around the viscinity for the fifth time that day, I was in a clearing. I spotted something perfect that I could sleep the night away in, a hollow log. It was the only thing that would most likely keep me safe for the night.

I sheathed my staff, and proceeded to crawl down into the hollow trunk. It was a miracle that it fit my size. I tossed and turned, trying to get comfortable, in which I couldn't, not with the staff digging into my back.

Instead of sleeping, I contemplated the next best thing. Zoning out. I proceeded to go into my La-La land and also divising something that could get me back home, in Ireland, and back with my brother and off of this rock.

My zoning out got the better of me as I was now cast in the embrace of sleep.

*(Third-person P.O.V)*

Celestia was standing on the balcony in her chambers, unable to get to sleep as Skorge's magical signature was only a mile out of the castle. Luna would surely detect him from the dreamscape. Celestia was getting anxious.

"I need to warn him." She spoke quietly to herself.

The Princess of the Sun flared her wings, taking off into the sky with undefined elegance. She hovered along, just below the cloud level. Only a few hundred meters out now. She prepared to lower at an angle, descending the last couple of hundred meters. She was nearing the tree line. She flared her wings out and came to a halt just above the leaves. She detected Skorge's signature in a clearing to her right.

Celestia landed with care, now next to the toppled trunk Skorge was sleeping in. She peeked into the hollow log, seeing Skorge's face. She jumped at the sight of it. Celestia knocked the image away from her mind and gathered up her bravery, prepared to wake him.

She was interrupted by the sound of steps emanating behind her. She was getting worried. She turned around to face the assailant, only to be greeted with light in her eyes and a bipedal being, in olive green armor.

Author's Note:

Well what do you know!

Celestia feels pity for him, luna will still try to imprison and or kill skorge. And a new being. I'll do it from Marks P.O.V in next chapter to show how he stumbled across Celly, he still doesn't know skorge is in the log.