• Published 10th Jun 2014
  • 10,441 Views, 1,438 Comments

Time Ticks on - Golden Script



Our hero was in for a surprise after attending a Steampunk convention. A new time piece will bring him into a conflict that will decide the fate of a country: Equestria, a land full of magical ponies, hidden dangers, and immensely powerful rulers.

  • ...
59
 1,438
 10,441

6. Piece of the Past: Time to Learn

“Um…” I said dumbly. I’d never been bowed to before, and I never thought I’d receive a bow in the first place, but now that I was standing before this being showing his apparent respect for me I was a bit stunned.

“It would be my immense honor if you would fight by my side.” Discord tensed at the thought of my possible refusal to be his champion. “Please. If not for me, for my subjects!” he practically begged.

“Ok, ok, I will! Just stand up, you’re embarrassing me.” I said hurriedly.

“Oh, thank you, Lord of Time! You don’t know what this means to me!” he said as he visibly relaxed at my agreement. He took a deep breath and stood, looking me in the eyes seriously as he said “next we train you. You’ve shown that you don’t know how to harness your powers, and you’ll lose without them.” He turned around and started walking towards the forest in the distance.

“Wax on wax off, Mr. Miyagi.” I mumbled to myself as I followed him.

“I will not be teaching you Karate, Daniel-san. I’ll be teaching you how to control time.” He said, not turning around.

I was stunned. I hadn’t said it that loud. In fact, the wind should have covered it up. But he heard it nonetheless.

“You should learn to use your mind. It’s the only place I can’t listen in without actually attempting to.”

“Got it.” I said as I thought ‘So, basically, wax on wax off.’

“Good. And yes, wax on wax off.” He said with a smirk.

-----
IN WHITETAIL WOODS

Luna was watching the two beings in the field talk. There was a moment when the creature that Discord had summoned teleported in front of the draconequus’ face, scaring him a bit. At this point Luna made a note to tell her sister of these powers. When they began walking towards the tree line that the lunar princess was hiding in she momentarily panicked, thinking they’d spotted her. She had forgotten that she was still using her magic and canceled the spell.

Using her wings, Luna fled deeper into the forest dodging trees as her mind raced. ‘What kind of creature can use teleportation magic without using magic? I didn’t feel any disturbance in the magical field when it did that, did I? And what did he mean "Lord of Time"? Either way, Discord is planning to use this creature against us. I need to learn more about it and inform my sister so we may plan a counter strategy.’

‘First thing’s first’ she decided. ‘Acquire as much information regarding Discord’s champion as possible.

-----
IN THE EVERFREE FOREST

Celestia had been wandering aimlessly through the Everfree for an hour with nothing to show for it. The forest she was in had chaos magic laced through the trees, in the grass, and even floating on the breeze. There was no way to tell where you were, unless you were well acquainted with the forest. If something magical, like the Elements of Harmony, wanted to be found they would guide you there. You would have to trust the magic of the artifact to lead you in the right direction, which was exactly what Celestia was doing.

“Another fork.” She mumbled to herself. “Exactly how many twists and turns can there be in one forest?” the exasperation in her voice was palpable. This was the sixty-third fork, several of which had multiple paths to choose from—she’d been counting.

She sighed at the choice before her and chose right. As she started walking down the path she looked skyward, wondering if Luna was any more successful at her own task. This is why she almost fell into a giant ravine.

“Whew, that was close.” She breathed as the adrenaline left her system. “One more step and I’d be flying back up.” She chuckled. Just because the princesses had wings doesn’t mean that they enjoyed using them. They were the embodiments of all three races; pegasi, unicorn, and earth pony. This made flying possible but a fairly extraneous task, seeing as they were quite large.

“Is there a way across?” her head swiveled around, looking for a bridge of some kind as she mumbled this. When her search yielded no results she slumped her head, downtrodden by the fact that she’d be flying across.

“I hate flying.” She said as she flapped her wings and glided across the fissure. When her hooves touched the other side she folded her wings back against her side and began walking again.

There was a five minute period where the trail didn’t diverge, change direction, stop, or alter in any way. Celestia saw this as an improvement. Her spirits were momentarily lifted as she continued walking along.

The alicorn felt a chill run up her spine as a roar tore through the dark forest.

-----
IN THE FIELD JUST OUTSIDE WHITETAIL WOODS

“What do you know so far?” Discord asked me. We’d been walking for no more than thirty seconds, in which time I’d loosened my tie, unbuttoned two buttons of my shirt, and taken my coat off.

“Only what you’ve shown me.” I said as I fished the watch out of my pocket.

“Well, then we don’t have much more to go over. It may take some time to master, though. Let’s begin.” He put a claw to his chin. “Ah! I know. We’ll have us a race!” he stated gleefully.

“How will that train me?” I asked.

“You’ll have to be quick on your feet to beat me. I may look old, and I might be old, but don’t think for a second that makes me slow.” He playfully winked at me.

“Ok, what’s the rules?” we’d stopped walking, making it easier to adjust my coat over my arm as I asked this.

“No rules, but we’ll race again every time you lose.” He stated simply. “Readysetgo!” and there was a flash of light. I blinked the spots from my eyes as I tried to find Discord, who had disappeared. When I did find him he was leaning against a tree at the edge of the forest.

“Wait! That’s not fair!” I called to the cheating king.

“No rules, remember?” he called back. There was another flash and he was next to me.

“Roundtworeadysetgo!” There was another flash. This time it didn’t take as much time for me to find him, seeing as he wasn’t in the same place, but still at the forests edge.

“Ok, that’s just not fair.” I said as I crossed my arms. He teleported back to me with a sly grin.

“If you don’t even try, there’s no way you can win.” He told me simply.

“Fine.” I huffed. “Readysetgo!” and I started running towards the forest.

There was a bright light behind me and, yet again, I lost. He was already at the tree line, yawning into his paw.

“You suck, you know that?” I asked after he teleported us back to the starting area.

“Yep! Readyse-” I clicked my watch, stopping him in his tracks. I immediately felt the effects wrack my body. I quickly tidied myself up, buttoning my shirt and putting my jacket on. He was still standing there, his mouth open in a short “e” shape. There I took a minute to just fume at him, yelling in my mind at how stupid that Cheater-McCheaterson was.

When I had finished I looked at him once more, thinking about ways to get him back. A few ideas sped through my mind before I thought about something I hadn’t tried yet.

What would happen if I touched him?

I decided to explore this question, wondering what the result would be. Walking up to his face I started searching for a good place to poke. There wasn’t a spot that really stood out, so I went with the simplest.

I poked his nose.

The result was a little anticlimactic, seeing as the only difference was a small indent in his snout. I shrugged, thinking the only thing I’d done was leave a mark. I walked to the forest, picked a tree, leaned against it, and thumbed my watch once more.