• Published 29th May 2014
  • 678 Views, 5 Comments

The Little Sister - Z-A-C



During a "special" night mission, Seth hears a scream. He abandons his main objective and goes to investigate the scream.

  • ...
10
 5
 678

Chapter Four

Seth's POV


I looked around and saw that I was in a dark room. I could see nothing but the floor I was standing on, and a table in the middle of the room.

"Please, have a seat." Said a deep, familiar voice.

"What do you want Death?" I said in an annoyed tone. "And why am I here?"

"Take a seat and I will answer any question you may have."

I frowned and walked over to the table. I sat down and crossed my arms. Soon after, the Grim Reaper materialized in the seat across from me. "Well?" I said with a scowl.

Death held up a hand. "Before all of the unpleasantness, how do you like my gift?"

"Your gift?" I raised an eyebrow. "You mean bringing Elaine here? That's your idea of a gift?"

Death shrugged. "Well, I think bringing her to you was the better of the two options. Tell me: Would you really want your dear sister dead?" I had no answer. "I brought her to you to give her a second chance at life, and to give you a choice."

"And what would that be?" I said, unamused.

"I know Celestia has a spell that can take her back, but I also know it takes a lot of energy to cast it. Your choice is this: You can either help her build a life here, or you can send her back to Earth at the cost of Celestia's well being. I could give you my suggestion-"

"Save it." I said rubbing his eyes. "Look, I know your not like the Grim Reaper before you. But I don't appreciate this. I do thank you for bringing her here instead of outright killing her, though. But there has to be a reason for this 'choice'."

Death 'frowned'. "I have no ulterior motive here, Seth. The choice is completely yours."

"But where's the catch?"

"There isn't one. Why do you not trust me?"

I kept my expression blank. "Forgive me if I have hesitations about this." I leaned back into the chair. "I know there's something you're not telling me."

"You are being paranoid."

"Am I? Really?"

"Look, I like you, Seth. I'm not going to try to fool you like he did." He paused and shook his head. "Our time is up. Please take what I said in trust."

"Unlikely."

Death sighed. "Very well. Wake up."


My eyes slowly opened. I lifted my head and looked around. Everyone was starring at me. "Sorry guys, I guess I'm a little more tired than I thought I was."

Celestia stifled a laugh and smiled. "It's quite alright. Why don't you go home and rest? I dismiss you from duty for today."

"Thank you princess, but I think I'm good for the rest of the day. I will be going home though. I just want to check on the changelings before I leave."

Celestia nodded. "The undecided and allied are in the courtyard."

I stood up. "Thank you." I looked at Elaine. "Coming? Or should I come get you later?"

"I'm coming with you. Rarity mentioned she needs to get back soon as well."

"We can leave together from the courtyard." Rarity said.

I shrugged. "I guess that would be fine." I turned toward Celestia once more. "Well princess, I take my leave."

She smiled. "Farewell Seth. I will contact you if needed."

I nodded and moved toward the doorway. I stopped and waited for the two girls to walk around the table. Once they had I escorted them toward the courtyard.

"Seth?" Elaine said walking next to me.

"Yes, sister of mine?"

"I've never seen you so relaxed before. You never were able to fall asleep like that..."

I sighed. "Blame that on mom and dad. I always felt that one of them would steal money or something when I was sleeping. I even slept hugging my fucking wallet before I came here."

Elaine seemed shocked. "We're they really that tight on money?"

I laughed. "No, they just didn't think I deserved the money I worked for. They even tried to get me to give up both paychecks!" I sighed. "But we're good now. I don't see them, they don't see me, or can't rather." I shrugged. "Better subject please?"

"Well... I was also wondering, what happened to your eye?"

"Oh, that's a long story. It'd be easier to just show you."

Rarity gave a nervous chuckle. "Seth sweetie, your not really going to do that?"

"Don't worry, I won't. She will find out at some point though. Just not now." Elaine raised an eyebrow, but said nothing more. She retreated back next to Rarity and walked in silence.

I hummed in thought. "Hey, how about we go to Gloomy Town after we stop by my place?"

Rarity stopped. "You can't be serious?! That's where your taking her first?"

I shrugged. "Well, the way I figure, why not get the worst over with first? At some point she's going to meet them, why not right away?"

Rarity still looked unsure. "Do you think she'll be safe?"

I nodded. "I'll make sure that she will."

"So, what's all the caution about?" Elaine said with a raised eyebrow.

"Gloomy Town is a town of zombie ponies, in the middle of an evil forest." I shrugged. "That's what. I wouldn't worry though, they're actually really nice."

Elaine said nothing, but looked at Rarity. Who gave her a reassuring smile. All three walked in silence from there on.


We walked in front of the group of changelings. I smiled and waved. "Okay, officially I can't ask you guys any questions. Unofficially, I don't care." The changelings looked at each other, and Shining Armor raised an eye brow. "But, I'm not really here to ask any questions." I paused. "Okay, maybe one. Has the undecided made a decision yet?"

Shining walked up to me. "Two are now allied, one is still undecided, and one rebels."

"Wasn't asking you, but now I have an answer. Thank you Captain. Take the rebel to the dungeon, and escort the allies to Luna."

"What about the undecided?"

I looked to the changelings. "Who is the undecided!" I yelled, surprising everyone around me. Except Stillbourne. He just smiled.

A changeling walked in front of the group. "I-I am, s-s-sir." He nervously said.

Seth smiled and clapped his hands together. "Splendid! Your coming with me."

"What?!" Shining yelled. "Captain Miller, I'm not sure you can do that."

I thought about it for a bit. "I don't see a problem with it." I shrugged. "Plus my sister here needs a friend!" Shining looked passed Seth, and saw Elaine. Who smiled nervously and waved.

"Oh, hello there." He saw the other female that was present. "And hello Rarity. How are you two this afternoon?"

"We're doing great, thank you!" Rarity said. "This is Elaine, she will be staying with Seth in Ponyville."

"Hello Elaine. I am Shining Armor, Captain of the Royal Guard. It's nice to meet you."

Elaine curtsied. "It's nice to meet you too"

I motioned to the neutral changeling. "Come on! I don't have all day!"

"Y-yes sir." He said, walking over.

I nodded when the changeling walked up. "Alright, I think we're set. Be nice to them Captain. And give Stillbourne my Ponyville address." Shining slowly nodded with a questioning look on his face. "We are taking the train. Which should be leaving soon." I checked my watch. "Yep, we need to go!" And I high-tailed it to the train station.


A stallion walked up to me. "Hello Seth! How did your missions go?"

"Hey buddy. They were all successful, thanks for asking."

The stallion smiled. "Well, I suppose you wouldn't be seating here if otherwise, huh?"

We both laughed. "That's right!" I said.

"It was nice seeing you, but I have to get back to work. We still on for drinks?"

I nodded."Whenever you're free." I patted him on the back. "Well, I won't keep ya, I'm sure your busy." The stallion just nodded and continued asking ponies for their tickets. "Never did learn his name..." I leaned back, and stretched. "Speaking of names, I haven't got yours."

"M-mine?" The changeling asked.

"Who else?"

"It's um..." He trailed off and looked at the floor.

I motioned for Elaine to say something. "Y-you can tell us." She said.

"I-it's..." He pause for a few seconds. "It's Mime..."

"Hello Mime. I'm Captain of the Special Operations division of the Royal Guard, Seth Miller." I gestured to my sister and friend. "This is my sister Elaine, and the Element of Generosity, Rarity."

"Hello darling!" Rarity said, while Elaine just waved.

"H-hi." He said nervously.

"So, Mime, were you apart of the invasion?" He said nothing and looked at the floor. "Come on, you can tell us. Nopony is going to hurt you."

Elaine raised an eyebrow. "Nopony?"

I nodded. "It's the pony equivalent to 'nobody'. Though, they're used to hearing 'nobody' thanks to me. Hell, even I use it occasionally." Elaine had an unsure look on her face. "Twilight will probably want to teach you about Equestria when she gets back."

"Okay then." She said slowly.

"Anyway, Mime. Were you, or weren't you?"

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "Yes. Yes, I was..." After awhile, he slightly opened an eye to see if Rarity or I were angry. I yawned, and Rarity was quietly talking to Elaine.

"I see," I said, looking Mime in the eye. "Were you lucky enough to land close enough to your Hive?"

He seemed confused by my indifference and Rarity's general disinterest in the conversation. "I was..." He said slowly. "The queen, two others, and I landed a hundred feet from the entrance."

I smiled. "Glad to hear it."

Mime had a look of disbelief on his face. "Can I asked you a question?"

I felt my smile faltered a bit. "Sure, go ahead."

"Were you in Equestria during the Invasion of Canterlot?"

I nodded my head. "I was. Just not in Canterlot."

"Aren't you even a little bit mad at us?" I shook my head. "Why?"

"You were acting on the orders given to you. I can't, nor think anypony should, hold you against that."

"Have you ever hated us?"

"Nope." I looked out of the window, and sighed. "A few days after the invasion, I found a changeling in my village. The ponies were kicking dust in her face, and throwing sticks and stones at her." Mime's face turned to a fearful expression. "And you know I did?"

"What did you do?" Both Mime and Elaine said at the same time.

"I picked her up, yelled at the ponies, and carried her home. Then I convinced Fluttershy to take care of her." I smiled at the expression on Mime's face. "I, as well as the other Elements, protected her from the town until she was able to fend for herself."

"What happened when she got better?" Elaine asked.

"She stayed. And eventually, the town got used to her presence. Now she has her own house, and even a job. She's married too!"

"To a...pony?"

I shook my head. "No, to another changeling. You might know her wife better as Doppelganger, but she goes by Ganger now-a-days."

"She married a female?"

I hardened my expression. "That a problem?" I asked in a deep voice, startling both Mime and Elaine. It even got Rarity's attention.

"N-no, not at all! Just surprised. That was very rare in the Hive."

"Good. I'd hate to have to punt-kick you back to Canterlot." I yawned again. "Anyway, I didn't bring you along for me. I brought you for my sister."

"Why?"

I shrugged. "I figure it will help her get used to life here. I mean you both aren't to different. You know what I mean?"

He nodded his head. "I think so. We're both going to have to get accustomed to Equestria."

"And what better place to start than Ponyville? It's a nice place, you two will like it." Mime and Elaine exchanged unsure glances, but said nothing.

I smiled and looked at Mime. It's nice to see that he's already thinking about allying himself.


The train's wheels screeched to a halt and I stretched arms and legs. "I think we're here." I stood up began walking toward the closest exit.

The train fully stopped and shortly after the doors opened. I waited for my party to walk over, and walked out when they did. I threw my arms out in a Pinkie-like fashion. "Welcome to Ponyville! It's not much at first glance, but it's home."

"One of my dreams was to live in a country town." Elaine said.

"Well, now that dream can be fulfilled. And your room-mate is your dead brother!" I laughed.

"Yeah..."

"Oh, cheer up darling! I'm sure he was just joking." Rarity said, trying to cheer her up.

I shook my head. "Not really. I mean I am an undead after all." Elaine gave him a questioning stare. "But, that's a story for another day. Lets swing by my house, then go to Gloomy Town."

"I'm rather busy today actually." Rarity said, then faced Elaine. "Do come by sometime. I would love to make you a new outfit!"

Elaine smiled. "I'll be sure to, thank you Rarity."

She smiled back. "It's no trouble dear. Ta-ta for now!"

"See ya Rares!" I waved. "Alright, let's go."

I lead them to my house. I pointed out the big tree and told them that's where Twilight lives. Elaine didn't look convinced, and Mime just nodded. A short distance away from it was my house.

I walked up to the front door, took out a key from my pocket and unlocked it. Or that's what would have happened, but the door wasn't locked. I face-palmed and opened the door. "Ganger, I'm back!"

There was a thump from somewhere in the house. my eyes grew wide and I started to hastily take off my equipment. I had just taken my combat vest off, when a large white blur crash into me. Knocking me to the ground.

The blur turned out to be a very happy Great Pyrenees named Sparky, who was trying to lick me to death.

"Okay, Okay!" I said in between laughs. "Down boy, down!" Sparky licked me a few more times, then backed off. I sat up and saw Sparky sitting there patiently. I smiled and hugged him. "I missed you too, boy." Sparky made a noise. "Huh?" I broke the hug and stood up. Sparky pawed in the other two's direction. "Oh yeah, that's Mime and Elaine. She's my sister."

Sparky wagged his tail, walked over to them and sat down in front of Elaine. There was an awkward silence with Sparky just staring at them. I smiled and laughed. "He wants to shake your hand." Elaine raised an eyebrow, and extended her hand. And sure enough, he shook it.

Sparky turned to Mime and licked his face. I laughed and Sparky turned around, wagging his tail. I patted his head. "Where's Ganger?" He gently took my hand in his mouth, and lead me to the master bedroom. I shook my head at what I saw. Doppelganger was asleep on the bed.

I walked over to the bed and told Sparky to jump on it. He did, and the results were hilarious. Ganger screamed and jumped up and off of the bed. There a loud "thunk" sound when she hit the floor. I started laughing and she stood up. "Not cool."

"Well, neither is sleeping when you're supposed to be house sitting." I said with a smile.

"Come on! It was just a little nap!"

"Chill out, I'm just giving you a hard time. Everything go alright with Sparky?"

She looked over at the dog with a slight glare. "Mostly, until you got him to jump on the bed..."

I shrugged. "I'm an ass sometimes." Ganger gave me a blank look. "Anyway, I've brought guests. Care to meet them?"

Ganger shrugged. "Sure."

We walked into the living room. Sparky stayed on the bed. "Alright, introduce yourselves. I'm going to the bathroom. We leave when I get out." And I walked off. I didn't really go to bathroom. I hid behind the wall, and watched how Elaine interacted with them.

Elaine rolled her eyes and shook her head. She looked at the changeling in front of her. "Um...hello, I'm Elaine. Who are you?"

"Names Doppelgänger, but you can call me Ganger for short. Nice to meet you." Ganger then look at the other one of her species in the room. "And I thought you were dead." She said with a smile. She walked up and hugged him. "How have you been?"

He hugged her back. "Good, thanks. I came to Equestria in search of my brother, and ended up joining a changeling resistance force to increase my chances. Never found him though..." Ganger hugged him tighter. "Something wrong?" Mime asked.

"Mimic didn't make it... He was with Double and I, and we were attacked. I'm sorry..."

Mime patted her on the back. "It's okay, I'm sure you two tried your best to save him."

"Double didn't make it either..."

He broke the hug and looked at her in shock. "How did you make it, if he didn't?"

"I'll introduce you to the one who saved me later. But in the meantime! Elaine, your human, right? Are related to Seth?"

"I'm his little sister, actually."

"He's a pretty cool guy, he must have been great growing up with!"

"Not from what I remember. He mostly kept to himself and stayed in his room a lot. And when wasn't in his room, he was either fighting with our parents or at work."

Ganger didn't look like she knew how to respond to that, so I chose that moment to show up again. "Okay, time to go. If you need to use the bathroom, it's the first door on the left." Elaine nodded and left. I looked at the two changelings. "Mime, you can stay here and catch up with Ganger if you want."

"That sounds like a good idea, thank you."

"No problem." I stood there chatting with them until Elaine got out of the bathroom. "Alright, you ready?" Elaine nodded. "Okay, let's go."

Author's Note:

If you find any mistakes, please tell me.

[DONE]