• Published 29th May 2014
  • 677 Views, 5 Comments

The Little Sister - Z-A-C



During a "special" night mission, Seth hears a scream. He abandons his main objective and goes to investigate the scream.

  • ...
10
 5
 677

Chapter One

Seth's POV


I peered into my scope through the night-vision goggles I remembered to bring this time. I was in the Everfree Forest, on a mission from God... Well, technically not, but the ponies think so. "Targets are in sight, your highness." I said into the headset.

"How many hostiles?" Celestia asked telepathically. This particular headset was more or less a prototype "two-way" radio system. Working with both radio signals (for Earth ponies and pegasi) and unicorn telepathy. This was the field test.

I surveyed the area. "Just a squads worth. There are probably more though." I did a quick weapons check. Everything was good, so I spoke into the headset again. "What do you want me to do?"

"This is a reconnaissance mission, Ezekiel. Hold fire unless something goes wrong."

"Roger, roger." I adjusted the headset. "What am I looking for again?"

Celestia sighed. "I need to know how many there are, and if they have a headquarters."

I furrowed my brow. "They're just rogues, there's no way there can't be that many."

"I want to be sure. We don't want anymore surprises."

I shook my head. "We're allied with the changelings now. Chrysalis is even their ambassador."

"I know that, I just want to be sure."

"Alright, I hear ya." After a couple minutes, a slightly larger changeling walked out of a tent. "I'm seeing activity."

"What's happening?"

"It looks like the commander is giving orders. They're chittering though, I can't understand what they're saying."

"Keep watching them."

"Will do."


After about fifteen minutes, I switched his headset back on. "Do you read me, your highness?"

"Yes, what do you have to report?"

"It seems the meeting is-" Just then there was a feminine scream from somewhere relatively nearby. "What the hell?"

"What's happening?" I didn't respond. "Ezekiel?"

"Please stop calling me that." I said in an irritated tone.

"That is your call sign, is it not?" Celestia asked.

"It is, but that's not important right now. I heard a scream from somewhere nearby. What should I do?"

Celestia was silent for a few moments, before sighing. "Stay on mission. My little ponies get lost in the forest all the time. It is unfortunate but, I can't allow you to take a meal from the wildlife."

"The rogues heard it too."

"What are they doing?"

I looked the area over. "Nothing, it seems." There was another scream. "Celestia, I can't just leave her."

"Stay on mission!"

"What if the rogues get her before the wildlife does!? I'm not leaving her!" I grabbed the headset and put it in my field jacket pocket. I could hear Celestia yelling my call sign, but I ignored her.

I slowly crawled out of my Sniper's Perch*, and looked around to see if there were any hostiles nearby. There weren't. Using the trees and bushes, I went cover-to-cover, moving as silently and as quickly as I could.

I was about fifty feet away from my perch when I heard the scream again. It was louder and sounded more frantic this time. "I have to hurry, she might not make it!" I whispered. I was about to pick up the pace when a rogue patrol ran passed me. I hid behind a nearby tree.

Two stragglers from the patrol stopped in front of the tree. I mentally cursed them. "I don't have time for this!" I thought as I unholstered my newly suppressed revolver, and took aim. Then they started talking.

"So, what do you think the screaming is about?" One changeling said.

"I don't know," The other one shrugged. "It's probably just another pony being attacked be a manticore. I really don't see why we have to investigate."

"But the commander said it was different from a pony's scream."

"I don't know how he can tell. All female screams sound the same to me."

"Yeah, same here. Hey, we're falling behind. Let's catch up before they notice."

"Agreed." And they both ran off in the direction of the rest of the patrol.

I grabbed the headset, and put it on. "Come in, Boss."

"What do you think you are doing?!" Celestia yelled.

I smiled playfully. "Disobeying a direct order from a commanding officer."

Celestia sighed. "What do you have to report?" She said in an exasperated tone.

"The changelings have taken an interest in the screaming pony as well. And I was right, there are more than just a squads worth. A patrol of six just passed me." I said as I hid in a bush.

Celestia was silent for a few seconds. "I guess it can't be helped. Did you hear anything from the patrol?"

"One of them mentioned that their commander said the scream was different from a pony's, whatever that means." I hid behind another tree. "I'm following them until I get a better direction. I'm maintaining stealth protocol as ordered."

"Well at least you're following some of my orders." She went silent again.

"Boss?"

"Keep following them as you have been."

"Roger that. I'll let you know if it goes pear shaped. Is my tracker still workin'?"

"Yes, I have your location. I'm prepping a support squad just in case. Be careful."

"Oh, I will be." I said in a cocky tone. "Out."


There haven't been any screams for awhile, this worried me. I stopped following the patrol when they split up, and now had no direction. I thought I was in a familiar area in the forest, but I could just be fooling himself.

I was about to move again until I heard a voice behind him. "Master?" I quickly turned around with my revolver drawn. "Shoot me if you must, just know that it won't do much."

"God dammit Shadow!" I whisper yelled.

"And a good evening to you as well." Shadow chuckled. "Are you here about the disturbance?"

"So you heard the screams too, huh?" Shadow nodded. "Not originally. I was here on a mission from Celestia, it seems more rogue changelings are appearing."

"I see. And you changed objectives?" I nodded proudly. "Since it is your mission now, I may be of service to you."

"I'd appreciate that." I said in a thankful tone. "Anything you know that I don't?"

Shadow smiled. "Always." I crossed my arms and gave him a blank stare. Clearly not amused. And Shadow sighed. "The disturbance started before the screams, I sent Charles out to investigate."

"So, you keep in contact with him? That's good."

"Indeed. I have yet to hear back him, though."

"What have you been doing in the meantime?" I asked.

"Keeping an eye on my prisoners of course. I've captured two wayward changelings. They're in my cave."

"That was fast, they split up only ten minutes ago."

Just then, we heard something running toward us. I aimed my revolver, while Shadow just turned to look in the direction the sound was coming from.

Shadow put a hand on my revolver, making me lower it, and a manticore burst from the bushes. "Find anything Charles?" He said.

"Yes, come with me. We haven't much time."

"That doesn't sound good." I said holstering my revolver.

"Stop talking and hurry!" With that Charles turned around and ran off. Shadow and I not far behind.

We arrived at a familiar clearing after a few minutes of running. "Well, this takes me back." I said in a slightly nostalgic tone.

"Shh, look." I scanned the clearing, and saw a faintly glowing green cocoon. "Seems we weren't quick enough." Charles said, looking at the cocoon.

"Depends on what cocoon it is." I clenched my fists. "Damn, I knew I should have kept following them!"

"Calm down, Seth." Shadow said reassuringly. He looked over to the far side of the clearing. "They've returned."

I nodded. "I need to tell the Boss." They both nodded their heads. "Come in, Tia."

"What have you found?" She said with a sense of urgency in her voice.

"They've captured the screaming pony. She's in a cocoon. I don't know what type it is. We have changelings closing in on it, though." Seth looked at Shadow. "What are your orders?"

"Free the pony by any means. If they're getting this bold, we need to step up operations. I have a support squad on the way. Either hold off until they get there, or if you can, talk them down. But if you have to eliminate them-"

"Do it. Gotcha." I said turning off the receiver.

"What's the word, Master?"

"Reinforcements are on the way. We can either talk them down, or take them out. What do you think?"

"Let's try the first option." Charles said. "No need for fighting if it isn't necessary."

"Agreed" I said, reaching for Flash Jar* that was hanging from my belt. "Cover your eyes." They did and I threw it. There a loud crash and then a bang. And then we ran out into the clearing.

We positioned themselves in front of the cocoon, and took a defensive stance. I drew a small pistol from a second holster and pointed it in the air. There was a loud popping sound as I pulled the trigger. And then a large ball of light settled in the air at the middle of the clearing, illuminating the ground.

There were fifteen changelings in front of us, either holding their ears or rubbing their eyes. "Crap, I really hope this doesn't go pear shaped." I said, in a slightly panicky voice.

There was angry buzzing when the effects wore off. And all three readied themselves for combat. Two changelings growled and stepped forward. I dropped the candlelight spell gun, and grabbed my ill-gotten, but trusty MP5. Taking the safety off and putting it on automatic. A few more changelings stepped forward, and then a few more.

I took aim, and was ready to put my finger on the trigger. "HOLD!" A commanding voice rang out behind the platoon of changelings.

"Commander present!" Another changeling shouted. The rogues immediately stopped and parted ways. Making way for their commander. The commander soon stood in front of the platoon and spoke.

"So, you're the mercenary I've heard about. What do we owe for this pleasure?"

"Tell me why you formed an army, why you captured this pony, and let me take you in to see the princess!"

He tapped his chin in thought. "I may have to pass on that, sorry." He looked passed the three. "And I was just informed about our latest capture. I know about as much as you do."

"He's way too calm..." I said, still aiming at the commander. The other two nodded.

The commander took a step forward, making me and the other two tense up. He noticed. "Oh, I'm terribly sorry. May I approach?"

I thought about it for a second. I looked at Shadow, who nodded. "You may, but if you try anything funny..."

He laughed. "I promise I won't. I am merely interested in what my underlings have captured." Seth put the safety back on, and shouldered the MP5. "Thank you." The commander said as he began to walk forward.

Once he got close enough, he stopped in front of Seth and held out a fore hoof. "I'm Commander Stillbourne, who do I have the pleasure of meeting?"

I took the hoof and gave it a quick shake. "Codename Ezekiel, and these are my allies."

"Not going to tell me your real name? Oh well, it's good to meet you all the same! Now," He said moving passed them. "What do we have here?" He peered into the cocoon. "It's not equine that's for sure." He examined it a little more. "Looks more like," He looked back at Seth. "Well, this is interesting."

"What?! How can you see what's in it?"

"Worry not, mercenary. You have to be at least equine to see into changeling cocoons." He looked at it again. "While this does interest me, we have no use for it. You may have it." He turned around and began to walk off.

"How do we open it?" Shadow deadpanned.

Stillbourne stopped in his tracks. "Silly me, I almost forgot." He walked back up to it and cut it with his horn. Making the glowing green goo spill out onto the ground. "There you go! Now, we must be leaving. It would be a shame to waste too much time here." He turned around once more.

And was faced with a squad of elite night and day Guardsponies. "HALT!" The leader of the squad commanded. "You are under arrest under Celestia's order!"

"Oh, drat!" Stillbourne sighed. "Stand Down, my underlings. We are not strong enough to take on the elites!"

I raised an eyebrow. "They're surrendering? N-no fight or anything?" Suddenly, one of the changelings attacked the guardsponies with a spell, which was quickly diffused and the changeling had a spear in his neck before anyone could blink.

Stillbourne shook his head. "And that is why we are surrendering." He looked back at Seth. "The Equestrian guard doesn't play around, do they?"

"No, and neither do I. Now, I suggest you go along without any fuss."

"I intend to, not that I have much choice. Besides, I'm only strong enough to take on two of them. I'm outmatched!"

"Wait," Charles said. "If you're as strong as you say you are, why didn't you attack us?"

He shrugged. "You didn't show any hostility. You used non-lethal means." He smiled. "It would be a different story if you did indeed attack my underlings, of course."

"Of course..." Seth leaned over to Shadow and whispered. "Make sure there are no ambushes, and check on the captive." Shadow nodded.

A rather rough pony walked up to Stillbourne. "Come on, don't make this any harder than it needs to be." Stillbourne nodded, and the pony took him to the rest of the changelings.

Seth shook his head. "Okay, that was too easy..."

"I'll check the perimeter for surprises."

"Good idea Charles. That makes it possible for Shadow to focus more on her."

"She is breathing. But... You may want to take a look." I heard Shadow say.

That was odd. Shadow never hesitates. I turned around and looked into the cocoon. My eyes widened at what I saw. "A... Human?" I knelt down to get a better look. My eyes widened even more. "There's no way. This isn't possible!"

"Master?" Shadow said in a concerned voice.

"Th-this is my sister. My little sister Elaine. What the hell is she doing here?" I shook my head. "We can figure that out later. Get her out of there, we need to clean her up and check her for injuries."

"I'll take care of her. You check on the prison escort." Shadow said, carefully dragging her away from the cocoon.

I nodded and walked over to the guards. "How's it coming?"

"We're almost ready to head out, sir."

"Okay, make sure everyone stays in check. And that includes your guys too, understand?"

"Yes, sir!"

Stillbourne looked at Seth with a raised eyebrow. "Sir? You aren't a mercenary after all, are you?"

I smiled and shook my head. "Nope. I'll tell you who I am when you're an ally to Equestria."

Stillbourne shrugged. "Fair enough."

"Alright!" A guard pony said. "Let's get these prisoners back to base!"

"I'll see you in Canterlot, Stillbourne. After I take care of something."

"I look forward to it!" He said as he began to move with the other prisoners.

I turned around, and shook my head. "He is way too friendly..." I turned on my headset's receiver. "Celestia, I have something to show you."


Hi, My name is Seth Miller. And that was the day my life, again, changed.

Author's Note:

*Sniper's Perch: Anything a sniper properly can use. From a deer blind to a hole in the ground. (To be fair, I don't even know if it's a real term.)
*Flash Jar: The Equestrian equivalent to a flash bang. Leaves a large plume of smoke, Duration depends on ventilation of the area. Also temporarily deafens and blinds the opponent.
*Candlelight Spell: See Skyrim spells.

Hope you enjoyed. If you find any errors let me know.

[DONE]